• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miiverse designed to help people that run headlong into enemies.

"What do I do??? Every time I run into him I die! Help, Miiverse!"

Thank you, Nintendo!

Omikron

I kinda like the idea of the social integration. Has massive potential.

Also. Does this whole thing seem like Nintendo wanted to get out there that they listened completely to the Wii's detractions?

markot

Banned
Am I the only one that doesn't watch conferences and just likes to get the news afterwards? Conferences are always so awkward.

Dead Man

Wow how did you find that? I remember making it. Well none of that from me this year since i have to work i wont be up that early in the morning.

I have a memory like an elephant... or something.

Edit: So Nintendo is announcing things in a conference that is before its conference to announce things?

lol NeoGAF.

Epic bought Big Huge Games. BEST NEWS EVA!

That new controller. I want one.

Damn you Nintendo.

Looks like a dead on replication of the 360 controller form which is fantastic! Best controller ever and services every age group. The sticks above the buttons though is a bad choice, will have to wait and see how it feels. Dpad looks a bit worrying too.

They did the right thing though, hopefully it is a pack in otherwise 3rd parties may worry about take up.

Also great idea to announce all this and then leave the conference for showing it in action with some games. Best way to make the most of it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Nintendo is just showing off the Wii U and the basic idea behind it along with what it can do.

I didn't mind the 30 minute presentation. The typical white guy was fucking idiotic and just embarrassing but that sorta shit is what E3 is about.

The only thing I dislike is the bubble comments while you're in game, dying, on the screen for the mario map etc.

Everything else looked solid and well thought out. The MiiVerse seems interesting although probably pointless at the end of the day. Nintendo reinventing twitter is a good idea for friends lists.

It's still a shame it's probably going to be a weak console compared to next years offerings from sony and MS. If it had been more powerful and gotten mad support from 3rd parties, I couldn't see the point in owning a PS4 or 720 unless you wanted specific exclusives.

Now we wait for the games and how they look. Then the comparison shots to current gen consoles along with gifs and outrage. Dis E3 gunna be good.

The only thing I dislike is the bubble comments while you're in game, dying, on the screen for the mario map etc.
Yeah I already turn that bullshit off on current games (like Twitter and Facebook integration) so that was a huge turn off for me.
I know other people will lap it up, Zynga style stuff, but that isn't what I am looking for in my games. I want to be immersed in the game, not reminded that it is just another licensed copy of a game that some other people are playing copies of too.

senahorse

Well, all in all it seems Ninty is headed in the right direction in regards to online. I am more excited about getting my Nintendo game box later this year :)

Choc

Banned
tired

=(

Vita resistance didn't last long. Tried to sleep failed.

Buzz around Nintendo is HUGE right now, overheard a lot of people talking about it in the terminal

Basically feeling is Nintendo have just royally fucked sony and microsoft by going early and going direct to consumer rather then conf

conf wil ljust be games games games for ninty now, should be good.

Choc

Banned
perfect

r4atb.gif

time for food

Jintor

Very impressive direct. Actually really hyped for E3 this year now.

Also, lolz at Nintendo philosophy. Scary but cool at the same time.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Nintendo wins E3 before E3 even starts. A new record.

Expect MS/Sony to copy next year?

I think it was a nice introduction and it stops them crapping on about the philosophy and other shit for 30 minutes. That way they can simply demo the machine, show off games, talk about the hardware along with getting our bodys ready for it's release later this year.

I now don't expect any megatons from Nintendo at E3. Unless they have some super secret exclusive 3rd party stuff to announce.

Yagharek

lol NeoGAF.

Epic bought Big Huge Games. BEST NEWS EVA!

Looks like a dead on replication of the 360 controller form which is fantastic! Best controller ever and services every age group. The sticks above the buttons though is a bad choice, will have to wait and see how it feels. Dpad looks a bit worrying too.

They did the right thing though, hopefully it is a pack in otherwise 3rd parties may worry about take up.

Also great idea to announce all this and then leave the conference for showing it in action with some games. Best way to make the most of it.

Best pad ever is the GC pad, so fingers crossed the pro controller has a good dpad and we can forget all about the abomination that is stuck on the 360 controller. Ruins an otherwise decent control pad.

Symmetric analog sticks is interesting and unexpected though. Might be an ergonomic decision.

Because it looks actually usable and decent. 360 dpad is poo, so its one less function you need to use. A working dpad just complicates things.

Symmetric analog sticks is interesting and unexpected though. Might be an ergonomic decision.
Could be worse, they could be in the same place as the ones on the Dual Shock.

I think the in-game messaging system on Wii U is going to be all sorts of horrible, if you can't control who the messages are from. However, seeing things like others' achievements/high scores/best times on each level, sort of like Burnout Paradise, on any game seems worthwhile to me.

Just waiting for Microsoft to allow people to bet their Gamerscore against each other on multiplayer games/challenges.

Rezbit

Yeah not sure about button placement on the pad, otherwise good move mostly copying form factor of the 360 pad. Also, the Wii U pad looks pretty huge. Seems to have gotten bigger than the prototype with the space around the screen.

is Choc the only one at E3 this year?

I have a tip. Get there first thing on Day 1 of the show and after lining up and going through security, head DIRECTLY to the Nintendo booth to have a hands-on play with the Wii U. I'm going to predict really, REALLY long, multi-hour queues for that based on what happened in 2006 with the Wii.

hamchan

Copying the 360 controller is an extremely good move. It's pretty much the bests controller ever besides the crappy D-pad. The buttons being swapped with the stick is weird and seems like they just did it to be different.

Yagharek

I dont get the hate for dualshock. OK, the analog sticks are too loose, but ergonomically its fine. Dpad ruins fingers (or it did mine when learning tekken throw combos back in 96). I like a symmetric controller, but I also like good resistance in the sticks like GC controller. Which also has superior shape to hold too.

I can see the abxy placement might be a bit weird, but given my fingers already rest in a comfy spot over the face buttons, it makes some kind of sense to me at least. Maybe it might even make a good pad for southpaw gamers given it is a L-R mirror image?

Anyway, like all controllers it doesnt matter until you hold it and find out yourself what its like.

Copying the 360 controller is an extremely good move. It's pretty much the bests controller ever besides the crappy D-pad. The buttons being swapped with the stick is weird and seems like they just did it to be different.

I can see one other problem:

Wii U: clockwise from top goes xaby
360 goes ybax

I think that will confuse a few people with games that have colour prompts on screen. Imagine if the Wii U controller returned to the old SNES colour mapping too. CoD would be competitive for a change.

Fredescu

I don't "hate" the dual shock, it's usable, but the 360 controller is so much better ergonomically. I don't think the lower button placement will do the Wii U pad any favours, but I can't see myself using it all that much anyway. I barely used the CC Pro.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The dual shock 3 is the most uncomfortable controller of the current generation. It's an ergonomic nightmare as far as I'm concerned. Both Microsoft and Nintendo produced controllers that melt to your hands. Sony made a lump of plastic with analogue sticks.

I do like their sticks though. Not where they're positioned, but the size and motion.

hamchan

I didn't watch the Nintendo direct thing. I only know about the controller. Were there any megatons at all or were they just getting the boring crap out of the way so the conference will actually be good this year?

Rezbit

Just watched that zombie sketch from the Nintendo Direct thing. So hilariously cringe worthy. Would be impressed if all those features were ACTUALLY incorporated into a game however.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I didn't watch the Nintendo direct thing. I only know about the controller. Were there any megatons at all or were they just getting the boring crap out of the way so the conference will actually be good this year?

Built in tv remote functionality, curtains you can put up on the tv so you can browse to a video then surprise open the curtains for your friends!

Oh and an iOS app.

Choc

Banned
is Choc the only one at E3 this year?

I have a tip. Get there first thing on Day 1 of the show and after lining up and going through security, head DIRECTLY to the Nintendo booth to have a hands-on play with the Wii U. I'm going to predict really, REALLY long, multi-hour queues for that based on what happened in 2006 with the Wii.

with a Sony badge that might be hardish day 1 ;)

I dont get the hate for dualshock. OK, the analog sticks are too loose, but ergonomically its fine. Dpad ruins fingers (or it did mine when learning tekken throw combos back in 96). I like a symmetric controller, but I also like good resistance in the sticks like GC controller. Which also has superior shape to hold too.

I can see the abxy placement might be a bit weird, but given my fingers already rest in a comfy spot over the face buttons, it makes some kind of sense to me at least. Maybe it might even make a good pad for southpaw gamers given it is a L-R mirror image?

Anyway, like all controllers it doesnt matter until you hold it and find out yourself what its like.

I can see one other problem:

Wii U: clockwise from top goes xaby
360 goes ybax

I think that will confuse a few people with games that have colour prompts on screen. Imagine if the Wii U controller returned to the old SNES colour mapping too. CoD would be competitive for a change.

Maybe I just have weirdly big hands, but I always feel like I'm daintily gripping the Dual Shock while the 360 controller fits into my hand better. That's pretty much my only point of difference though. Generally they are both good controllers.

And with the button layout, isn't that the same as the layout in the Nintendo-Sega days? I could be wrong but I thought the Xbox just copied the old Sega layouts?

markot

Banned
They want to concentrate on games at e3 and get a good buzzzz going.

Maybe they will win by so much that Sony and Microsoft will not come back again like they did after the wii year >.>

Yagharek

Maybe I just have weirdly big hands, but I always feel like I'm daintily gripping the Dual Shock while the 360 controller fits into my hand better. That's pretty much my only point of difference though. Generally they are both good controllers.

And with the button layout, isn't that the same as the layout in the Nintendo-Sega days? I could be wrong but I thought the Xbox just copied the old Sega layouts?

The button layout (order of abxy) is different. See these two photos:

SNES had and Wii CC had the same layout too as the Wii U Pro. GC did too except for the odd shaped buttons.

For my money, the comfiest controller is still the wavebird. Dualshocks are fine but it always takes me a small adjustment time going from 360 to ps3 and back again. Neither are bad controllers (except for dpads and analog stick durability) though.

Because it looks actually usable and decent. 360 dpad is poo, so its one less function you need to use. A working dpad just complicates things.
The WiiU dpad just looks a little too recessed for my hands. Won't be able to tell until I get hands on impressions as I said. Just going by the released PR material it is something for me to look at in the future. The stick position is more of a worry.

I dont get the hate for dualshock.
I'm a big fan, I just ran through Max Payne 3 with it and had a blast. Only issue is I'm not as great with the sticks as the 360 one. Also I don't like the triggers, 360 ones are much better for my hands and accuracy. It has a worthwhile Dpad compared to the 360 too! I like the placement of the sticks on both controllers though, the main thing is having the aiming stick down the bottom as it is easier for me to bring my thumb UP to the buttons rather than going down to the buttons.

Yagharek

The dpad itself though is fine - its not a new design. Ignore its position (for now since its an unknown til you hold it). It's basically the same dpad as the wii classic controller/ccpro have. Which is leagues better than the 360/ps3 dpads. My assumption that the Wii u pro dpad is superior is based purely on this.

Obviously hands on time will make it clear or not, and as you say - positioning and the overall shape of the controller will have an impact.

Saturn dpad is still undefeated though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom