• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

I pretty much fell asleep halfway through today. Might leave it until I'm feeling full of piss and vinegar so I follow the story properly.

I'm not terribly interested in seeing it/them, but I'm wondering what they're going to fill the movies up with. It can't all be contents from The Hobbit because it's a very short book that has been stretched out to the length of the comparatively longer Lord of the Rings.

YOU GUYS! $25 for a slab of Matilda Bay stuff delivered from Dan's! Need to search for Matilda Bay and the multipack is right down the bottom, just click Add To Cart and it will work. Seems the page just went down a minute ago after being up since 7pm! Fat Yak Pale Ale, Beez Neez, Big Helga & Redback.

Also for whomever was looking for cheap XBL points, this eBay seller is where I have been getting them from. They go through a LOT of sales every day so keep an eye on them, prices can vary by the hour. 4000 for $40 is usually the best price. They haven't had any up over the holidays though, which is a bit annoying.
Otherwise there are a few US sites that sell at the same rate, you need to VPN into them obviously.

I'm not terribly interested in seeing it/them, but I'm wondering what they're going to fill the movies up with. It can't all be contents from The Hobbit because it's a very short book that has been stretched out to the length of the comparatively longer Lord of the Rings.

I think there is a lot of foreshadowing for the LotR trilogy. I didn't notice anything from The Silmarillion but I haven't read that in yearsssssss. Same with The Hobbit, I really should re-read that as I really enjoyed it as a kid. Never did get through LotR, had it all in one massive paperback :(

YOU GUYS! $25 for a slab of Matilda Bay stuff delivered from Dan's! Need to search for Matilda Bay and the multipack is right down the bottom, just click Add To Cart and it will work. Seems the page just went down a minute ago after being up since 7pm! Fat Yak Pale Ale, Beez Neez, Big Helga & Redback.

And the ozbargain thread http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/90062, seems they expire by the 26th of January but they'd last a lost longer than that if you can't get through it

Danoss

I think there is a lot of foreshadowing for the LotR trilogy. I didn't notice anything from The Silmarillion but I haven't read that in yearsssssss. Same with The Hobbit, I really should re-read that as I really enjoyed it as a kid. Never did get through LotR, had it all in one massive paperback :(

Ah, righto, sounds like it's going to be an awful lot of foreshadowing. I've never read The Silmarillion, it didn't interest me very much.

I'm due for a re-read of The Hobbit too, it's a pretty great book (working my way through The Dresden Files is currently keeping me occupied). I was talking about it with someone a few weeks ago and they mentioned something that happened involving a random archer near the end of the book that I had totally forgotten. It made me laugh pretty hard as it is rather nonsensical and kills the whole vibe and spirit of the story. I want to re-read it just for that bit.

I actually tried to track down LotR in one book a while ago for some reason, but never had much luck. It really is one book, I suppose I don't really have to even mention that fact, but it is certainly much easier to read when split up into 3 physical volumes.

Dead Man

Also for whomever was looking for cheap XBL points, this eBay seller is where I have been getting them from. They go through a LOT of sales every day so keep an eye on them, prices can vary by the hour. 4000 for $40 is usually the best price. They haven't had any up over the holidays though, which is a bit annoying.
Otherwise there are a few US sites that sell at the same rate, you need to VPN into them obviously.

Gah, not working for me from shitty work internet. Fuck. I want some Yaks.

markot

Banned
I got like 52 slabs of that stuff from that site.

Im gonna shoot em up with a tommy gun prohibition style to teach you alcoholics a lesson.

Are there any other TasGAF survivors from yesterday? I heard it hit 41 C, and damn it felt like it. It was still above 20 well past midnight :/
Over 20 past midnight? You poor thing :p
That song in general pisses me off. Utterly unAustralian. Unless whining and moaning about not having enough is the Australian thing to do, which it appears to be these days.
You don't have to tell me. That song haunted me for years, long after Shannon Noll disappeared off the face of the earth.
Think I'll start playing Corpse Party.

Do it. Its fantastic. I slept with the light on for a week after playing it. Its available on IOS now too! for like $25! I wish the sequels were too :(

Deeku

Yeah i've heard that corpse party does horror really well, but in a different way to other horror games..or something. But knowing now that it's legit scary makes me kinda nervous to play it again...:s

Over 20 past midnight? You poor thing :p

I will shrink you.

reducto28047ucf.jpg

Question for home owners: Do you have home and contents insurance? If so, with whom and how much does it cost?

I've been looking at quotes from various places and getting results of $50pm to $90pm. Not really sure why so much of a difference.

Danoss

Question for home owners: Do you have home and contents insurance? If so, with whom and how much does it cost?

I've been looking at quotes from various places and getting results of $50pm to $90pm. Not really sure why so much of a difference.

I'm not a home owner, but my advice to you is to read over what the policies cover. The premiums can vary based on things such as what they might cover above the basics, if anything, through to the frequency of claims in your area and such. It's time consuming, but you want to make sure you're covered in every area you might need, you don't want a little exclusion in a policy to prevent you claiming.

Accidental damage is totally worth having. Most policies are replacement value/old-for-new, but still keep an eye out for that. Don't under-insure whatever you do and keep on top of that yearly with new purchases, it can cost you the full claim amount in the long-run should something bad happen.

You'll still have a 'cooling off' period of at least 14 days after policy inception, use that to good effect to make doubly sure the policy suits your needs.

Shaneus

Bears pay the bear tax. You pay the Homer tax.

Watched the extended edition lotr trilogy today.

Never again.

I can kinda see why. I managed to get through Fellowship EE pretty easily (helps that I've never saw the EE version until a few weeks ago, plus not having seen Fellowship in general since 2001), but I started skipping a LOT in Two Towers. Mostly the Merry/Pippen/Treebeard stuff, which made it more bearable.

markot

Banned
The action bits are painful to watch. Girlish elves surfing down stairs with the extra dynamic score in the background? Please.
The non action bits are painfuler to watch. Girlish elves in a love triangle with a tomboy and a docuhebag? Please! Go back to the bold and the beautiful!

Dead Man

The non action bits are painfuler to watch. Girlish elves in a love triangle with a tomboy and a docuhebag? Please! Go back to the bold and the beautiful!

IT ALL SUCKS! HJKWL:HJKFW:EHJWE:FWQHEFF:jfwgkir'emlhr
te

Anyway, work is over, off to bed for me LOL

r1chard

Have been playing the betas of Timber and Stone from the Kickstarter and really liking it. The controls still suffer from developer-itis and the first day survival is on a par with Minecraft in its earlier form but there's a bunch of gameplay now. Wondering whether there should be an OT for it...

In other news I baked my first Lemon Meringue Pie for a family lunch today (late xmas) and I am pretty stoked with how it came out :) My wife and I have declared 2013 to be Year Of The Pie after watching the latest season of The Great British Bake-Off and this is an auspicious start :)

A_4bqw2CUAAK4In.jpg

Stay safe, Tasfolk...

Shaneus

Oh fuck me, I LOVE lemon meringue pie... haven't had one since forever. The zesty, tart lemon playing off the sugary sweetness of the caramelised meringue... fuck, brb.

Kritz

Banned
Christ there's a creepy ass thread in offtopic today. Someone found a site that cross references a thousand or so unsecured webcams with google maps. Lots of children cribs, pet cams, security cams, etc. At least one guy appeared to have been jerking off.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it hit the news in the next day or two, ugh.

Christ there's a creepy ass thread in offtopic today. Someone found a site that cross references a thousand or so unsecured webcams with google maps. Lots of children cribs, pet cams, security cams, etc. At least one guy appeared to have been jerking off.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it hit the news in the next day or two, ugh.

just saw that

Jintor

I had a flick through that thread just then. Mostly unironic "this is creepy" posts. Not surprising, really.

Didn't see it earlier, but nice Avatar, man. Although I guess it stands to reason a photography duder would have a good pic.

I'm not a home owner, but my advice to you is to read over what the policies cover. The premiums can vary based on things such as what they might cover above the basics, if anything, through to the frequency of claims in your area and such. It's time consuming, but you want to make sure you're covered in every area you might need, you don't want a little exclusion in a policy to prevent you claiming.

Accidental damage is totally worth having. Most policies are replacement value/old-for-new, but still keep an eye out for that. Don't under-insure whatever you do and keep on top of that yearly with new purchases, it can cost you the full claim amount in the long-run should something bad happen.

You'll still have a 'cooling off' period of at least 14 days after policy inception, use that to good effect to make doubly sure the policy suits your needs.

Thanks, that is what I'm doing. My main concerns are theft, accidental damage and personal effects. If someone does break in, it's unlikely they will walk away with furniture or appliances. Most they will grab are small things like phones, laptops etc...so personal items insurance is quite handy and more relevant than contents insurance.

Danoss

Didn't see it earlier, but nice Avatar, man. Although I guess it stands to reason a photography duder would have a good pic.

Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words! It's not without its flaws, but not too bad for a first time effort at a self-portrait with one flash.

Thanks, that is what I'm doing. My main concerns are theft, accidental damage and personal effects. If someone does break in, it's unlikely they will walk away with furniture or appliances. Most they will grab are small things like phones, laptops etc...so personal items insurance is quite handy and more relevant than contents insurance.

Those things shouldn't be a problem at all with most insurers. One thing you might want to keep an eye on is the portability of those personal items. There will be exclusions of course, but often you can still have cover on those personal items when they're not within the confines of your home; it might be extra premium to do so or there may be a separate excess on them, but it's worth keeping an eye out for (I'm sure this is what you mean by personal items insurance anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom