• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Ya, I did pretty bad for a private school asian and nobody really cares. Nor do I.

It's gonna work out like a Daniel Auteuil film, deek. You'll reach 50 or so, your adorable wife will invite all of your splendid friends over for dinner, and it will all come out.

Basically my current job was offered to me when my full-time casual job was in a lull and I was struggling to provide for my family, other jobs at the same company were taking forever to get resolved so it could have been another year until I got into a stable job there. My current job was also offered with the reassurance that I would get a pay rise after 3 months (which hasn't happened because things have been too "hectic" and the contract isn't "profitable" yet) and an expectation that in 12 months time there would be an option to head back to Geelong, which would be fantastic but it looks unlikely that the contract in Geelong will even exist for much longer. If they can agree to bump me up to a decent paygrade, even just up to the same as the other administrator, I will be happy enough to stick around for a little longer despite my patience with their practices from top to bottom being stretched further and further even from day one.

I really should finish my degree!

EDIT: The job I was looking at was a glorified receptionist role with the usual supply and assistant crap. Working for a company that loves to pay their employees top dollar and waste money which would have been nice.

Ah. That's fair enough then. I would have taken it as well in that position.

On a related note, my manager finally came though today on a secondment she had been "promising" me for a while. From the sounds of it, it will only be a few hours a week. Though with any luck it will lead somewhere.

pfft. I have this and I didn't get rest breaks. Do you think I can complain to my school about not getting an OP1?
I wouldn't bother. OPs are useful exactly once. I got an OP 1 and it never did me any good. The entry requirement for Electrical Engineering in my year was like an 8 or something.

They were offering engineering scholarships that year to OP1s, (which were pretty sweet - you got your degree paid for through Masters, got to attend a bunch of swanky exclusive industry meet-and-greets and you did an accelerated course where you got both your Bachelors and Masters in the time normal people did their Bachelors in), but apparently, some OP1s are better than others and I got rejected.

See, because the previous year they got six applicants, all of them got in. In our year is was more like thirty, so they changed the rules so that only people who also got 1 in all their field positions got in, which left me SOL as I got a 2 in one of mine.

Bottom line was that I could have spent all of year 11 and 12 doing what everyone else did and actually had a life and I'd be in the same spot I am today, HECS/HELP debt and all. Alternatively, I could have studied a LOT harder to get that perfect exit certificate, which would have been impossible because that was the exact same time my mother was undergoing chemotherapy for a disease that is very similar to, but not quite, leukemia.

No, I'm not still bitter about the arbitrary, unannounced rule change at all. Why do you ask?

I'm going to indulge in some real dumb hyperbole here, like Choc tier, but it seems incredibly backwards that there's no typing option for contemporary exams.
Seriously, how many fucking times in our lives will we ever handwrite that amount of shit? For that matter most exams are more about what you can cram into short term memory and regurgitated onto a page, life isn't a fucking series of 3 hour crunches, exams are just a fucking stupid outdated idea that are incorrectly implemented more times than not.

Fucking clownshoes. More applied learning, less copying out of textbooks.

Aon

Seriously, how many fucking times in our lives will we ever handwrite that amount of shit? For that matter most exams are more about what you can cram into short term memory and regurgitated onto a page, life isn't a fucking series of 3 hour crunches, exams are just a fucking stupid outdated idea that are incorrectly implemented more times than not.

Fucking clownshoes. More applied learning, less copying out of textbooks.

Back in Year 11 and 12 I was obsessed with the idea that bringing back the apprenticeship system in such a way that it didn't tie you down like in the olden days would solve a lot of problems xD

Also Steam Holiday Sale starts tomorrow!

mivfW.jpg

Fredescu

what does this exactly mean?
It means we know why things have mass. Sorta mind blowing that at a basic level, we never really knew. There are probably a bunch of consequences about knowing shit as fundamental as this but I'm nowhere near smart enough to know what.

Choc

Banned
ok so apparently they are talking about it on the project

and they are saying basically it confirms everything we knew on physics

and it might be the way to travel at the speed of light

:O

Yagharek

We already know how to travel at light speed: become a massless particle.

And everything The Project says about the higgs can be ignored. It will be five minutes of god particle fluff.

The real test now is how to explain dark matter, because a higgs particle confirms the standard model sort of. Super symmetry, the alternative, would offer explanations for DM. Discovering one higgs, and not several flavours of higgs supersymmetrical partners puts a spanner in the works as far as SUSY goes.

Fredescu

It's not like there weren't competing theories. They didn't spend $10 billion building the LHC because they thought it was a long shot though. Higgs first article describing it was rejected by one of the main scientific journals! He had to rewrite and resubmit. It took a while for everyone to come around I think.

Edit: Everyone just cheered! Sweet graphs. Comic sans though.

Dead Man

So basically from now on I can take the opposite of whatever they say and feel correct.

Fredescu

So I was searching shopbot.com.au for Dualshock controllers and found this:

http://www.tmart.com/Wireless-Dual-...eferral&utm_term=V5206WH&utm_campaign=product

$18.75. A ludicrous price, will they steal my dollars?
Could be fakes. There was a GAF thread recently about fake dualshocks. That gold one looks a little odd. $19 for a third party wireless controller is still pretty good though.

Edit: I couldn't find the recent thread, but this old thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396910 pointed out that fakes are often wireless and not bluetooth, so they come with a USB infra red dongle, as those ones do. Pretty sure they're fake.

Choc

Banned
It's not like there weren't competing theories. They didn't spend $10 billion building the LHC because they thought it was a long shot though. Higgs first article describing it was rejected by one of the main scientific journals! He had to rewrite and resubmit. It took a while for everyone to come around I think.

Edit: Everyone just cheered! Sweet graphs. Comic sans though.

thats fucking gold. Comic sans on the biggest scientific discovery in decades

just ridiculous lol

Yagharek

thats fucking gold. Comic sans on the biggest scientific discovery in decades

just ridiculous lol

Physicists are too busy with real problems to bother with the issues that keep HR departments and graphic designers awake at night.

The real joke would be if they're using non open source software in their presentation, but that's a minor quibble.

Choc

Banned
totally vince

they are to busy to write the powerpoints themselves i imagine. So they probably had a professional do it

:)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Woot came back home, and my dad apparently fixed the broken PS3.

Going get it's shit transferred to the new PS3 asap.

SmZA

Could be fakes. There was a GAF thread recently about fake dualshocks. That gold one looks a little odd. $19 for a third party wireless controller is still pretty good though.

Edit: I couldn't find the recent thread, but this old thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396910 pointed out that fakes are often wireless and not bluetooth, so they come with a USB infra red dongle, as those ones do. Pretty sure they're fake.

Thanks, I thought they might be but always thought I could trust shopbot. Guess not.

Shaneus

Binary Domain's awesome, worth $10.

Controller may be fake. I bought one that looked genuine enough, but before too long it had all indications of being fake: namely, wouldn't sync up wirelessly at all... despite everything looking perfectly legit (but there were subtle signs, like how even the joins of the controller were and the screen printing on the controller itself that you wouldn't recognise unless it was out of the package). Don't buy from anywhere that you don't know to be 100% legit unless you're willing to take a risk. Even if they say they're genuine, unless they have something to lose (like business) then they're probably fake. Stay away from eBay completely.

Higgs boson thing is cool. Intergalactic planetary, bitches. First contact. I'm naming my kid Zefram Cochran just to be sure.

Thread title's still shit. Not even close to resubscribing again.

Yagharek

Its great to see news items about something as fundamental as particles. Makes a nice change from depressing news about celebrity haircuts and sports stars twitter posts.

Although I only found out today that the Higgs boson was originally nicknamed the Goddamn particle, not the god particle, because of how hard it was to find.

Finished Spec Ops. It was good! Really enjoyed the story.

EDIT: OH! And Nolan North is really fucking good in it. Loved how the ambient soldier noise changed as you went through more and more shit. By the end every bullet is accompanied with "DIE DIE DIE!"

JMizzlin

Jesus Christ, the Kerry Packer telemovie looks dreadful. I really do not like Australian television.

Oh yeah, and sports, woo.

Oh also I enjoyed the gameplay more in Spec Ops than I did in Gears 3. Easily.
Even though the cool shit gameplay-wise was mainly in the first half. Still enjoyed killing probably more dudes than I did in even Max Fucking Payne 3.

Jesus Christ, the Kerry Packer telemovie looks dreadful. I really do not like Australian television.

Oh yeah, and sports, woo.

Really? Shit. Was looking forward to it due only to my love of cricket and how awesome that whole transformation was. Oh well. :(

JMizzlin

Really? Shit. Was looking forward to it due only to my love of cricket and how awesome that whole transformation was. Oh well. :(

In all fairness I'm already pretty displeased with home-grown television, but the wigs and acting were just too much in the minute long preview during Origin. Considering your interest you may be able to look past it, but it's just not my thing.

According to 9 it's the 'Drama event of the year', so who knows? haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom