• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have l4d1. cant say i found it as good as everyone said it was but then again thats coming from the guy with nearly 400 hours in killing floor which i hear a lot of people secretly prefer that to l4d. man i wish they would make a sequal to that on a new engine. BIGGER AND BETTER! l4d2 i want to get gifted from not australia though. i assume thats what you all have. is the non shit version. maybe ill finally get it this easter sale and join in with you chaps.

i dont think thats what ma15+ means. someone call the government and explain that to them

EDIT: woooooooooooooooooooooh

jambo

I love Killing Floor too, we should have an AusGAF Killing Floor night as well, great co-op game.

I should be home later on Wednesday night if anyone wants to play L4D2/KF.

For our kind of play, alltalk is away better because you can openly riff between teams.

It is a little less fun, as not everyone is talking. It's more of a competitive atmosphere as only each team is talking within itself. It does solve cross-talk, confusion and channel saturation issues, possibly making it hard for listeners if many people are trying to talk.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/FAQ/English#Where_is_the_Alt-Speak_key_in_1.2.x.3F

Could be an option.

Yagharek

Nope, in the time before the PS2 had online capabilities so no online and no DLC. Local MP is insanely fun though. TONS of modes and tons of characters to unlock.

Monkey is cheating, fool.

Sounds right up my alley then. Get it for GC though I will.

What's this about Monkeys?

Yagharek

edit: this is a cross post for an idea Ive been musing over in the Wii U thread. Accidentally edited out the link, whoops.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466196&page=282

(developed over the course of this page)

It's an idea that I've had in the past, but it's kind of coalesced into a semi-coherent concept based on throwing ideas back and forth in that thread. Basically a game where you play a bird, and have to do things with a backdrop rather than just surviving.

What do people think about this:

Premise: You play as a bird. Could be that you have to live as a bird (i.e hunting for prey, drifting on thermals and timing your attacks on fieldmice etc) but it needs a backdrop.

Setting: medieval wartime (think game of thrones using messenger birds). Survival horror as a carrier pigeon. You are tasked with taking messages from one place to another. You might get shot at with arrows as you leave or arrive bringing news someone doesn't want to be revealed. You can get attacked by hawks or eagles. You have weather elements to contend with, like wind, hail, storms. You need to eat. You need to catch favourable thermal updrafts for high speed travel.

Story is revealed to you as a consequence, either indirectly or directly as a result of your mission success. Deliver one message and an alliance is formed, changing the course of war. Fail to reach it on time and the alliance fails, shifting the power balance of several factions.

Like Chibi Robo, where you see a family dynamic change as their life is made easier by your actions in cleaning up the house, you also have expository dialogue of sorts. You get to hear the musings of people who receive your messages. You can choose whether to deliver it or not along the way, or accidentally go to the wrong place.

Gameplay conceits could work well: pigeons have excellent navigation skills to allow for a GTA style radar map.

And if you get really bored you can shit on people's heads via a dedicated button. Wii U control pad screen would serve as an excellent perspective for "bombing runs" down busy streets.

For "stealth missions", how about high profile poop targets on the heads of VIPs, or evading a particularly vicious predator like a peregrine falcon by flying through a heavily forested area and making mad dashes across open plains. Or retreiving a key or something that you know someone wants/needs.

You could also chill out and fly around the landscape, Crackdown style trying to reach the tops of mountain ranges a la Agency Tower, or just explore nooks and crannies of woods and shit seeing people in small bands of thieves or farms etc interacting.

Vince, make it! I'm sure there's enough talent around GAF (probably AusGAF) to make it work. The games from the Molyjam are damned rough but some show some promise as is.

Actually, the review suggest it's all of those things and more!

An incredible collection of animated movies from the series of the 1990's. The box contains 10 dvds in separate full sized dvd cases, inside a nice box: Mask of the Phantasm Brave and the Bold vol 1 Brave and the bold vol 2 Batman Superman movie Batman: Legend Begins Volume 1 Batman: Legend Begins Volume 2 The Animated series: Tales of the Dark Knight The Animated series: Out of the Shadows The Animated series: Secrets of a Caped Crusader Mystery of the Batwoman Some of the movies are episodes from the series combined. The quality is very good for a 20 year old cartoon, plus the DVDs are nice and colourful.

Terrible Formatting
Mask of the Phantasm
Brave and the Bold vol 1
Brave and the bold vol 2
Batman Superman movie
Batman: Legend Begins Volume 1
Batman: Legend Begins Volume 2
The Animated series: Tales of the Dark Knight
The Animated series: Out of the Shadows
The Animated series: Secrets of a Caped Crusader
Mystery of the Batwoman

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I want to sell my Astro Mixamp. Given it is a US purchase and, from my digging, few if anybody tries to sell them locally over eBay, what do you guys suggest as my best course of action? It's mint, so I do want to get close to what I paid for it.

Gumtree?

I've changed my mind. I might already have one. Or perhaps it no longer meets my needs.

To help a pal out, though, I can Paypal you $1.50. Immediately.

You have 2 minutes to respond.

Edit: in all seriousness (seriously, though, you have 2 minutes to respond) I'm assuming it's all all-in-one audio out joineruperer so multiple sources can be fed into the one audio out?

Yagharek

Vince, make it! I'm sure there's enough talent around GAF (probably AusGAF) to make it work. The games from the Molyjam are damned rough but some show some promise as is.

I can't make games, but you're the second person who has told me to do it.... Out of only two replies O_O

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's a surround sound solution for headphones. You plug it into your ps3/360 via an optical cable, set your console to 5.1/7.1, then plug in a pair of stereo headphones. The mixer samples the surround signal to stereo to emulate a surround sound environment with stereo headphones.

I can't make games, but you're the second person who has told me to do it.... Out of only two replies O_O

But you can design it, maybe you have the art or sound skills too. The game you're probably imagining is likely way too ambitious to make first up, but choose one of the mechanics and you can explore it.

Gazunta

edit: this is a cross post for an idea Ive been musing over in the Wii U thread. Accidentally edited out the link, whoops.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466196&page=282

(developed over the course of this page)

It's an idea that I've had in the past, but it's kind of coalesced into a semi-coherent concept based on throwing ideas back and forth in that thread. Basically a game where you play a bird, and have to do things with a backdrop rather than just surviving.

What do people think about this:

And if you play on the wii version you should flap your arms to fly!
Sorry bad Gahoole flashback

Sounds very much like what we had planned for Gahoole before we had to rip the metagame out.

Edit: actually Vince lemme ask you this: how would combat work?

Shaneus

I want to sell my Astro Mixamp. Given it is a US purchase and, from my digging, few if anybody tries to sell them locally over eBay, what do you guys suggest as my best course of action? It's mint, so I do want to get close to what I paid for it.

Gumtree?
How much? I already have an X41 which does a fine job of decoding surround sound, but damn if that doesn't look like hot shit.

What's the USB for? Will that actually act as a soundcard/headphone amp? If so... FUCK WOW ZOMG something. And it would act as a decent headphone preamp too? Hmmmm. God damn etc.

Oh guys. In case you weren't paying attention to my Twitter bitching and moaning, cop this:
cR148.png

Yagharek

Make sure to call out the PC as a dead platform and that the future is WiiUWare.
While also decrying the use of Chiptunes in Indie games and that the future of Indie game music is Peruvian flute music.

I like this idea. You can be Vice President of Creative Hats for Avians when my company is up and running.

Danoss

Oh guys. In case you weren't paying attention to my Twitter bitching and moaning, cop this:
http://i.imgur.com/cR148.png[img][/QUOTE]

I'm not on the Geelong line, you cop it!

Sorry man, sounds like that totally sucks. How can they get away with charging for such rubbish?

New slogan? "VLine: We're fucking terrible, just get a car".

I like this idea. You can be Vice President of Creative Hats for Avians when my company is up and running.

Awesome. As my first action as VP of CHfA I would like to mark this as the plan for the first sequel, due 9 months after the first game touches down (or 6 months after the final DLC pack of course).

When do I get my first check?

Shaneus

I'm not on the Geelong line, you cop it!

Sorry man, sounds like that totally sucks. How can they get away with charging for such rubbish?
It's a bit shit!

Fortunately(?!?) I was lucky enough to have missed both the trains that got caught in the middle of nowhere (ran late, thankfully) and that announcement (scored a bus and was half-way home when that SMS was sent) but I feel REALLY sorry for everyone else. Such a load of shit.

Just some food for thought:
Do you envisage a 2D or 3D game? How would the thermals be shown? What sort of variety is there to be had in the missions?

Steal some stuff from Flower/AssCreBro in regards to using thermals and have a slight fuzzy indication where they are. Third person view similar to Arkham City would work well, the dive/glide mechanic from that could be retooled.

Combat would be more like survival horror where you make a beeline for trees/cover and use your superior manoeuvrability to take out the predators in the trees, maybe even have bird calls to bring in other, bigger, predators to take your attackers out.

I am totally stealing this idea Vince. Not that I will do anything with it aside from draw some shitty sketches and throw together some shitty synth ambient music and lose interest by the end of the week.

Gazunta

Vince remind me to send you a copy of Ga'Hoole sometime. We spent a few years designing a game where you were a bird riding thermals in a medieval setting and fighting other creatures and going on missions and shit. JUST SAYING.

So anyway. Should Ribena syrup be mixed with water or lemonade? BURNING QUESTIONS FOR A NEW AGE.

Is anyone going to the Melbourne Supanova next week? I am so God damn jealous. Scott Kurtz and Kris Straub!

Oh hey if anyone can let me know when the new Game Informer hits the shelves...that would be good ;)

Danoss

So anyway. Should Ribena syrup be mixed with water or lemonade? BURNING QUESTIONS FOR A NEW AGE.

Water or lemonade are both excellent choices (I'm partial to water), though use Schweppes lemonade as it's far less sweet than others. If you want the neutrality of water with the fizziness of lemonade, give sparkling mineral water a try.

Ribena is best enjoyed without a mixer. Definitely no ice but maybe a little bit of mineral water. The water should be room temperature, not chilled.

Open the bottle and allow it to sit for 15 (or 30 for best results) minutes to allow the tannins to fully define themselves.

Shaneus

Vince/reptile etc.: Is Deadly Premonition the really cheesy, poorly produced-yet-awesome horror game? That was for 3-siddy, yeah? I might be interested! Also keen on No More Heroes, but I think I can hold off on that for a bit, I reckon it'll bomba a bit more still.

PS. Reptile: Couldn't see a link to that video you were twittering about?

PPS. Reptile: That Orbital vid, so sad :( But good song. Czech out the Tom Middleton remix. It's so fucking good. He also did this, which is probably my favourite track of last year. Do yerself a favour /molly

Danoss

Ribena is best enjoyed without a mixer. Definitely no ice but maybe a little bit of mineral water. The water should be room temperature, not chilled.

Open the bottle and allow it to sit for 15 (or 30 for best results) minutes to allow the tannins to fully define themselves.

Mixing up your whisky and wine analogies here.

Yagharek

I've never played gahoole (sp) but I believe you gaz, people can have similar ideas independently for sure. :)

Combat is not an issue. Pigeons aren't predators so the only issue is fleeing and evading, sneaking and eating bugs.

I picture the game in my head as real world, so that would lead naturally to a 3d engine. Another thing about flight with birds, and I get this from watching two eagles out my window every day this week, is that they tend to gain height with changing the angle of their wings to the head wind. Oncoming wind plus greater angle of exposure equals more lift. So you could have a simple wind arrow along the map indicating direction and speed with elevation.

Thermals, from a naturalistic point of view could be represented with subtle force feedback. This would indicate clear air turbulence or convection, and you just take it as it comes. No visual indicators at all, just reactions to a presented environment.

I wouldn't emphasize time constraints on a pigeon either. You get there quickly, message heeded. Get there late and you would see a reaction along those lines. You aren't taking part in the war; just a spectator to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom