• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

SydGAF Board Gamers, for whenever we do our next day (which is currently looking to be early July perhaps), I thought I'd let you know I ordered some new games this morning. I just hope they arrive before I go to Brissy so I can take the rules up with me to learn while I'm there...

The first:
pic1296939.jpg
pic1298883.jpg

Uncharted is VERY new (seems to have come out this month, or something), but a few early impressions seem to highly recommend it. It's apparently very quick to play and the mechanics seem to fit our game style quite well.

The second:
pic1077906_md.jpg
pic1197083_md.jpg

This one would be much more in-depth that any of the other games we've played, but it seems awesome. It has a very good reputation and I'm really itching to try it out. Also, given the popularity of the license, perhaps it might convince some other guys to come join us (trust us, we don't bite)...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Uncharted the board game. Rules
1 - Shoot lots of people. Shoot everyone.
2 - Whoever shoots the most people wins.

Dreamhack dota 2 starts in 3 hours? 5pm? Fuck. That's just too early.

Clipper

If we can do board games after the 2nd of July, I'm on board :D
get it... "board"..

Well, I leave on the evening of the 5th, so it would need to be a weekday. Uncharted would definitely work for an evening gathering, but perhaps not GoT unless we start quite early (it says it takes 3 hours to play)

Clipper

OK, just checked, for board games I can do any time on the 2nd, any time we aren't at the dinner/drinks BrisGAF on the 3rd, late afternoon/evening of the 4th or daytime on the 5th. Is anyone else interested apart from shanshan and Marsh and what times are people available if willing and able?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
SydGAF Board Gamers, for whenever we do our next day (which is currently looking to be early July perhaps), I thought I'd let you know I ordered some new games this morning. I just hope they arrive before I go to Brissy so I can take the rules up with me to learn while I'm there...

The first:
pic1296939.jpg
pic1298883.jpg

Uncharted is VERY new (seems to have come out this month, or something), but a few early impressions seem to highly recommend it. It's apparently very quick to play and the mechanics seem to fit our game style quite well.

The second:
pic1077906_md.jpg
pic1197083_md.jpg

This one would be much more in-depth that any of the other games we've played, but it seems awesome. It has a very good reputation and I'm really itching to try it out. Also, given the popularity of the license, perhaps it might convince some other guys to come join us (trust us, we don't bite)...

Interesting! I bought my step dad the game of thrones one for his birthday! good to hear it has a good reputation!

r1chard

Mostly because almost every commenter seems to want to make it her fault "why did you not speak out?" when she clearly indicated that she did speak out, at least once. And she shouldn't have to.

OK, "mostly" is the wrong word. What happened to her is still wrong wrongedy wrong. The response is wrong too.

Ever have one of those days when you just can't seem to connect the brain to become the correct words on screen? :)

Yagharek

Mostly because almost every commenter seems to want to make it her fault "why did you not speak out?" when she clearly indicated that she did speak out, at least once. And she shouldn't have to.

OK, "mostly" is the wrong word. What happened to her is still wrong wrongedy wrong. The response is wrong too.

Depends on personality. Some of the pr reps may have been assertive types, and it doesn't matter who you are, such people are difficult to make them stfu.

ie there may not have been much she could have done.

Jintor

Fredescu said:
If you sympathise with this, keep it in mind when you're rolling your eyes at high profile females in the gaming industry, like when people bitch about Felicia Day or the Aisha Taylor rant. You don't know the shit they put up with every day.

Yeah, which is why I don't [roll my eyes, make fun of, bitch about etc], generally speaking.

Yagharek

If you sympathise with this, keep it in mind when you're rolling your eyes at high profile females in the gaming industry, like when people bitch about Felicia Day or the Aisha Taylor rant. You don't know the shit they put up with every day.

Remember Jade Raymond? Holy shit did she cop it.

Fredescu

Yeah, which is why I don't [roll my eyes, make fun of, bitch about etc], generally speaking.
I didn't mean to direct it at you, I just remember some comments in here by I don't remember who, who couldn't understand what Aisha was upset about, or why FD would always make a big deal about being a gamer and was she just attention seeking etc.

Yagharek

Also, its still pretty damning that Jade from BG&E is still, after 9 years, the best example of a believable female playable character.

Choc

Banned
windows 8 is the most fucking biggest piece of shit ever, ive just tried it for 30 mins and fuck me microsoft has destroyed windows

apple will be laughing

how fucking hard can it be to set a fucking proxy server for a fucking corporate fucking network?!

edit: Also Katie should have walked the fuck out and then explained to the goose what happened.

That editorial should be in PCPP next month, but im guessing the publisher don't have the balls (i bet DW does)

Choc

Banned
comments on the KAU story are fucking shit

edit: lets play guess the game Katie was referencing

i guess, Metro last light

just listened to the most recent Bombcast. Jeff et al's thoughts on Tomb Raider is kinda interesting. They don't want to touch that game anymore. It does seem recently the developers have lost their fucking minds.

midonnay

I'm not sure how fairfax is going to survive with their future aim of going digital only....

According to Mumbrella, only a few thousand people read Fairfax papers on the Ipad...

News limited on the other hand already has a captive audience of 1/2 million footy fans (AFL and NRL) playing fantasy football on their websites and probably have a fair bit of power to leverage this into paid subscriptions in the future.

Jintor

My long-term expectation will be that if the editorial quality of Fairfax begins to suffer, or they start slashing and burning the paper side, the whole ship is going to sink into the sea.

I'm beginning to think you can't have quality journalism within the confines of the commercial marketspace.

I quoted this with the intention of saying you're wrong. But my counterpoint was with so many caveats that I might just have to accept you're right.

What I was going to say is that you want a product that is so strong and so fearless that people want to read it every day. That way advertisers will flock to it to be seen. But realistically pissing off a major advertiser will never be popular with the managerial side of an operation.

That said we've written stories about Coles and Woolies being pricks and they still advertise with us.

Choc

Banned
dont worry jint you know its just going to turn into the tony abbott love paper soon

also

fucking gaf pisses me off. Some kids are fuckwits. How is it Katies fault

Jintor

I quoted this with the intention of saying you're wrong. But my counterpoint was with so many caveats that I might just have to accept you're right.

What I was going to say is that you want a product that is so strong and so fearless that people want to read it every day. That way advertisers will flock to it to be seen. But realistically pissing off a major advertiser will never be popular with the managerial side of an operation.

That said we've written stories about Coles and Woolies being pricks and they still advertise with us.

Well obviously it's a huge generalisation - a number of commercial places do some really quality journalism. But it's the difference between treating what you write as a drawcard for eyeballs and advertiser dollars, and treating what you write as in and of itself worth reading. The concepts often overlap but they're not exactly the same thing, and that frightens me.

Aon

On that note I wonder what she is up to these days, she was involved a bit with I Am Alive I think. Too bad both her and Patrice aren't on AssCree any more.

She's been setting up Ubisoft Toronto and semi-involved in the newest Splinter Cell. There's a really good interview in EDGE from a few months ago and a less interesting one in on Eurogamer.

Rezbit

The second:
pic1077906_md.jpg
pic1197083_md.jpg

This board game is AMAZING. It is pretty complicated and takes a little while to learn, but once you get into it it's very good. You will laugh. You will screw someone over. Someone will crack the shits. Glorious.

r1chard

there are some real cunts in that thread.
fortunately the anti-cuntasshole is strong in the GAF at the moment...

edit: that didn't really come out the way I thought it would :) edited for clarity

A completely unrelated topic: I just bought the Pathfinder starter box. Anyone else had a go at it? Any advice? I'll be running the boxed campaign with 6 players.

Wow that was a really good article. One thing that bothers me in general though is the need for her (and other women who've written about gaming) to have to spell out that she is a gamer. Not only say it, but have to back it up with "evidence" too. I mean, they shouldn't have to spell it out, but on another level I guess its kind of like "yeah, okay I get it, you don't need to keep saying it". I know that a lot of women do play games so they don't need to prove anything to me. I've never felt the need to call myself a 'girl gamer', in fact the term kinda makes me roll my eyes. Its kind of horrible when there are guys who don't think women play games which makes them need to proclaim that they are gamers, which the guys then respond to by complaining about girl gamers being so vocal. I don't know what my point is =/

Personal story: I went to buy a pc, and though I don't understand computers much at all I asked the guy for something that would be suitable for gaming and he tried to sell me something with integrated graphics, telling me it would be good enough to run the sims. (The sims 3 doesn't even run on integrated graphics =/ so he was a liar as well as a asshole). I ended up buying something nice from a lady at JB HIFI instead.

Choc

Banned
wanna know why FairFax is dying?

Leaked Documents Reveal Microsoft's Next Xbox

11:44am | A 56-page document from Microsoft, dating back to mid-2010, reveals company plans for a “Xbox 720”. The recently leaked document has been removed since its discovery.

FOR NOT FUCKING FACT CHECKING THATS WHY

Jintor

Fact checking got outsourced to New Zealand remember

This comment is meant in jest and is not to be relied upon for actual publication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom