• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Is that basically a mini computer? Any idea if it would handle, say, decoding 1080p movies?

If you chuck a cheapo video card in it should do the trick.

I'd mainly use it as a downloading box, so any computer or laptop in the house could access it and queue stuff up.

I have not eaten kettles chips in aaaages. I never really liked them though. They were too oily, flavour always seemed too strong, and the chips were always like a scrunched up piece of paper that would cut the shit out of my mouth.
I found that Red Rock Deli is on the perfect point of being fresh and crunchy just short of being able to hurt my mouth while Kettle was also a delicate chomp for me to avoid cutting everything up.

Plus RRD taste so much better.

:)

It's basically a mini computer, but won't do 1080p without, as Jambo mentioned, upgrading using a low profile card. If you're prepared to wait, and just want it to play videos, get a Raspberry Pi, since that will decode 1080p, is tiny (TINY!) and only 50ish bucks.

Apparently they'll have 1000 of those and 100 had already been ordered by 9am this morning. There's probably not many left. Think I'll pass as I don't really need it.

Danoss

God damn Canon people. You guys need to upgrade to a real camera. ;P

That said, we have really been hankering for a wide angle lens at some point, we have a nice all round 24-80 and a nice fast 50mm (f1.4) for portraiture stuff. But need that wide angle gloriousness.

Nikon snob I presume? :p

There are a number of great wide angle lenses out there for you to choose from. I have the Canon 10-22, which won't be much use to you, though it is a great lens. Depending on your budget and needs, there will be a nice wide angle waiting for you.

The lenses I'd look at would be:
  • Sigma 8-16
  • Sigma 10-20
  • I'd put a Nikkor lens here, but I know nothing about them
I'd lean more towards the Sigma 8-16 myself as that extra 2mm is huge and very valuable at the wide end. If you want more reach, zoom with your feet. 8mm is godly, especially since the price difference is so small.

The bonus with buying Sigma is that you can shop around online (DWI is fantastic) and call CR Kennedy, the Australian distributor, and tell them you found better elsewhere. They'll match the price and arrange it to be picked up at a camera store near you, full Australian warranty included.

I meant the camera's sadly staring at me, and not the focusing issue you had. The 24-105 f/4 L is great because it focuses quickly, quietly, and because the focus ring doesn't have a clutch means you can leave it on auto focus and just override if easily if you want.

Ah, righto, easy to misread. The Tamron focuses quickly, but not quietly, you'll forget the noise soon enough, it's worth the sacrifice. It doesn't have full time manual though, so don't spin the focus ring in auto focus or you'll be crying.

Don't see too many Nikons on the sidelines at sporting matches. :p

The D3s had a lot of sports shooters jumping ship to Nikon, though the Canon 1DX is very drool-worthy. The impact the D3s had in Australia is minimal, since Nikon is so poorly managed over here. That's why you'll still see predominantly Canon shooters at sporting events.

Haha. Just about all much of a muchness at the high end. ;) We have always had Nikon's so just stuck with it for compatibility.

As for Bokeh, that's why we love the 50mm, is amazing. -> http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5014af.htm

I find the best rule when choosing a brand is mostly "shoot what your friends shoot". You can use their help, advice and also their gear. Both Canon and Nikon are so close (except in the macro game) that it really doesn't matter what you choose, hence that rule.

I find that 50mm is a bit too much on a crop camera, rendering it almost useless indoors. That's why I went for the Sigma 30/1.4, once the crop factor is added, it equates to a 48mm lens. This focal length is very usable in many situations. The main draw card of the 50mm lens is that it is the cheapest lens to make as the optics required for it are easy and cheap to manufacture (I do have the 50mm/1.8, it was under $100, you have to own one at that price).

Re: K-Rock, please don't listen to his advice, he really is a drop-kick. On the updated 50mm lens page, he can be seen saying

K-Rock said:
I never use hoods. I'd leave it in the box.

I'd leave a 58mm Nikon Clear (NC - UV) filter, or a 58mm Hoya Super HMC UV on the lens at all times. I would leave the dinky hood at home.

This is the exact opposite of what you should be doing. Lens hoods reduce lens flare and protect your lens; UV filters make lens flare worse, reduce image quality and add some protection from flying objects to the front lens element. Unless shit is flying at your lens, leave the UV filter at home and keep that lens hood on. On the rare occasion you need the UV filter, you need it and the lens hood.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Is that basically a mini computer? Any idea if it would handle, say, decoding 1080p movies?

I have the n40l and have no issues streaming 1080p across the network.

It probably could decode and even transcode but it's still better to buy a low profile gpu to do all that work. There's a big thread of the n40l over on ocau that would have which cards are good for the job.

The downside of the n40l is that it doesn't seem to support 4TB drives which is a shame. Unless they pump out a bios update I guess or you use some raid card, I'd that's even possible.

Danoss

Yeah, we have the 'entry level' full frame d700 (essentially d3 in smaller body), so the 50mm makes perfect sense for us. :)

Nice one! That's perfect for you then.

I eventually want to step up to the full frame game (the 5DmkIII looks amazing), but that's quite some time away as I have some digital-only lenses that need to be changed to ones that suit full frame. It's an expensive endeavour, that's for sure.

I'll also have to be using my camera a hell of a lot more than I am now to justify the expense.

It's basically a mini computer, but won't do 1080p without, as Jambo mentioned, upgrading using a low profile card. If you're prepared to wait, and just want it to play videos, get a Raspberry Pi, since that will decode 1080p, is tiny (TINY!) and only 50ish bucks.

Apparently they'll have 1000 of those and 100 had already been ordered by 9am this morning. There's probably not many left. Think I'll pass as I don't really need it.

I can't even imagine what Raspberry Pi could possibly be used for to the average consumer. Can I somehow use it as a tiny server or something? I've been looking for a low power-consumption server for downloading from usenet.

Shaneus

I have the n40l and have no issues streaming 1080p across the network.

It probably could decode and even transcode but it's still better to buy a low profile gpu to do all that work. There's a big thread of the n40l over on ocau that would have which cards are good for the job.

The downside of the n40l is that it doesn't seem to support 4TB drives which is a shame. Unless they pump out a bios update I guess or you use some raid card, I'd that's even possible.
Yeah, I was thinking of it more as a media/TV output device as opposed to using it for streaming. I have the Thecus for that ;) Didn't realise (have since looked it up) that it has room for a GPU, so basically I guess all you'd need is something small enough to fit. If it has room for a HDTV decoder as well, it'd be perfect.

Edit: Hey, does anyone think that book Kickstarter thing that Danoss posted earlier could be good to suggest to the Idle Thumbs guys for their book club? It's cheap and supports awesome ideas, so it could be feasible.

Rahk

Hey, That's the one I have!

Lets see how many the supplier has available.... 0 with an ETA of 19 days.

X3N / Rahk - I take it the cable price includes the phone line rental you need from telstra?

I'm wondering if it's actually cheaper to go cable since our phone line is with telstra anyway along with mobile phones.

Yeah, check the bundles on the Bigpond site. Should be $88 for 200GB. We got it for $78 due to a special promo which is now over. Although I get the feeling it wasn't applied...

I can't even imagine what Raspberry Pi could possibly be used for to the average consumer. Can I somehow use it as a tiny server or something? I've been looking for a low power-consumption server for downloading from usenet.
It'd probably do SABnzbd stuff no problems, but you'd have to use external storage which might be a pain since I think it's only USB.

It'd be great for a HTPC type device that streams data over your network. It's intended as a small, low power computing device for any situation that could be warranted and also largely for learning, though the tech geeks are more interested at this stage.

Wait... *actual* Ruffles? I have a feeling they may be imports from NZ or something because I'm sure they're not made here at all (and if they were, they'd be available pretty much everywhere). That's it, I'm signing up to Costco and stopping off after work. God damn.

They're imported from the USA IIRC.

It'd probably do SABnzbd stuff no problems, but you'd have to use external storage which might be a pain since I think it's only USB.

That would work fine with me, I have a 500gb external I don't use anymore since finishing uni so I could use that as the data-storage for sab. Awesome. I might look into buying one of these, especially since it's so cheap and I could run it off a power-adapter to USB.

Clipper

SydGAF Board Gamers, I missed Donc's post earlier that he can't make it on Sunday. That leaves us with 3 (Danoss, Rahk, me). Do we perhaps want to postpone to April 1 to improve attendance? Jintor, are you available then?

Edit: And I just noticed Rahk's posts too, so I'd say it's probably best to postpone for everyone, yeah?

Shaneus

They're imported from the USA IIRC.
809otbvlvkeod766zhj.jpg

Jintor

SydGAF Board Gamers, I missed Donc's post earlier that he can't make it on Sunday. That leaves us with 3 (Danoss, Rahk, me). Do we perhaps want to postpone to April 1 to improve attendance? Jintor, are you available then?

Edit: And I just noticed Rahk's posts too, so I'd say it's probably best to postpone for everyone, yeah?

Good for then, but then not available for like a month afterwards.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have my N40L running at 35w with an ssd as my downloads drive. Playing something probably bumps that up to around 45 on a single hdd since i'm using 3TB 7200rpm drives.

Which isn't too bad considering my main rig that I was using before was 90w on idle.

Mmmm finally lunch time. Last nights indian rice thingy mum made, it's actually awesome.

Danoss

No problems here, I can make it on the 1st. Maybe BanShunsaku can make it then too.

Clipper

Good for then, but then not available for like a month afterwards.

OK, Sydgaf 4: Board Games 3 is now officially on April 1, people! No fooling :p. 10am AEST (which will feel like 11 due to the lack of daylight savings, which ends that morning).

No problems here, I can make it on the 1st. Maybe BanShunsaku can make it then too.
Good stuff. I've already PM'd him ;).

We have the other 5 regulars all confirmed now, yay!

Clipper

To whet the appetites of SydGAF board gamers for next week, we are going to have one big stack of cards if we put all these in:
photo-90.jpg

Unfortunately, one of the promo cards and one of the bookmarks are unusable unless we buy more products (grrr) but it will be interesting if I ever am forced to use the 'Bookmark of Sparkly Good Monster Mayhem!'...

Stackboy

Love munchkin. Plan on meeting Steve Jackson at PAX East and personally thanking him for its creation. And also purchase plenty of Munchkin cards.

senahorse

Balancing on top of a damn big ladder trying to resolve a potential network issue with an LED sign under the western freeway in Brisbane for a few hours in this humidity was not fun. Protip, avoid at all costs.

Choc

Banned
uh eb selling US consoles LOL :D

People, remember the 3DS is regioned......, aww its european consoles :<

also

my refereeing season might be over before it began, i've slipped a disc in my back

Clipper

My guess is that EB is also taking out the Club Nintendo vouchers from those things too as they'd also be incompatible.

my refereeing season might be over before it began, i've slipped a disc in my back
Oh noes! I hope it's not as bad as that... If it is though, join us for board games ;).

Choc

Banned
My guess is that EB is also taking out the Club Nintendo vouchers from those things too as they'd also be incompatible.

Oh noes! I hope it's not as bad as that... If it is though, join us for board games ;).

if i can get out of bed

i can hardly walk at the moment

Danoss

Omi, as you would easily pick up, none of those wide angle lenses I listed would be of any use to you, since you own a FF camera. Just pretend I put a great choice Nikkor lens on that last line and the list isn't totally flawed, though it is great for crop SLR users.

For portraiture, I thought I'd just chime in and mention that 50mm isn't ideal for it. On a crop camera it is, because it's essentially an 80mm lens. At 50mm on a FF camera, there is still distortion present. To escape this, you'll notice most professionals use one one or all of these lenses: 85mm, 135mm, 70-200mm. (I've used my 100mm macro and it does a great job also. The new 100mm/2.8L macro lens from Canon introduces a new type of IS to take advantage of its versatility).

The following image is usually used to demonstrate this. I've just cropped and re-sized the image to make it a bit more forum friendly.

iBnKU.jpg

I'm sure most of AusGAF doesn't want to see this thread turned into a photo forum, but I thought I'd comment before we ventured too far away from the topic.

Edit: Sorry to hear that, Choc. Back pain is not fun at all, I know that only too well. When the pain dissipates somewhat, go and get yourself a nice sports massage, I'm sure it'll help you a great deal. I hope you have some nice painkillers for the interim.

The 85mm f/1.8 that Canon makes is apparently a pretty good portrait lens for the price. But yes, with the 1.6 crop on cheaper cameras probably not a great result with it being a 130mm.

Danoss

The 85mm f/1.8 that Canon makes is apparently a pretty good portrait lens for the price. But yes, with the 1.6 crop on cheaper cameras probably not a great result with it being a 130mm.

It's meant to be an incredible lens for its price. Many people consider it to be Canon's best kept secret (especially since the Canon 85/1.2 has some slow focusing issues). It's great for indoor sports too, which is the second thing a lot of people use it for. At 136mm on a crop it is a great portrait lens, but you need some decent space to make that work.

If you were working on a crop camera, you'd be likely to have the 50mm for wider shots and the 85mm for close ups, if you were working indoors with limited space. Outside, you've got free reign.

Choc

Banned
well its not 'robbing' them of warranties

but the unit does have a less warranty than an AU unit

and i guarantee that when you purchase said unit, EB doesnt tell you its from Europe ;)

hang on, wouldn't this affect Estore?

because it would connect to the European estore (which i think is diff to au, slightly)

and wouldnt accept AU credit Cards?

Jintor

Guess who has Kid Icarus Uprising?

Wait it's me

Also, I left it on its attract mode for a minute to read Vook's article and it froze. Great sign! Error does not appear to be repeatable though so probably just a one-off bug.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
How is it robbing people of their warranties? Customers would be told that the warranty is 3 months. It's no different to someone buying an actual preowned 3DS. Probably better because the console is actually new and would probably last longer anyway.

Exactly my point, it is a new console and EB is taking 9 months off the warranty because they're opening the box and changing a charger. If its such a big problem, why not leave it at 12 months, especially because they're new?

If I buy something new despite EB calling it 'preowned' I want a full warranty.

AFAIK PAL 3DS's can change between any PAL e-shop region with ease.

Yup, the EU/AU models are the same stock even, except for the packaging.

Guess who has Kid Icarus Uprising?

:)

Choc

Banned
this will test you jintor (i could do research but im in pain)

does the Trade Practices act in terms of statutory warranty cover second hand goods

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.

does the Trade Practices act in terms of statutory warranty cover second hand goods

I too would like to know this.

Also Choc, welcome to the back pain club.

Jintor

This might take a mo'

I think we might be looking at the Competition and Consumer Act instead though. [Implied Warranties got taken out of the TPA, or more precisely codified into its own act, back at the beginning of 2011]

/edit I found the relevant sections. What do you want to know, precisely? As to whether the protection of "Consumer Guarantees" in the Act covers second-hand goods, or would you like to know a specific guarantee? If it's just the second-hand question, the term 'goods' is specifically defined as including 'second-hand goods' in s2 of the Schedule for Australian Consumer Law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom