• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Oh awesome, I think I will like this author. Onto the list it goes!

And ya, Murakami<3 Planning to pick up iq84 for when I'll be travelling a bit in september!

I just finished IQ84 and I don't know if it was worth it. There were a lot of pages where it felt like nothing was happening at all and I'm not sure the payoff was good enough. Still, it's a massive book and it must have been engrossing enough for me to read through all of it.

Yagharek

Millennia of human trade doesn't map well to newer technologically enabled commerce. Try explaining netflix to a 16th century merchant prince.

Try explain why we should give money for no material gain, and something that access to can be rescinded with no recourse for the customers.

A 16th century merchant would understand its a raw deal. Why can't you?

Well, I don't know if I wanna use steam anymore =/

I watched the womens rowing last night. Wake up this morning and turn the tv on, BAM, same race repeated.

senahorse

The trend is going towards this type of DRM and media delivery, it's the inevitable future. I guess you just have to live with it or prepare to find a new hobby.

Jintor

Try explain why we should give money for no material gain, and something that access to can be rescinded with no recourse for the customers.

A 16th century merchant would understand its a raw deal. Why can't you?

I get that it's a raw deal, I'm just saying it's a legal raw deal, which is pretty much how I understand economics anyway. It just so happens that with subscription services companies can actually enforce the licencing agreements that consumers have been signing for years. (I know you already disagree with the idea that even physical software licencing agreements apply, but...)

Put it this way: consumers have been pulling the exact same deal with physical software [largely on a program-by-program basis], with the primary difference being that content owners could never actually revoke the licence and prevent you from using the software, though they always retained the legal right to do so. Technology has moved on; now content owners can.

It's always been a raw deal. The real question is, how and where do you want to fight it?

PS: "Licence to use" but not to take ownership of is a pretty basic part of the bundle of rights you can sign over in a contract, it's been that way for hundreds of years.

Fredescu

Does Itunes have similar rules? I don't think I pay money for any other digital services.
Which rules are you talking about specifically? If it's the one where you waive the right to a class action, I'm not sure. PSN and XBLA definitely do have that. If it's the one where you only own a license and they could revoke your rights to the content or application, then yes, they do.

midonnay

but when your house is on fire I have time to take a shit while you're running around like a headless chook grabbing dead trees >_>

I probably would save some books if my house was aflame :/

Me too =/

Real books look nice - you can have a cool library, they smell nice, they are fun to buy, and nice to hold. You can pluck them off the shelf and flip them open to a random page. Also real books don't hurt your eyes if you look at them for too long. You don't have to recharge a real book - if we run out of power I can keep reading them forever. QED real books are better.

Danoss

The trend is going towards this type of DRM and media delivery, it's the inevitable future. I guess you just have to live with it or prepare to find a new hobby.

0oLXe.jpg

Way ahead of you. No DRM here, and PDF backups of the game books.

Rezbit

What's pandemic like? Been thinking about picking it up for a change of pace from the competitive stuff we usually play.

senahorse

E-ink doesn't either!

Real books are awesome until you have to move house. Then they fucking suck.

. Goddam nearly broke my back moving book boxes around early this year. My kindle has 5 times the amount of books on it and it was just thrown into a backpack.

Danoss that's a damn fine game collection you have there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I pretty much exclusively read on my iPad now. There are no practical benefits to paper copies.

Danoss

What's pandemic like? Been thinking about picking it up for a change of pace from the competitive stuff we usually play.

It's quite fun. We won on the very last player turn the last time we played; it was glorious. I like it because it's kinda like Arkham Horror "game shitting all over you whilst you and other players try to stop it" distilled down into a nice quick play that doesn't overstay its welcome.

There's no fucking around from turn one, you have to keep pace and work your roles together as best as possible to beat the game. Sometimes you can see near the end of the game that you're going to lose, but it's still good.

'Ghost Stories' does a better job thematically (being similar to Arkham Horror, that is), whilst still being brutally hard, but also fun. I haven't personally played it, but it's on my list.

Danoss that's a damn fine game collection you have there.

Thank you. :)

That's only a small portion of it.

Omikron

I pretty much exclusively read on my iPad now. There are no practical benefits to paper copies.

Lending them to people?

Also on Pandemic, it is pretty great co-op game, super hard to actually 'win' and I haven't even tried it on the hardest couple difficulties. :D

Melbgaf
come meet rezbit
beer delux
monday the 6th (yes like 5 days away)
after work till a bit later than that (need to work that out when people confirm they are attending)
guest list: everyone
attending:
banana (6:15/30 - when ever)
i think that sums it up

Danoss

Also on Pandemic, it is pretty great co-op game, super hard to actually 'win' and I haven't even tried it on the hardest couple difficulties. :D

Yeah, I've only played on normal. I cannot even imagine beating it on the hardest difficulty. Then there's the whole 'On the Brink' expansion with the brutal Virulent Strains and Mutations.

Danoss

Yah, I own 'On the brink', but have barely played it. TBH it is worth it just for the petrie dishes :p

It really is. I haven't used the extra stuff in 'On the Brink' except the petri dishes. One day we'll sack up and try some of the more difficult stuff in there.

Finding that page, the one that had the thing on it. You know the one.

The real book owner will beat you to finding whatever it is. Every time.

Campbell Newman says Queenslanders are thankful for the cost cutting which is forcing public service cuts.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...tting-that-bpell/story-e6freon6-1226441112805
weirdest part of the article said:
Are you thankful for public service cutbacks?
Yes
42.77% (553 votes)
No
57.23% (740 votes)
Total votes: 1293

what.

I don't consider this any more inconvenient than needing a light to read in the dark

I guess that's where we differ. When the Apocalypse comes, who will be better prepared with reading material?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Finding that page, the one that had the thing on it. You know the one.

The real book owner will beat you to finding whatever it is. Every time.
I mean, the e-book owner can just type in a few keywords into the integrated search bar?

How did 42% of people say yes?!?! This state is more messed up than I thought.
Many people think government workers are a waste of resources due to massive bureaucracies (why can I never type that word right the first time?) bogging things down. Streamlining the public sector is seen as a good thing by those many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom