• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Salazar

Can't pick up in Sims Medieval.

I'm wooing like there's no tomorrow. I expected the nuns to turn me down, but I have just been luckless in general.

The only part of droid I'm annoyed at so far is the fact every free app (nearly) seems to have ads that slow the games and apps they're in so much it makes me want to uninstall. And I have. Even simple games like a Fruit Ninja clone called fruit slicer or something was ridiculously laggy. Though as soon as I can I'm buying Fruit Ninja obviously.

Also Swype rocks.

Edit: going through the 'apps' optus give you (theyre just web links) proved to show just how behind the times optus are:
noflash.jpg

So I just bought the Witcher 2 for about 41 dollarydoos.

PS I hear it is cold over there in Australia. Here in Canada, the weather is beautiful. Bears and mountains and police on horses and shit. It's great.

Stackboy

Mortal Kombat came in the mail last night! Shaneus, I hope you get yours soon.

It sure is Mortal Kombat, which is great.

I'll attend the EB games Expo. Brisgaf assemble?

BanShunsaku said:
So I just bought the Witcher 2 for about 41 dollarydoos.

PS I hear it is cold over there in Australia. Here in Canada, the weather is beautiful. Bears and mountains and police on horses and shit. It's great.
Canada is my favourite place in the world. So damn beautiful and some of the friendliest people I've encountered.

Stackboy said:

Yea id be keen for this Stack. Count me in.

Shaneus

Stackboy said:

Sweet! Gotta say, some of the excitement has disappeared but I'm sure that will rise again once I bust out my Saturn USB pad.

But the question remains: Which Saturn pad... the grey one or the colour one?

legend166

So, this is what I'm doing for Europe:

On May 27th I will fly out of Australia and land in Paris, to spend a month travelling around Europe. It will be the first time I've ever been out of Australia. I'm going with my sister, and we're only going for a month because that's all the leave we can get from work.

We're staying in nice hotels because with the exchange rate as it is, it's pretty cheap. That's probably considered very boring, but whatever. Think of me as a Karl Pilkington-on-An-Idiot-Abroad-lite with regards to travelling. This is more of a 'I want to see stuff' trip than a 'I'm going to go to Europe and experience it like a real European!' trip.

So, this is our itinerary. It's a bit weird because we had to time it so we'd be in London for our cousins wedding (going to be the worst part of the trip), so we end up snaking around a bit instead of going in a linear direction.

May 27th - Fly out of Sydney and arrive in Paris at 6:50am on the Saturday morning. We're saying here for four nights. Beyond the usual Louvre/Eiffel Tower/Arch de Triomphe I'm not sure what we're gonna do. I'm sure my sister will go shopping so I'll probably have time to do something by myself. I'd love to go to Mont St. Michele but it's three hours away so I probably won't have time. This is our hotel: http://www.carondebeaumarchais.com

June 1st - We're getting the Eurostar from Paris to London. We're staying with our cousin who is getting married on June 4th (this isn't why we're going to Europe, it just happened to coincide so we changed our plans a little). This is going to suck. I think we have to stay with her and she's annoying. On top of that she'll make my sister help her with wedding stuff so I'll probably be on my own.

June 5th - On the Sunday night we're flying out to Prague. We'll be there for 3 nights, and the hotel we're staying in looks awesome: http://www.goldenwell.cz/ Really looking forward to this. Everyone says Prague is amazing.

June 8th - We're taking a train from Prague to Munich where we'll spend a couple days. Main thing I want to do here is go look at the castles (Nueschwanstein I think).

June 10 - Going to Salzburg and staying in an awesome looking hotel:

74612_1g.jpg

Main thing I want to do in Salzburg is drive out to Hitler's Eagles Nest. Anyone who has seen Band of Brothers will know what I'm talking about.

June 13th - Just a day in Vienna, to fly back to the South of France

June 14th - 19th - We're spending 5 days in a town called Saint Remy-de-Provence, a little place around 15 minutes from Avignon. We've got a car booked and will be driving all over Provence. Should be awesome.

June 19th - 23rd - We get a train to Florence. I just played a ton of Assassin's Creed 2, so going to Florence will be cool. I also want to buy a leather jacket.

June 24th - We spend one day in Rome, and then fly back home to Sydney.

Basically two weeks before I leave, so excited. I probably won't be posting at all during that time. Someone write up an E3 summary or something so I can look at it when I get back.

legend166 said:
So, this is what I'm doing for Europe

Sounds good man, just remember the Louvre is closed on Tuesdays i think it was.
Also not to tarnish it but id be interested in what u think of the Eiffel Tower. My experience was horribly tarnished by the flood of tourism sh*t.

Gaffer to Gaffer, you have been warned.

legend166 said:
May 27th - Fly out of Sydney and arrive in Paris at 6:50am on the Saturday morning. We're saying here for four nights. Beyond the usual Louvre/Eiffel Tower/Arch de Triomphe I'm not sure what we're gonna do.
Definitely walk the Montmartre area and see the Sacre Couer. It's a bit touristy but still nice. Also make sure you climb the Arc. It's expensive (we cheaped out the first time we visited Paris but went up the second) and the view is awesome. Bad thing about going up the Eiffel Tower is that you don't get to see the Eiffel Tower up high. Only do it if you want to say you've been up the tower. If you can, visit the Notre Dame during a service. I'm not religious and never attend services, but the chanting and swinging of censers etc is pretty awesome.

legend166 said:
Everyone says Prague is amazing.
Prague is indeed awesome. Make sure you climb it's fake Eiffel Tower for the lols.

legend166 said:
Main thing I want to do here is go look at the castles (Nueschwanstein I think).
It's easy to take the train from Munich to Fussen and then a bus from there to Hohenschwangau which is where Schloss Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein are located. The view of Neuschwanstein is best from a bridge (when walking up, take the right on the fork) or from a fair hike. Only do the hike if you have a lot of time.

legend166 said:
We spend one day in Rome, and then fly back home to Sydney.
Man, one day in Rome is not enough. But you'll be able to do the Colosseum (don't bother with the people who will queue jump you for a fee -- even with the line going outside the place you'll still beat them) and the Forum in that one day, and they're really the big ticket items anyway.

Marshmellow said:
Also not to tarnish it but id be interested in what u think of the Eiffel Tower. My experience was horribly tarnished by the flood of tourism sh*t.
The day we went up the tower we waited three hours and were constantly bombarded with touts and harrassed by gypsies. I think the gypsies have been kicked out of the city now. My wife did get a caricature done by a guy who wanted to charge 45 Euro. We talked him down to ten which, while probably still expensive, was a fair price to us. Oh yes, and the top of the tower was closed due to high winds when we got there but by the time we got to the front of the line it had opened. Took probably another 1-1.5 hours to get all the way to the top.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
So, this is what I'm doing for Europe:

On May 27th I will fly out of Australia and land in Paris, to spend a month travelling around Europe. It will be the first time I've ever been out of Australia. I'm going with my sister, and we're only going for a month because that's all the leave we can get from work.

We're staying in nice hotels because with the exchange rate as it is, it's pretty cheap. That's probably considered very boring, but whatever. Think of me as a Karl Pilkington-on-An-Idiot-Abroad-lite with regards to travelling. This is more of a 'I want to see stuff' trip than a 'I'm going to go to Europe and experience it like a real European!' trip.

So, this is our itinerary. It's a bit weird because we had to time it so we'd be in London for our cousins wedding (going to be the worst part of the trip), so we end up snaking around a bit instead of going in a linear direction.

May 27th - Fly out of Sydney and arrive in Paris at 6:50am on the Saturday morning. We're saying here for four nights. Beyond the usual Louvre/Eiffel Tower/Arch de Triomphe I'm not sure what we're gonna do. I'm sure my sister will go shopping so I'll probably have time to do something by myself. I'd love to go to Mont St. Michele but it's three hours away so I probably won't have time. This is our hotel: http://www.carondebeaumarchais.com

June 1st - We're getting the Eurostar from Paris to London. We're staying with our cousin who is getting married on June 4th (this isn't why we're going to Europe, it just happened to coincide so we changed our plans a little). This is going to suck. I think we have to stay with her and she's annoying. On top of that she'll make my sister help her with wedding stuff so I'll probably be on my own.

June 5th - On the Sunday night we're flying out to Prague. We'll be there for 3 nights, and the hotel we're staying in looks awesome: http://www.goldenwell.cz/ Really looking forward to this. Everyone says Prague is amazing.

June 8th - We're taking a train from Prague to Munich where we'll spend a couple days. Main thing I want to do here is go look at the castles (Nueschwanstein I think).

June 10 - Going to Salzburg and staying in an awesome looking hotel:

74612_1g.jpg

Main thing I want to do in Salzburg is drive out to Hitler's Eagles Nest. Anyone who has seen Band of Brothers will know what I'm talking about.

June 13th - Just a day in Vienna, to fly back to the South of France

June 14th - 19th - We're spending 5 days in a town called Saint Remy-de-Provence, a little place around 15 minutes from Avignon. We've got a car booked and will be driving all over Provence. Should be awesome.

June 19th - 23rd - We get a train to Florence. I just played a ton of Assassin's Creed 2, so going to Florence will be cool. I also want to buy a leather jacket.

June 24th - We spend one day in Rome, and then fly back home to Sydney.

Basically two weeks before I leave, so excited. I probably won't be posting at all during that time. Someone write up an E3 summary or something so I can look at it when I get back.

Legend

Paris - There is quite a bit to do. I am not recommending it but the louvre is big enough to fill 4 days let alone the rest of Paris...!

Remember what i said, avoid the queue near the triangle at the louvre. There is a side entrance only the locals tend to know about.

London - Having time by yourself in London is awesome. There is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much to do there. and its incredibly easy to get around. make sure you get an oyster. The eurostar is quite cool as well :) Get there well before departure, you need to go through customs (just like an airplane. This seems very foreign to non-Europeans, it felt weird :) )

As cool as it is, go over to Greenwich for the village and shopping, not for the fact you can stand on the prime meridian ;)

When you fly to prague which airport you going to? Heathrow, Gatwick or Stanstead?

if its the former 2, they are as bad as each other in terms of how busy they get. Make sure you leave PLENTY of time to make your flights.

Saint Remy-de-Provence This sounds familiar from war time stories. the resistance home base?

Shaneus

I've just had a look at how many hours leave I've accumulated and I'm sitting on around 185... that equates to around 25 days leave. I reckon a big holiday should be on the cards! Or 5 weeks of backlog clearing.

Omikron

Shaneus said:
I've just had a look at how many hours leave I've accumulated and I'm sitting on around 185... that equates to around 25 days leave. I reckon a big holiday should be on the cards! Or 5 weeks of backlog clearing.

Ahhh, if only we hard working people got a chance to take leave.

I believe I have 200+ annual and ~300 personal leave hours racked up.

codswallop said:
It's easy to take the train from Munich to Fussen and then a bus from there to Hohenschwangau which is where Schloss Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein are located. The view of Neuschwanstein is best from a bridge (when walking up, take the right on the fork) or from a fair hike. Only do the hike if you have a lot of time.
Yep, this is the bridge you want to be on:
miCw7.jpg

And this is the view you'll get:
EqXTg.jpg

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So like if E3 was a month later, I'd have enough money + spending money to go.

I'll pay off my credit card, the week of E3.

BAH.

In other news, Nintendo's likely to have another Nintendo World this year... Japan Trip!

Stackboy

Stream it like the rest of us suckers Vook.

I'll be getting up at crazy hours to watch live streams. Got 2 weeks holidays around E3.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Stackboy said:
Stream it like the rest of us suckers Vook.

I'll be getting up at crazy hours to watch live streams. Got 2 weeks holidays around E3.

I went for the last Nintendo (home) console reveal, would have liked to go again. It's actually easier to 'cover' it from home. But you don't get the hands on that people want. I take the week off for E3 ;)

Big sites wish they had a crazy mofo as dedicated as me to cover Nintendo stuff.

Omikron

http://www.budget.gov.au/2011-12/content/bp2/html/bp2_expense-04.htm

The Government will not proceed with the Voluntary Internet Filtering Grants
Program. This will provide savings of $9.6 million over three years.

The Government provided $9.8 million in the 2010‑11 Budget to establish the Voluntary Internet Filtering Grants Program to assist internet service providers (ISPs) to offer customers internet filtering options on a commercial basis. However, consultation with industry has identified limited interest in the grants due to the increasing range of filtering technologies readily available to online users, including browser and search engine filters, and the decision of the three largest ISPs, which account for over 70 per cent of Australian internet users, to voluntarily filter child abuse sites using a list compiled and maintained by the Australian Communications and Media Authority.

Savings from this measure will be redirected to support other Government priorities.

Wonder what that means for the Mandatory Blacklist Filter.

So i'm trying to go that little bit further at work. Both to make my life easier and to create something that is mine.

1. Can anyone link me to somewhere that is good for Excel formulas and/or AutoCAD customization.

2. I'm looking for more of a data source rather than a forum to post my queries on. Somewhere i can learn from by myself rather than having to wait on others.

3. Is there a GAF thread for excel or similar technical things?

Thanks guys. Much love

Omikron

Marshmellow said:
So i'm trying to go that little bit further at work. Both to make my life easier and to create something that is mine.

1. Can anyone link me to somewhere that is good for Excel formulas and/or AutoCAD customization.

2. I'm looking for more of a data source rather than a forum to post my queries on. Somewhere i can learn from by myself rather than having to wait on others.

3. Is there a GAF thread for excel or similar technical things?

Thanks guys. Much love

With Excel, learn to use VBA.

Excel becomes your peon then.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
What do you mean?

I'm talking spending money, by the way. We've already got our accommodation sorted.

they will ask you how much money you have. If that money does not equate to being able to support yourself in the UK for the period you have said you are staying, then more questions and further interrogation continues

they will think you are there to work.

also don't forget to photocopy your passport 3 times and store it in 3 different places on your trip

its MUCH easier to get a replacement if you lose/have it stolen with a photocopy.

Choc

Banned
Danoss said:
What if you're visiting someone in the UK who owes you money?

if you think AU customs officers are a tough bunch, wait till you meet teh UK lot

the UK border is one of the hardest to cross in the world

80% of my last flight were significantly interrogated by them (this is why the queue is massive and long)

all flights arriving from outside the EU get massive scrutiny

Danoss

DNF pre-purchase available on Steam, only $200,000 courtesy of 2K Games.

Not that I would buy it, the 80's over the top jokes and themes are well outside their expiry date.

Choc

Banned
Danoss said:
DNF pre-purchase available on Steam, only $200,000 courtesy of 2K Games.

Not that I would buy it, the 80's over the top jokes and themes are well outside their expiry date.

what?

Danoss

It's a joke man, I saw the $80 price tag and decided that I would blow that figure out for sake of humour. It seems I missed the mark, like every single joke will in DNF.

Omikron

Marshmellow said:
Hows best to go about doing that. Keep in mind i'm trying to be self taught

There are probably a ton of tutorial type things on the net. Whats your current level of knowledge on programming? If its really beginner, perhaps start by checking out MSDN / Excel help about the functions it provides as a start. Then get onto recording basic macros and seeing how that translates to code.

This is probably a good place to start. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa905411.aspx

Omi said:
There are probably a ton of tutorial type things on the net. Whats your current level of knowledge on programming? If its really beginner, perhaps start by checking out MSDN / Excel help about the functions it provides as a start. Then get onto recording basic macros and seeing how that translates to code.

Thanks Omi. Yea i'm really basic, haven't done anything since school IT like 5 years ago.
Just spent 30 minutes figuring out an IF statement in excel. got it to work tho so thats good.

I will Google some VB tutes and hopefully come up with something good.

....Just realized if you type google without a capital G at the front spell checker tells u its wrong.....lol @ that

legend166 said:
What do you mean?

I'm talking spending money, by the way. We've already got our accommodation sorted.

Awesome, I'm going to Europe at the end of the year so interested in finding out about your experience.

How have you handled money? Are you going to use a credit/debit card or something? Did you get your money converted already considering the awesome AUD value against the Euro?

Would you mind divulging how much your flights were? How much money you thinking of taking for food/spending money?

Cheers.

Kirby102

Marshmellow said:
Thanks Omi. Yea i'm really basic, haven't done anything since school IT like 5 years ago.
Just spent 30 minutes figuring out an IF statement in excel. got it to work tho so thats good.

I will Google some VB tutes and hopefully come up with something good.

....Just realized if you type google without a capital G at the front spell checker tells u its wrong.....lol @ that
Heh, I'm doing some Excel stuff at uni atm. It's really basic, but I've learnt how to use VBA and what not. It's pretty much OOP again so yeah...

legend166

I sorta taught VBA myself. Well, I learnt VB back in high school, but 5 years later I'd forgotten it. I know how to do more in VBA than I do in actual Excel. Just get some books and away you go. It's honestly not that difficult.

Top Bottom