• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

I think I've had green tea... but anything green tea related is great anyway :p
I agree. Green tea cake, green tea bread, green tea soba, green tea ice cream, green tea pretz, green tea marshmallows, green tea candy, green tea flavoured drinks, green tea tea, aaaand so on.

Cohsae

First time? My dad (a farmer) is heavily involved in his local club. The stories he tells of experienced shooters failing miserably at trap or skeet shooting is hilarious.

Yeah my boss decided all of us should go along because she knows one of the guys who's a member at the local club. Never fired anything more than an air rifle before. We were just firing at the straightaway targets. A couple from an angle but always with the trap on stationary.
Watched the members have a go with the oscillating target (basically means you don't know where it's gonna shoot until it's in the air). They were bloody good. One of them would hit the clay, then after it split he'd hit one of the fragments as well.

In Singapore now on holiday - came here 7 years or so ago. The city has changed so much. amazing. All the big brands you don't see are here - and orchard rd in its current state with all the labels (not that I care) make our "premier" retail area pitt street mall just seem tiny and pitiful. And somehow pitt street mall is the 3rd most expensive rent/sqm in the world. Just bizarre. There are so many malls here that beat it in terms of quality of space and number and variety of shops.

anyhow. Sydney in particular should take note; all the urban train stations are nasty and old as shit while almost every single station here is modern and more importantly, air conditioned. If anything; The 4-5 circle line stations really need an upgrade and A/C. Instead at Townhall, we have fans that maybe sometimes work. And the wait time on trains here? 3-4 minutes. I know they have the population to sustain the trains, but it would not hurt them to throw in some extra trains at peak hour.

Citirail is shocking.

Jintor

In Singapore now on holiday - came here 7 years or so ago. The city has changed so much. amazing. All the big brands you don't see are here - and orchard rd in its current state with all the labels (not that I care) make our "premier" retail area pitt street mall just seem tiny and pitiful. And somehow pitt street mall is the 3rd most expensive rent/sqm in the world. Just bizarre. There are so many malls here that beat it in terms of quality of space and number and variety of shops.

anyhow. Sydney in particular should take note; all the urban train stations are nasty and old as shit while almost every single station here is modern and more importantly, air conditioned. If anything; The 4-5 circle line stations really need an upgrade and A/C. Instead at Townhall, we have fans that maybe sometimes work. And the wait time on trains here? 3-4 minutes. I know they have the population to sustain the trains, but it would not hurt them to throw in some extra trains at peak hour.

Citirail is shocking.

All that modernisation is good and stuff, but it's not the same old Singapore if you can't go find yourself a flea market and and sit on the side of the road in plastic chairs, half a coconut in one hand and a plastic plate of roti in the other.

Of course fuck that when it comes to trains. MODERNISE OUR DAMN TRAINS DAMNIT

Shaneus

Hmmm. Le Mans 24hr stream, on PC, can't be fucked firing it up on the big TV.

Live is orright.

Now to investigate if there's a way to get Justin.tv on my TV some other way, via either PS3 or WDTV or 360 or something...

Deeku

They have green tea frappuccinos at starbucks. They are heaven, especially with cream -w-
:eek: Hmm I will go try this!

In Singapore now on holiday - came here 7 years or so ago. The city has changed so much. amazing. All the big brands you don't see are here - and orchard rd in its current state with all the labels (not that I care) make our "premier" retail area pitt street mall just seem tiny and pitiful.
Nah pitt st mall is alright now ever since the revamp.

My parents love singapore. I kinda hate it for dumb reasons like the heat, annoying singlish speaking people, the heat. Street food is v. good though. And clean!

Omikron

Found some cool bookends in an antique shop today. Yes, I was shopping in an antique shop.

861a32e0b83d11e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg

Presume they are llamas seeing the items were made in Mexico?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Really? Why?! :(

Arrogant, bloated ego, snide, and in general encompasses the exact stereotype you'd associate with a wanky independent developer who thinks his shit doesn't stink. I've never met him, so I don't know, but I do know a couple of people who have and not a single one had nice things to say.

Indie Game: The Movie also only focuses on Fish's side of the story, in regards to his fallout with his business parter. The original cut of the film states that Fish's business parter asked not to participate in the film. This is inaccurate, and was later revised to state he was never asked at all. It's a documentary that only shot one side of a situation and ignored the other.

Arrogant, bloated ego, snide, and in general encompasses the exact stereotype you'd associate with a wanky independent developer who thinks his shit doesn't stink. I've never met him, so I don't know, but I do know a couple of people who have and not a single one had nice things to say.

Indie Game: The Movie also only focuses on Fish's side of the story, in regards to his fallout with his business parter. The original cut of the film states that Fish's business parter asked not to participate in the film. This is inaccurate, and was later revised to state he was never asked at all. It's a documentary that only shot one side of a situation and ignored the other.
YOU LEAVE JAPAN'S GAMING INDUSTRY MESSIAH ALONE YOU BASTARD!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I think I have an inherent disliking of indy devs who are treated as messiahs, given stage and screen time over and over, as if they have very important things to say, when they've only ever produced one piece of work. Fish got so much attention for years prior to releasing Fez. Similarly Jonathan Blow is put on a pedestal (though at least has a stronger history than Fish).

There's so many great indy devs out out there making really interesting stuff who don't get a lick of attention as much as these guys. And that sucks.

THIS IS JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF TALL POPPY SYNDROME!!! WHEN HE HAS CHANGED THE GAMING LANDSCAPE FOREVER YOU WILL EAT YOUR WORDS
just like those that Fish asked to eat his dick

There's so many great indy devs out out there making really interesting stuff who don't get a lick of attention as much as these guys. And that sucks.
At least attention is being devoted to some Indie games. I don't understand treating these developers like gods, but we should still recognize effort where it's due. People are allowed to get excited about games, and it's cool that independent games are able to get a chance to shine.

Gazunta

Minter is the king of all indie devs and nobody cares about him :/

Is there an online decision making website? I need to make some decisions.

So Linkin Park made an even worse album than A Thousand Suns. How about that. Didn't think it was possible.

So Indie game: the movie is pretty interesting. You guys should check it out. The guy who made Fez went through so much crap..

Phil Fish is the reason I never bought Fez and instead played a bit on my mates 360. Dude is a pretty good indication of what is wrong with 'indie' games and is dragging them down a bit at the moment. EatChildren is spot on with the pedestal bullshit. Thousands and thousands of people have worked even harder and achieved even more amazing projects than the 'indie' darlings of the game industry and go ignored.

Also the whole eat a dick/Japanese gaming/one sided story thing. At least Blow is 100% open about the kind of developer he is and doesn't bullshit. I don't think much of his games but I do enjoy reading what he has to say as he expresses himself with complete sincerity.

Choc

Banned
It's amazing some of the commentary from indie game, i'd love to see a sequel or at least more documentaries like this. The human element is amazing.

Lol i loved the meat guy going 'well you know, halo is a shit game'

Also, the stories about how Blow commented on every article (which is true ya know) heh

Yagharek

So Indie game: the movie is pretty interesting. You guys should check it out. The guy who made Fez went through so much crap..

Good.

He's also a notorious arsehole.

Yes.

Really? Why?! :(

Because.

See!

NO YUO.

I think I have an inherent disliking of indy devs who are treated as messiahs, given stage and screen time over and over, as if they have very important things to say, when they've only ever produced one piece of work. Fish got so much attention for years prior to releasing Fez. Similarly Jonathan Blow is put on a pedestal (though at least has a stronger history than Fish).

Agreed.

THIS IS JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF TALL POPPY SYNDROME!!! WHEN HE HAS CHANGED THE GAMING LANDSCAPE FOREVER YOU WILL EAT YOUR WORDS
just like those that Fish asked to eat his dick

Sarcasm detected. More investigation required.

At least attention is being devoted to some Indie games. I don't understand treating these developers like gods, but we should still recognize effort where it's due. People are allowed to get excited about games, and it's cool that independent games are able to get a chance to shine.

There is a perverted idea floating around at the moment as to what an "indie developer" is. It seems to be that in order to join the clique you need to have some pretentious 'idea' about why your work is the saviour of the gaming industry and how such creativity can only come from the West. Nevermind the fact that they have been predated looooong ago by such truly independent developers such as:

Minter is the king of all indie devs and nobody cares about him :/

Is there an online decision making website? I need to make some decisions.

and to nominate the (quoting James Mielke here) true independent development studio: Treasure. They were 'indie' before indie was even a word. No pretention there. No try hard self-aggrandised announcements and hyperbolic treatises full of rhetoric on their alleged Reformation. Just simple distilled gameplay, quality design and memorable levels.

While I'm angry: Fez is a ripoff of 20 years of 2D Japanese games, and Braid is a shitty platforming game which David Lynch would be embarrassed to wipe his arse on.

Yagharek

Good indie games: Portal, World of Goo, Swords and Soldiers, Pixeljunk series, Flower, Geometry Wars,

Shit indie games: Braid, Fez, Super Meat Boy.

Yagharek

don't watch indie game the movie

portal is not indie, it started indie sure, but its not

It wouldnt exist if it weren't for Narbacular Drop, so its indie. It just went through the Valvification Process.

My favourite indie developers are the ones that make hentai games.

Weirdo.

That bad huh?

Another indie game I did like (the short bit I played) was Trine 1. Sort of looked like a cross between Medievil on PS1 and the lost vikings.

EatChildren

I agree. But the indy scene is subject to the same problems that the mass market scene suffers, notably attention favouring certain identities and success stories versus a broader scope and equal coverage for all. Fish was, for years, put on panels and given a platform to talk despite having never released a game in his life. Fez looked good and had won awards, but so what? Other devs had equally interesting looking games, equally moving stories of hardship and struggle, and I'm sure equally interesting and insightful things to say about the industry and development process. Many weren't just working on games, but had released games too. Fish just happened to be the identity higher ups in that scene wanted to associate with themselves, and his story gave them good press coverage.

Someone else said it in another thread, but a lot of indy devs forget their not just 'indy devs'. Often times they're also amateur developers, with plenty of room to grow and much to learn from more experienced veterans. Unfortunately the title 'indy dev' bestowed upon them comes with connotations of the 'little guy': the small, struggling mighty developer possessing incredible artistic skill, buried under the capitalist iron fist of 'the man'.

There's something concerning when the face of the indy scene is someone who hadn't (at the time) even released a game. Meanwhile Grasshopper, Frictional, Gaijin, 2D Boy, ACE, and Introversion produce game after game off their own back. Most of those were given adequate attention, but I dunno. Situations like that make me feel it should be more about Fish listening to people who know what they're doing, and less about Fish being given a spotlight to tell everyone what's right and wrong with the world of gaming.

Yagharek

There's something concerning when the face of the indy scene is someone who hadn't (at the time) even released a game. Meanwhile Grasshopper, Frictional, Gaijin, 2D Boy, ACE, and Introversion produce game after game off their own back. Most of those were given adequate attention, but I dunno. Situations like that make me feel it should be more about Fish listening to people who know what they're doing, and less about Fish being given a spotlight to tell everyone what's right and wrong with the world of gaming.

I love this paragraph.

Yagharek

how is geometry wars a fucking indie game?

IIRC it wasnt developed by BC, but a couple of people on their staff who did it in their own time. It was subsequently included in the final release of PGR2.

I'm open to being challenged on the point of it being a non-indie game seeing as it was published by MS, but then again, so was Fez.

I have completely forgotten how to make MS Access functional :(
Time to start looking for tutorials on the web to kickstart the memory bank again.

IIRC it wasnt developed by BC, but a couple of people on their staff who did it in their own time. It was subsequently included in the final release of PGR2.

Actually it was PGR2..... damn your edit!

Also I was fairly certain it was self-published even though it was always said that Microsoft published it.

Yagharek

That's... not how things work. Narbacular Drop was indie. Anything afterwards stopped being indie the minute the team were picked up and made internal by the biggest developer/publisher in the PC space.

Narbacular Drop wasnt indie - it was a college project that got the team hired by valve.

edit: I can see this line of talk is just going down the route of arguing over definitions.

Fuck Phil Fish.

EatChildren

'Independent' game development, in the case of Valve, is tough to define. Fez and Super Meat Boy are independent as the development process was funded by the developers themselves, versus publisher backing. But that can also apply to Valve. Portal was made using Valve's resources and finances, and Valve is a privately owned corporation. What's the difference between two guys making a game with their own money, and a hundred guys making a game with their own money?

It's a bit of a grey area in the case of Valve, because they're so successful and large as a corporation, yet public/external financing isn't applicable to their operation.

I should note with my rant above that I'm not discrediting Fez as a game, or any other 'popular' indy games. Super Meat Boy is a triumphant platformer in my opinion. Brilliant design. I quite like Braid's level design too. People seem to enjoy a lot of Fez, so for all I know it's amazing.

I just dislike the way the indy 'scene' perceived certain developers over others. In my imaginary world indy development should simply be people with aspirations, experience and passion for game development getting together, sharing ideas, philosophies and knowledge to help better their own work as well as the industry. They should be a collaborative entity that intends to serve the positive side of game development in opposition of the destructive business side. What it shouldn't be is a pissing contest of egos, and sadly this is what I feel it too often is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom