• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

I've been making an effort to keep away from any media about LA Noire, in an effort to go in fresh with no expectations.

Going to be hard to watch Ken Cosgrove as a cop though.

Jintor

reptilescorpio said:
The whole swap file thing used to be more of an issue before SSD's were improved, the current batch of SSD's will last a hell of a lot longer than 5 years, more like 50 years.

Spoilers man! I thought the first level was meant to be the intial break-in that leads to Adam getting all cyborged up.

Preview code, so who knows?

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
Preview code, so who knows?

just to back Jintor up

Preview code regularly skips the introduction sequence as to not spoil it before release

tends to be from 20-30% in the story

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc just buy Steel Diver, if you don't like it just take it back jeez.

Bernbaum said:
I like Dragon Age: Origins.

There's a bunch of shit filling out my inventory - mostly junk for crafting poisons and traps. My guy (B'ern Baum the raddest elf mage ever) is a herbalist, but I haven't specced out any other character for crafting (maining w/ Wynne, Leliana and Alistair). I've got a bunch of bombs and poisons and coatings and shit but I never use them in combat. From what I'm told, I'm about ~40% through the game.

Am I doing it wrong, or can I just ignore focussing on crafting and clear out the fridge of all the non-herbalism crafting knick knacks?

I picked up a level of poison making for Alistair mainly so I could burn through my poisons I had picked up. Didn't really help much but having that poison that caused a chance to stun was cool in boss fights, especially against mages.

Clipper

L.A. Noire is going to be my first real Rockstar game. I've never played a GTA, Bully, Red Dead or anything else in that vein as the settings and gameplay styles have never perked my interest. Apparently they did Earthworm Jim 3D in their early days which I have played, but it obviously doesn't count.

The thing that got L.A. Noire onto my radar was an IGN discussion with the developers a few months ago. It was then that I realised that this was going to be a huge attempt to evolve the P&C adventure game genre (still my favourite game style) and I was instantly hooked. Further discussions about the facial animation system made me really interested to see what the game was all about. I then saw one trailer showing off some of the facial stuff and was amazed, confirming that this would be a day 1 purchase for me.

Since then, I've been on media blackout as I really want to experience as much of the world as I can for myself. I'm really looking forward to it. It's also going to serve as my litmus test for Rockstar games, so perhaps I'll pick up Redemption if I do end up enjoying the action sections of Noire.

Aon

Yeah, between this, Heavy Rain and telltale's Jurassic park game it's pretty easy to see a future where the adventure genre no longer resembles anything Lucasarts ever made.

Bernbaum

Is there a preferred platform of choice for LA Noire?

I knew nothing about the game apart from the title until this morning. Seems like Rockstar don't care about it much.

Doncamatic said:
I picked up a level of poison making for Alistair mainly so I could burn through my poisons I had picked up. Didn't really help much but having that poison that caused a chance to stun was cool in boss fights, especially against mages.

Is it weird I never touched poison making (or trap making) for either game? It just seemed like a lot of effort to make, and use.

Salazar said:
lol. I am somewhere in the dark and nasty regions of the humanities, where nobody goes.

Salazar! You like girl's generation no? See, I got into an argument with my boyfriend over whether they diet or have had surgery. I don't think they could possibly be that skinny without dieting, and I've heard a lot of people say they've had surgery done too. My boyfriend refuses to believe either. I figured you might be the right person to ask. Have they?

Stackboy

Bernbaum said:

I knew nothing about the game apart from the title until this morning. Seems like Rockstar don't care about it much.

I would say PS3, just so you don't have to swap discs.

Omikron

Bernbaum said:

PeeCee

:(

Salazar

shanshan310 said:
Salazar! You like girl's generation no? See, I got into an argument with my boyfriend over whether they diet or have had surgery. I don't think they could possibly be that skinny without dieting, and I've heard a lot of people say they've had surgery done too. My boyfriend refuses to believe either. I figured you might be the right person to ask. Have they?

I think their company does stipulate a diet - a certain amount of calories a day - but I think that's a minimum standard, and they go over it at their discretion. It's pretty substantial though, as it takes into account the insane amount of energy you expend being up so goddamn early until so goddamn late, and dancing and exercising like hell. I imagine that a routine like that, maintained over a few years, would produce a roaring metabolism. They go to the gym a hell of a lot and have a dedicated trainer (who is an amazingly buff dude). He was on a show with them demonstrating their exercises, and it seemed like a lot of pilates kind of stuff.

Facial cosmetic surgery - no question, but I don't think any of them has had what you'd call major work.

After looking at some more info on The Witcher 2, I'm now super hyped for it and have decided to hold off on LA Noire for a little bit. I need to get in the habit of only playing one game at a time, and I'd rather give TW2 my full attention next week!

On a slightly related note, has anyone read the Demon Series by Peter V Brett? I'm almost finished the first book and can't help but feel that the world would make an awesome setting for an action RPG, especially with a day night cycle and the tension that could potentially create.

Salazar said:
I think their company does stipulate a diet - a certain amount of calories a day - but I think that's a minimum standard, and they go over it at their discretion. It's pretty substantial though, as it takes into account the insane amount of energy you expend being up so goddamn early until so goddamn late, and dancing and exercising like hell. I imagine that a routine like that, maintained over a few years, would produce a roaring metabolism. They go to the gym a hell of a lot and have a dedicated trainer (who is an amazingly buff dude). He was on a show with them demonstrating their exercises, and it seemed like a lot of pilates kind of stuff.

Facial cosmetic surgery - no question, but I don't think any of them has had what you'd call major work.

Thanks man :D

Clipper

Bernbaum said:

Given that this question was what started the conversation in the thread about the game, PS3 is the clear victor for several reasons:

• PS3 is 1 disc instead of 3
  • PS3 gets an exclusive case
  • The game was originally PS3 exclusive, so it likely was the lead development platform

The only benefit the 360 has that I can see right now is that it has online to download DLC now instead of waiting for the PSN to come back up.

what is it with Thursdays and unwanted callers? Today is the turn of the Jehovah's Fucking witnesses.

I have to admire the fact they roll up every couple of weeks despite being told to fuck off (a large proportion of my neighbourhood are either Muslims (there's a mosque about 5 minutes walk from here) or asian. Or just plain agnostics like me.

But then, any moron who can't take "not interested" for an answer can go and get fucked.

If I ignore them, they leave "literature" on the door mat and then they come back, specifically to talk to me, the following week (they roll up outside, knock on the door and then go away).

If I tell them, not interested. they still come back.

also: I too am interested in which would be the better buy for LA Noire. Now considering it was a PS3 exclusive when it was to be published by Sony, and the guy heading the project originally worked at Sony making The Getaway, you'd have to factor in that it was designed around what a PS3 could do more so than 360.
ie- it has no online multiplayer

Kirby102 said:
...so, just bought an iPad 2 (64gb 3G). What do.

(what's good amongst the ranks if ausgaf, i'll ask in the OT when I get home)

Gazunta was looking for people with iPads, hit him up with a PM dude.

Other than that....infinity blade i enjoyed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Anyone here done the switcheroo on gog for the witcher 2? I think ban is the only one so far, I'm tempted to do it myself.

Agyar

Marshmellow said:
Gazunta was looking for people with iPads, hit him up with a PM dude.

Other than that....infinity blade i enjoyed.

Was he? Why was I not informed? I enjoy both iPads and Gazunta.

Fredescu

evlcookie said:
Anyone here done the switcheroo on gog for the witcher 2? I think ban is the only one so far, I'm tempted to do it myself.
I don't know what you mean by switcheroo, but since I'm posting from Canada, that is the country I put on GoG. I downloaded it last night. To Canada.

Rahk

shanshan310 said:
Is it weird I never touched poison making (or trap making) for either game? It just seemed like a lot of effort to make, and use.

Plastic surgery is huge in South Korea. Chances are if they are on TV they've had some form of surgery done.

Kirby102

Rahk said:
Plastic surgery is huge in South Korea. Chances are if they are on TV they've had some form of surgery done.
My korean friend said that SNSD has gone through major plastic surgery, so yeah... He also showed be what they looked like before... And it wasn't pretty I must say.. D:

Fredescu said:
I don't know what you mean by switcheroo, but since I'm posting from Canada, that is the country I put on GoG. I downloaded it last night. To Canada.
I didn't realise you were Canadian too! We should organise a meetup, maybe watch some hockey on ice and eat some poutine.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fredescu said:

Any reason you moved to canada and not the united states of america? Are you unpatriotic and hate freedom?!

ClivePwned said:
Poutine Appreciation Society Assemble!

also Sirop D'erable!
big_feuille_cumberland.jpg

Choc

Banned
Bernbaum said:

which is why they have done about 4 trailers, invited the LA Times to Team Bondi for a major preview and write up, had a big press event in LA recently with TB, showed it at a film festival as a movie etc etc

i'd say they care about this A LOT

Agyar

jambo said:
He posted multiple times in this thread, something about PMing him about iOS game testing
As if I read the garbage in this thread.

Have been overseas/offline a lot lately and not keeping up with NeoGAF.

Fredescu

evlcookie said:
Any reason you moved to canada and not the united states of america? Are you unpatriotic and hate freedom?!
Mostly I hate freedom, but also it was closer to the top of the drop down list.

Shaneus

Poutine... hooooly fuck. When I was in Canada I ordered it (frequently) from one of those dodgy-looking trailers in Toronto CBD. AMAZING. Shits me that Lord of the Fries uses straight grated and still calls it "Poutine", though... and that you can't seem to buy proper stuff anywhere around Australia :(

CryptiK

Choc awhile back stated that MK9 had sexual violence in it.

A particular scene he mentioned
was that Sonya rejects Johnny so he beats the shit out of her and then Kano comes in and they both beat the shit out of her.

in truth this is what really happens

Johnny follows Sonya and makes witty comments about here being alone in a place like this and how she needs protection so Sonya turns around and beats the shit out of him and then you start the fight(You control Johnny) after the fight has finished Cage apologies for fighting and Kano makes an entrance and throws Cage off the ledge and starts beating Sonya, Cage however is hanging on to the ledge flips up and proceeds to beat the shit out of Kano.

so chocs recount is no where near the game. And it wasnt banned for sexual violence.

Shaneus said:
Shits me that Lord of the Fries uses straight grated and still calls it "Poutine", though...
According to a Canadian colleague, it's because you aren't allowed to sell cheese curd in Australia.

jambo

CryptiK said:
Choc awhile back stated that MK9 had sexual violence in it.

A particular scene he mentioned
was that Sonya rejects Johnny so he beats the shit out of her and then Kano comes in and they both beat the shit out of her.

in truth this is what really happens

Johnny follows Sonya and makes witty comments about here being alone in a place like this and how she needs protection so Sonya turns around and beats the shit out of him and then you start the fight(You control Johnny) after the fight has finished Cage apologies for fighting and Kano makes an entrance and throws Cage off the ledge and starts beating Sonya, Cage however is hanging on to the ledge flips up and proceeds to beat the shit out of Kano.

so chocs recount is no where near the game. And it wasnt banned for sexual violence.

Don't let facts get in the way of a Choc story.

Top Bottom