• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's purely for gaming the 16GB RAM probably won't get used. Given that RAM's so cheap, bumping it down to 8GB probably won't give you much money to spend elsewhere though. Maybe on an SSD, but probably not.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It's an odd time to buy a PC right now.

As fred has mentioned, The 580GTX will be old hat very soon with the release of the 680GTX, If you're an nvidia fan that is.

Rumours have it in April and maybe even early april (like the 8th or so) Ivy Bridge should ship to retail. Prices could be totally fucked though since it's new tech, along with the pricing for the 680 but it will be an increase in performance over what's currently on offer. Ivy bridge is meant to be 30ish % quicker over current Intel offerings. That's all heresy and rumours though since there's still no reviews.

Patience might be the best option for the next 2 weeks unless you really need a new rig.

jambo

As fred has mentioned, The 580GTX will be old hat very soon with the release of the 680GTX, If you're an nvidia fan that is.

Come on now, don't be silly. The second best NVIDIA card from the previous gen is in no way "very old hat." It will still be able to run most new games at 1920x1080 just fine.

Fredescu

Come on now, don't be silly. The second best NVIDIA card from the previous gen is in no way "very old hat." It will still be able to run most new games at 1920x1080 just fine.
It's just a colloquial way of saying superseded. In a matter of weeks, the price he is paying for that GTX580 will get him something better. In suggesting patience, cookie is right, as always.

Rumours have it in April and maybe even early april (like the 8th or so) Ivy Bridge should ship to retail. Prices could be totally fucked though since it's new tech, along with the pricing for the 680 but it will be an increase in performance over what's currently on offer. Ivy bridge is meant to be 30ish % quicker over current Intel offerings. That's all heresy and rumours though since there's still no reviews.

Patience might be the best option for the next 2 weeks unless you really need a new rig.

Of course this happens when i'm ready to get a new pc!
Ahh well guess i can get more money in the next 2 weeks. haha

Thanks for the advice, i shall be patient and see what happens. I will be sticking with the 580 more than likely but if it gets cheaper thats just better for me. might get a new case or SSD then.

Shaneus

Is there any word on how the 680 performs against the equivalent ATI, in SLI and singular? I know they traditionally run with higher power draw and aren't as good overclockers (I think) but maybe that's changed with this new series.

Edit: Nevermind, just checked the thread.

I'm hoping the 660Ti can get a sizeable upgrade over the 560Ti (and respectively my 460) as that should be the sweet spot for cost vs. capability for me.

I only run one monitor at 1920x1080 so I would expect it to fly along for the next few years since my 460 is still holding strong at high settings so far.

RE reviews: Toms Hardware had some benchmarks that seem to be bullshit. Lots of talk about NVIDIA being better than AMD but no solid proof yet. Reviews won't be far away, hoping Anandtech doing another great feature.

cguLb.gif

jambo

Is there any word on how the 680 performs against the equivalent ATI, in SLI and singular? I know they traditionally run with higher power draw and aren't as good overclockers (I think) but maybe that's changed with this new series.

Edit: Nevermind, just checked the thread.

There are leaked Toms Hardware benches, but not sure if they're legit.

EDIT: Dammit you edited.

senahorse

Yeah I personally don't see the point in upgrading at the moment. On top of what you have mentioned most games on PC that require any type of grunt are console ports. There are a small handful of games coming out this year that will will really benefit on an upgrade and if you have a recent build (last 2 years) there is probably no point.

My personal plan now is to wait till the next consoles come out before I upgrade (next year?)

Having said that if you are aiming to go to a higher resolution by all means upgrade.

Shaneus

ZOMG! BARGRINS! LOGS YOU DUN IT AGAEMS!
F25t1.png

SSX on 360 for $53!!!
Metal Gear Solid HD COllection on PS3/360 for $40!!!
COD Black Ops on 360/PS3 for $32!!
Sonic Generations on PS3/360 for $20!!!!!
Binary Domain on PS3/360 for $34!!!! LA BAMBA before the PC BAMBA!!!
WDC 2008 on 360 for $9!!!
Raving Rabbids 15cm plush for $10!!!
Damn, Binary Domain's tempting for that price, even with the pending PC release. Was April it's official announcement date or date of release?

Also, where did that header pic come from? It reminds me of something that would be from a cutesy version of Star Control.

Damn, Binary Domain's tempting for that price, even with the pending PC release. Was April it's official announcement date or date of release?

Also, where did that header pic come from? It reminds me of something that would be from a cutesy version of Star Control.

April 6th indeed

It is from one of the old RPS bargain roundups. They change the image all the time but I thought it was cute and know you guys don't bother reading my posts so hopefully a colourful image will draw your attention.

:(

Also of note is that in the recent GI issue I Am Alive was still listed PS3/360/PC while Binary Domain was only PS3/360. Very strange.

Jintor

I don't know why I'm getting so angry over this whole ME3 debacle. I wasn't really even all that invested in the series that much, and I was well prepared to go "Well, that was shit" at the end of ME3 and wander off to do something else. But the relentless pounding by both sides on the issue is polarising me or something and making me go insane.

Of course this happens when i'm ready to get a new pc!
Ahh well guess i can get more money in the next 2 weeks. haha

Thanks for the advice, i shall be patient and see what happens. I will be sticking with the 580 more than likely but if it gets cheaper thats just better for me. might get a new case or SSD then.

The 5xx series is certainly coming down in price.
http://www.centrecom.com.au/game//?s=gainward_special

I don't know why I'm getting so angry over this whole ME3 debacle. I wasn't really even all that invested in the series that much, and I was well prepared to go "Well, that was shit" at the end of ME3 and wander off to do something else. But the relentless pounding by both sides on the issue is polarising me or something and making me go insane.

How did you feel when you started playing DA2 and realised it was a pile of shit? Bioware certainly didn't come out and admit they dropped the ball on that one either.

They are entitled to pretend like they are Kings of Quality in the industry if they want. People were pissed off over DA2 and now there is even more vocal outrage over ME3. Either they keep pointing to the Metacritic or they have a good look at themselves and decide maybe they can create their next game without stirring up their fanbase.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
There are leaked Toms Hardware benches, but not sure if they're legit.

EDIT: Dammit you edited.

They might not be legit since there was some issues with the ATi benchmarks listed. Unless there was money hatting involved, it looks to be somewhat fake or they really just fucked up.

For example, not actual fps figure since they are buried somewhere in that thread. The original FPS for say dirt 3 on a 7970 when it was first reviewed was 78 however it's listed in the 680 review as only getting 63. Shit like that seems to have cropped up in regards to toms benchmarks.

Yagharek

How did you feel when you started playing DA2 and realised it was a pile of shit? Bioware certainly didn't come out and admit they dropped the ball on that one either.

They are entitled to pretend like they are Kings of Quality in the industry if they want. People were pissed off over DA2 and now there is even more vocal outrage over ME3. Either they keep pointing to the Metacritic or they have a good look at themselves and decide maybe they can create their next game without stirring up their fanbase.

It goes back much further than DA2.

Well I would include Jade Empire as a massive disappointment too. Aside from that they have been pretty damn good. I still love all 3 Mass Effects though, and DA Origins was great too aside from some recycling and some bland Bethesdalike moments.

Yagharek

Taken!

Fair enough too, although it was a new IP. I don't know if people were "angry" about it were they? Perhaps about it being console exclusive for a time.

I think the infamous "9.9" review set everyone's expectations too high (including mine). It also seems to be the point where Bioware began to assume that they could do no wrong. And here we are in March 2012 where their biggest series to date is getting hammered by fans for having a shit ending.

I think there's something in that for all of us.

I played Mass Effect 1 and it had the worst side quests in the history of sidequests, so boring and repetitive, same buildings same looking planets.
Blergh

Never picked the series up again after that, I couldn't even finish the game

Fredescu

I played Mass Effect 1 and it had the worst side quests in the history of sidequests, so boring and repetitive, same buildings same looking planets.
Blergh

Never picked the series up again after that, I couldn't even finish the game
That was exactly my reaction. My RPG instincts of clearing out all the side quests and exploring everywhere I could made me hate ME1 the first time around. I finished it on the third attempt. If you forget it's an RPG and play it as a linear shooter, the second half isn't bad.

Jintor

I didn't play DA2. I liked DA:O, but not enough to outright buy DA2, especially with the reaction it was getting in the press and by the fans. Besides, I think I was Witching it up around then.

I have to say I didn't particularly care for Witcher 2 either. But I did like Jade Empire (though not for any reason I can recall. Probably just because it was an RPG set in faux China, which is pretty fucking novel)

jambo

Yeah I hardly touched the side quests after doing a few in ME1, pretty much stuck with the main story for the last three quarters of my play through.

Yagharek

Ssshhh, that doesn't fit in to Vince's story.

"Well if you look at the Metacritic average ...." [/Bioware apologist]

Also, if that were the case that they dropped JE2 because of reception, then how do you explain them making DA3 given the piece of shit that DA2 was held to be?

Fredescu

how do you explain them making DA3 given the piece of shit that DA2 was held to be?
I explain it by DA:O being decent. Also, I think Bioware have the virtual romance crowd on lockdown now to the point that the setting really doesn't matter as long as the characters are fanfic worthy. They might as well make games out of recent IPs.

Jintor

One day the Bioware Romance crowd will discover visual novels that don't suck and Bioware will explode

Actually, nah, that probably won't happen

jambo

Also, if that were the case that they dropped JE2 because of reception, then how do you explain them making DA3 given the piece of shit that DA2 was held to be?

Well they came out and said that they had cancelled that unannounced expansion pack for DA2 because they wanted to talk to the community, so it looks like they are trying to do something about it.

Yagharek

I explain it by DA:O being decent. Also, I think Bioware have the virtual romance crowd on lockdown now to the point that the setting really doesn't matter as long as the characters are fanfic worthy. They might as well make games out of recent IPs.

Maybe they should just get Travellers Tales to make their next game for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom