• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1chard

I know for phones you need a Japanese address, and they use something called usim. It doesn't seem to look any different to a regular sim, but my Japanese phone only reads that (my optus sim is region incompatible). I have no idea if this is helpful, since you should be able to buy a sim from a convenience store. If you can get it, softbank is probably the best company if you're just calling people within Japan. Something like 300¥ for unlimited texting on prepaid.
USIMs are physically the same, they just have some slightly different software on them. The Nexus will use a USIM just fine.

To make things easier, there's companies like eConnect Japan that will have the SIM delivered to your hotel (or picked up at the airport in some situations.) No idea how their rates compare.

Aon

The Amazon pc games sales guy said he does a little dance around his bed every morning he wakes up to find the Steam sale hasn't started yet.

The Amazon pc games sales guy said he does a little dance around his bed every morning he wakes up to find the Steam sale hasn't started yet.

Well that's more sales to Amazon. Wouldn't it be great if there was no Steam sale and everyone is just getting themselves worked up over nothing?

Choc

Banned
Well that's more sales to Amazon. Wouldn't it be great if there was no Steam sale and everyone is just getting themselves worked up over nothing?

Valve does like surprises

Maybe no sale is the surprise or maybe they realised it affects new game sales

jambo

Maybe no sale is the surprise or maybe they realised it affects new game sales

I've read in multiple Valve interviews that they keep selling the same amount of stock for weeks after a sale.

They're just getting the HL3 announcement ready...

Aon

According to the Amazon guy though, there's also a negative aspect for him in that people will wait to see the hypothetical steam price for a game before they're willing to accept that Amazon has the best price.

It's a weird world.

Omikron

According to the Amazon guy though, there's also a negative aspect for him in that people will wait to see the hypothetical steam price for a game before they're willing to accept that Amazon has the best price.

It's a weird world.

No one likes to feel they lost out and spent $0.50 more than they needed to.

Gazunta

I have been known to turn other people into giant space lesbians, it's true!

There's gotta be a billion pictures of me online, right?

Salazar

Oh gosh, I have no idea how I did :/

Completely normal.

I'm not going to make it to BrisGAF. I've got a paper to deliver first thing the next morning (it's going to be a goddamn early start to even make it there on time) and there is just too much to organise.

And I need to meditate, I guess. Travelling up and back the night before would not help me chill.

Fredescu

Maybe no sale is the surprise

"Is surprise party! She no here! That is surprise!"

manuel2.jpg

Completely normal.

I'm not going to make it to BrisGAF. I've got a paper to deliver first thing the next morning (it's going to be a goddamn early start to even make it there on time) and there is just too much to organise.

And I need to meditate, I guess. Travelling up and back the night before would not help me chill.
Aww:( good luck with the paper!

Kirby102

20k for AusGAF 6!

...also, I am in need of assistance from SydGAF. I am going to stay in the city overnight and I want to leave my car somewhere. Are there any cheap overnight carparks? Planning on staying at the Grace Hotel for 3 nights... and it ain't looking pretty. :(

Completely normal.

That's a shame. I was looking forward to getting you wasted on schnapps.

Fredescu

...also, I am in need of assistance from SydGAF. I am going to stay in the city overnight and I want to leave my car somewhere. Are there any cheap overnight carparks? Planning on staying at the Grace Hotel for 3 nights... and it ain't looking pretty. :(
Which three days? It makes a big difference. If it's all weekdays, you're fucked. Weekend rates are generally pretty good, but on weekdays you pay through the nose. The best way might be to use overnight airport parking and train it into the city for the weekday, then park somewhere with decent weekend rates for the weekend days. That's still gonna set you back about $50.

Kirby102

Which three days? It makes a big difference. If it's all weekdays, you're fucked. Weekend rates are generally pretty good, but on weekdays you pay through the nose. The best way might be to use overnight airport parking and train it into the city for the weekday, then park somewhere with decent weekend rates for the weekend days. That's still gonna set you back about $50.
Heading in Friday night, so yeah weekend rates I suppose. Hmm yeah that's gonna be quite cumbersome having to train to the airport to get to the car haha. I will have to find other places then. Thanks!

Fredescu

Heading in Friday night, so yeah weekend rates I suppose. Hmm yeah that's gonna be quite cumbersome having to train to the airport to get to the car haha. I will have to find other places then. Thanks!
I use this one a bit, and it's near Grace Hotel: http://www.carparking.info/Sydney/Wilson-Parking-Citipark/431-Kent-Street.aspx (click on special rates)

If you arrived after 5pm Friday you could pay the evening rate, but the rules are a bit unclear. You might have to exit before 5am Saturday and then drive back in again to get the weekend rate. Also you'll have to be careful about what time you leave on Monday morning.

Choc

Banned
Not fond of public transport and wanting to go to Manly and Bondi to check out some attractions there. And I do not want to resort to having to carry luggage on trains getting to/from the hotel.

driving in sydney, bondi and manly, is quite insane really.

Manly isn't so bad but Bondi is bloody horrendous @ the best of times. and the CBD can be an absolute nightmare.

Public transport to bondi is a much better bet because finding a park can be difficult, unless you want to pay $20 an hour at the beach.

Manly i get, but then you miss out on the brilliant harbour ferry Circular Quay to Manly which shows the harbour at its best. 45 min trip and its nice. Not expensive either.

Kritz

Banned
Just spied the meetup bench after half an hour of circling around the building / outside. Might go grab some shitty lunch and go check in to my hotel.

Fredescu

Not fond of public transport and wanting to go to Manly and Bondi to check out some attractions there. And I do not want to resort to having to carry luggage on trains getting to/from the hotel.
Concur with Choc. None of those places are car friendly. Your hotel is only 300m from a train station.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
database basics

if i'm making a list of fields in a section of a database

say

code
name
description
owner

how do I say which is mandatory? or is that for the key?

Choc

Banned

Jintor

Choccers, EB definitely selling Theatrhythm right now? I checked in at JB before my interview, they don't got shit.

Think I should grab Spec Ops for $25 off Amazon now or see if it goes even lower in the inevitable but so far non-existent Steam sales?

Omikron

primary key is hidden i nthe background so thats ok.

don't allow nulls on the fields? what does that mean :(

haha, what app/platform/program you using for the db?

Null is computer speak for nothing, disallowing this on a field means the user must input *something*. Although there is no validation around what they may enter apart from teh overall data type.

MSSQL for eg:
k3M44.png

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
haha, what app/platform/program you using for the db?

Null is computer speak for nothing, disallowing this on a field means the user must input *something*. Although there is no validation around what they may enter apart from teh overall data type.

MSSQL for eg:
k3M44.png

I'm writing it up in word lol.

customer wants an overview of the database.. db itself is sql, so your image helps :)

>_> whats the data type for a tick box and for a custom lookup? :(

BrisGAF meet up you say? A shame I don't live in- oh wait, I *do* live in Brisbane, and I work in the city.

I'm pretty lurky around here, but I check out this thread often enough. I'll see how I'm going towards the end of the day.

What are you guys planning on doing this eve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom