• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy Project Zomboid and your money goes to a good cause!

But gay men and 'people who have lived overseas' aren't the only people with HIV. If they were serious about the 'testing window' maybe they should consider waiting and testing everyone's blood.

The issue is people coming in carrying the bad stuff in their blood before it can be picked up in tests, people involved in homosexual activities are more likely to carry these infections so they just blanket ban donations from people who have been involved in the activities recently. Seems like they had been thinking of dropping it to 6 months over here, not sure what happened to that idea.

The 'lived overseas' thing is a separate issue.

Dead Man

better safe than sorry, better safe than sorry, better safe than sorry BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY

Unless they need blood. I'd rather have blood from a gay man than bleed to death or die of a blood infection. When the risk you are being safe from is as low as it is it makes no sense. I am not saying let everyone give blood all the time. But target the questions in more useful ways to restrict blood from people with ACTUAL risky behaviours and allow those who want to to donate blood.

They ask about the history of your partners having sex with men, but not whether you have safe sex yourself. It's ludicrous.

Buy Project Zomboid and your money goes to a good cause!

The issue is people coming in carrying the bad stuff in their blood before it can be picked up in tests, people involved in homosexual activities are more likely to carry these infections so they just blanket ban donations from people who have been involved in the activities recently. Seems like they had been thinking of dropping it to 6 months over here, not sure what happened to that idea.

The 'lived overseas' thing is a separate issue.

No, it comes from outdated thinking that all gay sex = risk of disease. They don't care what kind of sex, how safe it was, or any other factor. Man/man sex of any kind? Piss off. Combined with the live overseas thing it is utterly pathetic and outdated thinking. It is lazy categorisation, and I cannot endorse it.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/treatment/pic/pdf/chart.pdf

7K5aOCz.png

It is not zero. But no sexual activity is risk free. I would say that oral sex between two men using condoms is safer than unprotected m/f sex. If they were actually worried about all diseases they would ask about unprotected hetero sex too. They don't. For example, more women than men have genital herpes. 10 percent of the population carries that virus. Syphilis is rampant in heterosexual people as well. As they are viral they also have non detectable windows.

Yes, HIV is the big one that everyone worries about, but come on.

Ah found the reasoning for the gay ban, seems like they are covering their arse after incidents in the past as cases could slip through.

Also here is one recent case that resulted in someone contracting HIV and then suing.

Hopefully they can improve the testing further so everyone can have the chance to donate.

Which is why they use other tests which detect the virus and don't have to wait for antibodies to show. 10, or even 5 years ago, it almost made sense.

Gah! Sorry guys, I'll drop it now.

Tomorrow is ausgaf kebab for lunch day.

Buy one, Post a picture.

DO IT!

I will be at work, I'll be eating them for dinner. Okay?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Yesssss kebab day.

Ok sorry deatg. Pax? Will buy u a beer.

Melbgaf going strong!

Evl, plans sat night? Like a bold cunt asking in public to make others feel left out.

(Really I just need help with someyhinng and that's the only time I'm free)

A lot of people are dirty bitches, regardless of their sexual orientation. If the blood banks need blood, they should accept their blood, pending negative testing. If someone has massive blood loss and gives a flying fuck the orientation of the originating person's blood, they should be allowed to bleed out.

I can't give blood because I'm English (which would probably be a good enough reason to reject my blood ha ha ha that's a good one) and was in the country before 1986 or some bollocks. Something to do with the risk of mad cow's disease or whatever. I have blood and I've wanted to give it in the past, until at one point they just told me to never come back. Don't bother testing me, giving me clearance or anything, just flat out reject everyone that was in a country before a certain year. *sigh*

Fucking rejecting people for bullshits reasons and making it hard for people to donate and then complain that blood levels are low? Someone search for the Mystery Machine because well need the full Scooby gang to work this one out.

Dead Man

A lot of people are dirty bitches, regardless of their sexual orientation. If the blood banks need blood, they should accept their blood, pending negative testing. If someone has massive blood loss and gives a flying fuck the orientation of the originating person's blood, they should be allowed to bleed out.

I can't give blood because I'm English (which would probably be a good enough reason to reject my blood ha ha ha that's a good one) and was in the country before 1986 or some bollocks. Something to do with the risk of mad cow's disease or whatever. I have blood and I've wanted to give it in the past, until at one point they just told me to never come back. Don't bother testing me, giving me clearance or anything, just flat out reject everyone that was in a country before a certain year. *sigh*

Fucking rejecting people for bullshits reasons and making it hard for people to donate and then complain that blood levels are low? Someone search for the Mystery Machine because well need the full Scooby gang to work this one out.

My man.

If anyone has a medical background, is it not possible to test the blood after storing it for six months or so? Or is it just the expense of storing it that prevents that?

My man.

If anyone has a medical background, is it not possible to test the blood after storing it for six months or so? Or is it just the expense of storing it that prevents that?

Herey here.

All blood donations are tested and processed and available for use between 24 and 48 hours after collection. Whole blood is separated into its components (red cells, platelets, plasma). After processing, red cells can be stored for up to 42 days; plasma is frozen and can be stored for up to 12 months; and platelets have a shelf-life of only five days.

Most is used within a few days though (red cell I'm talking).

I think it all comes down to time and money. Bullshit, well trod, stereotypes and easy targets take care of a lot of the work. Gay? Out. Slept with a man before? Out. Been out of the country or slept with someone from out of the country? Out. Born in a select number of countries before a certain date? Out.

The 6 people left are free to donate whenever they want.

And the Blood Bank doesn't have to test every donation for every possible problem. I'm fairly certain it's a fiscal decision that ties in quite well with narrow minded, antiquated views.

Omikron

Has science gone too far?!

I just had a sweet juxtaposition spending 10 minutes explaining the rules to Pandemic to my sister, then spending approximately 10 seconds explaining the rules to Ticket to Ride.

(There is a printer on that table because it is also a scanner)

Nice, both quality games, especially for teaching new people into the fold.

Today I played Ra for the first time. Pretty simple auction and set collection game. So far, I recommend.

Oh! I played Small World yesterday.

I'll be at uni. There are kebabs at uni, right ?
Ick, on a friday?
There's Souvlaki hut in the refec but they are small and expensive. Your best bet is probably going into south bank :p

Star Trek movies 1-6 for $40 delivered from Amazon
Star Trek movies 7-10 for $40 delivered from Amazon

Super fucking tempted to pickup both.

I seriously cannot think of anywhere in this town to buy a kebab/souv :/

Make your own!

Also Catch of the day is having a boxset sale: http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/19542

Can't be worse than a male-to-female vaginoplasty can it? I've seen that!

I watched a British show 'A Girl's Guide to 21st Century Sex' which is from 2006 sometime last year. Among other things they attached a camera to the head of a penis during sex, can't say I'd ever seen footage of inside a vagina before.

edit: giant image of tony abbott. how am I supposed to sleep tonight bernbaum

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
The only way I can see it as being ok to not take the gay blood is the following scenario:

80% of all homosexuals have aids (or a percent that puts the costs into the negative).

It costs x amount of money to test the blood to ensure its safe for transfusion.

The costs of testing homosexual blood, of which 80% aren't able to be used... Is too expensive/ outweighs the benefits of the good 20% of tebloods.

(If this is a bad thing to say... Tell me.. But I see it like this: if 80% of males have hiv, and 5% of females do. The cost of running a female only blood lab are more feasible than guys)

So yeah unless the proven % is that much higher? Yo just be whack.

Danoss

Haven't been out to a pub for a while. On my way home after hanging out with friends (one of them newish) at The Aberchrombie in the city where many jugs were consumed, they serve a deep fried Golden Gaytime which is just heavenly. Met some new people and had a great time. Same again next Thursday too. Big deal for me, so I'm happy.

I gave a few surprise early birthday gifts and my homemade tomato relish went over really well, surprisingly. I thought it might've been dorky. Preserves eh.

Been looking for a reputable tattoo place and was able to get a recommendation from the newish friend based on the design I'm looking for. Her tattoos look rad so that should be good.

Also, I'll have a kebab tomorrow. It'll be for dinner, not lunch though but I'll still take a photo if it means a lot to AusGAF.

Dead Man

Haven't been out to a pub for a while. On my way home after hanging out with friends (one of them newish) at The Aberchrombie in the city where many jugs were consumed, they serve a deep fried Golden Gaytime which is just heavenly. Met some new people and had a great time. Same again next Thursday too. Big deal for me, so I'm happy.

I gave a few surprise early birthday gifts and my homemade tomato relish went over really well, surprisingly. I thought it might've been dorky. Preserves eh.

Been looking for a reputable tattoo place and was able to get a recommendation from the newish friend based on the design I'm looking for. Her tattoos look rad so that should be good.

Also, I'll have a kebab tomorrow. It'll be for dinner, not lunch though but I'll still take a photo if it means a lot to AusGAF.

It's always great when home made gifts go over well. Nice warm and fuzzy.

The blood peeps act like every gay/bisexual dude is some kind of condom-alergic, fuck-anything-that-moves bug chaser, which is why I refuse to donate on principle. It's unfortunate for people who might've benefitted from my blood but that's just the way things are under the current system.

Shaneus

Get your blood out of me, you damn dirty ape.

Embarrassing bodies. Penis surgery. WHY
The women keep telling me it's just too big. I had no idea there was such a thing :(

And it was AWESOME. And I came second :D

Can't be worse than a male-to-female vaginoplasty can it? I've seen that!
I inadvertently clicked on a video that someone had sent me of that one morning while eating bacon and eggs. Noooot the best start to the morning, though quite informative!

:O What kind of design???

Dead Man

Why the fuck does the SEN account management page has a method to deactivate consoles which only leads to a message saying you have to do it from the console? Idiots.

Is there any way to deactivate consoles that are dead or you don't have any more?
Edit: Jesus, you have to deactivate all on a different part of the site. Wankers.
I made a mars bar cheesecake.

Nice :D

That looks sickening. And delicious.

Gazunta

Shanshan AH WHY DO YOU TAUNT US SO

Dunno if I mentioned it here BrisGAF but if you're the kind of person who enjoys a) living in Brisbane and b) designing websites, we're hiring.

We have cake ALL THE TIME.

isoquant

What's with Tony's ear? Is he a boxer? I want to punch the cunt.

877573-tony-abbott-boxing.jpg

He boxed at Oxford actually.

And on a semi-related note, one of my favourite articles of the past few years tied Abbott's political tactics to his boxing.

In his first bout – against Cambridge in March 1982 – he knocked out his opponent within the opening minute, and his three other fights were equally successful. He had little technique but a brutal sense of attack, which he called “the whirling dervisher”.

His great political flaw is like that of his boxing, when he defeated his opponents with his whirling dervish attacks on them. If his opponents had had better defence, they would have avoided his initial attacks, let him become exhausted and then picked him off, slowly and relentlessly. Abbott places everything on attack and as such leaves himself wide open to dying a death of a thousand cuts. In all likelihood his term as leader will end in either tears or farce. His value may lie in the way he defines the Liberals as a true conservative party.

http://www.themonthly.com.au/monthly-essays-louis-nowra-whirling-dervish-tony-abbott-2250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom