• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Halo 4 is totally different to what we expect.
Probably not. It seems like Halo so far. Eh. Do want that cover art though!

GoD sale ends on Monday, make sure to pickup a game for 480 Allards (don't pay in dollars since you can pick up points cards on the cheap every now and then).
Conan is 320 Allards too.
Picked up Cloudy With Meatballs and had a great time with it, puzzle platformer for tweens.

Rented Dead Space 2 but I'm too much of a pansy to play it for more than a checkpoint at a time. Enemy instances are a step down from the first game so far, too predictable and finding a chokepoint to attack from makes most encounters too straightforward. I expect they will change it up further into the game though. Love the story and the development of the world. Talkie Isaac is great too. Very much the transition from Alien to Aliens.

I have my jeans rolled up as they are a tiny bit too long.

Don't hate me because I'm hip.

I just let nature take its course and wear them down for me. Although then the front of them look a little weird but eh. Why can't people make $15 jeans for the tall man!

r1chard

All you peeps in Melbourne for the weekend are gonna go to Game Masters at ACMI, yeah? I'm taking Monday off work to take my daughter in (hoping that the first day of school hols won't be ridiculously busy...)

hamchan

There was about a 5 year gap of no learning at all between my first stint at Uni and starting self-study so I've gone though quite a few different battles at tackling Kanji.

1) totally ignoring Kanji and just learning vocabulary by hiragana and picking up the odd chinese character here and there.

Result - works fine for the first 500 to 1000 words but then you hit the problems of homophones and different words having the same pronunciation.

2) Trying to master each kanji totally ie: learning every On and Kun reading at the same time as Writing and Vocabulary. Basically writing kanji over and over again.

Result - works fine for maybe about the first 500 kanji but then you get past all the low hanging fruit and similar looking kanji really mess with your memory.

3) Kanji in context - basically just learning kanji compounds and other words as they come in sentences rather than worrying about total mastery.

Result - Works for some words but others didn't really seem to stick very well.....again similar looking kanji mess with your memory.

4) Mneumonics - using the Reviewing the Kanji website and Heisig keywords. Basically an advanced version of using radicals and creating little wordgames/stories to help remember how to write them.

Result - works really well for basically any chinese character no matter the complexity. Furthermore learning new characters actually reinforces the kanji you have already learnt because they are often made up of similar components. The stories help keep each character distinct from each other in your memory.

Furthermore, now learning Kanji in context actually works really well because I don't have to worry about characters I don't know and similar looking characters.

It doesn't have to be Heisig.....some people like books by Henshall, Joseph De roo etc.

In short what worked best for me is to keep each task separate from each other.

ie: instead of total mastery of each character, first learn how to write, then learn the readings of the words, then learn how to use it in a sentence.

Trying to do too many things at once just leads to frustration.

Thanks. I'll try to get that Remembering the Kanji book.

What the fuck is going on in this thread? You're all a bunch of boring/sad saps. No wonder I take extended absences of leave from this joint.

So, I was bored in iOS today:
nETXq.png

You're all boring! Look at this thing I did while bored.

Dundeon - Build 03

TODO:
Make the path do literally anything
Make a video game

BUGS:
If cursor moves too fast, path loses track of where it should go.

This isn't a bug, althought I know in FlashDevelop you can change the update interval from 30FPS to 60FPS for the SWF.. Not sure if we can hard code that somehow in Main.as using similar syntax to the width/height.
Code:
[SWF(width="480", height="384", backgroundColor="#000000")]
?

Instead of actually making progress. That's my fault, not Mega's. I get too easily distracted on aesthetics when coding.

You're fine, really. That's just a thing you eventually grow out of. I've been worse, getting distracted doing literally nothing instead of coding or designing. Also I like how you made the latest block flash. Nice touch and very usable.

GoD sale ends on Monday, make sure to pickup a game for 480 Allards (don't pay in dollars since you can pick up points cards on the cheap every now and then).

Should I buy Viva Pinata? Only interested because of Gaz, but always on the look out for new experiences. Is it actually good?

I have my jeans rolled up as they are a tiny bit too long.

Don't hate me because I'm hip.

I have an issue where getting jeans of acceptable length is difficult.

Skinny waist, normal length legs for overall height = bad. :(

I do the first becaose of the second.

midonnay

Thanks. I'll try to get that Remembering the Kanji book.

don't forget the unaffiliated website (which will probably be alot more useful than the book)

http://kanji.koohii.com/

The book only has stories for like 500 of them and expect you to use your imagination for the rest....

fuck that ....thinking takes too much time :p

the website through crowd sourcing gives you advice on whether the definition Heisig has chosen is too obscure and often has tens of different stories to pick from. (some better than the book too)

The "Kanji in Context" workbooks or the Core10k anki deck are good to learn the readings afterwards. (or during if you have the spare time)

Every purchase of Viva Piñata Party Animals comes with a free Gazunta hug, if that doesn't sell you nothing will.

All of the money goes to people other than Gazunta too which is a nice touch! Maybe if it sells well they will call you up for a sequel on the new Microsoft Tablet!

Clipper

SydGAF, it's looking like Game of Thrones may not arrive in time for our games day due to a stuff up in distribution. However, Uncharted should and I'll still have Munchkin and Discworld and stuff and Danoss might be able to bring Merchants & Marauders or something. It's sounding like I should definitely have it for the next one if we do it a fortnight later.

Deeku

Am I correct in assuming Tales of Vesperia is region free going by this list outside a Japan copy (meaning a US copy is good)?

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Region_Free_Xbox_360_Games

I can't find the game anywhere locally for cheap.

edit: shit did some more research and its region locked...Games on demand has it for 50bux fuck.
No ps3? You can play Vesperia in japanese, or get the new and superior Graces f game which is fantastic.

Fair enough......but knowing 700 kanji already isn't a bad thing..... you don't have to relearn them. (I pretty much skipped the ones that I already knew well)

You just have to remember the components that make up the kanji which can be used as building blocks to learn other characters (some of them which follow traditional chinese/japanese radicals and some that don't).

Also the heisig book is alittle outdated..... I mainly relied on the Revtk website. (Changed many of the keywords and primitive names because there were too obscure)

Just to give an example of some kanji that went through the churn of learning and forgetting learning and forgetting until I used mnemonics to help tell them apart.

茂 誠 越 臓 歳 域 賊 裁 職 伐 幾 式 我 械

don't get me started on the number of kanji with 糸 in them. (around 90 that I've seen so far)
seriously some masochists those chinese were :/
Lol. I'm not sure whether I love or hate kanji sometimes. It's very relaxing to practice.
Do you think it would be possible to learn using the website/ anki without the book? Its a little pricy.

Jintor

It's nice though that games are looking at books to serve as narrative cores for their journeys though, even if the influence is presently mostly just recontextualising them. I've noticed more developers out and out saying "Oh yeah, we looked at [this book] as an influence for how we are approaching morality" or whatever. Admittedly two of them are Heart of Darkness, but whatever.

Aon

It's nice though that games are looking at books to serve as narrative cores for their journeys though, even if the influence is presently mostly just recontextualising them. I've noticed more developers out and out saying "Oh yeah, we looked at [this book] as an influence for how we are approaching morality" or whatever. Admittedly two of them are Heart of Darkness, but whatever.

I really liked the way Far Cry 2 played that out too. Hopefully we wont fall into the same pitfalls as we do with filming influences, with every game drawing from the same collection of five or six directors.

Which is a roundabout way of saying I hope that this trend is indicative of people with more varied influences coming into lead design positions rather than just those same guys growing up and reading more.

Edit: Not that I dont like Tarantino as an influence, mind you xD

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
still not sure, my phones are flat and broken too so i wont be able to sms anyone. i guess amie once uve booked a table can some one pm me or post here what table u guys are at, should see it before i leave work

Deeku

Hatsune Miku. Why haven't I paid attention to these games?

I guess I'll have to get the Vita one.
Hell! Yeah!

They are awesome music games. Maybe grab Project Diva 2 Extend for psp before to see if you like it, then you don't have to waste like 100 bucks importing a game you don't like. Also check out the miku thread for info/news etc.

It's a slippery slope, first miku music, then the games, then the accessory kits, then the figuers...prepare yourself!

r1chard

Inside is full and outside cant be booked because of the weather. So a few og us will be there early and can get 1 table outside but when more people turn up im not sure what will happen. Someone who was up to date on tje thread should have booked weeks ago.

Rahk

Hell! Yeah!

They are awesome music games. Maybe grab Project Diva 2 Extend for psp before to see if you like it, then you don't have to waste like 100 bucks importing a game you don't like. Also check out the miku thread for info/news etc.

It's a slippery slope, first miku music, then the games, then the accessory kits, then the figuers...prepare yourself!
And then attending hologram concerts with middle aged Japanese men chanting along while doing hand movements?

I've never bought a figure and I don't intend to start now! I'll just stick with the games, thanks.

Not sure if I even like the music. Heard some on YouTube but it never stuck with me. Maybe it will be different if I'm playing the game.

Is the PSP game on the Vita PSN store, JP or otherwise?

IIRC Beer DeLuxe has an undercover area outside in the atrium (not out the front, but around the side). So if inside is busy and bookings can't be made, there may be that option.

If not, rug up!

Edit: I am talking about here:
HHy4Hm.jpg

Rahk

Big Amazon game sale starting July 1st:

Hey guys,

I was going to wait a bit to post these but here are the upcoming deals for the next little bit. We'll continue to roll out stuff from other publishers (hopefully!) throughout the month of July, so stay tuned.

Starting Sunday, July 1st:

1. Max Payne 3 - $29.99 (50% off) – This is the Steam version. 50% runs 7/1-7/4 (end of day 7/4) and will then be 33% off through 7/14
  2. Spec Ops: The Line - $24.99 (50% off) – Steam activate-able – this will run from 7/1-7/14
  3. Syndicate - $14.99 – Origin activate-able – this will run from 7/1-7/14
  4. Bioshock Dual Pack (Bioshock 1 + 2) – $7.49 Steam activate-able – this will run from 7/1-7/14
  5. X-Com Complete Pack – $2.99 - Steam activate-able – this will run from 7/1-7/14
  6. The Darkness II - $12.49 – Steam activate-able – this will run from 7/1-7/14
  7. Rockstar Classics Pack - $14.99 – Steam activate-able – this will run from 7/1-7/14
  8. Crusader Kings II - $9.99 – Steam activate-able – this will run from 7/1-7/14
  9. Plethora of Paradox Games - $19.99 containing (all Steam activateable) runs 7/1-7/7 still building page:
    [*] Crusader Kings II [Download]
    [*] Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields DLC Pack [Online Game Code]
    [*] Crusader Kings II: Mongols DLC Pack [Online Game Code]
    [*] Crusader Kings II: Ruler Designer DLC [Online Game Code]
    [*] Crusader Kings II: Songs of Albion DLC [Online Game Code]
    [*] Crusader Kings II: Songs of Faith DLC [Online Game Code]
    [*] Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land DLC [Online Game Code]
    [*] Magicka Collection [Download]
    [*] Magicka: The Stars Are Left DLC [Online Game Code]
    [*] Majesty Gold [Online Game Code]
    [*] Majesty 2 Collection
    [*] Victoria II [Online Game Code]
    [*] Warlock: Master of the Arcane [Download]​
  10. 10. Plentiful Paradox Package - $12.49 (all are Steam activate-able) runs 7/1-7/7 contains:
  11. a. Crusader Kings II [Download]
  12. b. Magicka Collection [Download]
  13. c. Magicka: The Stars Are Left DLC [Online Game Code]
  14. d. Sword of the Stars - Complete Collection [Online Game Code]
  15. e. Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter [Download]
  16. f. Victoria II [Online Game Code]
  17. 11. Pint Sized Paradox bundle $7.49 (all steam activate-able) runs 7/1-7/7:
  18. a. Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields DLC Pack [Online Game Code]
  19. b. Crusader Kings II: Mongols DLC Pack [Online Game Code]
  20. c. Crusader Kings II: Ruler Designer DLC [Online Game Code]
  21. d. Crusader Kings II: Songs of Albion DLC [Online Game Code]
  22. e. Crusader Kings II: Songs of Faith DLC [Online Game Code]
  23. f. Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land DLC [Online Game Code]
  24. g. Majesty Gold [Online Game Code]
  25. h. Warlock: Master of the Arcane [Download]
  26. i. Majesty 2 Collection
  27. 12. Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition - $7.49 (Steam activate-able) runs 7/1-7/14
  28. 13. Duke Nukem Complete Pack $7.99 (Steam activate-able) runs 7/1-7/14:
  29. a. The base game - Duke Nukem Forever
  30. b. The DLC Pack - Duke Nukem Forever Hail to the Icons Parody Pack DLC
  31. c. And the DLC Pack - The Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC Pack
  32. 14. 2K Strategy Pack - $19.99 – runs 7/1-7/14
  33. a. Sid Meier's Civilization V: Game of the Year Edition [Download]
  34. b. Sid Meiers Civilization IV: The Complete Edition [Download]
  35. c. The Stronghold Collection [Download]
  36. 15. 2K Shooter Pack - $19.99 – runs 7/1-7/14
  37. a. BioShock 2 [Download]
  38. b. BioShock [Download]
  39. c. Borderlands Game of the Year Edition [Download]
  40. d. Duke Nukem Forever Complete Pack [Download]
  41. 16. 2K Mega Pack - $39.99 – runs 7/1-7/14
  42. a. BioShock 2 [Download]
  43. b. BioShock [Download]
  44. c. Borderlands Game of the Year Edition [Download]
  45. d. CivCity: Rome [Download]
  46. e. Duke Nukem Forever Complete Pack [Download]
  47. f. Mafia II [Download]
  48. g. Sid Meier's Civilization V: Game of the Year Edition [Download]
  49. h. Sid Meiers Civilization IV: The Complete Edition [Download]
  50. i. The Stronghold Collection [Download]
  51. 17. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - $29.99 (50% off Steam activate-able) – runs 7/1-7/14

Cheers,
Tony

Deeku

And then attending hologram concerts with middle aged Japanese men chanting along while doing hand movements?
YESSSSSSS!!

nope

Yeah they're all on JP psn.

Also, yeah I don't like the music that much either (I appreciate the concept of a virtual idol more), but the games are fun. Ummm, if music games and unlocking costumes to dress up miku & co isn't your thing, then maybe you won't like it. Do check it out, though.

You're an enabler, deek.
I bet you still haven't bought that dictionary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom