• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Dude. I said I was going to be nice to you this week and you throw it back in my face. You can take your Steam codes and shove them up your arse, you monster :(

PS. DeathJr banned? Anyone know why? Haven't checked his history yet.

yummmmmm

cheesecake is best cake
Baked NY-style cheesecake is fucking AMAZING. But I have this gnarly lactose intolerance that sends them straight through me if I don't have mah Lacteze tablets :/

PPS. I think Death was banned for using "M$" in a thread? Didn't know it was ban-worthy, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was (given it can be seen as trolly).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I think he got banned because he suggested he was going to make his own kebab.

That shit is a bannable offense people!

Jintor

Oh yeah, I guess I shouldn't bother with a sandwich today then.

I've decided to get a bookdepository shipment this afternoon that should last me another half-year or so before I need to get more books. Here's my basket so far:

Cosmos, Carl Sagan
Working, Studs Turkel
Hogfather, Terry Pratchett
Hat Full of Sky, Terry Pratchett
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
No Logo, Naomi Klein
The Journalist and the Murderer, Janet Malcolm
Life Itself, Roger Ebert
Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Paul Ham
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

Anything cheap I should toss in as well? Thoughts? Likely to pull the trigger when I get back from uni. Got a 10% off coupon code as well. Looking for more light-hearted fiction, I think.

Was a monumental effort getting out of bed this morning to go for a run. Lay there for maybe 15 minutes willing myself out.

I've been out of it this entire week. Need to restart next week or I'm going to fall out of the habit entirely and that would suck real bad considering I barely do any other habitual exercise

Fusebox

Banned
50 Shades of Grey!

Fixed.

;)

Lol, took me a sec to get that one! Very clever.

Haven't been out to a pub for a while. On my way home after hanging out with friends (one of them newish) at The Aberchrombie in the city where many jugs were consumed, they serve a deep fried Golden Gaytime which is just heavenly. Met some new people and had a great time. Same again next Thursday too. Big deal for me, so I'm happy.

Deep fried Golden Gaytime omg I'm going there later I have to try this.

Shaneus

Deep Fried Golden Gaytime sounds like something you order at a male whorehouse. I guess.

I've decided to get a bookdepository shipment this afternoon that should last me another half-year or so before I need to get more books. Here's my basket so far:

Cosmos, Carl Sagan
Working, Studs Turkel
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
No Logo, Naomi Klein
Life Itself, Roger Ebert
Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Paul Ham.

Anything cheap I should toss in as well? Thoughts? Likely to pull the trigger when I get back from uni. Got a 10% off coupon code as well. Looking for more light-hearted fiction, I think.
Have you read Hitchhiker's Guide? You should (I couldn't dig the last one though, something about knowing DA didn't write the whole thing made it feel off). If you have, read the Dirk Gently series.

Lol, took me a sec to get that one! Very clever.
I don't get it :(

Dude. I said I was going to be nice to you this week and you throw it back in my face. You can take your Steam codes and shove them up your arse, you monster :(
:D

PPS. I think Death was banned for using "M$" in a thread? Didn't know it was ban-worthy, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was (given it can be seen as trolly).
Has midonay ever been let back after his comment? Wasn't it something similar, like "microbots can't afford $0.30 lol"

I had a kebab yesterday! I'll take a photo of my equally unhealthy lunch for today.
As long as you don't offer to post photos of yesterday's kebab today, you can do whatever you want.

I've been out of it this entire week. Need to restart next week or I'm going to fall out of the habit entirely and that would suck real bad considering I barely do any other habitual exercise
The enboldened part is the dangerzone of your statement (speaking from my own personal point of view and experience). You need to start tomorrow, not next week. Next week gives you another 3 days of not running and breaking the habit further.

I had to stop myself from doing the "next week" thing, too. "Next week" is self-foolin' doubletalk for "probs not no biggie if not cause I didn't set a day for realz." If nothing else you need to set the day, preferably in the next day or two.

The best thing you can do for yourself is force yourself to go for a run on days you desperately wish not to. It builds character, for one, and removes the excuse of "giving permission to yourself for skipping a day because you're tired/sad/happy/bashful/comatose." Which in turn makes it a lot harder to skip days and not feel guilty about it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

Cosmos, Carl Sagan
Working, Studs Turkel
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
No Logo, Naomi Klein
Life Itself, Roger Ebert
Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Paul Ham
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

Add

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Pale Fire by Vladmir Nabakov
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Demon-haunted World by Carl Sagan
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Byson

Get the first one above all else, since it's like my favorite book of all-time and immensely readable.

Danoss

Deep fried Golden Gaytime omg I'm going there later I have to try this.

It is so very good. We also had a deep fried brownie and mopped up the remnants of the Golden Gaytime with it. Combining those two flavours was amazing.

I don't have much in the way of light-hearted fiction in my book collection. The closest I have would be a light read at least and I enjoyed its style.

Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig

Shaneus

Fuck, I should start running. Or walking.

Next week.

:p

PS. Golden Gaytime, most underrated ice-cream ever. Often overlooked, never surpassed.

PPS. Gazunta's not going to blow his own cartridgetrumpet, so I will:
ZLXfRKG.jpg

Danoss

I'll do this with you, from a distance. I've decided I need to do this as well since I don't go out enough for that to be exercise in itself (working retail and walking around all day was great for that). I walk up stairs at the train station instead of the escalator because I should and it fucking kills me every time, that's a bad sign that I need to get my arse moving.

Golden Gaytime, most underrated ice-cream ever. Often overlooked, never surpassed.

Totally is!

I was only told last night that there is such a thing as a Monaco bar. When it was described to me, it sounded like the biscuit part of a Maxibon, which is the best part of a Maxibon. Another bar in Sydney deep fries them too, turns out one of the people I was with last night knows the awesome cook that came up with the idea and got these pubs doing them. I'm sure it's wonderful, but it's no Golden Gaytime; you can't beat that coating!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
帛戩乞朘, 帛趒墁蓤界腏莑腏蒐洳。

Edit: fixed it!

For some reason my phone decide to change languages overnight.

You need to start tomorrow, not next week.
Or start today, if you can make (not find! you'll never find it) the time.

I'll do this with you, from a distance.
Get a C25K (Couch to 5K) app, and get started today, or tomorrow morning. I started in January on a whim with no real reasoning behind it, thinking I'd hate running. Then, after half a dozen sessions I told myself that I'd started something so may as well try to finish it, to at least accomplish something. I "graduated" about a month ago and have been running 5km distances since. I've not pushed much further yet because I want to feel at least a little plateau where I don't feel wrecked for a week or two before I think about moving forward. But I can't really make much more time in the mornings to run much farther anyway.

I don't love running (at least not yet, is it a thing that happens?), but I do like being able to have the time to listen to podcasts and just sort of zone out for a little while. I've been running mostly in the morning (originally was afternoons but it was way too hot in March) and find that in the morning sets me up nicely for the day. It's also cool watching the sun rise and not having to worry about feeling self conscious that I'm not wearing the best running gear or that my legs flick out to the sides or whatever else I'm feeling that day because there's hardly anyone around.

Just like with this morning, it can be tough to get out of bed, or will myself to go and run, but once I do I never regret having done it.

Gazunta

ああ全くクマはどのようにこれをすることができます運転されていません

ああ全くクマはどのようにこれをすることができます運転されていません
Frasier stole this plot device.

Free Grill'd burger from Southern Cross in Melbourne from now until 3pm!

Why the fuck does the SEN account management page has a method to deactivate consoles which only leads to a message saying you have to do it from the console? Idiots.
Beta! They won't clean it all up until PS4 launch now.

Started a thread that had already been made, used M$, gets a ban.

This place is fucking loopy in terms of moderation. You see threadshitting and personal attacks every day that are allowed because they are popular posters.

Eh, not as bad as other sites I guess. Hopefully it is only for a week.

Cosmos, Carl Sagan
Working, Studs Turkel
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
No Logo, Naomi Klein
Life Itself, Roger Ebert
Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Paul Ham.

These are my favourite Discworld books which are really light-hearted and fun.

Making Money (also cheap cover copy or fancy mature cover)

Reaper Man (also cheap cover copy or fancy mature cover)

Pyramids (also cheap cover copy or fancy mature cover)

Going Postal (also cheap cover copy or fancy mature cover)

Thief of Time (also cheap cover copy or fancy mature cover)

The Truth (you need to read this since you are in journalism!) (also cheap cover copy or fancy mature cover)

OG art covers are still the best.

Danoss

Get a C25K (Couch to 5K) app, and get started today, or tomorrow morning.

I can't run for very far or for prolonged periods. My left knee is buggered from a motorcycle accident and my right ankle healed poorly from a sports injury in high school. The added weight on top of those exacerbates these problems. I can walk though, and apparently as long as I do so briskly it's fine (for me and for weight loss potential).

As long as the heart rate is up it will be helping. I need to get back into it, might have to make it a morning thing too as evenings are out due to the stabbings.

I don't love running (at least not yet, is it a thing that happens?), but I do like being able to have the time to listen to podcasts and just sort of zone out for a little while. I've been running mostly in the morning (originally was afternoons but it was way too hot in March) and find that in the morning sets me up nicely for the day. It's also cool watching the sun rise and not having to worry about feeling self conscious that I'm not wearing the best running gear or that my legs flick out to the sides or whatever else I'm feeling that day because there's hardly anyone around.
I love running and for all the reasons that you mentioned. Podcast time, lost in thought time, makes me more prepared for the day by waking up my mind and body.

It worth buying a good pair of shoes if you're running fair distances regularly but I don't worry about the clothes I'm wearing. Shitty shorts and my worst shirts. They get trashed on the distances that I've been running and I've got plenty of crappy shirts. I don't really care what other people think of what I'm wearing because if I wore nice clothes I would just the nicely-dressed-stinky-drenched-in-sweat guy.

But, I do miss it on the days that I don't go running first thing. My day feel flatter and my body craves the endorphins they gets. It's now an addiction, but a socially acceptable addiction.

As long as the heart rate is up it will be helping. I need to get back into it, might have to make it a morning thing too as evenings are out due to the stabbings.
You can probably count the stabbing as exercise, rep. And the run after the victim. And from the crime scene. It all counts, dude.

Oh also having a stomach bug at the same time as your wife while having to take care of a child is not fun.
SOMEONE COME TAKE MY POSSIBLY INFECTED CHILD AWAY SO I CAN GET SOME SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

You can probably count the stabbing as exercise, rep. And the run after the victim. And from the crime scene. It all counts, dude.

I don't have time for all that mumbo jumbo though! If I have to do all this other stabbing/running/scheming it will really cut into my trawl-internet-for-bargains time!

Fusebox said:
I've never heard of C25K before this post, I just bought Zombies Run 5K and I'm gonna do it, thanks for the tip!
Just checked it out, I was using the regular C25K app but this looks like a lot more fun!

Jintor

Have you read Hitchhiker's Guide? You should (I couldn't dig the last one though, something about knowing DA didn't write the whole thing made it feel off). If you have, read the Dirk Gently series.

Already got a Hitchhikers omnibus and all the Dirk Gently books (inc. Salmon of Time). Cheers though. (Personally Adam's best book was the nonfiction Last Chance to See)

Add

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Pale Fire by Vladmir Nabakov
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Demon-haunted World by Carl Sagan
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Byson

Get the first one above all else, since it's like my favorite book of all-time and immensely readable.

Awesome, will look into it. I have a copy of Moby Dick around somewhere though.

These are my favourite Discworld books which are really light-hearted and fun.

Making Money (also cheap cover copy or fancy mature cover)

Reaper Man (also cheap cover copy or fancy mature cover)

Pyramids (also cheap cover copy or fancy mature cover)

Going Postal (also cheap cover copy or fancy mature cover)

Thief of Time (also cheap cover copy or fancy mature cover)

The Truth (you need to read this since you are in journalism!) (also cheap cover copy or fancy mature cover)

OG art covers are still the best.

I've got all of them except Pyramids, and I've already read I'm pretty sure every Discworld book... I'm just buying them now > >. Cheers nonetheless.

I don't have much in the way of light-hearted fiction in my book collection. The closest I have would be a light read at least and I enjoyed its style.

Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig

I'll look into it, cheers.

Running is rad but I need better shoes. Been thinking of restarting the C25K program again since I've been running on my own sort of rough thing of "Sprint for three power poles, walk for one" and I end up dead around 2/3rds of the way through my route. I also noticed I was working up more of a sweat when I was doing C25K.

The other thing is that I've gotten into the habit of sleeping later and later and later which is meaning I'm waking up later and later. I scheduled my lectures around it, but running at 6:30-7AM was way, way better than running at 9-9:30am when the sun's already up and at it :/

Running is rad but I need better shoes. Been thinking of restarting the C25K program again since I've been running on my own sort of rough thing of "Sprint for three power poles, walk for one" and I end up dead around 2/3rds of the way through my route. I also noticed I was working up more of a sweat when I was doing C25K.

That is just a fast way to make you tired, not worked out.

Shaneus

I'll do this with you, from a distance. I've decided I need to do this as well since I don't go out enough for that to be exercise in itself (working retail and walking around all day was great for that). I walk up stairs at the train station instead of the escalator because I should and it fucking kills me every time, that's a bad sign that I need to get my arse moving.
Rad. I did something to my foot last weekend so I don't think it's up for running yet, but I'm still walking at lunchtimes and such. Need to get a schedule together and stick to it. Maybe just work on getting out of the house once I get home every night and go from there. With daylight savings kicking in this weekend it should be even easier (that's how it works, right? Getting more daylight?)

I was only told last night that there is such a thing as a Monaco bar. When it was described to me, it sounded like the biscuit part of a Maxibon, which is the best part of a Maxibon. Another bar in Sydney deep fries them too, turns out one of the people I was with last night knows the awesome cook that came up with the idea and got these pubs doing them. I'm sure it's wonderful, but it's no Golden Gaytime; you can't beat that coating!
I don't know how you've not heard of the Monaco Bar before. Fucking amazing. The closest thing to it is the Bulla (I think) ice-cream sandwich, vanilla flavour, that they sell in supermarkets. I remember it from when I was REALLY young, then it went away for at least a decade or so and it was brought back only a few years ago.

Or start today, if you can make (not find! you'll never find it) the time.

Get a C25K (Couch to 5K) app, and get started today, or tomorrow morning. I started in January on a whim with no real reasoning behind it, thinking I'd hate running. Then, after half a dozen sessions I told myself that I'd started something so may as well try to finish it, to at least accomplish something. I "graduated" about a month ago and have been running 5km distances since. I've not pushed much further yet because I want to feel at least a little plateau where I don't feel wrecked for a week or two before I think about moving forward. But I can't really make much more time in the mornings to run much farther anyway.

Just like with this morning, it can be tough to get out of bed, or will myself to go and run, but once I do I never regret having done it.
What's the sort of daily time commitment C25K requires? I honestly don't know whether it's 30 minutes or two hours.

Started a thread that had already been made, used M$, gets a ban.
Creating a dupe thread is banworthy? Fucking hell. Despite saying he looked for it anyway, still gets the chop :/

But, I do miss it on the days that I don't go running first thing. My day feel flatter and my body craves the endorphins they gets. It's now an addiction, but a socially acceptable addiction.
Cocaine is a socially acceptable addiction... it's just that people be jelly.

I've never heard of C25K before this post, I just bought Zombies Run 5K and I'm gonna do it, thanks for the tip!
Rad! It sounds like there's a bunch of people in here thinking about it, definitely a good way to keep tabs on each other (not necessarily anything formal, just checking in and giving progress updates etc.).

Jintor

That is just a fast way to make you tired, not worked out.

Was under the impression sprint-training was good for cardio moreso than endurance. That's the problem with the internet age, there's too much goddamn fitness (and diet) information and I never know what to follow

Anyway, if we're getting back into C25K let's do it. Maybe you bastards will keep me honest.

legend166

Was under the impression sprint-training was good for cardio moreso than endurance. That's the problem with the internet age, there's too much goddamn fitness (and diet) information and I never know what to follow

Anyway, if we're getting back into C25K let's do it. Maybe you bastards will keep me honest.

The good thing is I think the principles of staying healthy are pretty much the same - regular exercise, but a bigger emphasis on not over eating.

The problems seem to come when people want to get huge or super fit or something. Building heaps of muscle and all that just seems like such a waste of time for me. What's the point? How does it really benefit my life if I can bench press 100kgs? Seems like such vanity.

In other words, I don't even lift bro.

I would like to do C25K though. I've false started like 4 different times. Last attempt I got to week 3 and then stopped. I worry about running on the road. I don't know if it's killing my knees. Three days a week of it should be okay though.

What's the sort of daily time commitment C25K requires? I honestly don't know whether it's 30 minutes or two hours.
I'm a pretty slow runner. My 800m times (timing 800m segments gives you a rough estimate of how long you would take to run a 42km marathon - 5 min 800m segments would roughly equate to 5 hour marathons) vary from around 4:50 to 5:20, which is quite slow (at least compared to skilled long distance runners).

It takes me around 45 minutes total (including some pre-stretching, a 5 minute brisk walk, and then the 5km run itself, some post-stretching and maybe a shower). The actual 5km run is around 30-35 minutes at my pathetic speeds.

Dead Man

Totally is!

I... You... But... :( Your life will be better now that you know they exist. They are godly.

Dead Man

Hey Dead Man!

I've been meaning to ask: What's the deal with the "#FACE" in your avatar?

Signed,

Inquisitive Minds That Need To Know

Avatar bet over in the Wrestlemania thread. I am betting on WWE remaining the same stale shit it has become. If I lose I will wear John Cena for a fortnight.

https://twitter.com/search?q=#face

??

Or more likely, he's making fun of everyone hashtagging everything all the time

#lol

I wish that was it, that would be clever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom