• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Salazar

Choc said:
Legend before you go to Europe tell your banks

if you do not and you start using ATM and Credit Cards whilst there, they will instantly shut them down thinking its fraud and compromised.

Nar, he's using those pre-loaded debit cards. I used 'em when I went a few weeks ago. They're good.

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - pretty good.

Arcania: Gothic 4 - terrible. Painfully so.

Salazar

Fredescu said:
I couldn't even bring myself to finish the demo.

"I can't let you cross this bridge. I've got a problem with molerats on my farm".

FUCK YOU. I SHOULD KILL YOU ALONG WITH THE MOLERATS YOU PRAT.

justin.au

Rez said:
Monash's IT department uploads everything, bless them.

I go to everything, because I genuinely love the units and want to ask questions after the lecture if need be, but having them all online is just so damn useful.
Exactly.

I'm at Melbourne and having completed subjects across a broad range of faculties and the lecture slides and audio/screen capture have always been available. It hasn't stopped me attending lectures but if I'm being introduced to a new concept I'll often just sit back and relax, using the online resources later to make my notes.

justin.au

Fredescu said:
Yeah, a Q6600 and a 4870 should still run things fairly well. I don't think you could have built a machine new with those parts for $900 in 2008 without cutting some corners though. The 4870 alone would have been ~$400. Unless it was a 512MB version, in which case it won't do so well today at 1080+ resolutions.
It probably was more than $900. Just tried figuring it out and I got to $1050 with broad figures. As I said though, after I bought my stuff the prices went back up quite some. I only built a box; already owned monitor/mouse/speakers/etc. and I shopped all over the place and did my time in the MSY line for the best deals.

Perhaps I'm just wrong and things really aren't any more expensive these days.

Dead Man

Salazar said:
lol at the Australian's response to the budget.

"The overall scheme seems to be to milk the rich, lift the poor, and tickle the middle'.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THAT, YOU RIGHT-WING DICKBRAINS ?
Indeed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rahk said:
So I have about $400 of credit on PCCG and intend to use it on an SSD.

Should I get the Vertex 3, or is there something better out now or to be released in the near future?

Which vertex? The vertex 3 120GB is lacking in performance compared to the 240GB.

You could wait until Intels attempt at sata6Gbps SSDs but the vertex does seem to be the best at the moment. I think corsair and someone else should be pumping out another soonish.

At the end of the day, Intel might be quicker in some sections of tests while slower in others, It's usually how SSDs benchmark. Regardless of which one you end up getting, it's going to kick ass and make your jaw drop. An extra 20mb/sec in speed in either read or writes probably isn't going to be noticeable to the average desktop user.

evlcookie said:
At the end of the day, Intel might be quicker in some sections of tests while slower in others, It's usually how SSDs benchmark. Regardless of which one you end up getting, it's going to kick ass and make your jaw drop.
And if you want real speed, buy two (or three, four, five) smaller SSDs and put them in a RAID 0 array. Two SSDs can get upwards of 500mb/s read and write no worries. Four, 1000mb/s, etc.

Fredescu

justin.au said:
Perhaps I'm just wrong and things really aren't any more expensive these days.
Yeah, they aren't really. You could build a competent AMD based system for ~$700 and play any game that comes along. $1200 gets you into the much faster Intels, and allows you to pick reliable components, like spending a decent amount on a PSU etc.

Rahk

evlcookie said:
Which vertex? The vertex 3 120GB is lacking in performance compared to the 240GB.

You could wait until Intels attempt at sata6Gbps SSDs but the vertex does seem to be the best at the moment. I think corsair and someone else should be pumping out another soonish.

At the end of the day, Intel might be quicker in some sections of tests while slower in others, It's usually how SSDs benchmark. Regardless of which one you end up getting, it's going to kick ass and make your jaw drop. An extra 20mb/sec in speed in either read or writes probably isn't going to be noticeable to the average desktop user.
Intel 510? Looks like PCCG will have some on the 20th. Might go with one of those as they are supposedly more durable.

Kritz

Banned
Jintor said:
Give me a sitrep you jerk

I tried using my iphone's camera to get a better look at her ipad but that was a little creepy even for me. And then the lecture ended and she went in a direction my friends weren't going so I couldn't follow her.

jambo said:
That must've taken a while to rip
Lucky for my 3 DVD drives!
;)

Doncamatic said:
Done. This better be as good as I've been lead to believe.
It's pretty good but don't go in with high expectations, it has a certain charm to it but for some reason I was never 100% happy with how it played. A Solid 7 stars though.

Salazar said:
Question/request for PC Aus-GAF.
a) How much am I looking at to build a better-than-good gaming PC - from scratch and with an absolute minimum of technical fiddling on my part ?
b) Can someone recommend a site from which I could buy and have shipped everything I need ?
First thing I can recommend (probably moot at this point since I am posting so late) is signup to PC Case Gear and make a wishlist. Have a look, or even request, in the PC thread to get some up to date insight and see how prices are in Australia. The best thing is most PC parts stores will price match what ever you can find so send all the local ones an email (or physically go in and ask) once you have a build to find out the lowest prices. Then go to the most reputable one and ask them to price match.
This is the PC I am looking at once I find some cash, giving my trusty q6600, 9800gtx+ machine to my parents to cut down on tech support calls;
i5 2500k - $225
Asus p8p67 PRO Motherboard - $225
gtx460 - $189
Gskills 8gig RAM - $125
Corsair TX-750v2 - $149
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced - $125
Samsung F4 2Tb HDD - $99
I am also grabbing a sound card, new monitor and SSD but they are dependant on your individual taste/needs. With that setup I will be able to pick up a 460 in a few months when they get around $100 and put it in SLI to extend the life of the setup even more. The i5 2500k is incredibly easy to overclock to over 4Ghz without needing any extra cooling as well. All those prices I have seen beaten by local stores in Geelong so don't be surprised if you can knock off $200 from your build as prices fluctuate a lot. Main thing is hold off on upgrading until you are sure you won't regret it, also lurk in the PC thread. Also you can get cheap KB+M combos from Logitech Shop every now and then, picked up my MK700 from their for $70.

Kritz said:
Reedit girl browsing r/gaming, minimized her browser, and had a chell wallpaper. :( halp
Have 3 beers at the uni bar to get the courage flowing. Wear your portal t-shirt
Not the spoilerific one! People in the street will smack you in the face for that kind of thing!
and if she makes eye contact just say hey and she will either strike up a conversation based on the t-shirt or shyly reply and make it look like she doesn't know the reference. Also call her fat. Apparently women like that.
The League reference

Bernbaum

Tried making a facebook. The following lastnames aren't allowed- Facebook; Internet; twitter; Computer.

How do you turn the ads off?

Bernbaum said:
Tried making a facebook. The following lastnames aren't allowed- Facebook; Internet; twitter; Computer.

Are you trying to sign up for Facebook or Myspace? What colour is everything?

New email today,
Hello First Access Member!

Thank you again for pre-order Duke Nukem Forever and/or purchasing Borderlands Game of the Year Edition to become a First Access Member! Please help us obtain the most accurate up to date information for your First Access profile.

Please follow the link below and re-confirm your preferred platform of choice for the Duke Nukem Forever demo. You will need to confirm your information by Sunday May 15, 2011.

Danoss

Bernbaum said:
Option 1. Don't use facebook.
Option 2. If you really must use facebook, install an AdBlock extension into your browser (install it anyway, it's awesome).

Danoss said:
Option 1. Don't use facebook.
Option 2. If you really must use facebook, install an AdBlock extension into your browser (install it anyway, it's awesome).
Option 3. Use Facebook via TweetDeck or the iGoogle Gadget or similar. No ads.

Salazar

Fredescu said:
This is sans monitor from Umart:

fw8Y5.png

Monitor wise I would recommend one of these: http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/...cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=230-11540&redirect=1

Ok. Screw waiting. This weekend it is.

Could you capture and post a list with a slightly quicker video card, Fred ?

And is there anything else I'll need ?

Fredescu

Salazar said:
Could you capture and post a list with a slightly quicker video card, Fred ?
Here tis:
QycOI.png

That video card is on order with an ETA of friday, but its supposed to have one of the better third party fans around. If for some reason it's not in stock when you go to get it and you're jonesing for it, any GTX570 or ATI 6970 will do.

Change the keyboard and mouse if you see something you'd like more. The MX518 is probably the most popular gaming mouse around, although I personally prefer the Microsoft Sidewinder. I just picked the X4 keyboard because it was the cheapest "gaming" one with macro keys and such, but you could save a bit of money and just get a regular one, or go all out and get one with an LCD or whatever. I have a $10 keyboard and it does the job. I definitely couldn't live with a $10 mouse. I find myself using on the fly DPI switching a lot.

The case I've chosen is a very well made one, but it might be a bit bland looks wise. If you care about having a slick looking case, the Corsair 600T, the Silverstone Fortress FT02, and the aforementioned Fractal R3, are quite good looking. You pay a bit more for the privilege though obviously, and the R3 is a bit small so might be a tricky build. The Fortress FT02 has the motherboard pointing up, so you plug your cables into the top. It's personally my dream case, even though I can't really justify getting one.

One of the more popular cases, the Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced, isn't in stock at Umart, so I haven't listed it. They have the "nVidia edition" with some green bling on it. I assume you don't like green bling. If you do, then by all means...

Danoss

Building a PC really is just plugging things in and screwing them down.

Also, take the time to do proper cable management. A lot of modern cases allow you to run cables behind the motherboard. You will thank yourself later for doing this.

Fredescu said:
the R3 is a bit small so might be a tricky build
Yeah, it'd be worth the extra for the R3 XL because of this, or one of Fred's recommendations of course. Building a PC in a cramped case is an exercise in extreme frustration.

Fredescu said:
That video card is on order with an ETA of friday, but its supposed to have one of the better third party fans around. If for some reason it's not in stock when you go to get it and you're jonesing for it, any GTX570 or ATI 6970 will do.
Yeah the Twin Frozr are super quiet and run nice and cool. That card should last you 5 years along with the quad core, more and more games are finally making use of the extra cores.

Megadrive said:
The only part of droid I'm annoyed at so far is the fact every free app (nearly) seems to have ads that slow the games and apps they're in so much it makes me want to uninstall. And I have. Even simple games like a Fruit Ninja clone called fruit slicer or something was ridiculously laggy. Though as soon as I can I'm buying Fruit Ninja obviously.
Installed that Fruit Slicer game on my gfs android the other day when I was bored at her friends place for dinner. Tonight she told me she loves it and is addicted to it, ponyed up the cash for Fruit Ninja and she is in heaven. Another point on my side of the scoreboard, one more step towards the PC upgrade.

Danoss said:
Oh, for those who are interested and don't know: The Witcher 2 is available to buy and pre-download from GOG.
I heartily endorse this event or product
Also it shouldn't be so hard to find Simpsons images on the internet. Screw Google Library, Somebody get cracking on hosting every frame of the first 12 season
Remember to change your country to USA. You know, since we all live there and stuff. Probably should get the mods to look into fixing the thread title.

Sutton Dagger said:
Windows 7 Upgrade? So you already have to have Windows Xp/Vista.

What is the cheapest way to get Win 7 for a Mac user hoping to use it via bootcamp? I'm a student.
Find someone with an old WinXP key. Since I lost my old copy of XP I just used my housemate-at-the-times code from the shitty laptop he bought for $50. This too.

Deeku

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Good stuff! I got the Paladin shield and a few rare relics on that save file, if you wanted to skip to the post-game content.
Oh awesome.

I love looking through people's saves when I buy pre-owned games. It's like I'm going through their dirty underwear or something.

reptilescorpio said:
Find someone with an old WinXP key. Since I lost my old copy of XP I just used my housemate-at-the-times code from the shitty laptop he bought for $50. This too.

Awesome, will do. I just checked my edu email and it's accepted, seems like that is the best method. Same for Office software as well.

Danoss

If you're not a student, you can just buy the OEM version of Windows 7 x64 at the time of purchase with your PC. It's only like $100.

Salazar

Danoss said:
If you're not a student, you can just buy the OEM version of Windows 7 x64 at the time of purchase with your PC. It's only like $100.

This is something I should probably try.

Edit: Fuck, I forgot I'm a student.

Top Bottom