• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
NSW will never win a series. Again.

I mean obviously they will but they played their absolute best and heart out

still lost

will destroy them

Fredescu

NSW will never win a series. Again.

I mean obviously they will but they played their absolute best and heart out

still lost

will destroy them
Eh, NSW made some terrible terrible defensive errors and still got within one point. If anything, it's pretty obvious that Queenslands dominance is coming to an end. 2014 is ours!

Cohsae

I don't think NSW came close to playing their hearts out, with a few notable exceptions (e.g. Luke Lewis, Morris bros). For much of the game they just looked lazy. Bunching up behind the play the ball, walking back in defense. Passing this way and that way to flat-footed players instead of just having a crack at the defensive line. That ain't how you win Origin.
QLD rarely, if ever look lazy. They're hungry every minute.

Oh yeah, Spec Ops The Line. Solid gameplay once you get used to the controls, fantastic art and world design, fantastic writing and voicework (suspension of disbelief required: Dubai is surrounded by a giant sand storm FFS) and the strongest impact from a game I have felt in quite a long time. Feels a lot like Bioshock in that regard. Or Minervas Den.

The gameplay is a solid cover shooter with a really good mix of weapons that have their uses and I spent the entire game switching it up and they all felt really meaty. The shotgun is jawsome, which is usually a good indication that you will have fun. Also the super shotgun (AA-12) only gets one encounter but gave me a chubby and wide eyes.

Basically if you like the idea of Uncharted's combat but found it too sloppy or spongy then you will probably really enjoy The Line. You mix it up with the use of 2 other soliders you can mildly command to focus their fire on someone, which is really handy in order to flank the AI or draw a dangerous enemy away from your position.

The story is really strong and makes an effort. Several times I realised that they were about to pull something on me just as I was in the motion of performing it. A lot of the pieces that you think are sloppy or just not implemented end up slotting into place once the credits role. I ended up thinking back on the whole game all night once finished, which is a great sign that it was more than a Killbot Factory game for me. I wouldn't play it again as most of the impact would be lost and actually picking up on the beats of the story wouldn't be as fun as racing along trying to keep everything together on the wild ride.

PC port was fantastic. No issues whatsoever aside from having to delete a SREngine.ini file before starting up each time to avoid terrible performance for no reason at all. Ran like a dream and looked awesome. Some of the vistas really are breathtaking in-game. Controls took a little to get used to but after the first half hour I was snapping headshots and sliding into cover easily. Much love for Mouse control.

Totally worth the $25 my boss spent on it and I will be telling him tomorrow to get into it straight away. Will be very keen to see what Yager are up to next. Some fantastic games out recently by lesser known studios, loved The Darkness 2 more and more since I played it as well. As this generation is coming grinding to a halt it is if the playing field is levelling for mid range studios to put out a AAA looking game within their resources and abilities.

Gets a 4/5 from me. Was better than Max Payne 3.

Amazon closing down sale!

Chrome Imgur Extension is so fucking slow now :(
F25t1.png

Binary Domain (steamkey) for $10! Yes! Yes! Yes!
Dragon Age GOTY Edition & Dragon Age Shit Mountain for $10!
Bulletstorm, Burnout Paradise GOTY Edition, Mercenaries 2, Mirror's Edge & The Saboteur Bundle for $15!!!

Choc

Banned
the saboteur by itself is worth $15

its a game that doesn't reach the heights but its worth playing to see some very interesting game mechanics

Clipper

Thanks, Marsh, for hosting a really fun board games night, and shan for coming along. It was very enjoyable and I hope it can continue on as I look forward to coming to another night (or day) next time I'm visiting Brissy again.

Also, I just have to say, you hit the most inopportune time to turn into a woman, Marsh :p.

Edit: Oh, and a heads up to the SydGAF Board Games crew... Uncharted: Board Game is actually pretty decent. It take a little while to wrap your head around the mechanics, but it's really fun. Also, that Boss so nearly killed us all Marsh, good work putting him in...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm definitely in the more cynical camp for Spec Ops. Disappointingly so, as there's a lot going on with the game that I admire. For me, it just didn't come together, and failed to excel as a video game, both on the mechanical end and the narrative.

Heisig method is seeming cool so far. The only trouble is that some of the kanji stories are ridiculously long and hard to remember.

First few chapters are up on the heisig website if anyone's interested ^^

Ydahs

Oh hey, new thread! Has a FFVII joke been made yet?

*subscribes*

Also, I'm developing the Siri of AFL stats at the moment. Loads of fun.

midonnay

Heisig method is seeming cool so far. The only trouble is that some of the kanji stories are ridiculously long and hard to remember.

First few chapters are up on the heisig website if anyone's interested ^^

yeah, his theory is that you have to make this elaborate story in your imagination to make the kanji stick....

and it may well work too..

but for me that took wayyyy too much time. (I only had like 3 weeks free time to finish it)

My approach was to use the stories to visualise in my head how to write the kanji itself .

In other words..... the simpler the story the better (as little words as needed to remember the kanji)

Check out the Reviewing the Kanji website (join up then add kanji.... then you can go to the study section and see all the stories other people have devised)

http://kanji.koohii.com/

eg:

the common primitive in the following kanji I used as "Turkey"

進 - Why did the turkey cross the road? to advance to the other side

雌 - Stop spooning turkey, spoon feminine (spooning as in the sexual position >_> )

集 - A gather of turkey on the tree....k i s s i n g

雇 - We'll employ any turkey at the door

You can also use the stories as a way to remember the order to use each component (to coincide with stroke order)

罰 - the ultimate penalty - he closes his eyes, says his final words and sticks the sword in.

There are two schools of thought about completing RTK....

a) do it as fast as possible.... in one month or less even (but generally around 3 months).

b) Take your time....spread it out over the year.

option a) - only doable if you have a shitload of spare time (eg: summer holidays). Anki reviews can range from 1000 to 2000 a day. (if your flashcards goes both ways)

option b) - less stressful, but the problem you may face is motivation. For this reason I'd advise to try to finish it in allocations (maybe 100 or 200 or a chapter or two at a time). Then take a break for a week or two from adding new kanji and concentrate on learning the various readings of associated vocabulary in context. Therefore even if you get bored...have to take a holiday etc...all you have to do is continue your Anki reviews to consolidate your knowledge.

Lastly there is also an alternate list called RTK-lite which has only the 1100 most common kanji (along with the primitives needed to learn the rest of the list one day). Generally alot of the Jouyou kanji were chosen due to politics rather than frequency of use so you may find it useful to skip obscure ones.

eg: 誰 (dare) wasn't even part of the list until recently and you see it everywhere.

http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?pid=84164#p84164

There is a rtk-lite anki deck on the shared repository (click the download button at the opening startup page of the Anki browser)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Today should be fun times - going see The Amazing Spiderman with two of my brothers later today, might also pick up theatrhythm if EB games has it in store afterwards.
and talk to eb games girl in the process
So Spec Ops: The Line. That's a videogame.

...you guys should probably play it. For $25? Worth it.
Maybe when it's $5-10.. it looks like a another shooter to me.

Fogz

Oh yeah, Spec Ops The Line. Solid gameplay once you get used to the controls, fantastic art and world design, fantastic writing and voicework (suspension of disbelief required: Dubai is surrounded by a giant sand storm FFS) and the strongest impact from a game I have felt in quite a long time. Feels a lot like Bioshock in that regard. Or Minervas Den.

The gameplay is a solid cover shooter with a really good mix of weapons that have their uses and I spent the entire game switching it up and they all felt really meaty. The shotgun is jawsome, which is usually a good indication that you will have fun. Also the super shotgun (AA-12) only gets one encounter but gave me a chubby and wide eyes.

Basically if you like the idea of Uncharted's combat but found it too sloppy or spongy then you will probably really enjoy The Line. You mix it up with the use of 2 other soliders you can mildly command to focus their fire on someone, which is really handy in order to flank the AI or draw a dangerous enemy away from your position.

The story is really strong and makes an effort. Several times I realised that they were about to pull something on me just as I was in the motion of performing it. A lot of the pieces that you think are sloppy or just not implemented end up slotting into place once the credits role. I ended up thinking back on the whole game all night once finished, which is a great sign that it was more than a Killbot Factory game for me. I wouldn't play it again as most of the impact would be lost and actually picking up on the beats of the story wouldn't be as fun as racing along trying to keep everything together on the wild ride.

PC port was fantastic. No issues whatsoever aside from having to delete a SREngine.ini file before starting up each time to avoid terrible performance for no reason at all. Ran like a dream and looked awesome. Some of the vistas really are breathtaking in-game. Controls took a little to get used to but after the first half hour I was snapping headshots and sliding into cover easily. Much love for Mouse control.

Totally worth the $25 my boss spent on it and I will be telling him tomorrow to get into it straight away. Will be very keen to see what Yager are up to next. Some fantastic games out recently by lesser known studios, loved The Darkness 2 more and more since I played it as well. As this generation is coming grinding to a halt it is if the playing field is levelling for mid range studios to put out a AAA looking game within their resources and abilities.

Gets a 4/5 from me. Was better than Max Payne 3.

It also has a Deep Purple song in it. Goty!

senahorse

QSO_Gala2_Lord_12_event.jpg

Composer Howard Shore brings J.R.R. Tolkien's literary imagination to vivid life with his Academy®- and Grammy® Award-winning score to The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Shore's music expresses Peter Jackson's film as an immense symphonic work--a uniquely developed vision drawn from centuries of stylistic tendencies.

The complete Lord of the Rings movie will be projected onto a stage-sized screen. Patrons will enjoy the full movie experience with the Queensland Symphony Orchestra playing the entire movie score.

2 tickets locked in :D

I haven't played a game in 3 weeks ( apart from some Peggle play whilst our shopping with my wife). Id say thats the longest I've not played either a console or PC game in about 15 years. Yet I was thinking about games the entire time.

legend166

So in hilarious news, it looks like Andrew Bogut exposed that Buddy Franklin was buying twitter followers.

Buddy chucked a hissy fit and closed his account.

How vain do you have to be?

Yagharek

So in hilarious news, it looks like Andrew Bogut exposed that Buddy Franklin was buying twitter followers.

Buddy chucked a hissy fit and closed his account.

How vain do you have to be?

Lol. Will buddy ask for refunds? Will Bruce mcavaney break down in tears? Who will "huddo" express love for next? Tune in next week...

Choc

Banned
Oh hey, new thread! Has a FFVII joke been made yet?

*subscribes*

apple doesn't give you access to Siri though via the SDK so how are you doing this

A mate of mine would love that, he is like a walking AFL prospectus. Would just sit around all day asking Siri for stats that he doesn't yet have memorised lol

It also has a Deep Purple song in it. Goty!
Also Mogwai!

I had to go read up on this and found these gems.

Aw_rVhWCIAE74wm.png:large

:lol
Oh shit we got some badasses here! Stupid Bogut and his millions and millions of dollars and rockstar fame over there in the US. Although he is a complete douchebag.

Choc

Banned
This is crazy

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...-closure-with-online-rant-20120705-21icb.html

Ichikawa's restaurant has a notorious set of rules to cut food waste, with customers expected to eat everything on their plate and bring their own containers for leftovers and takeaway orders

The Japanese eatery is often described as Sydney's most exclusive restaurant because only members, which include those who attend an "orientation", can make bookings.

""First, many potential customers, and even some members, have entered Wafu without doggie containers," she wrote on the Wafu website.
"I could not accept such inconsiderate people. The refusal of this most simple, basic request shows that Wafu's ways are not respected. Intolerable."

""Further, I found it distressing when, after eating, with obvious self-satisfaction, people said, 'SO FULL!'.
"Perhaps this was meant as a compliment, but to me it meant that the utterer had deliberately damaged their body by wasting food through over-eating."

how about go fuck yourself? She is closing because she is fed up with customers not doing that

What if you are a tourist? how do you know

twat

r1chard

Who the fuck sits down on a train across from an elderly woman and then proceeds to cough up their fucking virus-infested mucus spray all over her for the entire trip?

So Telstra have been sending me text messages saying I've exceeded my monthly data limit, so I call them only to find out that I still have 490MB to blow through by next Tuesday. The SMSs were either meant for someone else or they set up the alert system wrong.

Useless.

Rahk

This is crazy

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...-closure-with-online-rant-20120705-21icb.html

Ichikawa's restaurant has a notorious set of rules to cut food waste, with customers expected to eat everything on their plate and bring their own containers for leftovers and takeaway orders

The Japanese eatery is often described as Sydney's most exclusive restaurant because only members, which include those who attend an "orientation", can make bookings.

""First, many potential customers, and even some members, have entered Wafu without doggie containers," she wrote on the Wafu website.
"I could not accept such inconsiderate people. The refusal of this most simple, basic request shows that Wafu's ways are not respected. Intolerable."

""Further, I found it distressing when, after eating, with obvious self-satisfaction, people said, 'SO FULL!'.
"Perhaps this was meant as a compliment, but to me it meant that the utterer had deliberately damaged their body by wasting food through over-eating."

how about go [censored] yourself? She is closing because she is fed up with customers not doing that

What if you are a tourist? how do you know

twat
Yeah, heard about that place a while back. Not surprised they're shutting down, more likely because they don't get enough customers rather than just being fed up.

If you're a tourist you won't be able to get a table because she only allows members to eat there and is very strict on accepting new people. And I guess things would be explained at the "orientation".

I heard about people not being allowed in even when the place was empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom