• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
currently at the natural history museum.

been smilling the whole time. so good.

started with dinosaurs, going to end with trilobites. cant wait

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bought SotD at full price on release. Would do the same for another one, will do so for Lollipop Chainsaw, and pretty much anything from Grasshopper. Yes yes please.

Question: my 'droid has, for seemingly no reason, stopped connecting to the internet. I can message and send calls fine, but data itself is having an issue. Facebook and Twitter apps wont work, and neither will my browser, each reporting connectivity issues. Gmail I think is able to collect updated emails and load text, but won't load images.

I've got data (topped up today, in fact), and don't recall setting anything unusual. It was working last night, and today has stopped. Anybody have any tips?

Jintor

I probably can't legitimately complain about the Dolphin emulator randomly crashing for no fucking reason all the time necessitating that I save like a madman every 10 minutes, but it's pretty goddamn aggravating.

Deeku

I probably can't legitimately complain about the Dolphin emulator randomly crashing for no fucking reason all the time necessitating that I save like a madman every 10 minutes, but it's pretty goddamn aggravating.
At least you can save anywhere, and does it pretty quickly too! Imagine if it was a save point game:eek:

I was in Steam chat and pretty much lost my shit when I found out. Already smashed a 185g bag today. Not bringing all the old flavours back I don't think, just bringing back the chilli.

Honey ham is back as well. They were my 2 favourites anyway. It sucked losing chilli because no one else really makes chilli without either being sweet chilli, chilli and sour cream etc. So there was no replacement. I already had a whole pack as well.

Rezbit

Would you believe Smiths are now making a Kettle/Red Rock style chip, and one of the flavours is CHILLI?! Unbelievable, still haven't tried it though. Will probably be terrible.

Would you believe Smiths are now making a Kettle/Red Rock style chip, and one of the flavours is CHILLI?! Unbelievable, still haven't tried it though. Will probably be terrible.

If it's plain chilli i am willing to give it a shot. I doubt it can compare to the greatness of Kettle chillis though.

Jesus Christ at the response to the Freedom of Information filing...

"Disclosure of the documents while the negotiations are still in process, would, in my view, prejudice, hamper and impede those negotiations to an unacceptable degree," wrote [Attorney-General’s Department senior legal officer] Purcell. That would, in my view, be contrary to the interests of good government -- which would, in turn, be contrary to the public interest."

Danoss

I've recently backed this Kickstarter project that keeps getting bigger and bigger. It started out as a pulp-fiction novel set in the Spirit of the Century RPG universe. It has now reached multiple stretch goals to become a full trilogy of novels. Check out Dinocalypse Now.

Now those above stretch goals have been met, they have added 2 new stretch goals for another 2 novels. The first of these, which should be reached soon, offers a novel written by Brian Clevinger of Atomic Robo fame (who also has a Kickstarter for an Atomic Robo short movie). The Atomic Robo comic is really cool by the way, so give it a look if you haven't yet.

The amazing thing about it? The first tier is $10 and includes ALL novels offered by the Kickstarter project in ebook format. That's seriously good value, and why I love Kickstarter, and Evil Hat Productions, the company behind this. If you have a Kindle and want to try something new or different, get on it.

Rahk

Board games still on Sunday or should we reschedule to next week since Jintor can't make it and Clipper is getting over a cold? Friend just asked if I want to do something, but I can see them next week if it's still on.

Shaneus

You can get them at Costco. A friend at work brought in a big bag of them.
Wait... *actual* Ruffles? I have a feeling they may be imports from NZ or something because I'm sure they're not made here at all (and if they were, they'd be available pretty much everywhere). That's it, I'm signing up to Costco and stopping off after work. God damn.

Nice one Cods, that is the best 4-bay NAS. It can actually be a 5-bay NAS if you want it to be, 6-bay if you put e-SATA to use.
I'm thinking of picking it up (mainly for backups of my data, including a lot of photos, RAW+JPG takes a lot of space!), even though I have a 5-bay Synology doing a perfectly good job. Anyone know what the normal price for these things is?

Edit: The price isn't that much better elsewhere: http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=HP+MicroServer+N40L&spos=3

Board games still on Sunday or should we reschedule to next week since Jintor can't make it and Clipper is getting over a cold? Friend just asked if I want to do something, but I can see them next week if it's still on.

I'd be for pushing it back a week. At some point Sunday I'm going to be meeting up with my group to work on a presentation for Monday morning as a result of conflicting schedules. Next week on the other hand is a bit more of a blank space assessment-wise.

Danoss

I'm thinking of picking it up (mainly for backups of my data, including a lot of photos, RAW+JPG takes a lot of space!), even though I have a 5-bay Synology doing a perfectly good job. Anyone know what the normal price for these things is?

Edit: The price isn't that much better elsewhere: http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=HP+MicroServer+N40L&spos=3

It's a great server, perfect for many things, especially if you run VMWare ESXi on it. My mate bought one and runs his IP PBX on it as well as using it for storage.

I want one when I can afford it to store my photos, though I haven't been regularly shooting, which disappoints me. I have a separate unit for my IP PBX which uses 6W of power at peak, which it never hits; most of the time it sits on idle or close to it, even with phone calls taking place.

May I ask why you use RAW+JPG? I don't know many people who do, as most areas outside professional photography don't call for its use. The only reason I am aware of is that the JPG is for immediate transfer to clients as there is no time for editing before they demand to see the file, though editing of the RAW file occurs later. (Note that I'm not picking, I'm just curious).

May I ask why you use RAW+JPG? I don't know many people who do, as most areas outside professional photography don't call for its use. The only reason I am aware of is that the JPG is for immediate transfer to clients as there is no time for editing before they demand to see the file, though editing of the RAW file occurs later. (Note that I'm not picking, I'm just curious).
The use of RAW is obvious; most of my shooting is done which travelling, and transferring from the camera via a netbook to an external HDD. As a backup, I copy all the JPGs onto the netbook (it doesn't have space to store the RAW+JPG) and since the netbook is a bit underpowered, it allows me to actually look at the photos while travelling.

Plus I have the storage at home so the extra space isn't a real problem, and Lightroom treats them as one image so I'm OK with keeping them all.

Danoss

Makes sense and is fair enough Cods. What camera are you shooting on currently?

My 7D is frowning heavily at me from its corner for not using it enough. I grabbed it the other day to nab a shot of one of the nuisance feral cats we have around my place. I missed the shot because it decided to forget the micro AF adjustment for my Sigma 30/1.4, which front focuses on this body without it.

Makes sense and is fair enough Cods. What camera are you shooting on currently?

My 7D is frowning heavily at me from its corner for not using it enough. I grabbed it the other day to nab a shot of one of the nuisance feral cats we have around my place. I missed the shot because it decided to forget the micro AF adjustment for my Sigma 30/1.4, which front focuses on this body without it.
My camera is doing exactly the same thing. It's a 7D with a Canon 24-105 f/4 L lens. Thinking about going after a 17-40 L instead as I prefer the wider side of things.

I've recently backed this Kickstarter project that keeps getting bigger and bigger. It started out as a pulp-fiction novel set in the Spirit of the Century RPG universe. It has now reached multiple stretch goals to become a full trilogy of novels. Check out Dinocalypse Now.

Now those above stretch goals have been met, they have added 2 new stretch goals for another 2 novels. The first of these, which should be reached soon, offers a novel written by Brian Clevinger of Atomic Robo fame (who also has a Kickstarter for an Atomic Robo short movie). The Atomic Robo comic is really cool by the way, so give it a look if you haven't yet.

The amazing thing about it? The first tier is $10 and includes ALL novels offered by the Kickstarter project in ebook format. That's seriously good value, and why I love Kickstarter, and Evil Hat Productions, the company behind this. If you have a Kindle and want to try something new or different, get on it.
Awesome, I'm in for $10 for some more .mobi goodness. Especially since I love the pitch!

Danoss

My camera is doing exactly the same thing. It's a 7D with a Canon 24-105 f/4 L lens. Thinking about going after a 17-40 L instead as I prefer the wider side of things.

First time the camera has done that to me, though I admit to not using it a whole lot. It remembered the micro AF settings for the other lens I have used it on, it just forgot it for the 30/1.4.

I've got the 24-105/4L too and don't use it at all. The 17-40L is a nice lens, though the f/4 is a bit limiting. I ended up grabbing the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and couldn't be happier. It's a cheaper lens ($322+PP at DWI), it's faster (and more versatile because of that), and the quality is great for the price. I'd seriously recommend giving it a look, it's a great walk-around lens at a great price.

Awesome, I'm in for $10 for some more .mobi goodness. Especially since I love the pitch!

High five for you my friend! That pitch was gold, it shows the pulpy goodness so well.

Omikron

God damn Canon people. You guys need to upgrade to a real camera. ;P

That said, we have really been hankering for a wide angle lens at some point, we have a nice all round 24-80 and a nice fast 50mm (f1.4) for portraiture stuff. But need that wide angle gloriousness.

I have not eaten kettles chips in aaaages. I never really liked them though. They were too oily, flavour always seemed too strong, and the chips were always like a scrunched up piece of paper that would cut the shit out of my mouth.

I think they had a pepper flavoured that was ok.

This is my only problem with them. Still love them however.

First time the camera has done that to me, though I admit to not using it a whole lot.
I meant the camera's sadly staring at me, and not the focusing issue you had. The 24-105 f/4 L is great because it focuses quickly, quietly, and because the focus ring doesn't have a clutch means you can leave it on auto focus and just override if easily if you want.

I'll look into the Tamron 17-50/2.8 too, thanks.

God damn Canon people. You guys need to upgrade to a real camera. ;P
Don't see too many Nikons on the sidelines at sporting matches. :p

That said, we have really been hankering for a wide angle lens at some point, we have a nice all round 24-80 and a nice fast 50mm (f1.4) for portraiture stuff. But need that wide angle gloriousness.
Yeah I have pretty much the same setup, and wider would be more useful for me than more zoom. Though more zoom does allow for nicer bokeh when wide open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom