• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Still no key, reptile. Still no key.

WHAT THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO HERE?!? "LIFE"?!?

Again, I'm assuming there's no more to do than just create an account on that site, yeah?

Still no key, reptile. Still no key.

WHAT THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO HERE?!? "LIFE"?!?

Again, I'm assuming there's no more to do than just create an account on that site, yeah?
You went to their site and made an account and said yes please send me a key? Nothing more you can do, Cookie got his key this morning so hopefully it isn't far off. I'll PM you the link to download the beta so at least you just have to punch in the code once it hits.

West ham are in the premier league and spurs didn't make the champions league. Good times.
Congrats! Gave their Wiki a quick read, seems like a frustrating team to be a member of.

Shaneus

Oh, thanks for that RS. I've actually read their site and am now up to speed with the whole thing. Did you know they were accepting signups for beta in Feb? We could've been playing it this whole time!

Shenanigans.

Nothing is cray cray about getting your daily intake of potassium. Also pot. Also what kind of layer of filth did you end up with on your skin in the morning Bern? That is when you know things got awesome.

Also TV antenna must have shit itself this weekend so I had to quickly download some Bob the Builder and Driver Dan from UseNet on request.

Oh, thanks for that RS. I've actually read their site and am now up to speed with the whole thing. Did you know they were accepting signups for beta in Feb? We could've been playing it this whole time!
I do recall that, I never expected to be accepted though honestly. Maybe I did sign up for the closed beta, I am mildly sure I did ages and ages ago but that may have been way back last year.

Played about 3 mins of Torchlight 2 so far. Not long enough to form an opinion yet, but I've created an AusGAF server if anyone wants to join in. Currently paused (I assume that's my end only) and will be back in about half an hour after doing some errands.

Bern, that's certainly an interesting weekend. Totally jealous of your proximity to Europe for weekend getaways.

Cohsae

Wait Torchlight 2 is playable? I'm so out of the loop. Do I need to preorder to get in? Is it open beta? How much time do I have? WHAT YEAR IS IT

Rezbit

There I am, drunk on crappy Heineken in the heart of Amsterdam on all fours like a dog performing fellatio on a banana that's strapped into a Czech stripper's bikini in front of all my mates. Ate about 20 euros worth of McDonalds later that night.

Hahah, what a story.

andrew johns just said fuck on the footy show on live tv

lulz

Ha, I'm actually surprised its the first time he has. I'm pretty sure his brother said it a bunch of times on the old Sunday Roast. When he used to sit there looking hung over as hell gulping down water every week

Shaneus

I saw GNW, I clicked.

I saw the Ten watermark, I closed. Before it had a chance to (I assume) cut to that blond chick who is quite possibly the least funny person on the planet (next to Amanda Keller and most of the Generation cast).

Hey guys, before I fire up Torchlight 2 (I know, right?) do I need to move my wheel for easy access to the KBAM or can I (*gasp*) use my 360 controller?

Shaneus

Bahaha. That first panel they show is Clare, Wil and Josh. That's too much of a fluke to correspond with my last post. I can't stand Wil either.

Sorry shan.

Adam Hills is far better than Wil Anderson. They're like good vs. bizarro Superman.

Shaneus

Yerp. Hills is awesome, has a prosthetic leg, is funny. Wil Anderson is some dude who's best ability is working his name into a pun for names of his comedy shows.

Edit: Everyone's alright with Adam Spencer. Adam Spencer's fucking awesome. What happened to him, anyway? Still in media or busy being a fucking genius? Can't remember what it was I remember him mostly from (a music show on ABC? With Dr. Karl doing something? Fuck, no idea) but I know I like the dude.

Pretty sure he does ABC local radio or something doesn't he? I swear I've heard him filling in for someone somewhere sometime.

I'd normally agree that Wildo the Dildo and Josh Thomas rubbish but that was pretty funny. I have nothing against Claire Hooper.

I still don't get is why Josh Thomas has a British accent. He's from Brisbane. Not Surrey. Stop it.

Agyar

Why so down on Wil Anderson? I've never seen one of his shows I didn't like and honestly, he's one of the best performing Australian comedians around. This isn't to say that there aren't a whole lot of other great acts out there (because there are) but Wil Anderson knows how to put on a great show from start to finish every time. He often jokes about being mistaken for Adam Hills, which is quite funny.

Josh Thomas used to be a lot funnier, when he was just an awkward quirky guy that was probably gay but didn't know it yet. Now he's a borderline obnoxious celebrity who's comedy revolves around being gay and famous.

I've also seen Clare Hooper live and she's good, quiet and smart compared to some other comedians around. I would definitely see her again.

My favourite Australian comedian at the moment is Sam Simmons. Anybody who wants to see something funny that deviates entirely from normal stand-up should check him out. Absurd is really the only word to describe his shows.

And Shaneus has bad taste in comedy and is probably an unfunny, ugly person who is intimidated by success and wears tracksuit pants to the grocery store.

Last comedy show I saw was Arj Barker, next will be Kitty Flanegan again down here.

Dylan Moran would probably rate as the best show I saw a few years back.

I've found Wil really hit and miss, he was really solid early on. Josh Thomas is impossible watch now that he has fallen into a persona that works for him.

Last comedy show I saw was Arj Barker, next will be Kitty Flanegan again down here.

Dylan Moran would probably rate as the best show I saw a few years back.

I've found Wil really hit and miss, he was really solid early on. Josh Thomas is impossible watch now that he has fallen into a persona that works for him.

Totally agree with this. He's amazingly hilarious.

I don't mind Gruen Transfer, but that's more for the content then for Wil. He just seems like a dick. I thought I liked him when he was on triple j but since then he has continuously shat me

legend166

I think you took what I wrote the wrong way. Around the end of Season 4 all the crew thought that the show was going to be cancelled. All the original staff writers had burnt out and left the show. The new crew were able to continue writing and producing the show in a similar fashion while still making it brilliant in a different way. It was only when the crew that took over around the 12th season that the quality really went downhill fast, I think David Mirkin or someone was the show runner for 8 seasons straight or something stupid? All the high flyers got poached or burnt out.

Finally my Simpsons nerd knowledge can come in handy!

David Mirkin was the show runner for seasons five and six. Mike Scully took over in season 9 and ran it into the crapper, and Al Jean (one of the originals, actually) came back in season 13 and the show never recovered.

I think the difference between The Simpsons and Community is that The Simpsons was never really a single voice, and it had strong backing from the executives (Groening, Brooks, Simon). Community really seems like it was driven entirely by Harmon. With him gone, I have no idea what the show is going to look like. Plus, it helps with animation that you don't have actors who have spent the last three years working with one creative head and now have to deal with someone else.

Clipper

SydGAF Board Games with our Brissy visitor went fine. Marshmellow was perfectly on time, so I was able to run through a demo of Munchkin with him, with Doncamatic showing up shortly after we were done.

We then played a several hour game of Munchkin resulting in Doncamatic finally getting the win after several attempts and having been Level 9 for a very long time.

After lunch, we then had a round of Discworld with Marshmellow realising he had won as Crysoprase after we thought the game was over and going down to points.

Altogether a pretty great day. Next time is scheduled for June 3 right now. That might change depending on numbers, but we shall see.

Thanks to clipper and donc for being so welcoming, was a good afternoon. Board games were fun too and funny as a 1st timer on both. Just getting back to apartments now, sydney has suprisingly good transport despite their system being an utter nightmare for an outsider to understand.

Outside of sydgaf. Sydney has been fun to explore so far.

I don't mind Gruen Transfer, but that's more for the content then for Wil. He just seems like a dick. I thought I liked him when he was on triple j but since then he has continuously shat me
I do enjoy his work on Gruen and a few other shows but his general standup isn't for me any more. Most guest spots he does on TV don't make me laugh either.

Finally my Simpsons nerd knowledge can come in handy!

David Mirkin was the show runner for seasons five and six. Mike Scully took over in season 9 and ran it into the crapper, and Al Jean (one of the originals, actually) came back in season 13 and the show never recovered.

I think the difference between The Simpsons and Community is that The Simpsons was never really a single voice, and it had strong backing from the executives (Groening, Brooks, Simon). Community really seems like it was driven entirely by Harmon. With him gone, I have no idea what the show is going to look like. Plus, it helps with animation that you don't have actors who have spent the last three years working with one creative head and now have to deal with someone else.
Yeah I haven't watched the DVD commentary's for ages now, they are fantastic! Lots of great information in them for the Simpsons lovers.

It was if Mike Scully felt the need to change things up to avoid becoming stale, almost like stepping into the shoes that had been filled so well by Mirkin and the duo of Oakley & Weinstein threw him off his game. Which is strange since he wrote some damn great episodes back in the day too.
Season 9 would have had holdovers from Season 8, which is why I can still see episodes in there that I loved.
Season 10 had some fun, zany stuff going on and it is still very watchable. The ones where they try and pull on your heartstrings don't seem to work as well as in the past though, maybe they lay it on a little too blunt.
Looking at the 11th season though is when it becomes hard to still call it a "great" show. Behind The Laughter is the only one in that season I would bother to watch again.
Not to mention that Al Jean came crawling back to The Simpsons after leaving to making The Critic, then when that was cancelled to Disney where he ended up leaving when another show got cancelled. He was responsible (along with Mike Reiss who maybe was the stronger in that partnership) for what most people agree is the best seasons of the show so for Jean to let the last ten years of Simpsons go through is pretty crazy.

ANYWAY back to the original point, Season 5 when Mirkin took over was the point where the majority of the original staff left the show burnt out and a lot of new writers and producers were brought in or were from the year before. That was a real danger point for the producers and Mirkin was able to keep the show at its peak while the tone was widen slightly with the introduction of more out there content, with Homer going into space. They made it grounded and believable as it was more about his relationship with Bart than it was about being in space.

In regards to Community the new showrunners really just need to look to this kind of thing and study it immensely to get close enough to push out half a regular season of decent/good episodes to make it to syndication. Unless all the actors walk out it won't be a wash for the studio.
I actually found it funny that McHale made a comment about the show being taken out of the creators hands since he was the one who was meant to be the replacement Roy on the US version of The IT Crowd. I guess when you don't have a success to your name at the time you are willing to overlook these kinds of things...

Finished the Torchlight 2 beta. Will probably spend some more time in it with a mate trying out a different class before it expires, and it would have been nice if reptile, cookie and I could have played for longer earlier today, but I had a pretty good time with it.

I guess the only problem with this (and Diablo 3) is that it's not significantly different than Diablo 2 which came out more than a decade ago. Surely someone involved could come up with unique ideas in that time? I'll cut the Torchlight guys a little more slack since their sequel didn't take 12 years, and they're a much smaller developer, but even so...

midonnay

Why not have a whiteboard? Or post it notes? Or a projector?

You guys will run out easily at this rate. Top of the ladder again baby!
Also Blues went home at quarter time and the Crows ran a training drill. Will be interesting to see how long Murphy is out for.

worst possible team to lose your first ruckman to >_>

Murphy probably will be out for a month at least...... man this season is so topsy turvey.

Dead Man

Bahaha. That first panel they show is Clare, Wil and Josh. That's too much of a fluke to correspond with my last post. I can't stand Wil either.

Sorry shan.

Adam Hills is far better than Wil Anderson. They're like good vs. bizarro Superman.

Wil Anderson is a second rate hack who just bitches about things. Adam Hills is an all round nice guy who happens to be funny as hell.

Edit: http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/13732400/katter-regrets-allowing-homophobic-ads/

Maverick federal MP Bob Katter has told an audience with former prime minister Kevin Rudd he will regret homophobic advertisements aired by his party "for the rest of my days".

Katter's Australia Party's ads, featuring a pixilated black and white image of an older gay man with a young lover, went to air during the Queensland election campaign in March.

The party's founder, who holds the vast far north Queensland federal electorate of Kennedy, admitted the ads were a political mistake but later angrily refused to answer questions on gay marriage.

Sharing a stage with his fellow Queenslander at the Sydney Writers Festival, Mr Rudd denounced the ads.

"The campaign about sexuality wasn't exactly about same sex marriage. It was a fair bit rougher than that," he said during a forum to explore Mr Katter's book An Incredible Race of People.

Mr Katter said the ads were a "simple example of insensitivity" and a "crowning glory of all mistakes".

"This was a political mistake of major proportions," he said.

"I let the ad go and I suppose in that sense that will be one of the regrets I'll carry for the rest of my days."

But Mr Katter became testy when a woman in the audience asked about gay marriage.

"Lady, I love your question," he said.

"I'm really not going to take any more questions on it because I'm very short-tempered."

Mr Katter said that in nearly four decades as a state and federal MP, only one constituent had raised the issue of gay marriage, compared with "maybe ten thousand" who were concerned about diseased flying foxes.

"You are preoccupied with some little thing that comes in from America," he said, provoking the loudest boos from the audience.

Earlier, Mr Rudd reminded Mr Katter of his old pledge to walk backwards from north Queensland to Bourke or Brisbane if there were homosexuals in his electorate.
"You're in Sydney now," he said, sparking laughter.

Uh huh. Just a political mistake.

Shaneus

"I'm really not going to take any more questions on it because I'm very short-tempered."? If something like that makes you short-tempered, then you really need to fucking re-evaluate your values, pal.

What a cunt.

I do enjoy his work on Gruen and a few other shows but his general standup isn't for me any more. Most guest spots he does on TV don't make me laugh either.

Yeah I haven't watched the DVD commentary's for ages now, they are fantastic! Lots of great information in them for the Simpsons lovers.

It was if Mike Scully felt the need to change things up to avoid becoming stale, almost like stepping into the shoes that had been filled so well by Mirkin and the duo of Oakley & Weinstein threw him off his game. Which is strange since he wrote some damn great episodes back in the day too.
Season 9 would have had holdovers from Season 8, which is why I can still see episodes in there that I loved.
Season 10 had some fun, zany stuff going on and it is still very watchable. The ones where they try and pull on your heartstrings don't seem to work as well as in the past though, maybe they lay it on a little too blunt.
Looking at the 11th season though is when it becomes hard to still call it a "great" show. Behind The Laughter is the only one in that season I would bother to watch again.
Not to mention that Al Jean came crawling back to The Simpsons after leaving to making The Critic, then when that was cancelled to Disney where he ended up leaving when another show got cancelled. He was responsible (along with Mike Reiss who maybe was the stronger in that partnership) for what most people agree is the best seasons of the show so for Jean to let the last ten years of Simpsons go through is pretty crazy.

ANYWAY back to the original point, Season 5 when Mirkin took over was the point where the majority of the original staff left the show burnt out and a lot of new writers and producers were brought in or were from the year before. That was a real danger point for the producers and Mirkin was able to keep the show at its peak while the tone was widen slightly with the introduction of more out there content, with Homer going into space. They made it grounded and believable as it was more about his relationship with Bart than it was about being in space.
Careful! They're ruffled!

In regards to Community the new showrunners really just need to look to this kind of thing and study it immensely to get close enough to push out half a regular season of decent/good episodes to make it to syndication. Unless all the actors walk out it won't be a wash for the studio.
I actually found it funny that McHale made a comment about the show being taken out of the creators hands since he was the one who was meant to be the replacement Roy on the US version of The IT Crowd. I guess when you don't have a success to your name at the time you are willing to overlook these kinds of things...
It's fucked. All the leads in it have lent their support, except for Chase (obvious, also he's not on Twitter) and Donald Glover (surprising, but I noticed his record label is parented by Sony... hmm) and one of their best writers hasn't been given a contract to sign for next season either (Megan Ganz, who wrote the first bottle episode, the timeline episode and another awesome one... where Britta briefly becomes a wedding planner (I think?) ). Maybe not for the network, but for the fans this is definitely a ship that's sinking very fucking quickly.

I was kinda feeling a bit sorry for him until that 'people only care cause it came in from America ' line.

Thanks to clipper and donc for being so welcoming, was a good afternoon. Board games were fun too and funny as a 1st timer on both. Just getting back to apartments now, sydney has suprisingly good transport despite their system being an utter nightmare for an outsider to understand.

Outside of sydgaf. Sydney has been fun to explore so far.

You gonna be back for bris gaf?

Urk. Mine is 80,000. You bastard.

Hey, at least it's about something you enjoy right? ^^

Hey, Hey guys. I bottle fed a baby goat at brookfield fair. -w-

Salazar

a forum to explore Mr Katter's book An Incredible Race of People.

Explore it ? Are we pretending it advances something that can be described as an idea ?

Shan said:
Hey, at least it's about something you enjoy right? ^^

Mmmmmmmmhhmm. Prefer talking about it to writing about it, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom