• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

legend166

Sutton Dagger said:
Awesome, I'm going to Europe at the end of the year so interested in finding out about your experience.

How have you handled money? Are you going to use a credit/debit card or something? Did you get your money converted already considering the awesome AUD value against the Euro?

Would you mind divulging how much your flights were? How much money you thinking of taking for food/spending money?

Cheers.

We are getting the ANZ Travel Card thing. They are basically pre-loaded Visa Debit cards.

Our flights (into Paris and out of Rome) were $1850 on Malaysian. We could have got them for $1700, but we chose to pay a bit extra just in case we had to cancel for some reason or another. We converted our accommodation money about a month ago, got a rate at 70c against the Euro.

I'm thinking 100 Euro a day would be sufficient for spending money.

Danoss

Shaneus said:
For reasons unknown, listening to this at work:
130785.jpg

Might bust out Icehouse later on.
Since the picture isn't appearing, I'm going to be silly and say "Sound of Silence"?

I had a craving to listen to some BCO recently, so I bought the album off Amazon. Little did I know, the US got a different version of many of the songs I grew up listening to, not impressed. Ebay to the rescue for the original Australian release! I also grabbed "The Essential" for some other songs off albums no longer available along with their recent acoustic CD. The Best Thing and Dancing in the Storm are still among my favourite songs.

As you may have guessed, I loved these guys when I was growing up.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
We are getting the ANZ Travel Card thing. They are basically pre-loaded Visa Debit cards.

Our flights (into Paris and out of Rome) were $1850 on Malaysian. We could have got them for $1700, but we chose to pay a bit extra just in case we had to cancel for some reason or another. We converted our accommodation money about a month ago, got a rate at 70c against the Euro.

should be yeah :) just if you get queried on how much cash you have make sure you tell customs that you have pre-paid accomodation so they dont think you are completely living on that

legend166 said:

Wow, very good price on the flights.

So you converted your money to Euro already and it's on that card. Say I have $5000 Aussie dollars now, I can convert that to Euro (at the current price) and put that on the ANZ card as Euro? That way you don't have to convert later down the line if the Euro gains strength right? Because they would charge a conversion fee as well I'm assuming?

legend166

Sutton Dagger said:
Wow, very good price on the flights.

So you converted your money to Euro already and it's on that card. Say I have $5000 Aussie dollars now, I can convert that to Euro (at the current price) and put that on the ANZ card as Euro? That way you don't have to convert later down the line if the Euro gains strength right? Because they would charge a conversion fee as well I'm assuming?

Yep, it goes on as Euro. No conversion fee or anything. There is an $11 issue fee (you get two cards), and then a 1.1% fee if you want to put any more money on it (based on AUD).

Choc - we're staying with our cousin in London, no accommodation. But if I go in with say, 300 pounds for 4 days, that should be enough, yeah?

legend166 said:
Yep, it goes on as Euro. No conversion fee or anything. There is an $11 issue fee (you get two cards), and then a 1.1% fee if you want to put any more money on it (based on AUD).

Choc - we're staying with our cousin in London, no accommodation. But if I go in with say, 300 pounds for 4 days, that should be enough, yeah?

Ahh ok, that sounds like a fantastic option, especially with 2 cards. Cheers mate, will look into it.

MrSerrels

legend166 said:

London is such a stupidly expensive city, but I would say that was enough.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:

yes. the fact you have a non hotel UK address should appease them as well. It helped us a lot, we didnt get interrogated when we went on leisure to my wifes grandmas.

And yes do not watch aircrash investigations before flying, ive done that and its freaking crazy how freaked you get from all the noises on a plane

Salazar

Question/request for PC Aus-GAF.

a) How much am I looking at to build a better-than-good gaming PC - from scratch and with an absolute minimum of technical fiddling on my part ?

b) Can someone recommend a site from which I could buy and have shipped everything I need ?

Yes, this is me giving in, completely.

Shaneus

Danoss said:
Since the picture isn't appearing, I'm going to be silly and say "Sound of Silence"?

I had a craving to listen to some BCO recently, so I bought the album off Amazon. Little did I know, the US got a different version of many of the songs I grew up listening to, not impressed. Ebay to the rescue for the original Australian release! I also grabbed "The Essential" for some other songs off albums no longer available along with their recent acoustic CD. The Best Thing and Dancing in the Storm are still among my favourite songs.

As you may have guessed, I loved these guys when I was growing up.
Ah crap, it isn't? It's Boom Crash Opera.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have survived a whopper of the gods from hungry jacks. I guess it was similar to a double whopper with cheese, maybe with like 1 or 2 small things extra.

Eating new random fast food items is enjoyable, I look forward to dying to it one day.

Salazar said:
Cheers.

$1200-300 sounds ok.

I wish they had recommended builds for noobs.

Fun timing, This is currently on reddit. http://www.hardware-revolution.com/

And there's the OT in gaming for build your new PC.

PCG did have their own custom builds but i can't seem to find the link for it at the moment, Maybe i'm going blind. I will blame it on the HJ

Choc

Banned
Kritz said:
Reedit girl browsing r/gaming, minimized her browser, and had a chell wallpaper.

:( halp

<sir david attenboroguh>the hunter stalks its prey silently, before giving chase, and ultimately, winning the day'</sir david attenborough>

Gazunta

For the non pussies in this crowd, this is what's known as a CONVERSATION STARTER

conversation will probably end with her telling you it's her boyfriend's laptop

Kritz

Banned
Gazunta said:
For the non pussies in this crowd, this is what's known as a CONVERSATION STARTER

conversation will probably end with her telling you it's her boyfriend's laptop
O HAHA NO I JUST WANTED TO SAY

UM

WOT DO YOU THINK OF MY PORTAL TSHIRT LOL?!

CP201main2.png

LOL?!?

Edit: I am actually wearing this :<

Salazar said:
Question/request for PC Aus-GAF.

a) How much am I looking at to build a better-than-good gaming PC - from scratch and with an absolute minimum of technical fiddling on my part ?

b) Can someone recommend a site from which I could buy and have shipped everything I need ?

Yes, this is me giving in, completely.

Definately reccomend www.umart.com.au

evlcookie said:
I have survived a whopper of the gods from hungry jacks. I guess it was similar to a double whopper with cheese, maybe with like 1 or 2 small things extra.

Eating new random fast food items is enjoyable, I look forward to dying to it one day.

It would make a good epitaph.

Salazar

Fredescu said:
Do you need monitor, keyboard, and mouse?

Yes.

Are any of these broadly ok - with some alternative parts swapped in if need be ?

http://www.techbuy.com.au/custom-pc.asp

Or is it possible to do something ok from this selection ?

http://www.gr-tek.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=Corei5ExtremeGaming

I'm open to just getting the parts from a list someone educated has made, but these templates are seductive for a noob.

If anybody is extremely happy with their PC (or knows what additions could make it awesome) and could provide a shopping list to replicate it, that would be so very badass.

Fredescu

Both options look quite overpriced. Can I take it you're in Sydney based on those choices? I could put a list togther from IT Estate if you want.

Salazar

Fredescu said:
Both options look quite overpriced. Can I take it you're in Sydney based on those choices? I could put a list togther from IT Estate if you want.

I'm in Queensland. I'm ok with getting hit for shipping if it's a good store.

jambo

legend166 said:
So, this is what I'm doing for Europe:

Looks good man, I went to Europe back in 04 for a month or so. My sister was living in London, so we went there first, then down to France, Switzerland and Italy. So good, would love to go back some time.

Deeku

Kritz said:
O HAHA NO I JUST WANTED TO SAY

UM

WOT DO YOU THINK OF MY PORTAL TSHIRT LOL?!

http://store.valvesoftware.com/product_images/main_images/CP201main2.png[img]

LOL?!?

Edit: I am actually wearing this :<[/QUOTE]
Man, if you can't get a girl with that shirt, I don't know what could.

Salazar

Marshmellow said:
Umart is definitely your best option then man. Id be surprised if anywhere will beat it on prices.

True enough. If someone could build me a list available from there, I would explode with gratitude.

Clipper

VOOK said:
So like if E3 was a month later, I'd have enough money + spending money to go.

I'll pay off my credit card, the week of E3.

BAH.

In other news, Nintendo's likely to have another Nintendo World this year... Japan Trip!
Why don't you ask for donations from your site patrons? You should be able to gather enough to send you off to E3. I guess you'd need to declare it on your tax return and stuff, though.

Salazar said:
True enough. If someone could build me a list available from there, I would explode with gratitude.

Just tried. works fine. there should be expansion "+" symbols for CPU's and vid cards.

maybe try different browser

Gazunta

Kritz, I dunno, crazy idea, why not talk to her about Portal 2.

You talk about video games to complete strangers HERE EVERY DAY. WHY IS THIS SO HARD.

Salazar

lol at the Australian's response to the budget.

"The overall scheme seems to be to milk the rich, lift the poor, and tickle the middle'.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THAT, YOU RIGHT-WING DICKBRAINS ?

MrSerrels

Gazunta said:
Kritz, I dunno, crazy idea, why not talk to her about Portal 2.

You talk about video games to complete strangers HERE EVERY DAY. WHY IS THIS SO HARD.

He's too far gone. It's been too long. It's impossible to get in a conversation now without this being awkward and wrong!

The penis on shoulder solution is the only way. THE ONLY WAY

Omikron

Salazar said:
lol at the Australian's response to the budget.

"The overall scheme seems to be to milk the rich, lift the poor, and tickle the middle'.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THAT, YOU RIGHT-WING DICKBRAINS ?

The biggest lol is saved for people that think they should have included 'carbon tax estimates' in the budget.

Danoss

This would be close to my pick, just whipping it up quickly. I would prefer the Fractal Design Define R3 XL but it is no longer on the PCCG site and the SSD would be a Vertex 3. Other than that, I would be happy with this build for gaming and other general purpose.

This is of course ignoring custom coolers and calculating power requirements.

ikTBpC.png

I have no doubt Fredescu will come up with something awesome. He is more knowledgeable than I am.

justin.au

Wow, good computers are so expensive these days. My computer (built in 2008) cost ~$900 and still runs everything (except the new IL2 [grumble, grumble]) fine. I think I got in right before a price rise though.

jambo

Still runs everything fine? At what resolution? Specs?

Also if you took out that SSD and halved the RAM you'd be looking at a more reasonable figure of $1300

Aon

You could make that computer get way cheaper by taking out the SSD if that aint a dealbreaker. Could easily save another 100 on the case if you're not looking for anything fancier than steel walls.

If we're looking to cut prices :D

Top Bottom