• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahk

What's everyone going to play first, Darksiders II or Sleeping Dogs?

It was probably a silly idea to preorder both.

SO FEZ

Still haven't watched his section of Indie Game The Movie as I don't want to further taint my perception of him, as one day I may buy Fez on Steam.

Now lets see if I have this right.

Polytron for the most part is 2 people; a programmer and Fez who handles the direction and art and stuff or something.

After many years of working on Fez and numerous Indie panels and Encouragement Awards from various places for the future game of Fez he decides to sign it to XBLA exclusively. Which he now says HE had to pay MS "for the privilege of being on their platform" rather than them getting a payment of any kind for signing up for the ONLY place that you can be playing Fez is on a saturday morning with a controller in hand on your comfy couch. Makes sense since Big Screen Mode isn't out for Steam and Sony & Nintendo are silly Japanese people who don't make no good games no more so why would Fez fit in with their strategies!

It was after IGF I believe. XBLA was THE platform to be on, so of course everyone was clamoring to be on it. I'm not 100% on the specifics but I think the idea was that MS gave them money early for promised sales. PSN was shit back then, and WiiWare has a 40mb limit, which isn't great for many games.

Sooooooooo 4-5 years of development while paying a publisher to publish the game on only one platform, take a cut of the sales AND allow them only one free patch to fix all the bugs that could come up. Since even neckbearders like us on silly forums know this then it is well accepted knowledge for those with a motherfucking contract in front of them!

No matter! This bun has been in the oven for 4-5 years! It won't have any yeast out of place! Remarks ole Fishy while happily tweeting a potential-future-customer-of-something-Polytron-once-the troll-forgets-about-the-upcoming-game-which-the-troll doesn't-like to eat a dick or two. We should be fine! And then he panics and uses up the patch without making 100% sure it is going to work for everyone. :/

Microsoft QA missed this, not Polytron. They did their own testing too, but the bug was so minute it was missed by everyone. Or, even worse, MS caught it and because it fell under 'OK bugs' but neglected to tell fish because it didnt break the game. All it did was delete some old save files.

Well, that sucks but fix the bug that wipes out all the progress of every 100th person who has bought the game. After all, you don't want to piss off the 1%! They may end up having a disposable income next time ole Fishy or the other guy at Polytron end up releasing another game! Actually nah, we made some bad financial decisions sooooooooooooooooooooo I dunno. Burn the bridge for now with a poorly directed blame passer offer and lets just rename the company and pay another $10k to some dude to make us a new logo and I'm sure people will forget! I'll shave off my sideburns and get contacts, no one will know!
ok.
The game itself has looked pretty cool since way back in 2008 when the current Cave Story art design, and Crush-esque gameplay was shown off. Too bad it took so fucking long to complete and they made some shitty business decisions.

they have admitted the shitty business decisions, which is why i dont get why people are hating them so much for it.

In 12 months time when they exclusivity is up they can dump it on Steam and finally make some money. If they are NICE people they will email a free Steam code to those who forked out for a XBLA copy that never got the save game fixing patch that the 1%ers required. Since Steam copies are free and won't cost Polytron shit. Although that would mean that the burned owners won't buy the game twice, so maybe giving out codes wouldn't fly with Polytron :/

They should do this, its a great idea and they will hopefully make some money back.

Actually why doesn't he use some of that sweet, sweet IGF award money to pay for the patch? They won it twice so that $60,000 has to go somewhere!

They spent it on renting an office, hardware, and living.

Clipper

SydGAF, due to there being so many people having 21st parties, out of town visitors and a bunch of other prior arrangements, I guess we're cancelling the plan to do dinner/drinks on the 28th. Perhaps we'll still do something, but it seems all the potential attendees are already going to be in the same place beforehand, so we'll decide what to do on the day. We'll do a full meetup with everyone else in August, perhaps at a more convenient time.

Board gaming is still on for both the 22nd (Clipper, Doncamatic, Jintor and possibly Rahk) and 28th (Choc, Clipper, Danoss, Doncamatic, Rahk). We still have 2-3 spots for the 22nd and 1 spot for the 28th, so newcomers are still welcome.

What's everyone going to play first, Darksiders II or Sleeping Dogs?

It was probably a silly idea to preorder both.
Darksiders II. I hadn't even heard of Sleeping Dogs, but now that I'm checking it out and seeing it's actually got some adventure rather than just shooting, I might check it out once it gets discounted...

EDIT: sleeping dogs because I don't like dungeon crawlers. Also because I haven't played Darksiders I. Also because I was one of the few people to like, and I know this is a fair stretch now, True Crime: LA.
You consider the Darksider games to be dungeon crawlers? I don't see how...

Probably one of the most important indie titles.

Genuinely curious to know your metric for this. What in particular makes Fez "one of the most important indie titles"?

edit: tl;dr I feel like people are being too hard on Phill just because they don't like him.

You're doing a pretty good job of taking it to the other extreme with your "it couldn't possibly be the developer's fault, clearly everyone else is to blame" stance.

I liked True Crime. I know a few people who had one or the other as well. I THINK I preordered in on GMG....

So I think I might have a girlfriend.
Congrats! Now take her to see TDKR!

It was after IGF I believe. XBLA was THE platform to be on, so of course everyone was clamoring to be on it. I'm not 100% on the specifics but I think the idea was that MS gave them money early for promised sales. PSN was shit back then, and WiiWare has a 40mb limit, which isn't great for many games.
Yeah this is a great point actually, since it was meant to be out on XBLA in 2010 I can certainly recall it being my main platform for DD games compared to the almost ignorance I give it now. I guess I should just chalk it up to desperation on the part of Fish at the time to get some ink on paper, even with such a shitty deal if true (that he paid them, not the other way around).

Microsoft QA missed this, not Polytron. They did their own testing too, but the bug was so minute it was missed by everyone. Or, even worse, MS caught it and because it fell under 'OK bugs' but neglected to tell fish because it didnt break the game. All it did was delete some old save files.
Hard to pass the buck to MS though if Polytron didn't fully test the patch before handing it to MS for certification, they both missed it but you can't say Polytron are in the clear for never testing it on a save file game. Also the bold is a lot more important than you are making it sound, we just had a high profile case of the bullshit that happens when you don't give a shit about save files with Skyrim on PS3. You would hope developers would realise that it could be a painful issue for gamers.
Why would they neglect to tell Fish about the bug? From all accounts MS are very open about their practises to developers and put the onus on the developer to decide what is to be done.

they have admitted the shitty business decisions, which is why i dont get why people are hating them so much for it.
People are hating on them for trying to pass the buck due to the overall agenda of the open letter. By the end of reading it I was really disappointed in the way they pushed it. They put the onus back onto the customer to demand that MS give them another free patch or to wait a few months until they release the proper version of the game on Steam (according to Fish's tweets).

Maybe the Joe Danger remark about PSN buyers of the original game being "beta testers" is still a bit fresh in peoples minds when it comes to buying a product that does not stand up to a consumers idea of a 'complete' game.

They spent it on renting an office, hardware, and living.
I am not inferring that the two lots of $30,000 have been their only source of income. When they payments for the sales of Fez roll in next quarter they could certainly issue the patch with some of that money.

Bfb.gif

Raxum

Congrats Legend!

Also, playing Darksider 2 first because I don't really have an interest in Sleeping Dogs. Then I have 2 weeks to finish it... Well just under 2 weeks because of my 3 day headstart on Guild Wars 2, but anyway. And I believe there's rumours of Path of Exile going into Open Beta around then so I'll be trying to play that as well, looking forward to seeing the Third Act.

Nice work man.

So Ausgaf should i be excited about the OUYA?

I don't see the appeal of it yet. It lets me play games designed for a touch screen with a game pad? How is that possibly going to work. It won't have as big install base as the android tablets or phones so most developers won't be making games optimised for it.

I could be wrong, but without some support from developers I can't see how it's going to be that good.

Not really.

There's a real danger than getting a finished product by March next year is not going to happen. The games may not materialize, especially if devs have to put controller support in them.

It may make an okay media box, though.

The best case scenario is that you'll get a far-less-supported Android device that will be out of date by the time it comes out. The worse case scenario is that it will be vapourware.

Either way you can say that you were part of it.

Raxum

I don't see the appeal of it yet. It lets me play games designed for a touch screen with a game pad? How is that possibly going to work. It won't have as big install base as the android tablets or phones so most developers won't be making games optimised for it.

I could be wrong, but without some support from developers I can't see how it's going to be that good.

See I'm of the mind that because it's supposedly so easy to develop for that it'll end up easier to get games for it, and I would prefer a gamepad for some of the Android RPGs. Kind of dislike covering parts of my viewing area while I'm gaming.

Also, it'll be good as a media box and such, and about as cheap as one. Really, for $99, even if it ends up as a media device it's not really a waste of money...in my opinion.

Edit: Basically, from my point of view, it's an indie game medium, not really for AAA titles, so I don't understand people wanting dev backing for it. It won't be powerful enough to run full on AAA titles, but it will be powerful enough to run nice looking games, that people may or may not have developed without pants on, in their own living room.

Danoss

I think I might skimp on the board games after this one Clip. That or move closer to my location you goose

A more neutral location would be nice to organise at some point. Myself and at least one other travelling from ALL the way out west is a bit rough.

OUYA hasn't even pre-sold 50,000 (even if it sells ten times that, it's still low) consoles. For a developer such a small target market would not be ideal. It's a tiny market when you compare it to even one Android phone (estimates are 30 million Galaxy Nexus phones shipped).

Compare that to more mainstream consoles and the sales are a tiny blip on the radar. The cut is the same with the OUYA store as the Google Play store, Apple App Store and Steam store. With the Steam store having a virtual no cost of entry (though it's hard to get on, who knows what the OUYA store process will be like?) and millions more customers, why anyone would make a game exclusively for the OUYA and not PC is beyond me.

Danoss! What's your feelings about the Kearney situation? You think they can turn it around under someone else?

See I'm of the mind that because it's supposedly so easy to develop for that it'll end up easier to get games for it, and I would prefer a gamepad for some of the Android RPGs. Kind of dislike covering parts of my viewing area while I'm gaming.

Also, it'll be good as a media box and such, and about as cheap as one. Really, for $99, even if it ends up as a media device it's not really a waste of money...in my opinion.

Edit: Basically, from my point of view, it's an indie game medium, not really for AAA titles, so I don't understand people wanting dev backing for it. It won't be powerful enough to run full on AAA titles, but it will be powerful enough to run nice looking games, that people may or may not have developed without pants on, in their own living room.

I see what your saying, but I'm not convinced that'll make it good/worthwhile. Just because something is from an indie developer doesn't mean it will be good. And if it is most of the time one of the big companies will through money hats at the developer to get it/the next project on their console. Which is the way every industry works.

I don't know. Like I said, it could take off, be awesome and I could be way off the mark. I distinctly remember thinking either the DS or the Wii was going to be a giant flop and I was definitely wrong on that one.

So when they say the below about games they are looking to get on it what do you think their chances are?

Okay, your feedback was IMMENSE. In one day, we received over 45,000 suggestions of games you'd like to see on OUYA. We took the data to our resident spreadsheet wiz, and we've come up with a TOP 20 GAME SUGGESTIONS list. We're putting it in your hands once again: tell us which games you want to see on OUYA! Just so you know, the list is randomly ordered. :)
Limbo (Playdead)
Bastion (Supergiant)
Timesplitter (Eidos)
Terraria (Re-Logic)
Minecraft (Mojang)
Final Fantasy (Square)
Super Meat Boy (Team Meat)
League of Legends (Riot)
Mass Effect (EA)
Grand Theft Auto (Rockstar)
Battlefield (EA)
Skyrim (Bethesda)
Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
Call of Duty (Activision)
Need for Speed (EA)
Fez (Polytron)
Torchlight (Runic)
Battletoads (Tradewest)
FIFA (EA)
Dungeon Defenders (Trendy)

Clipper

I think I might skimp on the board games after this one Clip. That or move closer to my location you goose

A more neutral location would be nice to organise at some point. Myself and at least one other travelling from ALL the way out west is a bit rough.

I'm more than happy to do some traveling to a more centralised location in future. Is anybody else capable of hosting now, or have there been any ideas as to different locations we could play in? My other gaming group meets at the Randwick Labor Club, so if somebody has a club nearby that they don't mind joining (you have to join if you live within 5km), perhaps we could do something like that, as they usually have a few areas set up with tables and chairs that are open for members and guests to utilise for leisure. The only condition RLC seems to impose is that we aren't gambling and don't disturb other patrons, of course. Anybody got something like that nearby that is also accessible by PT?

hamchan

So when they say the below about games they are looking to get on it what do you think their chances are?

Okay, your feedback was IMMENSE. In one day, we received over 45,000 suggestions of games you'd like to see on OUYA. We took the data to our resident spreadsheet wiz, and we've come up with a TOP 20 GAME SUGGESTIONS list. We're putting it in your hands once again: tell us which games you want to see on OUYA! Just so you know, the list is randomly ordered. :)
Limbo (Playdead)
Bastion (Supergiant)
Timesplitter (Eidos)
Terraria (Re-Logic)
Minecraft (Mojang)
Final Fantasy (Square)
Super Meat Boy (Team Meat)
League of Legends (Riot)
Mass Effect (EA)
Grand Theft Auto (Rockstar)
Battlefield (EA)
Skyrim (Bethesda)
Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
Call of Duty (Activision)
Need for Speed (EA)
Fez (Polytron)
Torchlight (Runic)
Battletoads (Tradewest)
FIFA (EA)
Dungeon Defenders (Trendy)

Zero chance to get any of those except maybe Minecraft.

Raxum

Some of those are already on Android in some form. Dungeon Defenders, Final Fantasy, some shitty Mass Effect game, GTA, Assassin's Creed by Gameloft, Need for Speed, FIFA.

The only ones I can't see ending up on there are the likes of Battlefield and Skyrim, purely because of the immense power they require, and in the case of skyrim, they couldn't even get it to work smoothly on a PS3 so...

However, there are also a couple of those with Linux versions and such, and some indie devs are willing to cross-platform a lot, like I know bastion is on XBLA, Windows and Linux(not sure what else), so why not an android port with no licensing fees?

And codswallop, that's pre-sold, I would honestly assume that the pre-sold consoles would be gamers and enthusiasts who actually frequent kickstarter or gaming sites. With funding, once it hits stores it might take off with the public as a cheap gaming alternative.

But at the moment it's all speculation, personally I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out and will probably look at getting myself one, if only for the cheap media player to connect to another tv with the possibility of some interesting games.

Fredescu

The only ones I can't see ending up on there are the likes of Battlefield and Skyrim, purely because of the immense power they require, and in the case of skyrim, they couldn't even get it to work smoothly on a PS3 so...
Games are only going to end up on their if the developer thinks it's worth their time. In the case of games that don't already have mobile versions, this seems pretty unlikely. League of Legends for example seems super unlikely.

I realise the consoles are pre-sales (assuming the thing ever comes to fruition, which there's no guarantee it ever will -- see the Phantom for another example of a VC backed console that failed, though many considered it a scam).

The point is, that even in Japan the 360 sold 35,000+ in the first couple of days and a similar number in Australia's first four days. OUYA is going up against the big guys, they're not going to have the numbers and so developers will just go where the audience is. If someone asked me where they should develop "indie games", I'd recommend PC first, iOS second and the Android market third (oh yeah, PSN and XBLA too somewhere in there I guess). If it were easy to add controller support then perhaps OUYA support wouldn't be too bad, but I certainly wouldn't develop exclusively for it.

Robotoki's Human Element is the first officially announced game. And given Bowling has announced that when he has years of development ahead of him (I don't think he even has anyone on payroll yet, does he?), things are going to be pretty slow to move.

I want to believe. But it just ain't happening.

Raxum

Games are only going to end up on their if the developer thinks it's worth their time. In the case of games that don't already have mobile versions, this seems pretty unlikely. League of Legends for example seems super unlikely.

Oh yeah, I forgot about League of Legends, they couldn't even port that to Mac so I doubt it'll ever hit the Ouya. I'm trying really hard to believe in this project. I would like to see it succeed if only so I can play some android RPGs with a controller instead of cutting off part of my viewing area.

I agree somewhat codswallop, though you've also got to look at how hyped and advertised those consoles were, and also the background the 360 had. People were already developing for it because the xbox had been a success. I gotta admit I have a problem with the attitude of not wanting to support it because no devs will move there. No devs will move there if they don't see any consumer support for the product, so if all the people who are worried about it getting no support (which is probably a fair number) don't move there, then it WON'T get the numbers it needs for devs to move there.

As I said, it's $99 (or $119 if you pre-order with shipping), and at worst (if it appears) you get an android based media player for that price, which seems like a good deal to me.

Danoss

Danoss! What's your feelings about the Kearney situation? You think they can turn it around under someone else?

Glad to be rid of him. He seemed like a nice guy, but not one that was capable of getting the job done. Under Kearney, there would be improvements in one area whilst something would be severely sacrificed in another. We went from almost winning a large number of games in 2011 if we'd been that 1% better, to hardly looking like winning a game in 2012.

There wasn't much consistency in any area of the Eels game to state that there was any progress made. Considering he was trying to apply some heavy structure to the game they played, that's not something that you can just let slide. I went to every single home game last year and only missed on of the away games at ANZ Stadium because I was sick. I haven't been to a game for a while this year, and even if I could afford it, it's doubtful I would renew my season ticket next year.

The Eels don't have the best side in the comp, but they have the personnel to be competitive. Whilst there are a number of youngsters/rookies in the side, they have certainly put in the work and some incredible performances. Under the right leadership, I think they could improve a hell of a lot. Those two tries that were scored against the Bulldogs are amongst the best tries I've seen all year, there's great combinations to be had as they demonstrate. The right coach can make it happen for the team as a whole.

One thing I didn't know until earlier this year was that Kearney had no coaching experience. He was an assistant coach to Bellamy and nothing more, he hadn't coached U20's let alone U6's. After hearing that, none of the Eels progress has really been that surprising.

I'm glad the club has cut their losses, I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner; perhaps they had someone in mind but were waiting on a signature or something before they went ahead and let Kearney go. Now we can just move on and hopefully win some games and become a side that has the respect of other teams in the future, though I'm not expecting much from the rest of the year.

Glad to be rid of him. He seemed like a nice guy, but not one that was capable of getting the job done. Under Kearney, there would be improvements in one area whilst something would be severely sacrificed in another. We went from almost winning a large number of games in 2011 if we'd been that 1% better, to hardly looking like winning a game in 2012.

There wasn't much consistency in any area of the Eels game to state that there was any progress made. Considering he was trying to apply some heavy structure to the game they played, that's not something that you can just let slide. I went to every single home game last year and only missed on of the away games at ANZ Stadium because I was sick. I haven't been to a game for a while this year, and even if I could afford it, it's doubtful I would renew my season ticket next year.

The Eels don't have the best side in the comp, but they have the personnel to be competitive. Whilst there are a number of youngsters/rookies in the side, they have certainly put in the work and some incredible performances. Under the right leadership, I think they could improve a hell of a lot. Those two tries that were scored against the Bulldogs are amongst the best tries I've seen all year, there's great combinations to be had as they demonstrate. The right coach can make it happen for the team as a whole.

One thing I didn't know until earlier this year was that Kearney had no coaching experience. He was an assistant coach to Bellamy and nothing more, he hadn't coached U20's let alone U6's. After hearing that, none of the Eels progress has really been that surprising.

I'm glad the club has cut their losses, I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner; perhaps they had someone in mind but were waiting on a signature or something before they went ahead and let Kearney go. Now we can just move on and hopefully win some games and become a side that has the respect of other teams in the future, though I'm not expecting much from the rest of the year.

They're definitely a better team on paper than they are on the standings. Either the system he was running with that team didn't suit them, or they just tuned him out. I haven't seen heaps of Eels games this year, but it seemed like they just weren't giving it their all (except obviously Hindy).

He is the Kiwi coach isn't he? Not nearly the same as getting the out of non-rep stars week in week out though.

Whoever they get long term needs to foster some kind of relationship between Sandow and Haynes. Its obvious, but those two need to fire for Parra to win. Also a Hindmarsh replacement would be handy. That should be easy right? I mean workhorse forwards just grow on trees don't they?

Genuinely curious to know your metric for this. What in particular makes Fez "one of the most important indie titles"?

In terms of history I mean. We will look back on Fez for three things: taking 5 years to develop, being a cautionary tale in learning how the business works and being a cautionary tale in how not to push out patches (ie: impulsively). And it ended having a cool gimmick I guess.

You're doing a pretty good job of taking it to the other extreme with your "it couldn't possibly be the developer's fault, clearly everyone else is to blame" stance.

I'm not saying it couldn't possibly be Fish's fault, in fact I've said it is definitely partly his fault. I'm saying it's not JUST his fault.

Also rep I will not be able to respond to your post properly because I am at work currently and will be busy all weekend but I read it over and I agree mostly. Phil definitely seems like he's trying to blame someone else, but at the same time it seems like he genuinely believes he is not at fault, which we can't blame him for either.
reptilescorpio said:
When they payments for the sales of Fez roll in next quarter they could certainly issue the patch with some of that money.
I particularly agree with this. They definitely should, especialy since it'll still be exclusive. I worry itll be too late though

BJRkv.jpg

Also rep I will not be able to respond to your post properly because I am at work currently and will be busy all weekend but I read it over and I agree mostly. Phil definitely seems like he's trying to blame someone else, but at the same time it seems like he genuinely believes he is not at fault, which we can't blame him for either.
I can understand the frustration for both of them. It sucks that his outgoing persona has caused so much heat for the company and a few poor decisions have hurt consumers as well as himself and his partner.

sazzy

Reposting here since I didn't realize the old thread was capped :(

So I just recently moved to Sydney to attend UNSW. Living in Hornsby with my sister right now, but I'd like to live closer to campus (Kensington campus) for study/work/social life.

I've looked around for places, and have my eye on a few places ranging from 180-220 per week... problem is the accommodation is either dirty/too far/or nutjob roomies.

So any advice? Tips? References to good places? PM will be best since I'll be out all of today and the weekend scouting places.

Thanks!

r1chard

Oh. Hey, presto! I'm now an NBN customer. Or something. Actually, I'm not sure what the deal means to me as an Optus HFC (Cable Internet) customer...

SingTel Optus will hand over its 400,000 HFC network customers to NBN Co and decommission parts of the network following the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s final approval of the AU$800 million HFC asset deal.

The "and decommission parts of the network" bit worries me... hopefully they'll only decommission in areas where the shiny new NBN is available...

Edit: ok, on that point, Delimiter sez:

The national competition regulator has approved an $800 million deal which will see number two telco Optus shut down its HFC cable network and migrate its fixed-line broadband and telephony customers onto the National Broadband Network infrastructure as it is rolled out over the next decade.

midonnay

don't get your hopes up yet.....

who knows what the coalition will do after the next election....

if they go with their mixed technology route....Optus HFC may remain as it is. (or upgraded)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom