• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
When I said hot water in lemon to you over Twitter I literally meant a mug of boiling water with a slice of lemon! You could also put in a little honey if it's too tart. Lemsip also has paracetamol of some sort to numb the pain in your throat. If you don't have that, don't take it.

I thought as much. I do have a somewhat sore throat but it was about as close to a lemon as I could get around here!

Frawdder

Not all of them

Whinging about having Kids in a show and also whinging about talking financials is FUCKING STUPID

when its a BUSINESS EVENT that affects shareholders views of a company. its not a show me your fucking games only event

there is a lot of stuff that happens @ e3 which has nothing to do with showing games.
You are reading IGN, what do you expect?

Also, stop reading IGN.

Deeku

When I said hot water with lemon to you over Twitter I literally meant a mug of boiling water with a slice of lemon! You could also put in a little honey if it's too tart.
Oh this is really good, works a treat every time! Hot lemon ginger coke is also good.

Also, liking the green hair Sal.

Are you seriously trying to defend those practices Choc?

Some of it is pretty stuck up bullshit. I mean this?

Best to leave the little loves at home. If you really must display a game’s infantile simplicity, have a CEO play it for us. We’ll be convinced.

What's going to make the evening news random video game exec playing video games? Or adorable children playing video games? I guarantee the second one every time

By 2006 the sale of mobiles in the Czech Republic had reached a 13% penetration opening up integrated opportunities for further transmedia synergies which SHUT THE HELL UP AND SHOW US SOME GAMES.

Numbers are boring, but they're important. Maybe not in a world dominated by previews and Q&A articles but in actual journalism they are pretty valuable.

Putting a crowd of shills in the audience is pretty low though. And no one cares about no name comedians. Most of them are hardly "gaffes" though

The majority are valid points. A couple aren't.

They're the type of thing that might piss off a dedicated games outlet like IGN but not mainstream media. The first point is an "appalling gaffe", the cheerleaders is pretty dodgy, the others are just basic presentation mistakes. Celebrities, disorganisation and bad comedy is hardly restricted to game trade shows.

In other news - This guy wants to bring league to the US

I don't know how I feel about that at all. I mean I'd love to see league take off in America and it has its similarities to gridiron as it is, but I don't want another joke Origin game happening like the last LA one. And flying around the world in the middle of the season can't be a good idea.

Fredescu

the others are just basic presentation mistakes. Celebrities, disorganisation and bad comedy is hardly restricted to game trade shows.
Yeah, they're negatives. You're agreeing with me I guess? If you're posting the link in the way Choc did and your only comment is "whinge whinge whinge" you're going to have to be specific about what you're complaining about. After a skim of the article they all seemed valid, as 8/10 of them are.

Shaneus

I also had a similar threat leveled against me after I played a bit too much Torchlight 2 after the little guy went to sleep and the fiancee wanted to watch something with me. She didn't actually go and do them but she was pissy about it until I eventually went and watched some Simpsons with her.
A wife that gets pissy if you *don't* watch Simpsons with her. She have a sister?

I wife that gets pissy if you *don't* watch Simpsons with her. She have a sister?
She has 2. But you would be nothanks.jpg after one meeting with them.

Also she didn't say Simpsons but I couldn't think of anything else to watch. Movies go for too long and we are up to date on Modern Family and Big Bang Theory! Would love some new Archer too.

jambo

Old Simpsons -> Old Futurama -> New Futurama -----------------------------------------------------------------> New Simpsons

Yeah, they're negatives. You're agreeing with me I guess? If you're posting the link in the way Choc did and your only comment is "whinge whinge whinge" you're going to have to be specific about what you're complaining about. After a skim of the article they all seemed valid, as 8/10 of them are.

I think I'm being pretty pedantic about wording really. Few of these are gaffes. They are more complaints. And for a game specific outlet like IGN I'm sure they're valid, their audience is more interested in trailers than stats or children. But that doesn't make it a gaffe.

Stats will be something financial outlets will lap up and adorable kids are loved by mainstream TV.

Being disorganised, unfunny (and unnecessary) comedians and celebs aren't gaffes. They are just a pain in the arse.

Fredescu

I think I'm being pretty pedantic about wording really. Few of these are gaffes.
I think you're basically complaining about the headline. It's a valid complaint, but to use your own phrase, headlines that are more sensational than the body of the article are "hardly restricted to game trade publications".

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Solution: Get home from work, throw out all the shit in the sink into the bin.

Go to KMart and buy mugs, glasses, plates, bowls, cutlery. 4 of each all identical.

:( but I have sets of 6 matching dinner plates, bowls and side plates. I have about 400 pieces of cutlery, I have 2 glasses + 2 pasta sauce jars(could use more)

really i just need mugs! why would i bin everything else ;_; that shit was pricey jerk!

and im poor atm :(

my toe hurts

:( but I have sets of 6 matching dinner plates, bowls and side plates. I have about 400 pieces of cutlery, I have 2 glasses + 2 pasta sauce jars(could use more)

really i just need mugs! why would i bin everything else ;_; that shit was pricey jerk!

my toe hurts
You have so much shit that no one wants to dotge dishes because it is such a massive task!

Simplify!
Man!

Clipper

I'll be up on the gold coast during early July if people want to do stuff then.

Considering I have managed to be at a tasgsf and melbgaf so far. Clipper is beating me for meetups attended, though.

Only if we count board game meetups.

And how early in July? It may help me make up my mind about which week to come in :p

midonnay

my toe hurts

wait outside a salvation army store late at night and check if anyone's left cutlery....

watch out for Today Tonight/A Current Affair reporters. >_>

MrSerrels

Argh.

Going to have a whinge here because man, I don't know why.

It kills me -- anytime you break a story, numerous outlets basically just copy and paste your entire bloody interview and, if you're lucky, you get a link no-one will ever click on for your trouble.

I can honestly say that anytime I cover news that's been broken by, say Eurogamer, I'm very selective about what I use, mainly because I think these posts should be -- 'here's the main thing that happened, go to Eurogamer for the full story', because it's their bloody story!

Last week I had it happen to me with the GAME story, this week it's the same thing with JB selling parallel imports. So many stories have copied and pasted entire interviews! Not selectively quoting, which would be fine, the entire thing.

Argh!

/rant

Sorry guys. Just needed to get that off my chest.

midonnay

They don't seem to have it anymore....but the Australian Financial Review had a novel way of stopping copy pasters.....

when you try to copy their reports....

@afr was pasted inbetween each word randomly (so even if you use Word to blanket remove all instances the punctuation would be all fucked up)

eg: @afrwhat@frthe @afr Australian @afr Financial@afrReview

it may not stop the most determined of bastards but it was really annoying when I wanted to quote an article onto a forum post.

not sure how they did it....probably some javascript thingamajig.

Argh.

Going to have a whinge here because man, I don't know why.

It kills me -- anytime you break a story, numerous outlets basically just copy and paste your entire bloody interview and, if you're lucky, you get a link no-one will ever click on for your trouble.

I can honestly say that anytime I cover news that's been broken by, say Eurogamer, I'm very selective about what I use, mainly because I think these posts should be -- 'here's the main thing that happened, go to Eurogamer for the full story', because it's their bloody story!

Last week I had it happen to me with the GAME story, this week it's the same thing with JB selling parallel imports. So many stories have copied and pasted entire interviews! Not selectively quoting, which would be fine, the entire thing.

Argh!

/rant

Sorry guys. Just needed to get that off my chest.
Need to DLC those articles man. Make each one tweet length so they will have to cut and paste multiple times!

Choc

Banned
the jb hifi story i found on YOUR site mark :)

it sounds really interesting. I do like the fact that unlike some other places they are clearly indicating imports

you forgot to ask if they are aware that Xbox and PSN codes from the US (such as online passes) dont work in Australia.... on AU PSN

and how they might deal with that

Is it even legal to copypaste like that??!

I have no idea how it's legal, but apparently it is. It's dodgy as shit. Since the AOL buy out its what HuffPo does like crazy too. I mean they always did but it seems way worse now then it was.

They should at least link back to you though Serrels. Bastards

Choc

Banned
in media broadcasting there is rules aroudn thsi

for example channel seven who do not have rights to the a-league can only show very brief highlights of each match on the news

they don't need to ask permission, as long as it remains under a certain length. The same probably applies to print media, but web media, wow its hard

the problem with doing what the AFR does on a site like Kotaku means that it is less likely they will take the story and write about it if they actually have to retype quotes

cost benefit. Benefit = Major exclusive. Cost = link back

but if they dont link back anyway, who cares

or post a story

'im sick of people stealing my shit' with a whole bunch of site names :p

Might be time either look into those things that copies the attibution information along with the text (I think NYT does it?), or have hidden text that appears when copy/pasting and maybe just inserts random words, or kotaku kotaku kotaku over and over.

Edit: Yeah, what Midonnay said...

Choc

Banned
Might be time either look into those things that copies the attibution information along with the text (I think NYT does it?), or have hidden text that appears when copy/pasting and maybe just inserts random words, or kotaku kotaku kotaku over and over.

you can get scripts that when you copy and paste the url is appended to the end. If they then remove it then you know they had zero intention of crediting you.

MrSerrels

Thanks guys! Maybe I will add some crazy sneaky shit to catch people out. I honestly don't mind some amount of churnalism. I have to do a lot of it myself -- but there's a right way to do it I think.

The way Games.on.net did it is right on the money. That's how it should be done. I like what those guys are doing over there a lot.

I think the question you have to ask is: have you taken away every single reason a curious reader would have to check out the original story and learn new details? If so, then you're doing it wrong.

Yagharek

If you want to stop people copying it directly, post your article as a jpeg with a watermark. That way they either have to steal it wholesale and type it out, or hotlink it and risk unsavoury images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom