• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Stop replying to that Raistlin guy in your thread Choc lol. He has a troll face avatar, that should tell you something.

Guys I showed this to people on irc but I'm super proud of getting this working last night.

http://megadriven.net/personal/flash/mm1/mm1.swf megaman style camera. It's hacked together but it works. The world is 2 screens high by 5 screens wide. If you attempt to move further, you will trigger the camera movement and megaman will stop responding to input BUT the camera has nowhere to go so it'll just stay still. You can walk off the top and left tho no issues into space.

It's not a traditional megaman yet, with no movement. It's just 4direction movement with the arrow keys. Would appreciate mentioning if you find any other bugs in the camera code. Thank yoooouuuu.

Known bugs:
- Camera will lock up if you move outside of the known bounds of the level (5 screens by 2).
- Megaman doesn't scroll slightly when moving in between screens.

She is going out of business because she doesn't have a regular clientele that think that the food is good enough to go through the initiation process. I actually like the policy of making people take the leftovers, the whole "SO FULL!" thing is a stupid opinionated thing though. Can't say that they all overate, I say so full even after one sandwich sometimes depending on how I am feeling.

F25t1.png

COD MW3 on PS3/360 for $25 at Harvey Norman!
Doctor Who LEGO looking kinda thing for $11 from LOGS!

midonnay

She is going out of business because she doesn't have a regular clientele that think that the food is good enough to go through the initiation process. I actually like the policy of making people take the leftovers, the whole "SO FULL!" thing is a stupid opinionated thing though. Can't say that they all overate, I say so full even after one sandwich sometimes depending on how I am feeling.

Japanese ppl say the same sort of thing after a meal as respect ..... literally "It was a feast!!"

which makes her rant kinda weird....

It's not a traditional megaman yet, with no movement. It's just 4direction movement with the arrow keys. Would appreciate mentioning if you find any other bugs in the camera code. Thank yoooouuuu.

Known bugs:
- Camera will lock up if you move outside of the known bounds of the level (5 screens by 2).
- Megaman doesn't scroll slightly when moving in between screens.

reminds me of zelda :p

didn't see any bugs except the moving out of bounds one >_>

yeah, his theory is that you have to make this elaborate story in your imagination to make the kanji stick....

and it may well work too..

but for me that took wayyyy too much time. (I only had like 3 weeks free time to finish it)

My approach was to use the stories to visualise in my head how to write the kanji itself .

In other words..... the simpler the story the better (as little words as needed to remember the kanji)

Check out the Reviewing the Kanji website (join up then add kanji.... then you can go to the study section and see all the stories other people have devised)

http://kanji.koohii.com/

eg:

the common primitive in the following kanji I used as "Turkey"

進 - Why did the turkey cross the road? to advance to the other side

雌 - Stop spooning turkey, spoon feminine (spooning as in the sexual position >_> )

集 - A gather of turkey on the tree....k i s s i n g

雇 - We'll employ any turkey at the door

You can also use the stories as a way to remember the order to use each component (to coincide with stroke order)

罰 - the ultimate penalty - he closes his eyes, says his final words and sticks the sword in.

There are two schools of thought about completing RTK....

a) do it as fast as possible.... in one month or less even (but generally around 3 months).

b) Take your time....spread it out over the year.

option a) - only doable if you have a shitload of spare time (eg: summer holidays). Anki reviews can range from 1000 to 2000 a day. (if your flashcards goes both ways)

option b) - less stressful, but the problem you may face is motivation. For this reason I'd advise to try to finish it in allocations (maybe 100 or 200 or a chapter or two at a time). Then take a break for a week or two from adding new kanji and concentrate on learning the various readings of associated vocabulary in context. Therefore even if you get bored...have to take a holiday etc...all you have to do is continue your Anki reviews to consolidate your knowledge.

Lastly there is also an alternate list called RTK-lite which has only the 1100 most common kanji (along with the primitives needed to learn the rest of the list one day). Generally alot of the Jouyou kanji were chosen due to politics rather than frequency of use so you may find it useful to skip obscure ones.

eg: 誰 (dare) wasn't even part of the list until recently and you see it everywhere.

http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?pid=84164#p84164

There is a rtk-lite anki deck on the shared repository (click the download button at the opening startup page of the Anki browser)

Thanks Mid :D You've been so helpful. Can I ask which option you tried? Did it work well? I have 4ish weeks of winter break left, so I might try for option A, but I guess I'll see how I go. I'm worried if I cram it all in it won't stay in my long term memory.

Aon

God damn if I dont replay that game once every year.

So amazing. Just so great.

I love it.

It is one of the best games.

I was playing this game when I got told that my first dog had died.
Then again when my mothers side grandfather died three years later.

And those connotations still havn't ruined it for me, although it does make me feel a bit guilty when I play, like I'm risking peoples lives.

But damn is it one hell of a game.

(But seriously though that death shit is weird. Maybe don't buy it cos it kills your people. But then on the other hand noone's died since I've played the HD rerelease on Steam this year)

Man what a disappointing sequel.

ANYWAYS.

senahorse

Has anyone been to Ginga (Japanese Restaurant) at South Brisbane, if so, is it good Japanese?

I can't compare to much in Brisbane, but for reference there is a place in the Elizabeth Arcade that serves a mean ramen.

Rahk

Thanks Mid :D You've been so helpful. Can I ask which option you tried? Did it work well? I have 4ish weeks of winter break left, so I might try for option A, but I guess I'll see how I go. I'm worried if I cram it all in it won't stay in my long term memory.
I did option B but started to lose motivation once I began working full time and haven't gone back to it yet. :(

I should probably start doing it on the train again.

Has anyone been to Ginga (Japanese Restaurant) at South Brisbane, if so, is it good Japanese?

I can't compare to much in Brisbane, but for reference there is a place in the Elizabeth Arcade that serves a mean ramen.

It's fairly good food, but pretty expensive as Japanese food goes, and the staff at the cinema one have been pretty rude in my experience. There is a smaller ginga restaurant around the corner from the big one next to the cinema which is nicer (they have two parts to the restaurant: a cheaper outside food option, or more expensive, but better quality one inside). The katsu curry inside is great. If you're after Japanese food though, Elizabeth Arcade is the place to go. Hiwawari is awesome, and Kadoya is pretty good too.

Ydahs

apple doesn't give you access to Siri though via the SDK so how are you doing this

Oh, I'm not actually using Siri, just creating something like it that can answer text-based natural language queries, such as "Compare total frees between Sydney And West Coast", "Who are the best defenders by average disposals?" and "Who is number 29 for Geelong?". It's pretty restricted at the moment, but works fairly well.

I'm going to have a few people test it out soon so if you're interested in seeing what it can do (or anyone else here is), just send me a PM and I'll send a preview link soon enough.

GOG Promo stuff still going!

The Incredible Machine for $4!
Tomorrow will be Outcast for $2.40!

(But seriously though that death shit is weird. Maybe don't buy it cos it kills your people. But then on the other hand noone's died since I've played the HD rerelease on Steam this year)

FUCK

>_<

senahorse

Thanks Shan, that's really helpful. Also glad to see my tastes for Japanese validated for the selection in the Elizabeth Arcade :D

LOL some clown trying to tell Shaun Elliott that he knows more about Irrational Games than the guy who works there. Hilarity.

Also I really fucking want XCOM FPS as well as the Tactical Shooter.

midonnay

it took me roughly 100 hours to go through the book.....and another 100 hours over a month to consolidate the knowledge using anki.

to put it another way, for 100 kanji a day

it would have taken me about 2 1/2 hours to go through new kanji....and then another 2 1/2 hours to review the previous days work.

Its definitely doable (helps that you are already knowledgeable about stroke order and the general appearance of a number of characters) ....but its quite stressful ._.

I recommend timeboxing (time limit function on anki eg: 20 minutes)...something like 20 minutes 5 minutes break and another 20 minutes etc.

possible problems that you may find....

1) Memory contamination. Many kanji have similar meanings...so some stories and keywords can blend together...A possible solution is associating vocabulary that you probably already know with problematic kanji that you're learning (in a separate anki file).

2) Try not to use a keyword in any part of another kanji's story (unless it is a kanji that you already know well or it actually is a component of that kanji). Again minimises the chance of muddling up different keywords and stories in your head.

3) Feel free to change the keyword names. Heisig isn't a bible. There were alot of words that I've never learned even as a native english speaker which defeats the purpose really. Do note that most of the keywords are well chosen....just that several are just strange.

Alot of the problems with memory contamination will go away once you start associating vocabulary (many which you already know) with the various kanji.

Lastly don't feel that you have to complete the whole shebang all at once...

If you burn out or the reviews pile up, you don't have to keep on shovelling in new kanji. Generally you'll want to get around 70% to 80% success rate in your reviews. (may be lower depending on how much you add a day)

Better to consolidate what you've already taken in than stop drilling altogether and have wasted all that time. Alot of people do that, get frustrated and stop altogether >_>

ps: I found it useful to substitute some of the primitives that come up a whole shit load of times as superheroes eg: &#20195; the person primitive on the left I used Mr T.....and for &#31992; I used spiderman when it was on the left like &#32000; and Venom (the black evil spidey) when it is on the bottom like &#32202;. Its easier to associate new facts with knowledge that you've already learnt.

jambo

I don't understaaaaand D:

Well he posted that article in OT, made claims in the first post that went against the article he was talking about, then told people to fuck off a few times.

I don't think he handled it very well...

You just ignore the trolls.

Well he posted that article in OT, made claims in the first post that went against the article he was talking about, then told people to fuck off a few times.

I don't think he handled it very well...

You just ignore the trolls.

I still don't think it was ban worthy. Especially considering the obvious troll didn't get banned =/

Yagharek

The retaliator always gets caught. Its true in football, its true at gaf. Someone find out how long its for. I like choc, hope he is back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom