• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

I've found the trilogy less enjoyable as I've grow older.

I didnt find them as bad films. Just 'verbose'. I don't dislike them, I just dislike the time it takes to get through them, so if I watch them again it likely won't be for several years and over the course of a few weeks rather than one day.

Kritz

Banned
I think the general rule is extended Fellowship, then theatrical for the other two.

Unless you really want to see Saruman eat it.

Rahk

I've still never seen The Return of the King, and I only watched Two Towers for the first time a few months ago. I should get around to doing that.

I've watched the extended trilogy 4 times in total. It's my ritual to watch them once every year. I do agree with skipping some of the boring parts with the ents conversations in TTT. But I always watch them back to back.

Yagharek

I'll be interested to see how this policy applies to Community threads. All of them are pretty much megathreads, aren't they.

Yagharek

Yes, but the sticky particularly called out 'insular echo chamber chat rooms' which does fit the bill for many game-specific OT threads for example.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Death of megathreads, fuck yes!

I think it kinda sucks, But that's more to do with the lack of rules regarding megathreads.

If the OP was always updated, the thread title changed by the op to show new information is available, then I think it would be fine. The problem seems to be people making threads and then getting banned 1 week later for whatever idiotic reason.

But I guess it depends. Like the steam thread, there's no real need for a megathread since everyone wants to have their own little speculative discussion regarding price, build, VR, linux and so on. So separate threads for that would make sense.

The new ruling seems to just push the, new threads for new news rule and tweaks it a little.

Seems to just be another way of saying "new thread for new news" while reinforcing the new "we decide if a thread was worthwhile so stop bitching" stance

I'll be interested to see how this policy applies to Community threads. All of them are pretty much megathreads, aren't they.

Community is designed for megathreads, Evilore was just mainly talking about Gaming threads. It stifles discussion and excitement when there is only one thread being used for a damn console launch, this way information is more likely to be disseminated throughout the people who check the forum more than if they have to trawl through a 200 post thread to find it, as megathreads rarely have their OP's updated with all new information as it goes along.

Yagharek

Community is designed for megathreads, Evilore was just mainly talking about Gaming threads. It stifles discussion and excitement when there is only one thread being used for a damn console launch, this way information is more likely to be disseminated throughout the people who check the forum more than if they have to trawl through a 200 post thread to find it, as megathreads rarely have their OP's updated with all new information as it goes along.

To me it seems more designed for system megathreads. Wii U speculation threads lived in community til a month or two before launch. 3DS and Vita threads have recently been locked down into specific purpose threads (game suggestions) although this is somewhat subverted if you venture into them.

I'm confused tbh, and the only thing that will clarify it is seeing it in practice.

153219.jpg

Muglh.gif
A great career comes to a great end.

Props to Johnson too, he really wanted Huss to hit the winning runs!

lol Lyon better keep taking wickets!

SL can take a huge positive from the test match, Chandimal played his heart out and is a fantastic keeper. Hopefully they can keep him in good nick and will hold the keeper spot for a long while. Sanga looked great too before the injury. Their fast bowler ranks are pretty rough though.

Yagharek

Lyon has snuck in under the radar for a while. Keeps taking a lot of them, but not as high profile as Warne. A very hard act to follow, given the number of spinners theyve gone through since.

I thought Siddle might have, but the rotation policy ...

Rezbit

I actually thought Lyon might get the song duties! Just seems like that sorta guy, quiet, understated on the field, just does his best for the team. I think he's got a lot to work on in terms of variety in his bowling, but his stock offy does the job and keeps it pretty tight. I did laugh when Johnson just dropped his head and the crowd booed, even though Hussey piss-bolted that run in. Sad to see him go.

In other news, I saw The Hobbit. It is pretty bloated, some of the CG is early 2000's bad, but otherwise it was okay. In no hurry to watch it again.

Lyon has snuck in under the radar for a while. Keeps taking a lot of them, but not as high profile as Warne. A very hard act to follow, given the number of spinners theyve gone through since.
I actually thought Lyon might get the song duties! Just seems like that sorta guy, quiet, understated on the field, just does his best for the team. I think he's got a lot to work on in terms of variety in his bowling, but his stock offy does the job and keeps it pretty tight. I did laugh when Johnson just dropped his head and the crowd booed, even though Hussey piss-bolted that run in. Sad to see him go.

Yeah absolutely, he has done a great job so far and I can see him stepping up in India for us, seems a lot more confident this series so hopefully he does have that bag of tricks ready to go. I expect the selectors to stick with him for a while thankfully.

Johnson was very respectful, even if in the end Hussey just wanted to get it over and done with. Selfless man he is.

Ningo

I think it kinda sucks, But that's more to do with the lack of rules regarding megathreads.

If the OP was always updated, the thread title changed by the op to show new information is available, then I think it would be fine. The problem seems to be people making threads and then getting banned 1 week later for whatever idiotic reason.

But I guess it depends. Like the steam thread, there's no real need for a megathread since everyone wants to have their own little speculative discussion regarding price, build, VR, linux and so on. So separate threads for that would make sense.

The new ruling seems to just push the, new threads for new news rule and tweaks it a little.

Time warp

edit. sorry double post, should have checked.

Gazunta

Anyone here ever use one of those custom tailor shirt thingys online?

I used Cafepress back in the day, but the print quality was always pretty crap. There's places around every tow that do small print runs of custom shirts for similar prices, do some digging around.

Still enjoying AC3. Suck it haters. Someone enjoys something you didn't. Opinions.
Bro in law has the 360 version, pretty fucking rough. Similar to the PC/Console difference with Far Cry 3 by the looks of it.

Holy? Is that you?

It's a sticky dude. Don't make me come in there.

Kritz

Banned
I'm probably late, but Saturday PAX passes are sold out. And one of my friends still hasn't bought his. Bah.

http://www.paxaustralia.com.au/

At this point I'm actually worried that my friends have signed on to do something they don't have the time or money to do. Getting paranoid about needing to get hotels / flights sorted but the actual numbers are up in the air.

I'm probably late, but Saturday PAX passes are sold out. And one of my friends still hasn't bought his. Bah.

At this point I'm actually worried that my friends have signed on to do something they don't have the time or money to do. Getting paranoid about needing to get hotels / flights sorted but the actual numbers are up in the air.

Worst case scenario there will be a bunch of AusGAFfers the week or two before PAX organising schedules so there will be plenty of company. I should probably look at hotels soon.

Or I'll crash on Shaneus' couch!

Rezbit

Still enjoying AC3. Suck it haters. Someone enjoys something you didn't. Opinions.
Bro in law has the 360 version, pretty fucking rough. Similar to the PC/Console difference with Far Cry 3 by the looks of it.

It's a sticky dude. Don't make me come in there.

Sure, opinions. Yours just happens to be really bad.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Worst case scenario there will be a bunch of AusGAFfers the week or two before PAX organising schedules so there will be plenty of company. I should probably look at hotels soon.

Or I'll crash on Shaneus' couch!

Yeah, we should definitely do a non-pax melbgaf meet-up around that time, so I can get a chance to meet some of sydgaf and kritz.:p

Unlikely to go to PAX this year because 1. No money and 2. Have uni

I'm probably late, but Saturday PAX passes are sold out.
I'm somewhat baffled they're selling so many tickets when there's no fucking schedule. Saturday would've been the day I would've gone, so I guess I'm not going.

Will definitely be up for any GAF meets though.

Kritz

Banned
I'm somewhat baffled they're selling so many tickets when there's no fucking schedule. Saturday would've been the day I would've gone, so I guess I'm not going.

Will definitely be up for any GAF meets though.

Depending on how this year goes you can bet they'll sell a lot less if the schedule is "meet halfbrick, watch a jpeg be drawn".

But it'll be fun to go even if it is a wreck.

Depending on how this year goes you can bet they'll sell a lot less if the schedule is "meet halfbrick, watch a jpeg be drawn".

But it'll be fun to go even if it is a wreck.

If it's a Presidog jpeg they will sell out next years tickets in minutes!

In any case the Penny Arcade guys wouldn't want a black mark on their record so I expect there to be plenty going on.

Yagharek

Yeah, more Shinobido 2 impressions: generally speaking, you revisit the same few maps over and over again. Every two or three missions is a new map, but the objective changes.

It doesn't feel as punishing or challenging as tenchu. It really is a bunch of smaller stories in smaller levels with bears in lockups.

Not bad, but not as good as T1. I really wish they had long, involved missions.

I guess its a quandary of sorts: the core gameplay is solid B tier, which is very enjoyable. The missions are lacking challenge, scope and variety. At its core is all the right mechanics for a Tenchu experience, so long as next time there is a solid world to experience it in.

r1chard

Anyone here ever use one of those custom tailor shirt thingys online?
Yes, from http://moderntailor.com (IIRC on the recommendation of the fashion thread on GAF.) Did the full measure up and then the shirt design. The shirt was reasonably priced but the fit was a little baggy. Would have to fiddle the measurements a bunch to get it right, if I did decide to order again. The upside is that it was pretty cheap and the quality was good.

Yeah, we should definitely do a non-pax melbgaf meet-up around that time, so I can get a chance to meet some of sydgaf and kritz.:p

Unlikely to go to PAX this year because 1. No money and 2. Have uni
I think we should do a general aus-gaf meet up around that time. I suppose it depends on everyone's and PAX's schedule, but we could do something after PAX finishes for the night, or during the evening perhaps since most of you seem to clock off early.

Yeah i've heard that corpse party does horror really well, but in a different way to other horror games..or something. But knowing now that it's legit scary makes me kinda nervous to play it again...:s

Where did you get up to?
Also me finding something scary probably doesn't make it legit scary :p

Don't worry Kritz, you're not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom