• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I guess I'm the only one who thinks guild wars 2 is mediocre at best. There's some things it does right. It doesn't "Feel" like going from quest to quest and there seems to be little grinding, since grinding doesn't get you anywhere.

The lack of the holy trinity seems to be a bad thing. While you can group up with randoms who are out and about in the field, when an event starts, it's just a clusterfuck of people spamming their abilities. There's no real co-ordination because there's no real role structure and it's fucking odd.

The game can look good at times but honestly I find it pretty flat and boring. It has that typical flat texture, green or brown smothered all over the place. So it feels like it was made in 2002 with slightly better graphics but no real depth to what i'm looking at.

eh

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I disagree, because the game is really starting to click with me now. I have some reservations about the combat still. (doesn't feel as fluid as GW did for me). But it isn't bad overall, just feels a bit to floaty at times.

What I'm really enjoying is the exploration and the overall design of the product, and the best part is I've barely scratched the surface at this point. Really excited about trying out the PvP, the dungeons and the meta-events later on, oh and explore some of the later zones.

Also
While you can group up with randoms who are out and about in the field, when an event starts, it's just a clusterfuck of people spamming their abilities. There's no real co-ordination because there's no real role structure and it's fucking odd.
Even with the holy trinity, I really doubt it would play out any differently lol. The events actually feel like less of a clusterfuck when the server is less crowded and you aren't grouped in on the overflow server. Plus I've heard the events are really fun when you are grouping up for them and your party leader knows where they are, so you can do them in a chain etc.

Kritz

Banned
The Walking Dead is a very, very good video game. You should all play it.

Welcome to two months ago.

It's my second highest rated game this year, as long as they don't fuck it up. Hell, could be number one. But it'll take a lot to topple Journey. (Yes, I consider Walking Dead and Journey to be better games than DayZ. I don't even know if DayZ would be my third at this point.)

It's my second highest rated game this year, as long as they don't fuck it up. Hell, could be number one. But it'll take a lot to topple Journey. (Yes, I consider Walking Dead and Journey to be better games than DayZ. I don't even know if DayZ would be my third at this point.)

Does DayZ count as a game from this year?

Rahk

I second the modmic. Great mic and more convenient than a Zalman, bit more expensive though. Then just pick out whatever headphones you want. Maybe look at Sennheiser HD201, Beyerdynamic DT235 or Audio Technica ATH-AD-700.

If you're set on a headset then I'd get the Beyerdynamic MMX2 over any gaming branded headsets.

r1chard

Ooh, I'm gonna be on the radios this Wednesday talking to the Byte Into It folk about PyCon AU. Whee! First time on the radios. Must remember to turn my phone off. Also to turn down the sweary a little when they start talking about patents.

Kritz

Banned
Have been tuning my game's vault mechanic a bit today. Added in a smoother transition for leaping over things. I'm kind of past the point where I can tell if what I'm making is any good or not, because I've been testing for so long everything feels intuitive just by repetition.

Current build of the game (requires unity web player)

The game has no jump (yet), as I want to see if I can design something that doesn't require it. Probably not. I've tried to replace jumping with a vault mechanic, where you need to walk up to surfaces, look at the surface, and press the space bar to mantle on top of it. Initial testing hints at this not being super intuitive to people until I tell them how the mechanic works. So maybe I need to place the players in an area that requires use of the mechanics with big dumb tutorial signs telling you how to do it.

Or maybe I need to make the mechanic a bit more intuitive.

I still have no god damn idea what I'm even making for a game.

(Sorry if these posts seem a bit too bloggy.)

EDIT: And just for reference, here's some debug stuff that you might see in the game:

opaO5.png

Blue/Green means you're looking at a surface that can't be vaulted on because the top of this surface is too far away
Blue/Red (or just blue) means something is obstructing a potential vault. Red will be placed in the location of the obstruction, so can be hard to see.
A single green square means you can vault on top of the surface you're looking at.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So Snooki had her baby, it was possibly the cleanest thing to ever come out of her vagina.

Stackboy

I'm enjoying GW2. Bought it because friends were playing and so far it really feels like my kind of thing, since I haven't played an MMO since I quit WoW 3 months after launch.

Kritz;41440523[URL="http://kritz.net/personal/unity/Vlander/build05/WebPlayer.html" said:
Current build of the game (requires unity web player)[/URL]
No invert, no deal.

Also, you're right, the vault mechanic isn't super intuitive. Even after reading your description I had to come back and read how to do it to get it to work. From the initial description I thought "vault" would be Parkour style crossing an object, but it feels more like it'd be suited to perhaps a 3D climbing puzzle game.

commissar

Have been tuning my game's vault mechanic a bit today. Added in a smoother transition for leaping over things. I'm kind of past the point where I can tell if what I'm making is any good or not, because I've been testing for so long everything feels intuitive just by repetition.
Had a quick play around with it, the area is interesting and the vault mechanic is fun (the speed of it makes me thing of chaining vaults. Not sure if that's where you're going?).

Once I figured out I could re-position boxes with mouse1, the challenge was obviously to get onto the roof :)

I'm looking forwards to playing future builds!

edit: as codswallop said, I also expected vaulting to be over an object instead of mantling :p

Kritz

Banned
Maybe I should really just call it mantling. But I'm worse at spelling that word. It's mostly really just... super selective jumping.

And the idea is kinda just to hold down space while running through an environment to kind of seamlessly run over a bunch of obstacles. Kind of link Brink, I guess.

Raxum

Really enjoying GW2 so far, playing a charr elementalist and I've 100% the starting area Ashford Plains, and the Black Citadel. Not level 15 though for the next area. Really enjoying the elementalist mechanics, having 4 different attunements with 5 skills per attunement plus weapon swapping gives you a lot of skills to play with.

Really disappointed with Dark Souls, my first attempt to use Durante's fix glitched my game so nothing but the UI showed up, and a Gray box that took up 2/3 of the screen. Going to play around with it more. But even so, playing without that, my wireless 360 controller doesn't work with the game, but hitting the xbox button brings up the GFWL screen, so the controller is obviously working, just Dark Souls not detecting it.

49/50 achieves in Darksiders 2, pretty annoyed that the "Unlcok Everything" achievement isn't doing what everyone says it was supposed to do, which is unlock once you get all the other achieves.

Got into the beta for RaiderZ on Perfect World. Won't get much time to play it though, work and GW2 will be taking up heaps of my time. And I'm trying to work on programming a little bit on the side.

Will try out Kritz' game when I get home from work. Sorry for the long post and lack of posting lately, lots happening at work and lots of gaming to do at home.

Raxum

Turn off AA in game and turn the controller on before launching the game.

Yeah I read the AA thing before so I'm trying that when I get home, I've bene kind of distracted by finishing Darksiders 2 and GW2 headstart to really research a lot. And I have been turning the controller on before I launch. You have to do that for Darksiders 2 as well. I tried re-launching the game about 3 times while having the controller on and trying a few things but to no avail. Tried googling it but not much has come up, might spend a bit of time getting it working tonight before playing GW2 again.

senahorse

The AA will definitely fix your graphics problem. Weird about your controller though, maybe try updating the driver (if there is a newer one), it just works for me, didn't have to do anything special.

Might be a long shot, but anyone got a converter to play Japanese games on an Australian SNES? Mine seems busted and replacements on eBay are scarce and expensive.

Raxum

The AA will definitely fix your graphics problem. Weird about your controller though, maybe try updating the driver (if there is a newer one), it just works for me, didn't have to do anything special.

Well it's a recently built PC, and I installed the 360 for windows drivers when I built it off the Microsoft website, so I would figure the controller driver is up to date. But the wireless receiver doesn't auto-install, so maybe it's just a dodgy receiver that isn't talking to the game properly or something. Might see if there is an update for the drivers though, if there is hopefully that will fix it.

Clipper

Just got a courier delivery, which was bringing the 3DS XLs for Rahk, Waikis and myself to Australia. Yay!
photo-128.jpg

And of course, the size comparison:
photo-127.jpg

Cost us about AU$221 shipped doing them together, although Waikis' is a little more expensive as I'm Express Posting it to him...

Now to start the data transfer between them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom