• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to my world five years ago.

It gets worse. My wife and I have taken to listening to 4MBS Classics FM in the car because:

1) The B105 morning crew are offensively annoying. Labrat can die in a fire.
2) The Nova crew have become waaaaaay too blokey now that Meshel Laurie is gone
3) Triple M is for old people subsisting on nostalgia for the good old days when they were cool
4) Mrs Squirrel refuses to listen to Triple J and I've become so disconnected with today's music scene that it's all beginning to sound the same to me

Are emo kids even a thing anymore? Late 90s and early 00s music was pretty forgettable, but I at least knew what it was. I've become that guy.

Radio is so obnoxious. The hosts, the never-ending waves of ads, there's very little actual music and when there is its usually bad or unknown to be. I haven't listened to it at all since around grade 10ish. New music is absorbed through the internet, at karaoke or at the gym.

The History of Rome, Science

These sound awesome! Is there some kind of discoverychannel-esque podcast you can listen to that you'd both enjoy?

Venue is my place in Randwick.
loool, if I ever get down to Sydney its going to take me forever to get anywhere, be it board games or drinks or whatever. Just calculated it takes roughly 2 hours to central from my place ;.;

Clipper

For the new page... SydGAF, we want new people to experience the tremendously enjoyable experience of card and board gaming with friends. We want to set up a day on the weekend, but don't really know if anybody else ever wanted to join us. More info is near the bottom of the previous page of posts.

Please post or PM if you have any interest.

But you can agree on terrible radio stations filled with advertising and shoddy opinions
We don't listen to them. That's my point.

We're reduced to listening to 4MBS - grandmas mispronouncing the names of concertos, presenters who read the news off loose sheets of paper and hold them right up to the mic so you can hear the paper shuffling, sound engineers who routinely allow dead air to play for minutes at a time and at least one BBC telecast that was allowed to run too long so that we got advertised to by a fashion chain in England.

The music they play is variously relaxing or epic, but it appears to be a Mickey Mouse operation run by senile incompetents. It's awful.

Radio is so obnoxious. The hosts, the never-ending waves of ads, there's very little actual music and when there is its usually bad or unknown to be. I haven't listened to it at all since around grade 10ish. New music is absorbed through the internet, at karaoke or at the gym.

These sound awesome! Is there some kind of discoverychannel-esque podcast you can listen to that you'd both enjoy?
I've tried to get her into podcasts - any podcasts. She just prefers music.

Also Science... Sort Of is great! Everyone should listen to it!

Jintor

We don't listen to them. That's my point.

We're reduced to listening to 4MBS - grandmas mispronouncing the names of concertos, presenters who read the news off loose sheets of paper and hold them right up to the mic so you can hear the paper shuffling, sound engineers who routinely allow dead air to play for minutes at a time and at least one BBC telecast that was allowed to run too long so that we got advertised to by a fashion chain in England.

The music they play is variously relaxing or epic, but it appears to be a Mickey Mouse operation run by senile incompetents. It's awful.

Together, we choose... mediocrity!

GFWL's response was to push me off to Steam support. Steam support's response was to run through a bunch of unrelated HKEY, DirectX and GFWL client install diagnostics (fair enough for the last one) and then push me off to Namco support. Heaven knows what Namco support will do, but they're probably going to push me off to GFWL support.

Better than ArenaNet's response to my account troubles, which is to ignore me. :( Been nearly 2 days.

VKS: Its okay. Just listen to your older music via iPod or whatever. Its better than most of the rubbish around today, including alternative stuff.

I am now listening to the History of Rome one. Damn you VKS! ;)
If you get up to Augustus, but thought that whole Late Republican period was awesome, I heartily endorse Dan Carlin's Hardcore History's episode series Punic Nightmares and The Fall of the Roman Republic. After you reach the end of the History of Rome podcast, listen to Dan Carlin's episode on the early Dark Ages called Thor's Angels. It's pure awesome.

www.dancarlin.com

Omikron

If you get up to Augustus, but thought that whole Late Republican period was awesome, I heartily endorse Dan Carlin's Hardcore History's episode series Punic Nightmares and The Fall of the Roman Republic. After you reach the end of the History of Rome podcast, listen to Dan Carlin's episode on the early Dark Ages called Thor's Angels. It's pure awesome.

www.dancarlin.com

Cheers, bookmarked :)

I've got all of my Roman History from this:

220px-Claudius.jpg

http://youtu.be/gzQxIfbtdsU NSFW

Fusebox

Banned

It gets worse. My wife and I have taken to listening to 4MBS Classics FM in the car because:

3) Triple M is for old people subsisting on nostalgia for the good old days when they were cool
4) Mrs Squirrel refuses to listen to Triple J and I've become so disconnected with today's music scene that it's all beginning to sound the same to me

Are emo kids even a thing anymore? Late 90s and early 00s music was pretty forgettable, but I at least knew what it was. I've become that guy.

There's something about cars and radio that goes so well. On the rare occasion I drive to work I love me some Kyle and Jackie O, haters be damned.

senahorse

I can't stand radio these days either, I find it grating.

We either listen to music streamed or podcasts like Idle Thumbs, Cruncheons, Star Talk etc, the kicker is we have very similar tastes and both enjoy them all :D.

Rezbit

I still like triple j, even if there is way too much aussie hip hop and dubstep. They still play a good amount of indie and alternative stuff. Tom and Alex also have some pretty funny stuff in the morning.

Impossible. Spaghetti everywhere or staying quiet are the only two options
Always the Mysterious Stranger approach available to you. Chicks dig mysterious and aloof.

You guys know that bit in Heathers, where she's at the college party and some dude comes up and asks her what her major is, and when she responds that she's in high school, he then asks "So, when you get to college, what do you think your major will be?". I think I've become that guy. I have no idea what to ask high school kids to gauge commonality.
Music tastes, movie tastes, alcoholic tastes, sporting tastes are usually the topics that allow me to comfortablly be social with someone.

Best bet is shared bitching about something in particular. Public transport, work, kids these days, etc.

Hook up your iPhone in the car when you jump in. Make up a fun playlist one night that you both are happy with.

I do, but not in the car. Mrs Squirrel isn't exactly a fan of The History of Rome, Science... Sort Of or Radio Free Nintendo. Same with Michael Jackson, The Presets and the Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphonic Album.

Don't know why.
It's great that people have different tastes as long as they are constructive about their shunning of someone elses favourites. My wife and I are the same. Means we can be subjected to stuff we would otherwise never come across which leads to some happy discoveries.

We both love Michael Jackson though. HOW COULD SHE NOT LOVE MICHAEL JACKSON AS LONG AS HE ISN"T IN A WHOREPHANGE.

Does that classic rock station 95.2 in Sydney still exist or did it go under yet
All manufacturing/warehouse places run Classic Rock stations 24/7 so they are probably up in the top 5 of most major regions.

I still like triple j, even if there is way too much aussie hip hop and dubstep. They still play a good amount of indie and alternative stuff. Tom and Alex also have some pretty funny stuff in the morning.
Also they play a Cloud Nothings track pretty much everyday! Can't be unhappy about that. Kinda sick of the Doctors schtick at this point though, pushing too far towards ADHD DJ which is just irritating to listen to.

Hey GW2 people.

I was thinking of making the AusGAF GW2 guild so that we can create a community and easily chat cross server etc.

what do people think of this?

I have been informed you can join multiple guilds so that should be no problem.

I will probably throw it up tonight (depending what it costs) if people are keen.

Raxum

Hey GW2 people.

I was thinking of making the AusGAF GW2 guild so that we can create a community and easily chat cross server etc.

I will probably throw it up tonight (depending what it costs) if people are keen.

I will most definitely be up for that. I am also still waiting to be invited to the actual GAF guild. I've tried to contact a few different people but to no avail. Anyway, you have me added in game so just chuck me an invite when(if) you make it.

Edit: I'll also help fund it if I have the extra coin to do so.

I will most definitely be up for that. I am also still waiting to be invited to the actual GAF guild. I've tried to contact a few different people but to no avail. Anyway, you have me added in game so just chuck me an invite when(if) you make it.

Edit: I'll also help fund it if I have the extra coin to do so.

Good news is looks like it is only 1 silver to create.

We get levelling/gathering bonuses etc. for being in a guild which is good!

Raxum

Good news is looks like it is only 1 silver to create.

We get levelling/gathering bonuses etc. for being in a guild which is good!

That's awesome! I haven't checked yet, are you on the GW2GAF server? Tried cross-server play last night with a friend who started on another server to play with a guild of his friends and it didn't seem to work unless he transferred over to my server or I transferred to his. Do you know how the guesting works? I tried the right-click->join friend in blah option but it didn't work.

Hey GW2 people.

1 silver.

edit, oh you figured it out already.

That's awesome! I haven't checked yet, are you on the GW2GAF server? Tried cross-server play last night with a friend who started on another server to play with a guild of his friends and it didn't seem to work unless he transferred over to my server or I transferred to his. Do you know how the guesting works? I tried the right-click->join friend in blah option but it didn't work.

I'm not, I don't think. I'm on North Somethingbluffs with friends.

Raxum

I'm not, I don't think. I'm on North Somethingbluffs with friends.

Well I don't think server matters a lot for guilds, only that we all wouldn't be able to PvP/WvW together. Still be good for sharing of items and chatting in game and such.

I'm on Stormbluff Isle which is the GW2GAF NA home server according to the thread.

jambo

My head unit has an iPod compatible USB input, so I just use that + online radio apps to listen to almost anything you could think of...

It has not been implemented yet. I am on the reddit server Crystal Desert

Hey GW2 people.

this sounds like a great idea, i'm down

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
My head unit has an iPod compatible USB input, so I just use that + online radio apps to listen to almost anything you could think of...
My car has a Bluetooth thingy so I can listen to music off my phone wirelessly. 500+ songs and nothing I want to listen to :(

Yeah same. That and not having commercials is great. Though 105.7 when I'm down the coast, love me some techno before a surf.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Life would be so much easier if I wasn't surrounded by idiots every single day. It's getting me down.

Life would be so much easier if I wasn't surrounded by idiots every single day. It's getting me down.
I have news for you.

You are shit out of luck if you expect that to ever change. My advice is to develop a drinking problem hobby and stew in a rich goulash of self-Satisfaction.

Gazunta

I have no idea what to ask high school kids to gauge commonality.

...video games? I usually just go straight to video games.

The B105 morning crew were a large part of me creating Hive FM. It's such a manufactured product that I find it really fascinating how it works.

Edit: Rebel FM broadcast out of Beaudesert is really good. They introduced me to Silversun Pickups, and they play just rock music. Even Logan 101.1 is a decent consolation prize for living in Logan. I used to love ABC Brisbane until my car decided that it no longer wanted to pick up AM radio. Bah!

I just listen to podcasts to and from work. On a related note, a big fuck you to Apple for making their Podcasts app automatically download podcasts over 3G every time you play a podcast. That's three months in a row I've blown my iPhone bandwidth in the order of several hundred dollars :/

Living without a PC is fucking BALLS. I have so much work to do and no way to do it. Even catching up on emails is a pain just with the iPad. Updating the comics is practically impossible. Hahah shit I just realized I haven't even been able to tell anyone the big news because I have to update one of my sites first...which I can't do until I get a working PC again. Hopefully Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom