• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Danoss

You can cut corners all over the place in my build there. I build my PC's to last a reasonable length of time and find it better to spend more up-front than wanting to upgrade earlier.

Fredescu

This is sans monitor from Umart:

fw8Y5.png

Monitor wise I would recommend one of these: http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/...cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=230-11540&redirect=1

They're IPS, so you get excellent viewing angles and colour uniformity and such. You can use this code at the cart 4MZR3KTJJRT0VS to bring it down to $250 or so, making your total roughly $1384. Does that fit the budget? If you can spend a little more we can put a quicker video card in or something. Also, that case that Danoss listed is pretty sweet and Umart have it in stock. it would add another $50 to the build.

Salazar

Ok.

If I could drop the SSD, that build might be pretty good.

Fredescu, you are a champ. A quicker video card would be alright.

Is this something a tolerably intelligent person can assemble ?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Kritz,

Say hi so she notices you are wearing the portal 2 shirt, She will say something like, Isn't that game just awesome? You can say it is but you know someone online named evlcookie who thinks it's overrated shit. She will be shocked and say what an asshole, you can agree, from there you will talk about what makes the game oh so awesome.

Then when you are shagging her out the back, You can think of me since i got you there.

It's a win win for everyone.

As for the Danoss build, You don't really need an SSD at 120GB unless you wanted one purely as an OS drive then you could drop that down to a 30 or 60GB for cheaper. I do love me an SSD though.

legend166

Just going on the site cookie posted, getting these things or the equivalent with some price estimates:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core 3.3-3.7GHz Turbo 95W - $220
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-M-V3 P67 DDR3 Intel 1155pin Motherboard - $153
RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz - Something like $100
Video Card: MSI Hawk GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB - $290 maybe? http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/39951-engtx560-ti-dc2-1gd5
Storage: Samsung F3 1TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s - Can get 1TB hard drives for like $60
DVD Drive: ASUS SATA 24X DVD Burner - Around $30
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 620W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular - $150 or so
Case: COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced 2x 140mm 1 x 120mm
- $120

That's around $1100. Throw in $200 for a monitor and you'll be ready to go.

justin.au

jambo said:
Still runs everything fine? At what resolution? Specs?

Also if you took out that SSD and halved the RAM you'd be looking at a more reasonable figure of $1300
Q6600/4GB/1GB 4870/etc.

1920x1080, with high textures and 2xAA-8xAA depending on the game. Although I will have to grant you that I don't play that many new PC games. It ran Crysis on something like max the one time I loaded that up.

Obviously it doesn't do DX11 but from what I've seen (HAWX 2, lol) that's actually a benefit.

Salazar

Awesome.

Looking to buy around the end of June.

Sutton Dagger, I agree about the teacher bonuses being moronic in both nature and insufficiency.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
Man, constantly being interrupted at work means I got beaten badly with that build, haha.
It would have been indentical to mine too if Umart had the regular CM 690 II and a Seasonic M12 620 in stock.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Seriously, what the hell is the relevance of Chel? Nobody's telling me and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here. You may as well be saying Banana Pie.
Chell is the player characters name.

justin.au

Marshmellow said:
OMG ITS HAPPENING.

on a side note, ive had REALLY good experiances with benq monitors for the past 8 years.
The 19" one I owned was awful (very poor colours and serious backlight bleed) but this 22" is great for what it cost (IIRC ~$300 about 3 years ago).

Shaneus

Seriously, what the hell is the relevance of Chel? Nobody's telling me and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here. You may as well be saying Banana Pie.
Tell me you're referring to Zoolander.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Salazar said:
Looking to buy around the end of June.

Bulldozer should be out by then so ask when you are ready. If bulldozer sucks then there's a good chance what ausgaf has recommended today won't change, if bulldozer looks to be awesome then the build could be different.

jambo

justin.au said:
Q6600/4GB/1GB 4870/etc.

Although I will have to grant you that I don't play that many new PC games. It ran Crysis on something like max the one time I loaded that up.

Which nullifies your original comment.

Choc

Banned
BEN GRUBB 12:26pm | Australian university lecturers are resisting putting recorded lectures online because they fear students will mock their off-the-cuff flubs in YouTube mashups and social networking posts.

lol

legend166

Mugatu: SHUT UP! Enough already, Ballstein! Who cares about Derek Zoolander anyway? The man has only one look, for Christ's sake! Blue Steel? Ferrari? Le Tigra? They're the same face! Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! I invented the piano key necktie, I invented it! What have you done, Derek? You've done nothing! NOTHIIIING! And I will be a monkey's uncle if I let you ruin this for me, because if you can't get the job done, then I will!

[flings "M" shaped shuriken at the Prime Minister]

Mugatu: Die, you wage-hiking scum!

Fredescu

The main character had a name?

Mind. Blown.
It's the sort of thing you'd never know if you didn't participate in internet threads about it. They never mention it in game.

jambo

Choc said:
BEN GRUBB 12:26pm | Australian university lecturers are resisting putting recorded lectures online because they fear students will mock their off-the-cuff flubs in YouTube mashups and social networking posts.

lol

wtf that's a stupid excuse. Luckily when I was at Uni (however briefly) the IT dept uploaded every single lecture in video and audio format. And this was back in 07.

Kritz

Banned
Let's be clear, Kritz, when you're saying the woman has a Chel wallpaper, you do mean this Chel?

Or is this some "Cake is a Lie" injoke that I'm not gonna get until I bite the bullet on Portal 2?
Portal 2 spoiler image - which is why I haven't posted it.

markot

Banned
legend166 said:
A Microsoft run SkyNet would be a shambles. It would accidentally enslave the wrong race, or something.
An IBM run one would be perfect, just like their prototype during WW2 was so good at killing Jews!

Cohsae

Choc said:
Oh my god why haven't I thought of that before? If only I had more time and video editing skills and comedic skills and motivation.
What I'm saying is I want someone else to do it.

Edit: More on-topic I think it's a good idea to have recorded lectures. People have legitimate reasons for not being able to attend, whether it's a one off or all of the time.
From my experience in the course I'm in now, the people who actually turn up to lectures and tutorials tend to be doing better than those who say they'll just listen to the recordings, because the people who are turning up have that motivation to keep up with the work. So if some people want to 'abuse the system' so to speak, that's their choice.

Salazar

Choc said:

Also, folks won't show up to lectures. Granted, this might be beneficial in some overcrowded courses, but it is worth resisting to some extent.

Dead Man

jambo said:
wtf that's a stupid excuse. Luckily when I was at Uni (however briefly) the IT dept uploaded every single lecture in video and audio format. And this was back in 07.
Shit, my psych dept uploaded audio and recorded dvd visuals in 2000.

And kids don't show up to lectures anyway.

jambo

legend166 said:
A Microsoft run SkyNet would be a shambles. It would accidentally enslave the wrong race, or something.

It would just blue-screen and reset every time it tried to invade.

legend166 said:
I'm talking spending money, by the way. We've already got our accommodation sorted.
Aim for $200 a day (for food, souvenirs and fun) and you'll have a little leftover. Only make sure you have a couple of hundred for when you land, no need to take out great wads of cash (I usually just take the bank fees to withdraw money as part the cost of travelling), 3-5 days worth of spending money max should be on your person (put some in your wallet and hide the rest elsewhere).

Rahk

So I have about $400 of credit on PCCG and intend to use it on an SSD.

Should I get the Vertex 3, or is there something better out now or to be released in the near future?

justin.au

jambo said:
Which nullifies your original comment.
But the new games I have played have run okay. Fallout: New Vegas; BLOPS demo; SC2 demo; F1 2010; OpFlash 2: Whatever (what an average game); Civ 5. Obviously I should've qualified my comment to avoid the confusion that necessarily followed from not doing so.

Plus, it runs Quake Live at solid 60fps. Same with CS 1.6.

Omikron

justin.au said:
But the new games I have played have run okay. Fallout: New Vegas; BLOPS demo; SC2 demo; F1 2010; OpFlash 2: Whatever (what an average game); Civ 5. Obviously I should've qualified my comment to avoid the confusion that necessarily followed from not doing so.

Plus, it runs Quake Live at solid 60fps. Same with CS 1.6.

While I would have agreed with you a few weeks back... I just upgraded from a 4870x2 -> 6970OC with a similar specced PC to you otherwise, and with the games I highlighted, there is a significant change in performance. Particularly the smoothness of Civ5.

Fredescu

Yeah, a Q6600 and a 4870 should still run things fairly well. I don't think you could have built a machine new with those parts for $900 in 2008 without cutting some corners though. The 4870 alone would have been ~$400. Unless it was a 512MB version, in which case it won't do so well today at 1080+ resolutions.

legend166 said:
We are getting the ANZ Travel Card thing. They are basically pre-loaded Visa Debit cards.
I don't like those things personally, and just use a combination of bank accounts and credit cards. Then again, I never thought traveller's cheques were a good idea either.

Marshmellow said:
I will Google some VB tutes and hopefully come up with something good.
If you record a Macro, it will output VBA code for you. That's a good way to see how some stuff works.

Also, if you want a good PC, an SSD is a must. 60GB ought to be enough for your OS and a couple of frequently-played games installed. A slower large 2TB disk would be OK for other storage.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Monash's IT department uploads everything, bless them.

I go to everything, because I genuinely love the units and want to ask questions after the lecture if need be, but having them all online is just so damn useful.

Jintor

Salazar said:
Also, folks won't show up to lectures. Granted, this might be beneficial in some overcrowded courses, but it is worth resisting to some extent.

I'm very glad my lectures are online, since some parts are a little tricky to comprehend and being able to replay them is seriously beneficial.

Deeku

Went outside to get the mail and yay vks's ff6 is here. Thanks man:)

Also, I didn't realise it was so fucking cold today in syd. Been inside all day with central heating.

Choc

Banned
Legend before you go to Europe tell your banks

if you do not and you start using ATM and Credit Cards whilst there, they will instantly shut them down thinking its fraud and compromised.

Top Bottom