• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

I bloody hope so - it's kind of the central pillar to the webcomics business model.

I don't mean many small transactions :) I mean, 20 years later, if the person has not done any more work, should they still be getting paid from that bit of work 20 years earlier?

Jintor

I don't mean many small transactions :) I mean, 20 years later, if the person has not done any more work, should they still be getting paid from that bit of work 20 years earlier?

Are you talking exclusive control + ability to profit from? All rights protected?

Dead Man

Are you talking exclusive control + ability to profit from? All rights protected?

Shit man, I'm not a lawyer, get out of here with those fancy words. It seems to me modern creative endeavours are treated differently to other work since they come with an assumption that the people creating it should be paid every time anyone enjoys the work. Regardless of how much work has been put in. It seems silly for a company to be able to charge for work when the creators of the work are either dead or retir...

Fuck it, I'm too tired. I know there are lots of reason legally why things are the way they are, centuries of tradition and cases and rules etc. I just think there should be a better way to encourage creative works. Or reward non creative works. Or both.

Jintor

I'm not disputing any of that. What annoys me about Vince is that I agree with almost everything he posts yet somehow I still feel like I'm on the other side of the argument. Just because I do shit by the book!

There's always other issues though. You say, why should a person benefit from the work they've created more than 20 years after they've written it, but what do you mean by that? Only that piece? If I write a spin-off 20 years later, isn't the original property still mine? What if I want to re-release it 20 years after; do I retain rights? What about 20 years makes it an arbitrary cutoff date? Why not a lifetime? What about media creators who want to sample or remix or otherwise use my work's presence in popular culture to build off, to annotate, to illustrate a point? Where's the dividing line? What if I make something when I'm only 5 years from death? Can I will my right to profit away? If I can will other rights onwards, why not a right to profit?

Matters are complex.

Fredescu

Complexity doesn't mean they should keep increasing and increasing the amount of time that copyrights are granted for. What is the benefit of companies that exist purely to buy up rights for things in order to sue potential infringers? Why should that Adelaide company be able to buy the rights to Laugh Kookaburra Laugh for $3000 and get a bunch of money from Men At Work?

Danoss

Isn't that something these days that didn't happen previously? By that I mean, copyright lasted a set period of time and then that's it. Now it's a never-ending thing that passes from entity to entity and will not enter the public domain ever if people have it their way.

I don't know shit about it really, but on the limited things I have read, this is how it seems to me.

Jintor

Patent trolling seems an inevitable byproduct of any system where you can sell and trade your own rights (or any subdivision thereof) in connection to a created work. It's shady as fuck though.

Danoss

I love what happened with the works of H.P. Lovecraft, both when he was alive and after his death. He created a mythos that he allowed and encouraged others to use and expand on. He would correspond with and mentor other authors to help them and expand on their ideas too. That was a long time ago where a telephone was a rare thing to have. I think that's pretty awesome, though he lived and died in poverty.

In the communication and 'social' age we live in now, you'd think that this sort of behaviour could thrive and we'd see some amazing collaborative works that would blow our minds. Sadly, it seems the reverse is true and the best of that is in the past where fast and convenient communication wasn't readily available.

There are those rare gems that buck the trend, but there isn't enough of them. It only seems to be commonplace in niche markets and close-knit communities where things aren't as cutthroat as in the corporate world.

Yagharek

Complexity doesn't mean they should keep increasing and increasing the amount of time that copyrights are granted for. What is the benefit of companies that exist purely to buy up rights for things in order to sue potential infringers? Why should that Adelaide company be able to buy the rights to Laugh Kookaburra Laugh for $3000 and get a bunch of money from Men At Work?

Well they have blood on their hands now.

markot

Banned
The fact that anyone could patent something as common as laugh kookabura is crazy. Its like the damn happy birthday patent. Everyone sings it, but put it in a movie and you gotta hand over the cash.

15 years for any and all copyright seems like a good half way point. More than enough time to 'profit' from your discovery or creation.

But its like death + 70 years... first of all, why does it need to go on 70 years after you have died? It should be a flat number, dead or alive, from creation.

hamchan

The fact that anyone could patent something as common as laugh kookabura is crazy. Its like the damn happy birthday patent. Everyone sings it, but put it in a movie and you gotta hand over the cash.

15 years for any and all copyright seems like a good half way point. More than enough time to 'profit' from your discovery or creation.

But its like death + 70 years... first of all, why does it need to go on 70 years after you have died? It should be a flat number, dead or alive, from creation.

Because a person can enjoy the benefits of his creation his entire life and allow his children or grandchildren to enjoy it too? Seems reasonable to me.

sazzy

Hey AusGAF

Don't think anyone knows me here yet, so...

Just recently moved to Sydney, for uni. I was living in Hornsby, with my sis last couple of months. Moved to Randwick last week. So much closer to uni!

Anyone lives around here? Only people I know are my 2 roommates and a guy from one of my classes. Would be fun to hang out or something. Or if there's a GAF meet up coming up?

Haven't been gaming much recently, except a couple if gameson Steam, Eufloria and Defense Grid.

Also play WoW and D3(far less) on and off.

Planning on going clubbing this weekend too.

markot

Banned
The idea of a patent or copyright is to allow someone to profit from their work. That profit should be what the children get, not the copyright.

Also, its ironic but many of Disneys best known films were of things out of copyright.

Dead Man

Because a person can enjoy the benefits of his creation his entire life and allow his children or grandchildren to enjoy it too? Seems reasonable to me.

But then you go back to arguing in the WalMart thread about inheritance and unearned wealth. That's no way to make friends.

Agreed. If I make something, I should own it. Why should someone else should profit off it and not myself, family, trust etc.

Jintor

When's the point of creation, markot? When the idea first rams into your head? When the first prototype is completed? When it makes it to market? The moment you're first paid for it? How's that work with Kickstarter?

When a particular work of art transcends the original vision and becomes a culturally significant work, it should remain available to all who want. We all know the obvious example I'm referring to.

But just to make a conceited example, had Da Vinci come back to life now, would he be allowed to retouch La Gioconda?
Yes. Plain and Simple. Just because you deem my work "culturally significant" does not mean you can wrest control over it from my hands. You can fuck right off if I created something and you tried that with me.

Lucas made a work of "art." It is his. Not yours. Not 'the peoples'. He made choices and negotiations when seeking a deal to bring the vision to life that asserted and maintained his ownership of his art. As much as I dislike his constant meddling with those three films I will support his right to do so. He has no obligation to make sure it remains available to all who want. Since when do the wants of the many overrule the legal rights of the one?

If Da Vinci came back, had legal ownership of the artwork (i.e. not traded all rights to the work in exchange for goods/services) and wanted to paint Mona Lisa's hair green, face white, give her some red lipstick and re-title the piece "why so serious?" he may do so. Would I advise against it it he asked? Sure. Do I have a right to commandeer the artwork for the good and the wants of the people who played no part in it's creation? Fuck no. I struggle to believe that someone that's fights the fight of "This is mine. I paid for it. I will keep it forever." can turn around and say "We'll be taking this, though. Yoink! For the good of the people, you understand. We own that now."

Yo Vince, the people believe it's of cultural significance that we repossess all your books, video games, films, plates, cars, shoes and carpet that you have. You know, because we want it. For the cultural significance.

Why should that Adelaide company be able to buy the rights to Laugh Kookaburra Laugh for $3000 and get a bunch of money from Men At Work?
Reading this made me want to punch a hole in the wall again. This is the day that Australia died for me. A 50+ year old song made for a Girl Guides competition contains some flute that Ham introduced into an already written song means that 30 years later a company that has seized the rights from the descendants can then demand half of the royalties for the song all the way back for the last 30 years! The fuck! I wonder if those cunts ever sued the Welsh to try and scam some money off them!

Hey AusGAF

Just recently moved to Sydney, for uni. I was living in Hornsby, with my sis last couple of months. Moved to Randwick last week. So much closer to uni!

Anyone lives around here? Only people I know are my 2 roommates and a guy from one of my classes. Would be fun to hang out or something. Or if there's a GAF meet up coming up?

Haven't been gaming much recently, except a couple if gameson Steam, Eufloria and Defense Grid.

You have been on GAF for a long long time but you should do the list anyway! Mainly for your Steam ID. And your opinion on bacon and scotch. Because that will determine the overall fondness for you. And what cool thing you will be reincarnated as. I'm going to be a Predator!

sazzy

Don't worry about it. I always feel like that! :)

Don't worry, I always feel that way :p
EDIT: lol fogs.

sadly I don't live in Sydney no mores, so I can't help with your previous post, but hello anyway!

Well us 3 can have our own conversation!! :p

Haha glad to see I'm not alone then!

You have been on GAF for a long long time but you should do the list anyway! Mainly for your Steam ID. And your opinion on bacon and scotch. Because that will determine the overall fondness for you. And what cool thing you will be reincarnated as. I'm going to be a Predator!

Yea I've moved around a whole lot..

Steam ID is in my profile (sazetal).

Scotch is cool, but I like vodka more for not giving me as bad hangovers the next day.

I can only eat bacon when its in a burger or a sandwich..

Had the crystal skull vodka? I hear it's good, despite me assuming it was terrible because of the gimmick. Interested to try it myself.

sazzy

Had the crystal skull vodka? I hear it's good, despite me assuming it was terrible because of the gimmick. Interested to try it myself.

Not yet. Moving/Settling in/School/Looking for part time work are all keeping me from drinking as much as I would like to these days... :\

hamchan

Hey AusGAF

Hi there.

I know some people in Sydgaf meets in Randwick to play board games once in a while.

I assume you're going to my uni lol. What degree are you doing may i ask?

Missing Boondocks, the Black Dynamite TV series is scratching that itch so hard, laughed my arse off through the whole first episode. Great to finally see a new show that I will actually watch every week again. If anyone loved the movie or The Boondocks then get on it!

Really? Same here, avoided it because I assumed it would be low quality.

Damn, now I feel like going on a vodka binge for a few months.

Yagharek

Yes. Plain and Simple. Just because you deem my work "culturally significant" does not mean you can wrest control over it from my hands. You can fuck right off if I created something and you tried that with me.

The rest of your rant kind of detracts from where this debate started, but here's my retort.

Just because you deem your own work "yours" does not mean you can wrest my legally owned copy from my hands. You can fuck right off if I paid for something and you tried that with me.

Danoss

Best vodka I ever had was homemade, using a keg boiler and a reflux still. It produced 95%+ alcohol, which of course, would just be watered down to 40%. It had no taste at all, so you could make alcoholic versions of whatever the hell you wanted with no change in flavour. Brilliant.

Really? Same here, avoided it because I assumed it would be low quality.

Damn, now I feel like going on a vodka binge for a few months.
I only know one guy who's tried it, and he said it was 'surprisingly good', though I don't really know of his existing preferences to vodka. Taste was described to me as really smooth. I like Grey Goose which is often said to be smooth, but others say it's bland so I don't know.

Best vodka I ever had was homemade, using a keg boiler and a reflux still. It produced 95%+ alcohol, which of course, would just be watered down to 40%. It had no taste at all, so you could make alcoholic versions of whatever the hell you wanted with no change in flavour. Brilliant.
Was this true home made vodka or was it the home made alcohol with flavouring (think they call it essence) like most home brew places seem to sell?

Given vodka means water, I wonder whether the original stuff was ever truly meant to ever have any flavour...

The rest of your rant kind of detracts from where this debate started, but here's my retort.

Just because you deem your own work "yours" does not mean you can wrest my legally owned copy from my hands. You can fuck right off if I paid for something and you tried that with me.
So do you deem that because you paid for something you have greater ownership than someone that creates something?

Seriously, I am asking. I am very surprised to see you convey thoughts that "culturally significant" pieces of art should be removed or leveraged from their creators to avoid modification and to be kept for posterity for the greater good of the people.

As someone that been so staunch over their rights over items that you've bought, it seemed diametrically opposed to then have a lesser degree of care about the rights that the creators have over the works that you've bought copies of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom