• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
In the event that happens, most of the buying audience tends to go "lol kiddy" and doesnt buy it, instead going for the latest game with faux maturity like bioware games.
Bioware games aren't a good example in this case, they're nowhere near the end of the immaturity spectrum like the new Hitman.

Yagharek

True, but their scenarios arent at the mature end of the scale like Foundation, as some would like to claim. I mean, shit - jessica chobot is in it ffs.

Fredescu

That's not really a prevailing viewpoint. Even the people that like them would describe the Mass Effect series as a space opera. If the less mature games could be as mature as Bioware games, we'd be in a better place.

Yagharek

I dunno, I just find the whole space saviour theme a little too juvenile and indulgent. Not immature like a lot of big dumb explosion games, but lazy from a narrative point of view. There is no middle ground it would seem, and no room for failure or growth since they already made it damn clear that you were playing as another boring "chosen one" character.

Fredescu

Yeah, I wasn't calling them good writers. They can write some interesting characters though, and their dialog has a way of keeping you involved and interested where lesser games have you clicking next next next to get on with the combat. To me, having writing elements that you don't just glaze over to get on with the combat puts them above 90% of other games already.

Comparing them with literature is pretty unfair though, especially as you started out comparing them to kiddy games. There aren't many games that can stand up to that comparison, and why should they. I don't think it's fair to put a video game plot down on paper and say, "see? terrible!" when the plot is 5% of the game experience, even for an RPG.

Yagharek

Yeah, I wasn't calling them good writers. They can write some interesting characters though, and their dialog has a way of keeping you involved and interested where lesser games have you clicking next next next to get on with the combat. To me, having writing elements that you don't just glaze over to get on with the combat puts them above 90% of other games already.

Comparing them with literature is pretty unfair though, especially as you started out comparing them to kiddy games. There aren't many games that can stand up to that comparison, and why should they. I don't think it's fair to put a video game plot down on paper and say, "see? terrible!" when the plot is 5% of the game experience, even for an RPG.

I guess so.

One thing that does irk me though is that a game can start out with a unique or particularly dastardly premise (eg Halo, with giant rings threatening genocide across a galaxy but only as part of an elaborate scorched earth policy due to a nastier threat). What happens across a series, typically, is that all that great scenario work is thrown out the window courtesy of bad writing, bad character story arcs and way too much needless exposition.

If you want to look at what I might consider as good story in a game, then something like Prey or Portal might be better. In those games, story is as much told by agents within it, and the game world itself. In the case of Prey, the main character is another vehicle for exposition. Nothing revolutionary, but the games don't step outside the boundaries of what they can do justice to. By contrast, when Halo became an unsubtle allegory for religious fundamentalism, it lost a lot of what made it good in the first place - a mystique based in the architecture of the game world.

Ordered one a couple of weeks ago. Don't expect to see it before Aug/Sep... :/

Considering tooling round with Arduinos in the meantime (not that they're really the same thing).

Dead Man

Aussie brew beats Germans at their own game

Brennan and Peta Fielding are raising their glasses after being recognised as the finest purveyors of south-German style beer in the world.

The Gold Coast couple claimed the title at this year's Brewers Association Beer World Cup in the United States.

Mr Fielding, the director of brewing operations, says the German media was astounded when they won the gong.

"Right after my wife and I walked off the stage after receiving the plaque, German TV was there in our face saying 'What have you done? Why have you taken the medal away from Germany?'," he said.

"I just had to explain how much I like the style, and how much respect I have for the style."

Mr Brennan says the winning brew - Burleigh Hef - is a combination of "recipes, ingredients, technique, times, oxygen levels, cell count levels".

"It was an amazing thing to put together," he said.

The award is a huge boost for the couple, who have only been operating the Burleigh Brewing Company since 2006.

Not bad for 6 years work.

Yeah I think the law has actually been either relaxed or is gone altogether. I wonder what the German craft/experimental beer scene is like... if there is one.

OL1Vx.gif

:lol:

It begins

What's the name of this game? Been so long.

Today is my birthday!

I have to go to work, but after, my wife and I are headed to an exhibition about Egyptian mummies at the science centre and dinner at our favourite Turkish restaurant. The only way that could possibly be better would be if the exhibition were about mummies and dinosaurs.

Ohhhh yeeeeeeaaaahhhh!

Bernbaum

Today is my birthday!

I have to go to work, but after, my wife and I are headed to an exhibition about Egyptian mummies at the science centre and dinner at our favourite Turkish restaurant. The only way that could possibly be better would be if the exhibition were about mummies and dinosaurs.

Ohhhh yeeeeeeaaaahhhh!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VKS!

2e9Sg.gif

senahorse

First day of power generation for our solar power system yesterday. It was a miserable overcast and rainy day in Brisbane yesterday but we still managed to generate 6kW :D. The downside is, to fit the isolator in our meter box they had to remove one of our meters. So until Energex turn up and install a smart meter for us all our T33 power is going through T11 (hot water, pool pump) :/

what games do you consider mature guys, lets open this discussion
Max Payne 2.
Not Max Payne 3 (fun though!)
The Witcher (especially the further you get into it)
The Witcher 2
Final Fantasy VII
and others

I mean mature as its approach to storytelling, rather than the content of its story. As opposed to 'tits and blood are totally mature'.

But I'm only into the second act on The Witcher and haven't played the second at all.
It gets better and better the more you get into it. Racism, etc.

Max Payne 3 eeeehhhhhhhh so far.

The writing is contemptibly bad. Moralising drivel.
The writing is pretty spotty but pretty great overall aside from the shitty arc they tried to give Max, which was terribly plotted and written. The overall story and the dialogue outside of where they have quickly tried to give it some hallmarks of the previous titles is overall great.

Also gameplay is great! Just have to get used to using cover too. Shootdodge is useless for the most part. The second quarter of the game is really poor, repetitive design and it just trudges along, worse than Mexico in RDR. The second last level though is AMAZING fun (in a hotel).

The most mature game I played this year in all honesty was probably Katawa Shoujo.
A few Youtubes put me off playing to be honest.

Does anyone else not under stand why the pokies are always in the news? Ffs, its about as important as a kardasian hating indian food.
You are right, why care about something like this. Pokies are cool! They don't hurt anyone any more than our obsession with celebrity opinions. Everyone stop complaining about the poor pokie companies, let them make their profits in peace!

Serious and mature themes are hard to explore via game medium, that's all I know.
Games where the gameplay is directly connected with the narrative can be, but that's about it. Dialog trees and branching paths based on decisions and that sort of thing. You're right that games are more about playing with game mechanics and a lot of the time maturity or not is just the window dressing.
You guys are cool and I like your opinions.

One thing that does irk me though is that a game can start out with a unique or particularly dastardly premise then what happens across a series, typically, is that all that great scenario work is thrown out the window courtesy of bad writing, bad character story arcs and way too much needless exposition.
Good idea becomes a detriment to the developers as now they need to make 3 sequels and a spinoff. The issue is there are two sides to the creative development; gameplay mechanics and story delivery. A lot of the time they are at odds with each other and it is a balancing act to fit in story related stuff that is still fun to play and won't break the backs of the developers to include.

Happy birthday, VKS! Have a great trip, Legend! Don't forget to visit Shake Shack (Madison Square Park) and Billy's Bakery (somewhere in Chelsea).

No one's actually posted it for a while.
PBF032-Todays_My_Birthday.gif

Edit: Uhh, happy birthday untold... and anyone else recently that's been missed!

Choc

Banned
Today is my birthday!

Ohhhh yeeeeeeaaaahhhh!

is that restaurant at SouthBank? because i have been there and it is the shit!

edit: FF7 really? because of Aerith?

edit: also lulz

Many Coalition MPs publicly predict doom for mining industry because of tax, yet about a third made mining investments in past two years

F25t1.png

Indie Royale bundle comes with 3 copies of The Ship so if anyone pays the $5ish you can keep gifting and gifting copies to everyone!

You like beer? A decent beer is Hahn Harvest. It is okay. You can get it for $9 a 6 pack at Safeway at the moment with this coupon! $5 off at Safeway/Dan's/BWS.

Humble Indie Bundle 5!
Pay at least a dollar to get Steam Keys! Don't be like this fucker! Knowing is half the battle!

Amnesia The Dark Descent! FPScare the fuck out of you! $20!
Psychonauts! Adventure Platformer Tim Schafer! $10!
Limbo! Stylish flash game! $10!
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP! Concept adventure game masterpiece! $8!

Beat the average price ($8ish) for...
Bastion! Lite isometric RPG narration! $15!

In the past they have also down the track given extra games or older bundles to people who beat the average price!

ALSO THEY ALL COME WITH THE MOTHER TRUCKING SOUNDTRACKS! Worth it for the Bastion soundtrack alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom