• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
now compare it to their other phone deals on high end phones

its still higher by quite a bit.

i got my rather high end phone at the time for $49 a month inc 1gig data from telstra

the phone was @ teh time worth the same amount as the GS3 outright

:|

Jintor

I don't know if this is an oft-repeated assertion or not, but it seems the more mature games get the more immature games get.

So, AusGAF, I'm a huge sushi nut. For those of you living in Melbourne, which sushi place would you really recommend?
Shira Nui in Glen Waverley and Jamon Sushi in South Yarra are reportedly very good (I haven't been to either, despite Shira Nui being very close to me). Izakaya Chuji near Russell and Lonsdale streets is a pretty cool little Japanese bar/izakaya den, but not really sushi... wait, I'm thinking Nihonshu, not Chuji... I haven't been there...

Fredescu

now compare it to their other phone deals on high end phones

its still higher by quite a bit.
The Galaxy S3 is almost the same. The only difference is they don't give you an option to go way low on data, which is the responsible thing since they have the faster network. Why sell a customer on your dual channel 3g or the LTE network and then have them call and complain when they bust their cap and get a bunch of extra charges on their bill?

i got my rather high end phone at the time for $49 a month inc 1gig data from telstra

the phone was @ teh time worth the same amount as the GS3 outright

:|
I got my phone at the same time for the same price but that was when they had a deal for half price data packs. It wasn't regular pricing.

Choc

Banned
The Galaxy S3 is almost the same. The only difference is they don't give you an option to go way low on data, which is the responsible thing since they have the faster network. Why sell a customer on your dual channel 3g or the LTE network and then have them call and complain when they bust their cap and get a bunch of extra charges on their bill?

I got my phone at the same time for the same price but that was when they had a deal for half price data packs. It wasn't regular pricing.

i somewhat agree fred. Although telstra doesn't charge for busted caps now, it shapes

One MAJOR reason i will stick with them

edit: what fred? the sex scenes in the witcher imo are completely in context for the game.

The Witcher does not seem any more mature to me than any other. The collectible sex cards make it seem less mature than me. Note that I haven't played 2 yet.

Any game that claims it's "mature!" probably isn't. For all its other faults, Limbo was more mature than that.

Kritz

Banned
Has a date for BrisGAF been set yet? I'm now fully available on the nights of the 2nd through 4th, which were the ones that coincided with Kritz. Was one of those set in stone? Is there any interest in doing board games on the Sunday beforehand?

I can't do the 2nd because I arrive at 10pm.

3rd and 4th will be okay, though. Probably. And then some random dates after the 5th might be okay for a second meetup (or a first if the first falls through?)

Dead Man

what games do you consider mature guys, lets open this discussion

Genuinely? None in their entirety. Parts of some games. Witcher 2, RDR, ummm... very few games have things my 15 year old self would not have understood or appreciated in depth.

Edit: Shit, forgot Carmageddon.

Kritz

Banned
Witcher 2, easily. Also the first Witcher. The STALKER games are kind of that by accident. I wouldn't call Journey mature as much as I'd just call it a really, really good non-violent game. Which, for video games, is about as mature as it gets anyway.

And Shitty The Wizard is, of course, the most mature of them all. Because you can vomit on goblins and drink their beer.

The attempts at being morally grey makes it more mature than most games that involve decision making of that kind.
I mean mature as its approach to storytelling, rather than the content of its story. As opposed to 'tits and blood are totally mature'.

But I'm only into the second act on The Witcher and haven't played the second at all.

Choc

Banned
Heavy Rain is borderline

that scene where the kid is
screaming for his dad as his brother drowns is fuckin heart wrenching

Choc

Banned
just found this, more please IGN (or whoever)

fsgWt.jpg

I've nearly made it AusGAF, after 5 years of deadlines, essays and pretty good holidays, I'm nearly at the end of my University course. This internship can be incredibly stressful but I'm nearly there...

Now the worry about finding work is starting to creep up, how did Uni GAF fair in terms of finding work after study? Was it a challenging experience after so many years of study? Any advice?

Yagharek

I don't know if this is an oft-repeated assertion or not, but it seems the more mature games get the more immature games get.

Definitely oft-repeated.

In terms of stories in general, an example of what the market sees as mature and what actually is are often completely different.

Case in point: fairy tales like Hansel and Gretel or Alice in Wonderland. These are seen as immature kids fare, but really have far greater depth than many give them credit for. Conversely, films such as the Saw films are intensely juvenile.

Same goes for games. Pretty much a rule is that if someone calls a game "kiddy" there's a 90% chance its more mature than whatever they offer as an example of mature gaming.

Heavy Rain is borderline

that scene where the kid is
screaming for his dad as his brother drowns is fuckin heart wrenching

Pffft, I teared up more at the end of Skyward Sword when
Fi said bye

I've nearly made it AusGAF, after 5 years of deadlines, essays and pretty good holidays, I'm nearly at the end of my University course. This internship can be incredibly stressful but I'm nearly there...

Now the worry about finding work is starting to creep up, how did Uni GAF fair in terms of finding work after study? Was it a challenging experience after so many years of study? Any advice?

What field did you study in?

It isn't as mentally stimulating as study. You'll spend 80% of your days finding, chasing up and generally fetching information. This is punctuated by progress and planning meetings. The other. 20% of the time you'll be doing the actual work you studied, but it won't be nearly as complicated as what you studied.

The good news is that it pays better.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Does anyone else not under stand why the pokies are always in the news? Ffs, its about as important as a kardasian hating indian food.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Don't tell me I have a kidney stone choc! No major pain but a dull ache, not too sure where it's coming from. I'm thinking stomach but that's not really an exact answer.

This is fun.

Omikron

yes genuinely
omi dont be a cock :p
Ok, being serious.

I am not sure games lend themselves well to serious and or nature themes that well. Largely people play games as fun, escapism maybe. To enjoy and gave fun with the world or game mechanic. Whatever.

Serious games tend to not be fun in the traditional sense. And are too long and overstay their welcome to the point of disappearing up their own arse.

That isn't a hard and fast rule, but it is certainly true a huge percentage of the time IMO. What can be done about it? No idea. Serious and mature themes are hard to explore via game medium, that's all I know.

Jintor

I'm not sure the answer is to make more 'serious games' or to go towards 'games as art' or some crazy stance like that. I think the answer is to shape the immaturity in such a way that it no longer is offensive or stupid or degrading or whatever.

Danoss

And are too long and overstay their welcome to the point of disappearing up their own arse.

I cracked up at this sentence. I know it's not meant to funny, but I laughed far too hard at it. I've been pretty punchy lately, I have no idea why.

Fredescu

Omi said:
I am not sure games lend themselves well to serious and or nature themes that well.
Games where the gameplay is directly connected with the narrative can be, but that's about it. Dialog trees and branching paths based on decisions and that sort of thing. You're right that games are more about playing with game mechanics and a lot of the time maturity or not is just the window dressing.

1BcdT.gif

Theoretically, choices and their consequences should be themes that lend themselves well to be explored by the gaming medium in some depth.

In practice, this is hard to do and the ability to beat up hookers to get your money back sells better, so nobody bothers.

Yagharek

I'm not sure the answer is to make more 'serious games' or to go towards 'games as art' or some crazy stance like that. I think the answer is to shape the immaturity in such a way that it no longer is offensive or stupid or degrading or whatever.

In the event that happens, most of the buying audience tends to go "lol kiddy" and doesnt buy it, instead going for the latest game with faux maturity like bioware games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom