• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

I canceled my amazon order the other day. Unless the exchange rate bounces back I figure it'll be easier to just buy local.

Even with the current exchange rate, I'm getting PS4 + additional controller + KZ SF + priority delivery under $550. Buying local just isn't worthwhile.

according to this. PS3 and Wii U were universal

PS3 and PS4 both have universal power, not sure about WiiU.

Jintor

Slightly more reliable personages have told me that a hardware revision on Friday might be occuring and that the storage/camera on the Nexus 4 is meh, so I'm still poking around if anyone has any ideas for a sub $500 phone

DONT FORGET! IF YOU HAVE XBOX LIVE GOLD!
Last day Assassins Creed 2 is free!

Hey Cod!
Fortune Summoners for $5 (no idea on this one)
Chantelise - A Tale of Two Sisters for $2.50 (pretty fun classic jRPG)

Even with the current exchange rate, I'm getting PS4 + additional controller + KZ SF + priority delivery under $550. Buying local just isn't worthwhile.

Another thing is you can buy Amazon credit when the Aussie dollar is high so that if the dollar goes down you only pay the initial outlay.

Wish I had bought a bunch when we were at $1.10! Would have made for a super cheap PS4 bundle!

EB expo confirmed better than PAX? Wonder if the Xbone will have its security detail? Has everyone provided constructive feedback in their postPAX surveys?

Stackboy

All this thief talk a few pages back reminds me of a couple of months ago when there was someone in my backyard at midnight, trying to break in.

I put on my man voice and scared him away. He asked how to get out of our backyard and I told him the same way you came in. Idiot.

Spoke to a police friend of mine. They tracked him down a few hours later. Known thief and drug addict.

I should have used this instance to convince my animal hating housemate upstairs that we need a dog.
Her husband didn't have the guts to come downstairs with me and be a man and scare this guy away.

I should have used this instance to convince my animal hating housemate upstairs that we need a dog.

Reports lately that nefarious individuals are scoping out neighbourhoods for dogs. Marking houses in distinct ways to show their compadres which houses have the 'bait' dogs and which have 'fight' dogs. Then they wait for the perfect time to dognap for the dog fights scene.

So look out for that if you have a dog! Some kind of mark on your house/fence or something tied to your fence make sure it is removed asap.

Gazunta

Some of the constructive feedback I gave on the PAX survey was nothing too out of the ordinary. Mainly that the mobile phone and wifi connections were practically worthless, and the panel areas were too small, and there wasn't enough publish transport (although personally I had a fine enough time with the trams).

I also told them they need to have a webcomics area next time ;)

Reports lately that nefarious individuals are scoping out neighbourhoods for dogs. Marking houses in distinct ways to show their compadres which houses have the 'bait' dogs and which have 'fight' dogs. Then they wait for the perfect time to dognap for the dog fights scene.

So look out for that if you have a dog! Some kind of mark on your house/fence or something tied to your fence make sure it is removed asap.

There are weird black markings on the lamp post right outside my house! I noticed them yesterday, told the cops too but they didn't think those were relevant.

I'll have a look at it again closer to release. As rep mentioned I should have bought gift cards ages back, oh well.

Dead Man

It's amazing how accepting we've become towards violence in our media but so prudish when it comes to nudity and language. Even more bizarre is the inconsistencies in what we find acceptable. I watch UFC (cage fighting) and didn't realise until I went back to watch some older events (very early 2000s) at how tame the earlier shows were. At the first sign of blood the doctors would be called in and you knew the fight would probably be stopped. These days, you have to get to the point where the contestants and most of the audience, along with the staff are close to bleeding out before they'll even start to think about ending the fight.

Even with the immense blood letting, they will bleep-out swear words. And not even the really bad ones. You can watch two people wreck each other's bodies, see the deformation of bodies in response to trauma and witness actual spurts of blood come out of people - all the while cheering them on for more - yet as soon as someone says "shit" that crosses the line. It's a weird dichotomy. It's one that's also shared by television but with equally confusing contradictions.

There was a time when early evening television was a period of time of stringent standards. Language, violence and nudity were not welcome. Back when I watched television (a few years back) I was surprise at what language was allowed in such an early time slot. It seems like lower-tier swear words are are acceptable (pissed off, crap, shit, etc) but not nudity.

I'm left with a feeling that we don't have the wherewithal to properly gauge how we feel about societal taboos and where they fall in a ranked order. About the only consistency is that as soon as nudity/sex is introduced, them all bets are off and violence/swearing might as well be chucked in, too.

Your concerns about killing are very valid, it goes to show the further imbalance between our ability to gauge what we find acceptable in our media. Killing someone should always be the highest injustice that can be perpetrated by someone yet it seems to be the least offensive to the many. Video games struggle with this the most, as it has bet one the de facto interaction that we have in a playing world. Games like Journey are an aberration rather than a part of a balanced industry's offering to the public. The PC independents are making great strides into exploring different interaction style with a play world along with thinking outside the norms that the big developers are comfortable mining further.

So what's the answer? Do we demand more from larger companies? Do we allow the status quo to remain but move the games depicting realistic violence and killing to the R18+ classification and trust in the adults that consume them to know the difference between fantasy?
Yeah, I think that culturally we have taboos on things that cannot be explained rationally. Which was fine when religion was our basis for laws and government. Not so much these days.

LAST MINUTE SUPER DUPER ETHICAL QUESTION TIME!!!: is it possible that, due to murder being the #1 taboo for society, that the use of it is less harmful in media? For the most part, the taking of another person's life is, at least in our country, not commonplace. In 2010, there were 468 000 recorded homocides worldwide, with 257 of them occuring in Australia. Most people will neither have the inclination, opportunity, or mental/physical means to actually do it; a lot of every day deaths are due to accidental means, not planned homocides.

In 2010, 14.7% of the population (aged 14 and above) had used illicit drugs in the previous 12 months. In fact "Around 8% of people in Australia aged 16–85 years have had a drug use disorder (including harmful use/abuse and/or dependence) in their lifetime." The accessibility and less stigma associated with drug use could potentially make it a far more destructive and influential than killing in a game.

When it comes to sexual assault, the Bureau of Statistic found that "During the 12 months prior to interview in 2011–12, an estimated 51,200 (0.3%) Australians aged 18 years and over were a victim of sexual assault." The unfortunate thing about sexual assault is that, it is believed that only 34% of sexual assault are reported to police.

So, what's potentially more dangerous to have portrayed in a game? Do those stats mean anything? Do the relative ease and less chance of recrimination surrounding drugs and sexual assault make them more influential when portrayed incorrectly in games? Or does it not matter at all? Wrong is wrong and none of them should be featured in games?

Fuck, that was long than I expected. Sorry.
That is actually a pretty interesting point. I think you can make that argument, and pretty well. The difficulty comes form the later implications. If those crimes are less problematic to society (since they are widely committed, desired, or poorly enforced), the damage done from encountering them in games will still be non substantial. If you can't get society to hold to those laws, a video game will not really swing the behaviours of society at large. Obviously with the sexual assault situation you don't want even one person to be a victim, but given that it is so prevalent, talking about video games as contributory makes very little sense to me.

Thanks for some very well thought out posts, even though I think I disagree with you a bit :)

Fredescu

Looking at either the Nexus 4 ($339 posted) or the Samsung Note 1 ($389 posted) for the wife. Nexus seems more capable but the wife is keen on the Note as she can use it as a mini-tablet for all her craft patterns and internet browsing. Doesn't make many phone calls so the big size wouldn't be too much of an issue.

There are weird black markings on the lamp post right outside my house! I noticed them yesterday, told the cops too but they didn't think those were relevant.

Yeah hit that shit with some metho.

Dead Man

No optical audio out, less of the 6GBs SATA ports (matters for SSDs I think), less ports generally.

Fuck it, may as well get the expensive one, already spent my full tax return and more.

Main difference is basically in the number of ports.

More SATA 3 and PCIe 3.0 slots on the more more expensive one.

Cool, thanks. I'll grab the expensive one in hopes of a bit more future proofing (LOL).

Dead Man

Okay, this is what I ordered, thanks to all for the hand holding while I had some serious decision making disorders:

x9qIKlz.png

lexi

Banned
All this thief talk a few pages back reminds me of a couple of months ago when there was someone in my backyard at midnight, trying to break in.

I put on my man voice and scared him away. He asked how to get out of our backyard and I told him the same way you came in. Idiot.

Spoke to a police friend of mine. They tracked him down a few hours later. Known thief and drug addict.

Her husband didn't have the guts to come downstairs with me and be a man and scare this guy away.

I can independently verify that Stackboy has a high calibre man voice. Hulk Hogan would run away screaming.

I find it interesting that a sex simulator is a huge deal to people while murder and torture simulators are fine. This post got shared around Twitter with stuff like "I quit videogames!": http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73799908&postcount=309 . Seems like a bizarre and immature response. Feeling warm and fuzzy about a skull exploding from a headshot is fine, I saw a good headshot described on this forum as "biting into a fresh watermelon", but an orgasm isn't fine?

I think it's something to do with feeling uncomfortable discussing or simulating intimacy. Murder isn't something we long for and feel like we don't have enough of.
I agree with your feeling in your first paragraph but not sure I see to eye-to-eye about the reasoning in the second.

If I were forced to give one reason (which would be wildly inaccurate to account for everyone's own person reasons) I would say that our Christianity-based society is the overriding factor for the reluctance to feel comfortable with sex. If longing for something and having unmet desires were a metric which dictating our discomfort for discussing a subject, we would never talk about other things like wanting a good, stable government.

Fredescu

If I were forced to give one reason (which would be wildly inaccurate to account for everyone's own person reasons) I would say that our Christianity-based society is the overriding factor for the reluctance to feel comfortable with sex. If longing for something and having unmet desires were a metric which dictating our discomfort for discussing a subject, we would never talk about other things like wanting a good, stable government.

The latter comes from the former. Christianity manages to instil a sense of guilt about sexual desire because loving and being loved is at the core of our self worth. I think a lot of people, religious or not, are fairly insecure about intimacy.

Also, relatively speaking, we've had good stable government in all of our lifetimes (assuming you were born here).

Thanks for some very well thought out posts, even though I think I disagree with you a bit :)
No worries. In this country everyone has the right to chose their stance on subject, even if it clearly is the wrong one.

Also, relatively speaking, we've had good stable government in all of our lifetimes (assuming you were born here).
I was not, sir. I hail from your ruling nation, colonial scum. I would barely call the government that we have now "stable," at least not mentally.

Roughly what percentage of the time do you spend sunburnt?
What's that number after 100?

(Nah, I've been here since I was 7. I pretty much consider myself Australian, unless I travel back to England, at which point I will use my British Passport and avoid the "Aliens" line.)

A HP laptop that died. That's why the monitor is basic, just need something that will work, I'll get something better later. Delivery in 3-5 days apparently, then the 6 months of assembly and hair pulling :)

Oh shit, you're in for a treat then? I'm assuming it's your first time building, if so you already have GAF's PC building sources right? I built mine last year for the first time, it really wasn't hard, just time consuming. It's pretty satisfying though.

Dead Man

Oh shit, you're in for a treat then? I'm assuming it's your first time building, if so you already have GAF's PC building sources right? I built mine last year for the first time, it really wasn't hard, just time consuming. It's pretty satisfying though.

Nah, first time building in over a decade though. I used to build mine and all my friends PC's back in the day, then just moved away from PC gaming for a while so I bought a laptop. Which has moved about twice since I bought it. So back to a desktop for me. It will be a bit of a treat I imagine, I can run some new games, but on the lowest settings, and most of what has been released in the last 18 months I haven't bothered with. So that will be a pretty awesome time sink.

No worries. In this country everyone has the right to chose their stance on subject, even if it clearly is the wrong one.
Hah, well played. :)

Big Day Out 2014 lineup:

Pearl Jam * Arcade Fire * Blur * Snoop Dogg aka Snoop Lion * Major Lazer * Steve Angello * Flume * The Lumineers * Tame Impala Dillon Francis * Mac Miller * Ghost * Grouplove * Flosstradamus * Portugal. The Man * Toro Y Moi DIIV * The Naked And Famous * Big Gigantic * PEZ * Mudhoney * Cosmic Psychos * Northlane The 1975 * Loon Lake * Kingswood * Bo Ningen * The Algorithm * DZ Deathrays * Peking Duk * Ben Morris * Rüfüs and more to be announced…

Top Bottom