• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

I second The Code Book wholeheartedly. Amazingly well written, and it's kind of like a detective story in the way its told in pieces. The bits on the Enigma codebreaking were fantastic.
If you haven't read it I recommend Fermats Last Theorem by the same author, brilliant story about one equation through history.
If someone can explain what this means I would be glad, because I think this is a weasel-worded nonsense sentence that means essentially nothing.

It means kids would be taught that consenting sex between two adults is not immoral, even if they are the same gender.

So basically they don't want anyone challenging their religious dogma when educating their kids.

Still the most depressing book I have read was Nineteen Eighty Four. Incredibly demoralising, and I find it difficult to conceive of a way that such a society could be deconstructed. I think the key to it lies in the warring regions between the three states. A truly fucked up world.

But what if
there was no war between the three countries and Eurasia was bombing itself to create the pretence. There are suggestions in the book that the other countries might not even exist and England is just in a constant state of ignorance.
I fucking love that book. Its so depressing but so good.

This week, priests are going to use their pulpit to rail against same-sex marriage and the protection of the sanctity of traditional marriage, at least partially protected by the thoughtshield of religion.

Check out Peter Jensen's opinion article on same-sex marriage, too. It is, as you might expect, stupidity, utter stupidity. He goes straight ahead and compares 'marriage equality' to bigamy, pedophilia and incest. He exposes his own ignorance on the reality of human rights when he says that use of its language in the argument for gay marriage 'cheapens the discourse' of 'genuine' human rights issues. What? I don't understand. What's wrong with this man?

What a tool. How does gay marriage affect his life? If people love each other let them get married. Some people's complaints against gay marriage really seem to just be them expressing their own homophobia.

This is a cracking game of rugby. Wales and Australia are really evenly matched. And the Irish almost put one over on the kiwis. That would been a great upset.

Jintor

It means kids would be taught that consenting sex between two adults is not immoral, even if they are the same gender.

So basically they don't want anyone challenging their religious dogma when educating their kids.

So basically he's gone 'gay sex is bad' without really bothering to justify his stance at all.

Yagharek

If you haven't read it I recommend Fermats Last Theorem by the same author, brilliant story about one equation through history.

He wrote that too? I was studying maths/science back when it came out but missed it I guess. Shame on me.

Also, whilst we are recommending science books, allow me to nominate two:

Lee Smolin: The Trouble With Physics.

It's a strong argument against string theory, as ST posits absolutely nothing measurable, and has repeatedly been disproven by observations of things like distant supernovae. Really good example of how science can be sidetracked my mathematical curiosities.

Secondly is this one:
When Life Nearly Died.

51z%2BT8NFMqL._SS500_.jpg

Linky

There have been five big mass extinctions in the history of the Earth. One 65 million years ago wiped out the dinosaurs, but the greatest of all happened around 251 million years ago, at the end of the Permian period. In this cataclysm at least 90 per cent of life was killed, both on land and in the sea, almost bringing evolution to a halt. What caused destruction on such an unimaginable scale? Was the impact of a huge meteorite, or prolonged volcanic eruption in Siberia? The evidence is assembled and Michael Benton gives his verdict. "When Life Nearly Died" does more than document this catastrophic event - it is also a history of developing ideas, explaining how we know what we know about geology and palaeontology, and laying bare the arguments and egos of scientists. Benton shows that this is not an arcane story of interest only to the scientific community - the implications of this mass extinction millions of years ago for the present-day biodiversity crisis are very relevant, so that the past can truly be a guide to the present and future life on Earth.

The Permian Extinction Event. Amazing read that tells the story of how this event was uncovered, characterised and what it took to cause the biggest extinction event on record.

Omikron

Those books linked by Deadman look super interesting. Shall look them up.

This was super interesting when I read it quite a few years ago after seeing the TV series.

200px-TheElegantUniverse.jpg

Bit of a brain burner mind you.

Dead Man

He wrote that too? I was studying maths/science back when it came out but missed it I guess. Shame on me.

Also, whilst we are recommending science books, allow me to nominate two:

Lee Smolin: The Trouble With Physics.

It's a strong argument against string theory, as ST posits absolutely nothing measurable, and has repeatedly been disproven by observations of things like distant supernovae. Really good example of how science can be sidetracked my mathematical curiosities.

Secondly is this one:
When Life Nearly Died.

51z%2BT8NFMqL._SS500_.jpg

Linky

The Permian Extinction Event. Amazing read that tells the story of how this event was uncovered, characterised and what it took to cause the biggest extinction event on record. Not sure if my brain can handle the details of string theory, I had enough trouble understanding the basic concept in laymans terms!

I've been fascinated by the Permian extinction for a while, I'll have to check that out for sure. As for Fermats Last Theorem, I think for someone with an interest in mathematicvs it mioght be even better than The Code Book. I am no good at maths at all, but I loved it. He does a great job of humanising the history for the proof, and there are some amazing people that have been involved in it.

Those books linked by Deadman look super interesting. Shall look them up.

This was super interesting when I read it quite a few years ago after seeing the TV series.

200px-TheElegantUniverse.jpg

Bit of a brain burner mind you.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that one. His later works left me a bit behind, but Elegant Universe is a great read.

Yagharek

yeah, I did read it perhaps 10 years ago now. :p

that said, isn't string theory coming back into vogue again? at least in alimited form?

Only if 10^407 possible universe models is considered 'limited'.

I think it is still a good primer for cosmology.

Indeed. He is a great voice for cosmology and science in general. But at the same time, a grounding in reality (so to speak) is needed to reinforce how conservative physics needs to be in order to maintain its rigour.

Yagharek

So this week = my discovery of cider week, sparked by ausgaf people posting warm ciders.

None of that.

But now I'm having some of that Rekorderlig, apple & blackcurrant cider. Now with more vitamin c than anything ribeena ever made.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So this week = my discovery of cider week, sparked by ausgaf people posting warm ciders.

None of that.

But now I'm having some of that Rekorderlig, apple & blackcurrant cider. Now with more vitamin c than anything ribeena ever made.

i'm drinking goon out of an empty pasta sauce jar lol

also do victoria knot have fruity lexia?

r1chard

Homemade choc-chip cookies, mmmmMMmmmmMMMmmm!

Girls with baking skills are alright!

The Williams-Sonoma baking book I have has an awesome chocolate chunk and cherries (I usually use craisins) cookie recipe in it that sadly isn't on the Internets as far as I can tell. It's a freaking awesome recipe when made with proper chunks of 65+% cooking chocolate that are offset by the sweetness in the crumbs and craisins. Chewy and melty. Oh yes. I think I must make some tomorrow...

Deeku

The Williams-Sonoma baking book I have has an awesome chocolate chunk and cherries (I usually use craisins) cookie recipe in it that sadly isn't on the Internets as far as I can tell. It's a freaking awesome recipe when made with proper chunks of 65+% cooking chocolate that are offset by the sweetness in the crumbs and craisins. Chewy and melty. Oh yes. I think I must make some tomorrow...
:eek:

And here I am eating plain ol choc chip cookies like a chump!

shanshan310 said:
You've found a girl with cookie baking skills Deek? Never let her go.
lol not really, just a friend is all. But yeah, baking skills is on the checklist!

Jintor

I actually didn't mention this because why not provoke an AusGAF book discussion (god that Idle Thumbs bookcast is going to be godlike when it finally starts up), but I'm actually already reading something I picked up in a 2nd-hand bookshop, Sex, Bombs and Burgers.

m.jpg

Next paycheck I might get a few things off bookdepository... Snuff in paperback, maybe another Discworld novel on top of that, and Guns, Germs and Steel.

HolyCheck

MELBGAF
29th of June

WHAT SAY YE:

5pm onwards. Destination = Beer delux?

YEIGH:
Ho-Check(will get there 6pm plus)
Bananaarnie
shanshan
shaneus
Aonshinskidesu (will get there 5:30plus)
Aniseed
Omi
Jambo
Codswallop

TENTATIVEIGH BARRING ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS OR UNCERTAINTIES
evlcookie: WILL HE, WONT HE?

NEIGH:
fappenmeister: I'm not going to MelGAF i'll be washing my pubic hairs
Ydahs: Busy drinking wine

WHAT SAY YE?
Lafiel?
Ridonkulus?
Megadrive?
Agyar?

AusGAF 2.4748.whatever at Holy's bachelor pad!

we did that already, stupid Bagdad.

Grill'd is definitely the best burger franchise in Australia. They're good, sometimes great. Last time I had a burger from Grill'd it was overcooked so I haven't been for ages. I think their quality may be slipping due to the their expansion.
Anyone ever try burger edge, i personally didnt eat there but my father loved it.

So I'm currently making a flash game prototype since I can't join jambo's GTA4 mp stuff
:(

This is my wish list for the game and hoping people might be able to pitch in some ideas. The general idea is you manage your own airport conglomerate and send planes all over the world and they travel in REAL TIME. That is, if a plane from Australia direct to LA takes 14 hours, it will take 14 hours (barring delays due to weather) to get there.

My prototype, as you can see, is scoped to be Australia only and with that, only the major cities (sans Hobart because I'm lazy and no cartoony, easily recoloured image had Tassie on it).

The end project will be a droid/iOS/browser(maybe) enabled game that you can micromanage for 30 seconds to 2 minutes then walk away from and get a notification awaiting your approval. This prototype is to see if that could possibly be fun, even with exaggerated travel times (for testing purposes).

Any thoughts?
can i micro transact to get there sooner

the wine robot is awesome

the lady stuck in the slide is hillarious

shans shoes are pretty she should get them

melbgaf got big this is exciting

does anyone have a idea for a different venue, its night time so it will be cold and i dont remember the inside being that big but idk i dont really care. beer is still yucky.

3 meet ups in like a week is a good effort too

and i lost my shit at the asians taking photos of food photos. made my week.

Well if Holy's going to post his...

Brisgaf, 3rd of July
There will be Grill'd, there will be schnapps.

Meet at 5:30pm at Central Station around the corner from the ticketing station (on the ATM side, not the news agents / Maccas side). There is a bench there across from the shoe repair / key cutter place that will sit several people comfortably that's hardly ever crowded.

VKS said:
To get to Grill'd from Central Station, you walk out of the south-eastern entrance at the corner of Ann and Creek Streets. If you met where I suggested, you'll be at the correct end anyway. Anyway, once on that corner, walk downhill on Creek Street until you hit the river, at which point, you'll be on Eagle Street.

Cross Eagle Street and turn right. Walk about 100m or so until you hit Grill'd. The Bavarian Beer Cafe will be up the escalators next to Grill'd. People who work in the CBD, like me, can meet the rest of you there.

Transport info here: http://translink.com.au/

head count:
Kritz
Clipper
Shanshan
Salazar
Marsh
Gazunta
VKS + waifu
Rlan (after 6pm)

Maybe:
Fallbackpants
ClivePwned
CrazedProfessional
Bodyboarder

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyone ever try burger edge, i personally didnt eat there but my father loved it.

lol Arnie, catching up eh? :p

There's one at my uni but its kinda expensive so I've never been there. Smells pretty good though.

Oi Sal! Help me try the burger urge at UQ!

HolyCheck

does anyone have a idea for a different venue, its night time so it will be cold and i dont remember the inside being that big but idk i dont really care. beer is still yucky.

in the city amie we're hard pressed to find ANTHING that wont be fucking packed. im only saying beer delux as it has heaps of tables outside. honestly i'd rather fitzroy, but its awkward for some people like shan and shan shan who are on the other side of the city.

in the city amie we're hard pressed to find ANTHING that wont be fucking packed. im only saying beer delux as it has heaps of tables outside. honestly i'd rather fitzroy, but its awkward for some people like shan and shan shan who are on the other side of the city.
Wait is beer delux an actual place name?
Just pick whereever is best and I'll try and work around it.

HolyCheck

Wait is beer delux an actual place name?
Just pick whereever is best and I'll try and work around it.

beer delux is where we met last time, its quite near flinders st station which will be best for you, shaneus i think will need to go to southern cross? but flinders is also good for me , aniseed, banana. anyone else?????

i just know beer delux has A LOT of tables outside so plenty of space hopefully

yeah friday night in the city. id even suggest maybe booking somewhere if there is going to be so many of us.

Decent union game. A little to close for comfort though points wise.

Can we play Wales every week? I could have watched that game over and over. Edge of your seat stuff for the final few minutes. Even though we've won the series Wales are pretty much on par with us.

Well if Holy's going to post his...

Brisgaf, 3rd of July
There will be Grill'd, there will be schnapps.

Meet at 5:30pm at Central Station around the corner from the ticketing station (on the ATM side, not the news agents / Maccas side). There is a bench there across from the shoe repair / key cutter place that will sit several people comfortably that's hardly ever crowded.

Transport info here: http://translink.com.au/

head count:
Kritz
Clipper
Shanshan
Salazar
Marsh
Gazunta
VKS + waifu
Rlan (after 6pm)

Maybe:
Fallbackpants
ClivePwned
CrazedProfessional
Bodyboarder

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

lol Arnie, catching up eh? :p

There's one at my uni but its kinda expensive so I've never been there. Smells pretty good though.

Oi Sal! Help me try the burger urge at UQ!

THERE'S A BURGER URGE AT UQ!!!! Man, when I was there there was just the shitty refecs. There was the Subway in like my last year. The Reddo always did good burgers actually. Assuming it hasn't been bought by the RE yet.

And I think I'm moving closer to the negative category for BrisGAF. A Tuesday after work makes it hard for me to get in there from Ipswich. I'll try to make a surprise appearance, but don't get your hopes up I guess.

Damn you guys have all had insanely fancy cupcakes. I want in.

I think I've had green tea... but anything green tea related is great anyway :p

^^ Let me know if you're around at uni next week.

Pro tip: the best burgers aren't at any restaurant there are two or more of.

Truth. Some of the best burgers I've had have been at places like tiny fish and chip shops. Grill'd is definitely the exception though. That sauce is amazing.

HolyCheck

Pro tip: the best burgers aren't at any restaurant there are two or more of.

I remember going to this burger place in Japan, it was so good, you basically just went and bought your buns, then it was a help yourself to all the ingredients and you just went fucking mad and made your own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom