• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What devs? I never know how to go about finding indie-centric games (aside from tigsource and ludum dare stuff).
I think a big part of the problem is that the gaming industry is going through what the music industry went through a while back. The term 'indie', you'd think, should mean that they're independent of the big labels and are putting out stuff themselves. However with music nowadays, it doesn't mean anything like that, it's just a form of alt rock.

Same with games. 'Indie' should mean the small guys without big publishing deals. If you went by that guideline, Fez, Braid, Super Meat Boy all wouldn't be 'indie' because they had huge deals with Microsoft. I'd guess guys like Introversion and mode7 as 'indie' before those other guys. Technically you could probably call everything Valve releases 'indie' since they're independent from everyone else. Though I wouldn't.

Indie games nowadays are becoming more a less-definable style of game.

Driver:SF for $7.50 is ultra-tempting, but I really want comfy couch gaming with it*. Torn.

* Before anyone suggests it, I'm not moving the PC into the lounge room. Yet.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yea it did get changed, I knew of that :D

I might still grab it. I figured we would only play it twice online and then never touch it again, So it could be worth it still at 7.50.

I think a big part of the problem is that the gaming industry is going through what the music industry went through a while back. The term 'indie', you'd think, should mean that they're independent of the big labels and are putting out stuff themselves. However with music nowadays, it doesn't mean anything like that, it's just a form of alt rock.

Same with games. 'Indie' should mean the small guys without big publishing deals. If you went by that guideline, Fez, Braid, Super Meat Boy all wouldn't be 'indie' because they had huge deals with Microsoft. I'd glass guys like Introversion and mode7 as 'indie' before those other guys. Technically you could probably call everything Valve releases 'indie' since they're independent from everyone else. Though I wouldn't.

Indie games nowadays are becoming more a less-definable style of game.

My definition of 'indie' is independently developed from a major studio. Games can be published differently, which to me, makes Fez, Team Meat, Jonathon Blow etc indie. They paid for their development of their game through their time and/or their own money.

senahorse

Driver:SF for $7.50 is ultra-tempting, but I really want comfy couch gaming with it*. Torn.

* Before anyone suggests it, I'm not moving the PC into the lounge room. Yet.

Do you own or rent?

I recently just ran cat6 through the entire house with some dedicated runs from both studies to both the lounge and rumpus areas. We use HDMI over ethernet adapters to push 1080P with audio to both areas. Also we are using USB over ethernet extenders with a hub at each destination for keyboard, mouse, 360 controller, usb mic etc.

Do you own or rent?

I recently just ran cat6 through the entire house with some dedicated runs from both studies to both the lounge and rumpus areas. We use HDMI over ethernet adapters to push 1080P with audio to both areas. Also we are using USB over ethernet extenders with a hub at each destination for keyboard, mouse, 360 controller, usb mic etc.

That sounds like a really interesting setup. Is all the equipment expensive?

never heard of HDMI over ethernet.....

My definition of 'indie' is independently developed from a major studio. Games can be published differently, which to me, makes Fez, Team Meat, Jonathon Blow etc indie. They paid for their development of their game through their time and/or their own money.

I thought Fez got some money from the Microsoft/Trapdoor publishing deal?

senahorse

I bought a couple of different HDMI extenders and a couple of USB extenders to test with.

USB extender 1 was $80 and worked fine but not with USB hubs. USB extender 2 was around the same price and does worth with a USB hub.

Both HDMI extenders work fine, I bought a powered and an passive model. The passive model is the one I am currently using and it works perfectly and only cost ~$40.

I thought Fez got some money from the Microsoft/Trapdoor publishing deal?

From IGTM, they were initially funded by the Canadian govt through a grant (
and possibly Fish's initial partner
spoilerd cos i dunno, could be spoilders). I haven't really looked into Fish's history aside from IGTM. SMB was wholly funded by Team Meat however, they got no money from any producers (that I can tell).

A reasonable enough definition I suppose. It seems to me like a lot of people are bandying the term around a lot though recently.

Do you own or rent?

We rent, but that seems like a reasonable way to get things working. Never considered HDMI/USB over ethernet. What sort of bandwidth does it take? Presumably it doesn't hog a 1Gb network.

I bought a couple of different HDMI extenders and a couple of USB extenders to test with.
Got some links or models of the ones that worked best?

Choc

Banned
Main issue was lashing out at GAF et al just because he felt slighted by another journalist posting a tweet (not even directed at McElroy!) on their own account. The ACTUAL journalist who posted the rumor even came into the GAF thread and explained why the news story was posted and made complete sense and everyone simmered down until the idiot McElroy kept lashing out. Even Klepek acknowledged the reasoning for posting the rumor in the GAF thread. At that point it just became embarrassing for The Verge and the fact that would employ someone who acts so unprofessionally.

I would have been shocked if I didn't already know about his Nier review which basically wiped out any reason to take him seriously as a 'journalist'. He is a gamer. A fan of games. To call him a journalist would be insulting to others in the profession who take their job seriously and try to do the right thing.

so remember that thread i made to point this very thing out and gaf jumped all over me

so guess who was right?

USB extender 1 was $80 and worked fine but not with USB hubs. USB extender 2 was around the same price and does worth with a USB hub.

Both HDMI extenders work fine, I bought a powered and an passive model. The passive model is the one I am currently using and it works perfectly and only cost ~$40.

Possible links please? looking at wireless AV senders atm. just reading to get my head around how it all works.

If i can spend under 200 and get rid of clutter that would be nice. There is litterally a jungle of cables in the living room behind the TV, not to mention it is a nightmare to setup

Aon

Yeah holy fuck. I'm never going to get a damn job am I. Paywalls are annoying as hell, The Age is shrinking to be a tiny paper and I've convinced myself that I'm going to buy a Turtle once my contract ends in a few weeks.

What a terrible day. Tullamarine will close down in a few years a 20% of those damn cuts are editorial. Like, god damn.

And Rinehart's just going to buy up the rest of everything.

This era. We live in the best of times but god change is painful sometimes.

senahorse

We rent, but that seems like a reasonable way to get things working. Never considered HDMI/USB over ethernet. What sort of bandwidth does it take? Presumably it doesn't hog a 1Gb network.

It runs independent of the network. I have a rack in a dedicated room where all the network cabling terminates and is switched, the USB/HDMI does not come here.

The cabling for the HDMI and USB runs are direct runs:

Study 1:

1. 1 x Cat6 for USB to lounge
  2. 2 x Cat6 for HDMI to lounge
  3. 4 x Cat6 to patch panel (comms room)

Study 2 is the same. Note that there is 2 runs of Cat6 for HDMI. Most adapters require this, but you can get single Cat6 extenders which I also have and it works fine. I just prefer the 2xCat6 adapter as it doesn't require powering.

The trick is making your Cat6 run as short as possible, try to keep it under 30M if you can.

Got some links or models of the ones that worked best?

Possible links please?

This is the HDMI extender I am currently using:

sku026747_1.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HDMI-Ext...ccessories&hash=item2a1d911ad8#ht_5029wt_1139

This is the other one I have which also works:

file_1055_2.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1080P-HD...Accessories&hash=item336d44f450#ht_3412wt_977

As for USB extenders this is one I am currently using:

ws-cau2n4_thu.jpg

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20461

The HDMI extender has always worked flawlessly. The USB extender sometimes drops out, but this only happens maybe once a month (probably not even that often) and not while you are using it. It's usually a quick fix by resetting it.

I should add, that you can get some really high quality extenders. USB going for around $400 and HDMI going for around the same, I just wanted to take a chance and see if I can get away with a cheap alternative, and it paid off.

Deeku

Hmm package on desk from japan, I'm assuming it's Persona 4 vita:D

Box is awfully big for a vita case though:eek: Either there's some dumb preorder bonus stuff inside, or it's a false alarm. Guess I'll find out later after work!

More than once, at that.
Maybe it was only the once and the kids slowly gestated in there for a while before being forced to venture out into the cruel world of breast feeding, one by one.

<_>

Whats driver? Is this one meant to be better than driv3r?
New Driver shits on old Driver. Shits on 99% of arcade driving games. Shits on most games this generation. Will be a memorable title of the generation.

Next gen Burnout, at least the kind of fun Burnout I was hoping for.

Hmm package on desk from japan, I'm assuming it's Persona 4 vita:D

Box is awfully big for a vita case though:eek: Either there's some dumb preorder bonus stuff inside, or it's a false alarm. Guess I'll find out later after work!

No no no no, meow please!

Yagharek

Maybe it was only the once and the kids slowly gestated in there for a while before being forced to venture out into the cruel world of breast feeding, one by one.

<_>

I'm not sure whats the worst thing about lang hancocks legacy. Wittenoom asbestos problems and great swathes of natural beauty destroyed, or a benefactor who seems more beautiful on the outside than on the inside.

Makes rose porteous look like the lesser of three evils.

New Driver shits on old Driver. Shits on 99% of arcade driving games. Shits on most games this generation. Will be a memorable title of the generation.

Next gen Burnout, at least the kind of fun Burnout I was hoping for.

I'm guessing the wii version is vastly different then?

The HDMI extender has always worked flawlessly. The USB extender sometimes drops out, but this only happens maybe once a month (probably not even that often) and not while you are using it. It's usually a quick fix by resetting it.

I should add, that you can get some really high quality extenders. USB going for around $400 and HDMI going for around the same, I just wanted to take a chance and see if I can get away with a cheap alternative, and it paid off.

I think i can get this setup to work well for my pc.
2 questions though.

1. are you using wireless keyboard/mouse (recommendations please)
2. how do you have it setup so that you are comfortable gaming from a couch. i have always had trouble with being comfortable i currently have a large couch/beanbags/small coffee table in mine. i guess best would be sitting on beanbags and using the coffee table?

It runs independent of the network.
Oh so you're using direct cabling? It would be ultra convenient for me if I could connect it to my existing switches in each part of the house but it doesn't sound like it'll work like that. I would've tried to get it running tonight otherwise!

It is still of interest though, thanks for the links.

Edit: Yeah, sounds like the devices are just using the ethernet cable to transmit HDMI data. It's not converted to IP. Bummer, that would be awesome.

Explain why please. I'm interested but the demo didn't really pique my interest

Do you like the Crash mode in Burnout? Driver San Fran is like a big kids playchest full of fun driving shit where you smash the shit out of things with a big cheesy grin on your face while driving awesome cars at high speed.

IT IS SOOO FUN!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Yeah holy fuck. I'm never going to get a damn job am I. Paywalls are annoying as hell, The Age is shrinking to be a tiny paper and I've convinced myself that I'm going to buy a Turtle once my contract ends in a few weeks.

What a terrible day. Tullamarine will close down in a few years a 20% of those damn cuts are editorial. Like, god damn.

And Rinehart's just going to buy up the rest of everything.

This era. We live in the best of times but god change is painful sometimes.

can we have turtle play dates?

senahorse

I think i can get this setup to work well for my pc.
2 questions though.

1. are you using wireless keyboard/mouse (recommendations please)
2. how do you have it setup so that you are comfortable gaming from a couch. i have always had trouble with being comfortable i currently have a large couch/beanbags/small coffee table in mine. i guess best would be sitting on beanbags and using the coffee table?

1. Yes, wireless keyboard and mouse for general use. However, I use my G15 and MX518 if I am going to do some serious key/mouse gaming on the TV.

For reference, this is the keyboard/mouse I use for general purpose:

mk_wd2000_blk_large.jpg

Chosen because the mouse uses bluetrack which works better on most surfaces.

2. I usually game in a Poang chair when using keyboard and mouse (otherwise couch or supersac) and I use a little side table for the mouse. For the keyboard I bought a lap desk from Officeworks ($13) which works really well.

4FB5814057518740E10080000AF11387.JPG

edit: I should note, I usually use a 360 pad when I play on the TV.

Jintor

Eh... I guess I'll double dip on San Fran, considering how much fun I had with it on the box. I probably won't actually play it again but whatever. Maybe some AusGAF multi, I don't know.

senahorse

Tried downloading, can't figure out how to download from filepost. Can you host them somewhere else?

Just scroll down the page to where the grey box is for slow/free download. Click on that and after 60 seconds a link should appear near there on the page, it's pretty confusing I have to admit, I clicked on the wrong thing a few times.

Just scroll down the page to where the grey box is for slow/free download. Click on that and after 60 seconds a link should appear near there on the page, it's pretty confusing I have to admit, I clicked on the wrong thing a few times.

I did that, then filled in the captcha, then pressed enter. The dialog closes then nothing happens. :(

senahorse

I did that, then filled in the captcha, then pressed enter. The dialog closes then nothing happens. :(

OK trying it again.

1.) Clicked on Low Speed Download
2.) wait for timer to finish
3.) enter code in popup box and click submit
4.) In the section where the timer was counting down is now the text "Your download is ready! Start Downloading Now!"
5.) Click that and it downloads

Fogz

Locked in for the BrisGAF meetup on the 2nd.

Also on a Game Design note, I've started up a Tumblr blog as a place that I can talk yang about game design and some of the stuff I've learned over the past two years, plus it's a place where my Sega Hardon can get some relief.

On that, I wrote this one up yesterday: Design Prattle: Whoever Designed Alex Kidd in Miracle World Hates You And Everyone You Love

tumblr_m5pvotbuzw1rr8om5.png

tumblr_m5ppk4tvDl1rr8om5.gif

http://iamtherlan.tumblr.com/post/25229467034/design-prattle-whoever-designed-alex-kidd-in-miracle

What a dick.

Great blog post, it makes me wonder how I managed to work it all out as a kid and somehow got so good at it. Man, I loved that game back in the day, played it to death and back again! To this day though I still remembered the crown code (sunwavesmoonstarsunmoonwavesfishstarfish) and get the music stuck in my head whenever someone mentions Alex Kidd.

OK trying it again.

1.) Clicked on Low Speed Download
2.) wait for timer to finish
3.) enter code in popup box and click submit
4.) In the section where the timer was counting down is now the text "Your download is ready! Start Downloading Now!"
5.) Click that and it downloads

Got it going, thanks! I thought you enter the captcha then it auto-downloads. Apparently a link on a random part of the page was a better choice for them. :/

Rlan, good to see you posting your Sega thoughts.

edit: Holy shit at the SFGHQ post. I remember that. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom