• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Jint, I don't think coop mq has them, UTS has heaps if I remember correctly. Or Usyd. Just order online, they're quite quick.

Well, I was going to go into the city tommorrow so I figured I'll pick it up there... or maybe I won't get that chance since I'm going to be crazy pressed for time...

Woot! New antenna, booster and power supply installed! We have ABC2 again, everything is right with the world.
Also:

20120524_141845a9erw.jpg

Arrived!

First impressions are that it is a typically awesome Rockstar game with the gameplay intact from the original series. Still INCREDIBLE fun! Some of the level design (actually a lot) is a bit underwhelming and doesn't flow very well but the story is really really cool even if it is nothing like the Remedy games, pretty much a love note to Michael Mann and does the things that K&L2 did in a different, more stylish and subdued way. The brutality is quite nice to see rather than them shooting for a PG13.

PS3 version had a MASSIVE install. Controls took a bit of rejiggering but feel fine now, although M/K will shit all over them. Just doesn't feel right, too slow using dual analog. Framerate is lower than I had hoped but was expected, again it should be proper on PC. 720p and looks great! Cutscenes have some issues with framerate but, again, it is more about it being on a console rather than it being an inferior port. Overall very very happy to be playing the PS3 version and I can't see the 360 one being much different.
Brightness settings are a bit low though.

More impressions as we gooooo!

Untold:

$151.01 Asrock Z77 board: http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23862&pid=43412&p=product
$248.13 i5-3570k http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23160&pid=43542&p=product
$38 Coolermaster 212 CPU Cooler http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23165&pid=42371&p=product
$60.44 G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23434&pid=39802&p=product
--
$497.58

That's the base. Then I think you can choose between three video cards depending on whether you want to save money or spend a little more.

$257.40 ATI 7850 http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23519&pid=43313&p=product
--
$754.98

$286 Nvidia GTX570 http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23519&pid=43803&p=product
--
$783.58

$354.87 7870 http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23519&pid=43454&p=product
--
$852.45

I don't think there is that much of a gap between the 7850 and the GTX570, but there is quite a step up to the 7870. The GTX570 will use more power, so make sure you have a decent 600w PSU to run it or don't bother. The 7850 needs 500w and the 7870 needs 550w.
What is your opinion on the 560Ti? Is it better value for money to grab a 570 instead? Really tempted by the MSI Hawk one.

Also what is the deal with that i5? Much of a gain over the 2500K?

Also this is the CPU cooler I fitted on my mates new PC a few weeks ago, Hyper TX3 EVO. Pretty damn good for the price, runs as cool as my 212+.

Already finished my first run! It really is fantastic. The story is MUCH improved and the gunplay is actually fun this time around. Much improved in every way. Nice detailed levels with the only drawback being that you can't get into a lot of cool places or they don't have as much to interact with inside.

Fucking steal for $11! Also has a score attack mode like in the old Max Payne games! Dought I will touch it though.

Fredescu

What is your opinion on the 560Ti? Is it better value for money to grab a 570 instead? Really tempted by the MSI Hawk one.
The 7850 is faster, uses less power, and is the same price or cheaper. Not much point in a 560ti now unless you can get it at run out prices. If you must have Nvidia, wait for the 660.

Also what is the deal with that i5? Much of a gain over the 2500K?
It's the next generation. Not a huge gain, as in there's no point upgrading from a 2500k to one, but if you're building new you might as well get it because it's around the same price.

The 7850 is faster, uses less power, and is the same price or cheaper. Not much point in a 560ti now unless you can get it at run out prices. If you must have Nvidia, wait for the 660.

It's the next generation. Not a huge gain, as in there's no point upgrading from a 2500k to one, but if you're building new you might as well get it because it's around the same price.

Awesome! I will continue holding out for the 660, should be too far away now.

Yagharek

Alright, no interest was expressed yesterday and thats fine. I'm going to be trading in my 360 next week given that I dont really have time for, room for, or interest in it any longer.

Deadly Premonition is Shaneus' dibs.
Halo Reach collectors edition up for grabs.
CoD MW3 is up for grabs.
Left 4 Dead 2 (UK uncensored edn) is too.

I have a copy of Deus Ex HR for 360 as well which is minus a case and will probably go into the AusGAF pool of games to share around.

All games have until June 6 to be claimed or else they get traded in too, except for Deus Ex.

Rlan

Whew! It's been a gut wrenching few weeks, but we've finally released big updates for all our iPhone games at once!

New-Characters-620x465.jpg

Fruit Ninja has done a big update with Version 1.8, now with Gutsu's Store with new power ups! And an amazing trailer, which was done by the People's Reublic in Adelaide!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca7H8GaKqmQ

This is also something I worked on for a change! Yay!

Jetpack Joyride also did a big update with more more gadgets, including Flash The Dog! With the most adorable trailer around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye_317ZNx8w

The trailer also features me for a second :p

Fruit Ninja: Puss In Boots also got an update, with a new background and 3 new blades!

Finally, I'll be down in Melbourne over the weekend. We've been doing a giant Fruit Ninja promotion across Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne:

IMG_0343_v2-465x620.jpg

DSC_8553_v2-620x410.jpg

Sydney is on today down at Darling Harbour, while Melbourne is on Saturday May 26th, Federation Square 10am – 7pm. I'll be hanging down there and around the place that night, so if anyone's in the area come say hi :)

Kirby102

are you not reading my posts?

DSE does not order games anymore period. Thats why they had the mega sale. Woolworths is also selling DSE so are stripping it

also

EB North Syd price match JB Artarmon.

Do that, cheap mario
Yeah I noticed, just forgot to mention it.... D:

I bought it already at EB and they pricematched JB at Artarmon... so $59, not bad, $4 more than the cheapest store (Target)

Yagharek

i so thought you were being so totally fucking sarcastic about wii u but i guess not. You really are amped for it?

I thought I made it clear, sorry. I wasnt being sarcastic then, just measured.

I'm not hyped for it. I'm getting one, but I'm not hyped because that leads to disappointment inevitably. The practical side of things is why I'm getting one.
a) I have more Wii games than ps3/360
b) The ps3 stays since its a bluray/iview player
c) the 360 goes because I cant justify keeping it compared to the other systems and I dont have room/time/space for yet another.

Choc

Banned
JACOB SAULWICK Car registration stickers are being abolished by the NSW government to save time

The initiative means that from January 1 car owners will no longer have to attach the sticky registration labels to their windscreens.

Instead, police will verify if cars are registered or not by checking number plates with computers.

But a recent survey by the car insurer, RAC, found the majority of Western Australians wanted the stickers reintroduced to remind them to renew their car registration.

uh, you get a letter? far out people are useless sometimes

One in five respondents to the RAC survey said they had forgotten to re-register their cars since stickers were scrapped.

ahahah internet comments

In South Australia you can pay for your registration through a phone app, which then allows you to set a reminder to pay the registration the following year. It at least adds another reminder, which is handy.

Commenterkeen Location Adelaide Date and time May 24, 2012, 01:46PM

I have an old phone that works well for me - calls and txt messages. No internet or anything else. So no phone app woill work for me.
Also even if you did have a phone app, if you are overseas trekking say Kokoda you will not have access
CommenterMoon Goddess Location Coffs Harbour Date and time May 24, 2012, 02:19PM

You wouldn't be able to see the sticker on your windscreen either....
CommenterHa Location Date and time May 24, 2012, 03:32PM

Whew! It's been a gut wrenching few weeks, but we've finally released big updates for all our iPhone games at once!
Good job! How about Android or iPad? Are the updates for all? I notice there was a Jetpack HD update recently for iPad.

Anything new in the pipeline? The world needs a new take on breakout, I think.

Sydney is on today down at Darling Harbour, while Melbourne is on Saturday May 26th, Federation Square 10am – 7pm. I'll be hanging down there and around the place that night, so if anyone's in the area come say hi :)
Aww, I'll be otherwise engaged.

One in five respondents to the RAC survey said they had forgotten to re-register their cars since stickers were scrapped.
I 'forgot' to re-register the wife's car this year (actually, I thought I'd paid but must have forgotten to click the last confirm on the banking site). Been driving around unregistered for the last few weeks and didn't even realise it!

Yagharek

Whats wrong with rego stickers >_> makes it easier for police and for you...

Ive still got my 2009 rego sticker on my car (WA) as a constant reminder of the month the renewal is due. Still get a letter in the mail, but its nice to know when to expect it.

I have to say one thing good about WA - changing details/updating etc via state govt website is organised really well. Light years ahead of victoria.

Only problem is interstate transfers. Some sandgropers think Tassie is another country altogether.

Ha, sister in law is on the phone right now, got pulled over by a cop and realised she had been driving around with an out of date drivers licence for the past month!

They have lived in the same house for years too, no reminder!

Choc

Banned
is NSW the only state that sends out letters for regos and licence or something?

edit: protip

try and make your car rego end of fin year like mine

you dont forget it then

Yagharek

Ha, sister in law is on the phone right now, got pulled over by a cop and realised she had been driving around with an out of date drivers licence for the past month!

They have lived in the same house for years too, no reminder!

Victorian? They are notorious for this. Worst organised state Ive lived in (which includes Tas, Vic, WA, NSW, NT).

She even got a fine which is a bit shitty , should just make her pay and backdate it.

I drover around without remembering to put the new rego stick on the car since March, put it on today!

Strange timing Choc. Almost creepily...

Alright, no interest was expressed yesterday and thats fine. I'm going to be trading in my 360 next week given that I dont really have time for, room for, or interest in it any longer.

Deadly Premonition is Shaneus' dibs.
Halo Reach collectors edition up for grabs.
CoD MW3 is up for grabs.
Left 4 Dead 2 (UK uncensored edn) is too.

I have a copy of Deus Ex HR for 360 as well which is minus a case and will probably go into the AusGAF pool of games to share around.

All games have until June 6 to be claimed or else they get traded in too, except for Deus Ex.

I'll dibs CoD I guess. I don't think I've played one since MW1. Unless someone else is desperate for it.

look what you voted in QLD

538903-john-paul-langbroek.jpg

what a dickhead

Fuck my life. In our minor defence when JPL was in charge the LNP was a laughing stock. Yeah, that's not much is it?

Yagharek

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38154311&postcount=90

I'm proud of this post of mine. Its just a list, but it captures what I feel about gaming in general and why I do.

I love this post and the attitude behind it, even though I havent experienced all those things I guess.

Mine, limited to about a dozen of each:

Highs
- Finishing Final Fight on 1 credit on the Amiga 500 version with my brother
- Amiga again, defeating Super Nashwan in the final league game by something like 11 points to 9. A true epic finale that puts the Mighty Ducks to shame.
- Spending rainy days playing through Animal Crossing on gamecube for fishing tournies and general errands.
- Making an effort to go back and play to completion the classic games I have never before finished. In the last two years this includes Half Life 2 + eps, Resident Evil 4, Ocarina of Time for starters.
- The new creative games this gen and last, like Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, Portal, World of Goo
- Project Gotham Racing 2 and Rainbow Six 3 on xbox live taking up hundreds of hours without ever touching single player modes
- Playing Golden Axe and Streets of Rage 2 at mates' places. The music and the simplicity of those games will never ever get old.
- Pulling off King's throw combo ending in the giant swing for the first time in Tekken 2
- Bunker. Proximity mines. 3 other people.
- Finally getting a PAL copy of Chrono Trigger on DS, playing through it and finding out what exactly I had missed out on all those years.

Lows
- When Dreamcast failed to ship on time in Australia in November 1999. Was three months til I had one.
- 360 failure, though not due to RROD strangely. Some GPU fry issue.
- PS3 going missing in the post for a fortnight when sent in for repair.
- The complete disillusionment in blockbuster games brought on by Halo 3 being poo.
- Realising a few years too late that selling an Amiga 500 was not a good idea.
- Cracking the shits with the XBL community I played with, mainly because it became splintered thanks to too many games of the same genre coming out.
- Dealing with my XBox Live addiction and getting over mild depression at the same time (not related)
- The gradual realisation of how corrupt and insular this industry is, and how much contempt it has for consumers. This is ongoing.
- Every Sonic game since 1999.
- Hearing about the cancellation of all game development by Oddworld Inhabitants sometime shortly after Stranger's Wrath

~~~

I think in general, I'm most happy with classic type games which is why I tend to get a lot out of things like retro VC games and new games with that kind of ethos. This morning I went on a youtube memory lane type wander, looking up soundtracks to old classic Amiga games like Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 and Speedball 2. I will never reconcile myself with this industry's incessant push towards discarding the old to make way for newer, clinical and generally soulless experiences.

Choc

Banned
I doubt anything will come of this. Nothing shady was done, it's just how the ipo process works. Though it's clear there needs to be tighter regulations.

telling institutional investors their Q2 is lower than expected and not telling retail investors?

um

thats as shady as it gets

edit: Vook they didn't order Starhawk or Resistance Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom