• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to single out THQ here because the game actually looks pretty good (I'll grab it on Wii U most likely) ... but that "Collectors Edition" resembles every other CE that every. single. game.released these days gets.
What would you want in a CE, Vince, that you would consider different? A novelisation of the game (this'd go down well with you, I'm sure)? Metal case? Voucher for a lapdance from the publisher's hot wife? Cloth map? Collectable trading card?

What else can you put in a collector's edition that's unique? Personally I don't buy them at all because I want the game and know I'd never look at any of the other stuff, though I can see why others like them.

Fredescu

The only thing missing is a $20 premium price, which is the only reason I'll forgive THQ in this case. Unless the standard version is $89 in which case they are naughty CE bandwagoners.
That's the PC version, so there's definitely a $20 price premium: http://www.ebgames.com.au/xbox360-156992-Darksiders-II-Collectors-Edition-Xbox-360

That said, who cares if collectors editions are similar? You either want them or you don't. A figurine and hardcover artbook are good things if you're into the game.

Not to single out THQ here because the game actually looks pretty good (I'll grab it on Wii U most likely) ... but that "Collectors Edition" resembles every other CE that every. single. game.released these days gets.

A5-sized 30 page art book with glossy cover and nothing interesting? Check
Statue/replica weapon/statue? Check
Downloadable content unlock keys? Check
Digital soundtrack download? Check

The only thing missing is a $20 premium price, which is the only reason I'll forgive THQ in this case. Unless the standard version is $89 in which case they are naughty CE bandwagoners.

These CEs are so predictable.

witcher2darkedition1.27.12610.jpg

I wish this hadn't sold out of pre-orders :(

The CE situation isn't bad, we get a lot more cool shit than last generation where it was mainly the Japanese publishers giving us cool shit (what happened ATLUS?) the problem if you find the CE stuff irritating is the Special Editions which are just first print runs that in reality just throw in some DLC so that every game now is Syndicate: Special Edition or Mass Effect 3: Inflatable Arm Edition.

So in preparation for the movie I've started reading the Hunger Games, was $5 for a kindle edition so I'm pretty happy.

Gone through a 3rd of it in one day so i guess you can say I'm enjoying it, no spoilers please

Yagharek

What would you want in a CE, Vince, that you would consider different? A novelisation of the game (this'd go down well with you, I'm sure)? Metal case? Voucher for a lapdance from the publisher's hot wife? Cloth map? Collectable trading card?

What else can you put in a collector's edition that's unique? Personally I don't buy them at all because I want the game and know I'd never look at any of the other stuff, though I can see why others like them.

A novelisation would require someone who could write a good story. :p

Metal case? Cliche. Cloth map would be cliche but fits well with Tolkien-appropriating fare that passes for fantasy these days. CTCs dont really fit.

I think my problem is these days, everything has a collectors edition, when few and far between are the games that are actually collectible. These games will be forgotten in a year or two, for the most part.

I can think of a couple of CEs that actually are collectible (in no particular order I should say):
a. Blizzard CEs
b. Majora's Mask CE of which I have seen only photos
c. Working Designs CEs for US PS1 versions of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and its sequel.

Worst CEs I can think of:
a. Halo 3 Cat Hat edition and anything with a mega statue (Killzone, Halo Reach)
b. Halo 2 limited edition steel case
c. Fable 2. Went from physical stuff to DLC codes in the week before launch.

That's the PC version, so there's definitely a $20 price premium: http://www.ebgames.com.au/xbox360-156992-Darksiders-II-Collectors-Edition-Xbox-360

That said, who cares if collectors editions are similar? You either want them or you don't. A figurine and hardcover artbook are good things if you're into the game.

If they're going to do action figures, Deus Ex HR had a decent one of Jensen. Articulate, switchable hands/weapons. Looks kind of like the old MacFarlane MGS2 figures.

witcher2darkedition1.27.12610.jpg

I wish this hadn't sold out of pre-orders :(

The CE situation isn't bad, we get a lot more cool shit than last generation where it was mainly the Japanese publishers giving us cool shit (what happened ATLUS?) the problem if you find the CE stuff irritating is the Special Editions which are just first print runs that in reality just throw in some DLC so that every game now is Syndicate: Special Edition or Mass Effect 3: Inflatable Arm Edition.

I resent "CEs" that do nothing but DLC codes. It's an insult given that all that and more will be available a month later for half the price. Unless the codes Expire eArly. ;)

GET. OFF. MY. LAWN
Access may be granted when you redeem your onlawn pass available with original CE purchase or an extra $8.00. Prices correct at time of whinging.

c. Fable 2. Went from physical stuff to DLC codes in the week before launch.

..... ouch. dirty fuckers.

i shall forever treasure atlus' Demon's Souls deluxe edition with the original finger-print smudging cover on the guide book. (no replacements for non-US customers :( ) The club namco edition of Dark Souls came with a printed map, which was nice if more arty than useful (i may frame it at some point) and a tshirt, which was the entire impetus behind me jumping through a half-dozen hoops to import it.

Apart from the souls games I think the only other collectors edition I have is Far Cry 2, and that's only because at the time it was cheaper than buying the regular edition.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The major thing I dislike about CEs is that they are an upfront cost on a game you haven't actually played. You could easily get darksiders for $50 on PC, Does a mask, artbook and extra DLC really end up being worth an extra $60? Who the fuck knows, You haven't played the game.

Now what if I purchase the game at $50, fall in love with it and want more of that world in any form I can get? Too bad, You didn't buy the CE so no artbook or mask for you.

Why can't I buy that stuff after a game is released on it's own? Why can't I say, Hey cdprojekt, your game was the shit and while I didn't buy the CE since i'm cheap, I would love to own that artbook. Why not offer it for $20 on their own online store or places like amazon? The same goes for just about every other CE out there.

I also wish the darksiders 2 mask was made out of something more awesome than plastic. Something that actually had weight too it, like a proper piece of art. I personally could easily put that in a nice little glass box and throw it on display in the lounge or a game room. It's not too nerdy and when people ask you can simply say it's the mask of death from the 4 horseman of the apocalypse. Sure the young lady might run out of your house but that's ok!

jambo

I hardly ever buy CE's for games, but I did get the BioShock one for PC back in the day, with the little Big Daddy statue.

sdszD.jpg

Love it.

Why can't I buy that stuff after a game is released on it's own? Why can't I say, Hey cdprojekt, your game was the shit and while I didn't buy the CE since i'm cheap, I would love to own that artbook. Why not offer it for $20 on their own online store or places like amazon? The same goes for just about every other CE out there.

I also wish the darksiders 2 mask was made out of something more awesome than plastic. Something that actually had weight too it, like a proper piece of art. I personally could easily put that in a nice little glass box and throw it on display in the lounge or a game room. It's not too nerdy and when people ask you can simply say it's the mask of death from the 4 horseman of the apocalypse. Sure the young lady might run out of your house but that's ok!

You could have bought the Dark Edition of TW2 on 360 while it was up for pre-order! Worked out to be around $70 I think. Devastated that I couldn't afford it until it was sold out.

I do agree that more direct buying would be great. Irrational and Rockstar do have their own stores for that kind of thing.

Also Book Depository gets great art books and guides.

Plastic Mask? Well that sucks.

CollectorsEdition.org is pretty good for tracking CE's

Yagharek

I hardly ever buy CE's for games, but I did get the BioShock one for PC back in the day, with the little Big Daddy statue.

sdszD.jpg

Love it.

One day I'm going to tear my bioshock figure apart, mechanise the drill bit and get it to attack the duke nukem forever balls of steel statue.

You know what a good artbook is?

The Art of Oddworld: The First Ten Years.

I picked up a leatherbound + numbered + certificate edition last year through these guys (based in South Australia of all places)

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/oddworld/

They have some pretty good artbooks for all sorts of games too.
A little too expensive for me though. Would love one of those Uncharted 2 art books.

OK, I will fix it for you, Witcher 2 on anything but PC does not compute...for me ;)

P.S. I played it with a 360 controller :)
Triple dipping to support them branching out into consoles. Plus the Dark Edition looked awesome, at least the regular edition still comes with some great extras for a low low price.

360 version looks incredible though considering it is their first console game.

senahorse

Triple dipping to support them branching out into consoles. Plus the Dark Edition looked awesome, at least the regular edition still comes with some great extras for a low low price.

360 version looks incredible though considering it is their first console game.

Yeah I was just having a dig, if I couldn't play it on PC I wouldn't hesitate picking up the 360 version, it does look nice.

senahorse

Evil Dead, Book of the Dead edition.

The cover of the book is made from latex and there is even a suggestion to put it in the fridge for a while to make it feel more like human flesh (what the book in the movie is made out of). It also has all the pages from the book used in the movie.

If anything it's a great conversation piece.

Shaneus

They won't touch that site for about six months now, they don't know when to sell tix until the dates are decided and that isn't usually until about September they set the calendar
Not quite true, as you can only get the gold GP Advantage (basically extra access to a few areas) if you order before August... or July. It's not far off, either way (relatively speaking).

shane did you see these @ the track?

F1DataUnit-640x360.jpg
Had one! Specifically, hired the G2 as that's the only one you can rent... that's the G3, which is only available for purchase (but largely pointless because I'm pretty sure the only thing it's used for in Australia is the GP). Only difference I think is the ability to pick 3 favourite drivers over 1, and maybe something else? The favourite driver designation is basically an alert whenever an onboard cam is available or anything notable (position change, fastest lap) happens. Great device, very worth it for the on-the-fly stats as well as having access to the BBC audio stream. Extra camera views are the icing on the cake (the helmet cam is AMAZING).

So people go the the GP to watch it on a handheld screen

Went to Melbourne a couple of years back. The ambience was amazing and I enjoyed it immensely for that, but we could hardly see the TV from our seats and for the majority of the weekend, I had no idea who was where in what position, who qualified on pole, who was punching in fastest sectors etc.. As a whole, the experience was pretty dull (compared to home where I'm watching on the big screen with the live timing on a laptop next to me).

Something like that would have been great to have trackside. Best of both worlds!

Yagharek

I'm currently losing 10-0 to the office mouse/mice.

Their crimes:

1. Shitting all over the kitchen sink/clean dishes and pissing all over them
2. Stealing nesting supplies from the 1st aid kit (cotton buds) and chewing through eye pads and previously sterile gauze/bandages packaging out of spite.
3. Shitting on the keyboard

Their victories:

1. Successfully defused 3 mousetraps laden with dried apricot
2. Defused them again (on a finer trigger) with more apricot
3. Defused them a third time with scattered sultanas around the traps to encourage a longer stay
4. Set one of the traps on a finer trigger to get my thumb when I went to replace the food.

That makes it 10-0 by my count.

The three traps are set again - this time with peanut butter on the pad so that they stay a while (stay forever) and lick it. If they can survive that, I'm going to find a dugite to live in the office and eat them.

But then you have cats stealing your cheeseburgers out of the fridge Midonnay. Plus they poop bigger.

Ive already fed them enough. Food isnt the problem, their fine sense of traps is.

You lace the cheese with poison. Maybe even soak it in Tobasco and sprinkle some cayenne pepper in there too just to rub their imminent death in their face.

Yagharek

Pro Evo 2012 3DS is the worst game in the series.

Difficulty is fucked. Players from the other team shunt you off the ball. If I get tackled, they get the ball. If they get tackled, they keep the ball. If I pass the ball, they get the ball. If they pass the ball, I cant touch it for 5 minutes. Even if it's fucking "Lancashire" they still run rings around me.

I nearly stomped on the game cart its that fucking infuriating.

Wii version is fine. But whomever coded the 3DS version needs to be forced to play Imagine Babyz every day of their miserable lives until their eyes fall out.

Jake.

hey du's, i haven't played/been interested in videogames for several years now. i found a bunch of DS games in mint condition that i'd like to get rid of - i know i won't get much, but which is the 'best' store to offload them at? could i expect $10 a game or something? i live in adelaide.

Jake.

mario kart DS.
osu! tatakae! ouendan! (japanese).
starfox command.
trauma centre: under the knife (US import).
bleach DS (japanese).

not really sure what to do with the japanese games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom