• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

Oh man the screen and interface (imo) on this galaxy s3 puts my iphone 4 to shame, goodbye IOS :D. Now I face the conundrum of replacing my personal phone with another Android OS phone or wait for Windows 8, hmmm :/

Fredescu

I think it is running chrome?

Don't think Chrome will be on there by default. There's a default ICS browser that's different to Chrome.

Chrome sucks for GAF though, there's no way to speed up scrolling yet, so getting to the bottom of a long page (even at 50ppp) sucks. I have five browsers installed at the moment, trying to decide which one I like most. Chrome would be the best if it weren't for the scrolling issue. It's still in beta though, so hopefully they add it.

Salazar

I reckon they'll look awesome with anything, very versatile. Totally worth it!

Hoping the shipping is prompt. It's usually damn fast.

And that "heavyweight shirt" was totally a coat in the first place.

coat9c1kw.jpg

Rezbit

Oh my gosh the new Muse song for the Olympics is the most ridiculous song I've ever heard. The lyrics are so shit and the music is so bombastic. Fuck it's amazing.

I think it is running chrome?

Umm S3 come with chrome installed as main default browser i thought? mine is.
auto synced to my gmail account as soon as i put it in for google play.

Also S3 craps on everything else out atm and what has amazed me the most is how much battery life i get out of it. SOO GOOD

Oh my gosh the new Muse song for the Olympics is the most ridiculous song I've ever heard. The lyrics are so shit and the music is so bombastic. Fuck it's amazing.

if anyone happens to watch the womens water polo for olympics, one of the chicks from our company is competing :D

Jintor

I don't know how but my phone is EATING internal memory. It was on 20mb of free space for months (and that was bad enough) but recently it's just spiked to 40kb free and then everything will crash. The Android interface won't even separate out the apps that are on internal memory so I can't figure out what's ACTUALLY eating everything...

Dead Man

Probably being choc'd here, but bloody hell: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-27/telstra-accused-of-tracking-internet-use/4094692
Telstra has been accused of tracking the internet use of its Next G mobile phone users and sending their internet history to a company in the United States.

One of the telco's customers discovered that when he visited a website using his Next G network in Australia, a server in the United States would visit the same address almost instantly.

Telstra says it is collecting the information for use in a new internet filter product, but internet users are outraged and are demanding the Australian Privacy Commissioner investigate.

The tracking was confirmed by Mark Newton, who up until late last year was one of the longest serving technical engineers at Australian internet company Internode.

When he saw rumours on a network administrator email list that Telstra was sending the URLs from Next G internet use to a company overseas, he set up a test.

"In real time, information about the URL that I was visiting was being sent offshore so that that offshore data centre could then make that second request," he said.

"It means if you go to abc.net.au on your Next G internet connection, both Telstra and the US company knows about it."

I don't know how but my phone is EATING internal memory. It was on 20mb of free space for months (and that was bad enough) but recently it's just spiked to 40kb free and then everything will crash. The Android interface won't even separate out the apps that are on internal memory so I can't figure out what's ACTUALLY eating everything...

Yeah, I had that a while ago, it seemed to fix itself during an update, don't know what it was.

Edit: Re: Asylum seekers. This is shamelessly copied from GetUp, which you may or may not agree with, but it sums up what I was trying to get at yesterday with the deterrent value discussion:
Recent tragedies at sea show that we must find policies that are both humane to asylum seekers, and also reduce dangerous boat journeys. The Government and Opposition are both fixated on enacting their own variants of offshore processing, but we can't stop the boats without addressing why people board them in the first place.

That's why we need a solution that offers a real alternative to asylum seekers who are considering coming by boat to Australia. Many experts in the refugee and migration sector say the best way to do this is by substantially increasing Australia's refugee intake, particularly from countries in our region--like Indonesia and Malaysia--where people are most likely to board a boat to our shores.

Today is a crucial moment. All sides of politics are searching for a new approach: for one that can be agreed on, and passed, by this Parliament.

That's why today, we're putting your voice on Sky News, the station played on most every TV in Parliament House. We're airing an ad that will update each hour as more Australians sign this petition so that when decisions are made today, our politicians have no doubt about where our community stands. Please add your name now, and ask friends and family to do the same:

http://www.getup.org.au/anewapproach

How will increasing the refugee intake help reduce the number of people who risk their lives on dangerous voyages to seek asylum here?

Currently, Australia makes available a very small number of humanitarian visas through official channels in our region. In the 10 months to April this year, Australia granted only 97 refugee visas out of Indonesia. A further 1126 were made available through Malaysia, but 95% of those went to Burmese refugees. So for those fleeing other troubled countries, including Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq, their chances of receiving refuge are slim. Many are left with little choice but to risk their lives on leaky boats.

The policy alternatives are bleak. Experts, including the Immigration Department, tell us that offshore processing in Nauru is unlikely to work; and conditions for asylum seekers in Malaysia are very concerning. What's more, neither proposal can break the deadlock in Parliament: the Coalition will not support the "Malaysian solution", Labor will not support the Coalition's Nauru proposal without Malaysia, and the Greens are staunchly against both.

That's why we need to move to a humane solution that can be implemented right away. Increasing our refugee intake, combined with efforts to improve conditions in transit countries in our region, such as Indonesia and Malaysia, can provide refugees with a genuine alternative to a dangerous boat journey.

http://www.getup.org.au/anewapproach

Incrementally doubling Australia's intake of UNHCR-approved refugees will undermine the business model of people smugglers. Moreover, working with our neighbours to give asylum seekers better human rights protection, freedom from detention, and a sense of security during processing will also help reduce the incentives for asylum seekers to embark on journeys to Australia.

Even worse for you rep if it's 2 weeks away! D:
Spending all my money now while I can!

:O

THIS IS HUGE

A New Zealand High Court judge has ruled that police search warrants used to seize property from Megaupload's founder Kim Dotcom were illegal.
I'm sure they won't let up, they will find some way to fuck them over.

Time to update that wedding registry Steam Wishlist.
Good idea! We aren't even doing anything for the wedding aside from a wishing well since we already have lived together as a family for 2 years.

Hoping the shipping is prompt. It's usually damn fast.

And that "heavyweight shirt" was totally a coat in the first place.
The sweater vest makes that outfit in spite of the ice cream man shirt.

Yeah so good. Much better than expected. Seems they can write some fun stuff when they aren't trying to get on the Twilight soundtrack!

Police incident for the win. Lovely way to end the day.
Hope it isn't too painful on the hip pocket man.

Probably being choc'd here, but bloody hell: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-27/telstra-accused-of-tracking-internet-use/4094692

Yeah, I had that a while ago, it seemed to fix itself during an update, don't know what it was.
Heard about this from a Agyar tweet, shady shit indeed. Glad to be nowhere near Telstra at the moment, aside from the ADSL line provision which is also worrying.

Good idea! We aren't even doing anything for the wedding aside from a wishing well since we already have lived together as a family for 2 years.
Just do it! I bet a lot of your family are just itching to give you stuff! Make a list of stuff you'd like but don't have (like an espresso machine or a still or a Batmobile). Then they'll just buy you what they want anyway.

Choc

Banned
If EVER there was a time for the PM to call an emergency session of parliament and extend the sitting into next week, that time is now.

midonnay

Edit: Re: Asylum seekers. This is shamelessly copied from GetUp, which you may or may not agree with, but it sums up what I was trying to get at yesterday with the deterrent value discussion:

fair point but to put things in perspective, I read on Crikey that its estimated that 500-1000 people drowned trying to get to Australia in the last two years...

There are 270 thousand under detention in Malaysia and who knows how many hundred thousands in Indonesia and Thailand etc...

short of accepting every single one of them, I don't see how anything other than taking Australia off the table as a resettlement option will have any hopes of stopping such tragedies from repeating again.

At the very least it should reduce the numbers trying markedly.

how about they can't leave canberra until this is resolved

there is provisions to do that if its in the national interest
I'd like that, but I can see it now. All sides will stubbornly argue without compromise, and then say 'we would have reached an agreement ages ago if it weren't for those stubborn other parties!' We won't get anywhere until we get some better leaders in.

Choc

Banned
Howards policy worked.

It will probably work again.

edit: the people i blame the most for this entire debacle is the greens. They are not even compromising one iota. At least the Coalition are willing to listen and change things a bit.

They won't agree with malaysia and maybe thats a good thing but at least they have compromised elsewhere. The greens won't compromise 1 bit

For some reason I think Gillard thinks taking the coalitions amendments will be seen as a huge loss for her. The way i see it, it could be a PR win. She comes out and says i put politics aside and did what i could to get this resolved. It's a win. I don't get it

its pure politics now and its disgusting

midonnay

^^^^^the coalition is just as bad really....

but the Greens just piss me off (and I'm a voter who leans more towards the Greens than Labor)

I saw Sarah Hanson Young on TV crying about some refugee she met..... how about the hundreds that are dying at sea for fucks sake >_<

Howards policy worked.

It will probably work again.

According to the peeps on Crikey, it only worked temporarily because the Navy was towing boats back to Indonesia....

Indonesia understandingly was pissed so that probably won't be an option again.

I saw Sarah Hanson Young on TV crying about some refugee she met..... how about the hundreds that are dying at sea for fucks sake.

Yeah, they showed the same clip every second ad break. Seemed like a bit of a publicity stunt =/ though I guess I never got the full context. I really don't like that girl, she was utterly painful to listen to on QandA.

Jintor

From my barely informed viewpoint here as I can't be bothered thinking about things for too long right now, I think I agree with Choc.

So I put my neck out this morning. Spent three hours in the hospital only to be told it was just a muscle cramp.

They prescribed me Valium for the pain. All it does is make me sleepy.

Choc

Banned
what about onshore processing does the greens not get that it wont stop people getting on a boat?

if they are definately going to be processed here they will get on the boat, the point is to stop them wanting to get on that boat!

they have no brains

Yagharek

what about onshore processing does the greens not get that it wont stop people getting on a boat?

if they are definately going to be processed here they will get on the boat, the point is to stop them wanting to get on that boat!

they have no brains

The grim reality of it.

An ocean minefield would be the only other way to stop boats too, but it wouldnt impress anyone at all.

Maybe they just need to have a waiting line in the countries that are the biggest clients of the boat owners?

So I put my neck out this morning. Spent three hours in the hospital only to be told it was just a muscle cramp.

Cold weather man its a fucking killer. Nearly gave myself lockjaw last night just from yawning.

Hurry the fuck up global warming, I can't take another winter of this shit.

midonnay

probably better in the long run...... those pains in the neck usually go away after two or three days. Better than getting addicted to pain killers.

ps: don't get addicted to valium.

Darklord

Banned
Does anyone have an Aliens vs Predator 2 cd key I can use? No where sells it anymore and mine is long done and just have the discs. :\

And for that matter, the fuck isn't AvP2 on steam?

And about to kick a whole lot of public servants.

Huh.

They are just culling the temps and contract workers at the moment. Which to be fair are not guaranteed positions, I know at work they hire and fire temps etc when the mood suits.

Though I can't really seem him stopping at just them. So much for a council/government job being a free ride/un-sackable. Not anymore.

Yagharek

Yeah, this is the thing.

And they seem confused as fuck about what "front-line" services are.

Focused counselling for female and indigenous prisoners got booted. A police beat at Burleigh got booted.

It's like you can just feel it coming.
in the air tonight

Gazunta

Two things.

ONE: START PREPARING FOR BRISBANE SUPANOVA IN NOVEMBER ALREADY - not only will i be there but so will Felicia Day, one of the few people I could still 'geek out' about.

TWO: This story by Mark "Serrells" Serrells is lovely.

THREE: I said there'd only be two things. See this thread again in a day or two as I skip everything else! wheeeeeee

jambo

I am in Melbourne.

Staying on Lygon St in North Carlton, shouldn't be too hard to get to Fed Square right?

Also, anyone else going to Comic-Con this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom