• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Was this true home made vodka or was it the home made alcohol with flavouring (think they call it essence) like most home brew places seem to sell?

Given vodka means water, I wonder whether the original stuff was ever truly meant to ever have any flavour...

The essences are for like bourbon and scotch, and they're absolutely wretched. My old friends expected similar quality to the bottled stuff and were shocked when it wasn't; I just laughed in their faces.

This was ethanol and water, nothing more, and that's what vodka should be. If you had a sip, it's like drinking water that has the alcohol burn to it, it's surreal if you haven't experienced it before.

The reason bottled vodka in shops has a flavour is because to make it on that scale, they need to use pot stills. Pot stills will not make alcohol concentrations as high as a reflux still can, and will retain more of the flavour of the original wash because of this. Reflux stills are great at putting out very close to pure ethanol, but do so in far lesser volumes. To distill down 25L of wash in a reflux still takes between 3-4 hours, you have to monitor it for the whole duration, tweaking water flows to control the temperature. This nets about 3-4L of high percentage ethanol.

I will say some of the liqueur additives are really good. There's a Baileys, and a Kahlua clone from Samuel Willards that are fucking amazing, but they're good for a mixer and nothing more; if you like to drink them straight, they're not for you. I've heard the Butterscotch Schnapps and Triple Sec ones are meant to be decent, but I haven't tried them. Outside of them, I wouldn't touch any other of the flavoured mixtures.

Yagharek

So do you deem that because you paid for something you have greater ownership than someone that creates something?

It's an easy answer depending on the product.

Star Wars should be available to buy both as original, SE and Ruined versions.

Obviously with a one of a kind product like a painting, it depends if someone bought it or not. If the artist is living and it is owned/donated to a museum or gallery, then sure - why not. If a private collector has bought it then its up to them whether they allow access to it or not.

But where the piece of work is something that can be mass produced in terms of copies (prints, albums, games, books etc), why should the author/s be able to remove the rights of people to access the original versions they love? They can make new editions, they should be able to if they want. But the problem as it stands now is that the original versions are destroyed, are not archived, and in some cases are held in far higher esteem than later versions.

I find it baffling that you choose to argue this point. You must be misunderstanding something.

Rezbit

Melbgaf Meetup Maybe

Okay so instead of Monday whenever now we are looking at Friday arvo, as coincidentally cods and I are both going to game masters at acmi. Also maybe beer and food.

Maybe Rezbit
Maybe cods
Maybe banana

Any interest in this last minute once in a lifetime event?

Post for a new page! Otherwise I will be in town from like 1 tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Spent nearly 60 hours in Fallout New Vegas trying to talk my way through everything, keep everyone happy, have no-one angry with me.

Finally cut sick on a camp of one faction. Cut through swathes of them with my high powered Sniper rifle and ooooooooooooooooh my it is a lot of fun just massacring people rather than talking through the pros and cons of adopting slavery as your main election point!

But where the piece of work is something that can be mass produced in terms of copies (prints, albums, games, books etc), why should the author/s be able to remove the rights of people to access the original versions they love?
What right? What right do you have to tell someone how and in what form they should release their art. Apart from much else, all art is an expression of self or conveyance of a message. People change and sometimes their art no longer represents how they feel. Perhaps their skill didn't allow them to fully convey what they wanted. Perhaps they just no longer want to produce more copies of it. If they wish to no longer allow people access to that, so be it. It's their work. That's their right. You still have the right to own the reproductions that you love. You don't get to demand they produce more.

You're telling me that your personal preferences takes precedence over anything the artist wants?

I find it baffling that you choose to argue this point. You must be misunderstanding something.
I find it baffling that you claim to have a right to someone else's work that exceeds their own. A work that they own and you don't.

Gazunta

I don't mean many small transactions :) I mean, 20 years later, if the person has not done any more work, should they still be getting paid from that bit of work 20 years earlier?
That's still the webcomics model (Actually, it's a LOT of things model, but I'm working with what I know). There's a comic online I drew 20 years ago, and I'm still making money* off it now from the little Google Ad box next to it.

I consider it like a savings account. Every day I "add" a little bit to it (by doing a new comic) and it eventually all piles up into a significant amount of work I can continue to generate income** off.

* one hundredth of a fraction of a cent a year

** one fraction of a cent a month

A debit Card is a card that draws from funds that you have in the bank, usually from a savings account. Unlike a credit card where you draw upon funds that you don't have and pay back later.

This was ethanol and water, nothing more, and that's what vodka should be. If you had a sip, it's like drinking water that has the alcohol burn to it, it's surreal if you haven't experienced it before.
Great, now I'm going to have to find a way to get or make some of this...

Guy at work raves about it.
Is he much of a vodka drinker? Maybe I'll pick this up sooner rather than later.

Wait, you're not saying that Fox MUST sell the original Star Wars movies, are you? Sure, any that are out there should remain (despite Lucas trying to destroy existing prints), but your comment suggests something else entirely. They'd sell the originals, too, I'm sure, but given Lucas owns the rights why should he be compelled to sell the originals if he doesn't want to?

Wait, you're not saying that Fox MUST sell the original Star Wars movies, are you? Sure, any that are out there should remain (despite Lucas trying to destroy existing prints), but your comment suggests something else entirely. They'd sell the originals, too, I'm sure, but given Lucas owns the rights why should he be compelled to sell the originals if he doesn't want to?
No, that seems to be what Vince is saying. The people have the right to compell a creator to sell their preferred versions. On demand.

Jintor

Vince's 'greater good' theory seems to retract authorial control from the author on the basis that they'll fall into the public domain eventually. Which is... I don't know... bizarre.

Re: anti patent troll legislation, check this out. Doesn't seem to do much to deter patent trolls who have a decent case, but should stop things from tying up the system at least. Of course, I'd much prefer an overall software patent overhaul, but in the meantime...

Yagharek

What right? What right do you have to tell someone how and in what form they should release their art. Apart from much else, all art is an expression of self or conveyance of a message. People change and sometimes their art no longer represents how they feel. Perhaps their skill didn't allow them to fully convey what they wanted. Perhaps they just no longer want to produce more copies of it. If they wish to no longer allow people access to that, so be it. It's their work. That's their right. You still have the right to own the reproductions that you love. You don't get to demand they produce more.

You're telling me that your personal preferences takes precedence over anything the artist wants?

I find it baffling that you claim to have a right to someone else's work that exceeds their own. A work that they own and you don't.

Sigh.

I have the right, once they make and sell their "art", to maintain access to it in perpetuity. That's all I am saying, all I have ever been saying.

If they want to change the original, good luck to them. But they shouldn't have the right to destroy or erase from existence an original and single piece work where a co-existent edited version can suffice.

But no, you would be happy to see "artists" like Lucas destroy an original work and make it unattainable in favour of his new abominations.

No, that seems to be what Vince is saying. The people have the right to compell a creator to sell their preferred versions. On demand.

Complete misunderstanding on your part. I'm saying they don't have the right to destroy the original.

Danoss

Great, now I'm going to have to find a way to get or make some of this...

If you're ever in Sydney, let me know and I'll see if I can contact my old deadshit mates to get some for you. If you have fair warning, let me know and they may whip up a batch if they don't have any on-hand.

If you want to make it at home, here's a price list from Keg King. You'll need the keg boiler, reflux still, and the reflux still mounting equipment (tri-clover) on pages 26 and 27. Outside of that you'll need a large water reservoir (mates used an Otto bin, don't worry, this never comes in contact with your booze), a water pump, appropriate hosing, flow control valve and one of those IR temperature sensors so you can monitor the temp at the top of the still itself. I'll assume you have carboys and whatnot to make your wash.

My mates went through the local homebrew shop to get the gear from Keg King. I'm sure you can go direct if you want to. Their KegMaster Series 3 on page 1 is awesome too, by the way. Beer on tap at home is fantastic.

Jintor

Jase is saying the author has the sole right alone to control how - and what version of - their works are sold, not that they can break into your house and break your original.

Man, I missed out on two TMBG albums? Fuck yes, indie music bundle and spotify.

Danoss

But no, you would be happy to see "artists" like Lucas destroy an original work and make it unattainable in favour of his new abominations.

On this topic, I wish I could find the blog, podcast or whatever it was that I was that said this, but goddamn it was funny. Referring to Star Wars, something along the lines of:

"George Lucas is a hack and it was pure coincidence that audiences happened to like something he produced."

Ugh fuck mobile neogaf still. Cant scroll to bottom of posts
Sup new guy. Are you planing on staying for more than 10 posts?
Rez whats going on? are we just doing a propper meet tomorrow evening?

Yagharek

Jase is saying the author has the sole right alone to control how - and what version of - their works are sold, not that they can break into your house and break your original.

No he isnt, he is saying a customer doesnt have the right to view/read/listen to an original version if the artist doesnt want.

Read his last post ffs.

Jintor

Jase said:

Release their art, not control how you consume it forever. He doesn't disagree with your "you bought it, you bought it" notion, only the idea that the public can force artists to tailor their releases to public expectations on some ill-defined right.

Yagharek

Release their art, not control how you consume it forever. He doesn't disagree with your "you bought it, you bought it" notion, only the idea that the public can force artists to tailor their releases to public expectations on some ill-defined right.

His last post. Read it again. And again if necessary. He does take issue with me maintaining access to an original version.

Perhaps they just no longer want to produce more copies of it. If they wish to no longer allow people access to that, so be it. It's their work. That's their right. You still have the right to own the reproductions that you love. You don't get to demand they produce more.

Jintor

I'd wait for him to clarify that post, assuming he's not actually out, given that it contradicts with what he said earlier.

Danoss

I should devote the rest of my life to become a great artist, so many people will admire my art. My painted portraits will sell to private collections for millions and be shown in museums so many can appreciate my great works. Books will be written about my artistic style, which will be deconstructed and heavily discussed to be taught in art classes.

Then I wait, for about 20 years. Then I shall enter the museums and ask private collectors for a look at my works. Then I shall draw moustaches and goatees on the peoples faces in crayon. I will do this because the art is mine forever, and somehow that entitles me to do whatever the fuck I want with it.

Vince, at what point have I said "the artist has the right to destroy anything that you've bought"? That's utter bullshit and you know it. This all started with me replying to this:

If I want to read a book or listen to music, I should be able to do so anywhere. If I want to lend a game or cd to a friend, I should be able to. If I want to see a film then I should be able to find the original version and not some bastardised remake only that changes key events and adds in retrospective rubbish.

With this:
I agree with everything you said in the above paragraph apart from the last sentence. I'm not sure if you put it there for a laugh or if you mean it but you don't actually have a right to decide what form of a movie or book or play an artist or company releases or needs to keep in print. In fact, that point is the antithesis of your whole argument. What makes you feel you have the right to tell an artist which form of his art you prefer and needs to make available for you but is unable to dictate terms to you?
Clearly from the outset you have had the opinion that publishers and artists need to keep the original version (your preferred version) in print regardless of what the owner wants.

I clearly responded to this by saying you don't have the right to tell a publisher or artist what version they need to keep in print.

You responded by saying:
When a particular work of art transcends the original vision and becomes a culturally significant work, it should remain available to all who want. We all know the obvious example I'm referring to.

How you can claim that this suddenly changed to me saying it was okay for a publisher to destroy a copy you already bought is utter, utter, utter bullshit. The fact that you can claim I'm arguing for this, and you are defending this position is contradicted not only by the above posts of yours but because the the following two quotes:

I have the right, once they make and sell their "art", to maintain access to it in perpetuity.
seem to indicate that you're incredibly upset that Lucas changed your precious Original Trilogy and won't be happy until he releases it on blu-ray. Or whatever. I don't care at this point.

I really don't see the point of continuing a conversion where you change what the subject is about and don't tell me which argument you're ascribing to me.

Danoss

Speaking of art

Reminds me of this amazing art. As shown below.

a9wWu.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Today I cooked poached eggs for the first time. I always go fried or boiled. Never poached. I think they turned out okay for a first effort.

poachp8fhu.jpg

http://youtu.be/fKk0zcJ7GqE

MelbGaf Meet MOVED TO TODAY!!!!!!

(sorry i could only find this shit version)
Rezbit and Cods are meeting for lunch and game masters
everyone else either join them then or after work at beer delux
everyone is going so dont worry about that
please reply with a time you can get there

Quote for secrets

edit: somethings gone wrong here

Gor@n

Neo Member
The essences are for like bourbon and scotch, and they're absolutely wretched. My old friends expected similar quality to the bottled stuff and were shocked when it wasn't; I just laughed in their faces.

It also depends on what you are using to produce the spirit. Some use fermented fruits such as grapes and plums, others use potatoes or grain. That adds alot of flavour too. While i agree the general essences are poop, the aniseed one aint too bad.

Today I cooked poached eggs for the first time. I always go fried or boiled. Never poached. I think they turned out okay for a first effort.

The wife pretty much demands poached eggs, loves her eggs benedict. I like them too when the white is nice and soft but not runny and the yolk is nice and runny.

senahorse

Get these for poaching eggs, makes it so easy. Boil water (not rolling boil) , spray pod, put egg in and boil for 5 minutes for a perfect egg every time. Of course you need to add some hollandaise and pepper for the perfect benedict breakfast.

IMG_6110.JPG

Stackboy

Pretty disappointed in our nation at the moment. Treating silver or bronze as a huge loss. Meanwhile, NZ is going crazy over bronze medals.

senahorse

Pretty disappointed in our nation at the moment. Treating silver or bronze as a huge loss. Meanwhile, NZ is going crazy over bronze medals.

Hopefully it will be humbling, especially now that we no longer have dominance in the pool (where most of our golds used to come come from).

Second's just a fancy name for first loser. There shouldn't even be silver or bronze medals, just the gold. Don't mollycoddle the losers and they might be encouraged to work harder and perform better next time. Do they pass out participation medals to everyone else?

lolsportsculture

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The only good thing to come out of any Olympics was The Dream.

The wife pretty much demands poached eggs, loves her eggs benedict. I like them too when the white is nice and soft but not runny and the yolk is nice and runny.

I gotta have my yolks runny, poaches or fried or whatever. Runny yolks on toast is the best.

Get these for poaching eggs, makes it so easy. Boil water (not rolling boil) , spray pod, put egg in and boil for 5 minutes for a perfect egg every time. Of course you need to add some hollandaise and pepper for the perfect benedict breakfast.

Ooo. They look helpful. Thing is, I'm one of those people that would buy something like this and forget to use them every time.

What's that on the eggs?

An assortment of herbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom