• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Kritz

Banned
Saints Row drugs: rewards you with a super power modification
Grand Theft Auto drugs: rewards you with a
minigun and alien invasion

Just so we're clear on which drug effects will get your game reclassified.

Fusebox

Banned
Went out and bought GTAV, noticed my KH1.5 had been delivered while I was out. Currently playing KH1.5... whats wrong with me?! /reggie

Dead Man

Today is a good day, the Mustang has been started and taken for a drive. Still a bit of work to be done, but they reckon I'll have it in my driveway by the end of the week. So rapt.

Oh, and GTA5 is installing.

Yeah, but how many times before that did you make up a fake excuse? :)

Thanks, repOmi!

None, it was my first year, but I did after that.

That's why we handle it on an admin level without approaching the lecturers. Because half of them are complete pricks.

Yeah, that is a better method.

I bought massively into GTA4 hype.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me.... you can't get fooled again.

That is what I wanted to be able to do, but I'm a sucker. If it is as bad as 4 then I'll probably have a small tantrum.

Watching my brother play some GTAV, sure is GTA lookin'. Seems pretty cool I guess.

Almost bought in on hype but between Kingdom Hearts and Puppeteer, and the fact that I don't really play those kinds of games much (the first Saints Row is the only GTA-like I've beaten, and that was mostly just 'cause it came with my 360) I don't really need it any time soon.

Good game that. Quite simple but enjoyable. I don't care for the theme but the beauty of it is that you don't even need to know it has a theme to play it and have fun.

Shaneus

Liking GTA5... it's like they managed to squeeze in some low-res ENB-style effects into it, looks much better than any other GTA (on a console). Annoyed at the lack of connectivity though... downloaded the app for iPhone last night, doesn't look like anything carried over. Played game, asked me to use the app. Use the app, can't sign into it. Can't look at my gallery or friends (lol like I have any) or any of the online shit. Pfft.

Menu/pause/background (ie. not radio) music is fucking great, though. Has a bit of a John Carpenter/Moroder (circa Scarface) vibe to it.

GTA5 is living up to the hype. Everything is improved out of sight.

Running 360 version with the Play disc installed, tons more texture loading than acceptable but I can't stand the noise of a disc in the drive! Will grab a cheap USB tomorrow to get rid of the problem.
The joys of the end of the generation!

My dude is rocking
the 'He Got Game' Denzel look which was free. So fucking glad all this customisation stuff is back! Also there was a free hotted up SMG at Ammunation? lol

Today is a good day, the Mustang has been started and taken for a drive.
What Mustang?

Menu/pause/background (ie. not radio) music is fucking great, though. Has a bit of a John Carpenter/Moroder (circa Scarface) vibe to it.

Great article here, glad to see Rockstar taking the audio seriously.

Who did the game's score? said:
We started with Tangerine Dream. We've used them before in terms of licensed music – we're huge fans of Edgar Froese. When we started to think about who would be the right composer for this game, he was the first name that came to mind. Complimenting his work we have Woody Jackson, who scored Red Dead Redemption and helped score L.A. Noire. Woody's an amazing musician. And the third part of the triangle is Alchemist and Oh No.

Although each of these composers is used to define a character or an environment, what's been interesting about this process is that it's been the first fully collaborative score that we've done. Even though you may be triggering one score with a particular character or within a particular area in the world, you're always hearing elements from the other composers. The first time you come into the country you're blown away by Woody Jackson's rock score, but within that you're still hearing elements of Tangerine Dream, and Alchemist and Oh No. So you're never too far away from this core sound that we've established for the game.

Kritz

Banned
6 hours into GTA5.

Impressions:

• Shooting on "Traditional" is too easy but playing it without any autoaim is impossible for me on a controller.
  • Driving is improved from GTA4 but still has its quirks. Especially Franklin's "make the driving better" button that changes a car from flying all over the road to pinpoint precision in the push of two buttons.
  • I really like Micheal's character. Franklin is pretty ordinary. I'm not too fond of Trevor, but have only played about 30 minutes as him.
  • Game looks predictably like lowres poopoo on PS3. Artistically it's fine, technically it's some hot mess.
  • Lots of HBO sex
  • GTA5 continues the series tradition of asinine fail conditions. I failed one mission because I wanted to buy an SMG instead of a shotgun. I already had a shotgun.
  • The game prompts you several times to download an "App for your personal iFruit smart device". It took me four times seeing that message to work out it meant "Buy this thing on iTunes. For your phone. Your phone, not any of the in-game phones." Kinda gross. Not sure if it's as gross as the PRESS TRIANGLE TO BUY SHIT FROM THE PLAYSTATION STORE prompt when buying weapons at the gun store.
  • Dialogue's still really good. Humour's still really dull.
  • The map feels pretty expansive which is nice.
  • Shooting while driving is terrible. It's so clunky and awkward. I think every other open world game out there has solved the problem of controlling a driveby shooting, except for the series that introduced the mechanic.
  • I don't like the Assassin's Creed 3 optional mission objectives. But at least it doesn't tell you about them until after you've finished the mission once so you're not constantly forcing yourself to play to suit some arbitrary optional objectives.
  • I love that they kept the player physics from Max Payne 3. It's so awesome/stupid when you jump into a wall and just crash into it and splat on the ground.
  • Bullet time was actually my only wish for the GTA series. And little did I know, GTA5 totally has bullet time. And it's awesome.

Newly approved Bris-resident reporting for duty.

I'm gonna camp out in Aus-GAF for a while until I find my feet around here. :p (even though I've lurked for Christ knows how long)

Nice to meet you all!

Sidenote, apologies in advance for derailing the GTAV talk.

Carry on.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

I'm gonna camp out in Aus-GAF for a while until I find my feet around here. :p (even though I've lurked for Christ knows how long)

Nice to meet you all!

Carry on.

another member of the ausgaf wiiu party question mark here my grammar is broken

welcome friend exclamation mark

how about that lego city undercover interrobang here

Dead Man

6 hours into GTA5.

Impressions:

• Shooting on "Traditional" is too easy but playing it without any autoaim is impossible for me on a controller.
  • Driving is improved from GTA4 but still has its quirks. Especially Franklin's "make the driving better" button that changes a car from flying all over the road to pinpoint precision in the push of two buttons.
  • I really like Micheal's character. Franklin is pretty ordinary. I'm not too fond of Trevor, but have only played about 30 minutes as him.
  • Game looks predictably like lowres poopoo on PS3. Artistically it's fine, technically it's some hot mess.
  • Lots of HBO sex
  • GTA5 continues the series tradition of asinine fail conditions. I failed one mission because I wanted to buy an SMG instead of a shotgun. I already had a shotgun.
  • The game prompts you several times to download an "App for your personal iFruit smart device". It took me four times seeing that message to work out it meant "Buy this thing on iTunes. For your phone. Your phone, not any of the in-game phones." Kinda gross. Not sure if it's as gross as the PRESS TRIANGLE TO BUY SHIT FROM THE PLAYSTATION STORE prompt when buying weapons at the gun store.
  • Shooting while driving is terrible. It's so clunky and awkward. I think every other open world game out there has solved the problem of controlling a driveby shooting, except for the series that introduced the mechanic.
  • I don't like the Assassin's Creed 3 optional mission objectives. But at least it doesn't tell you about them until after you've finished the mission once so you're not constantly forcing yourself to play to suit some arbitrary optional objectives.
  • I love that they kept the player physics from Max Payne 3. It's so awesome/stupid when you jump into a wall and just crash into it and splat on the ground.
  • Bullet time was actually my only wish for the GTA series. And little did I know, GTA5 totally has bullet time. And it's awesome.

The driving is giving me the shits in the races, the cars are all tail happy pieces o shite so far.
Edit: And yeah, the shooting while driving is busted, utterly stupid mechanic that just sprays bullets, R* continue to hate controls that work.
What Mustang?

My mustang. A beat up 1969 Mach1. Well, less beat up now mechanically, but still pretty rough in the body. Been off the road for about 18 months. Well, been at the shop for 18 months, and sat in my driveway not moving for a year before that.

Nice to meet you all!

Carry on.

Welcome!

[*]The game prompts you several times to download an "App for your personal iFruit smart device". It took me four times seeing that message to work out it meant "Buy this thing on iTunes. For your phone. Your phone, not any of the in-game phones." Kinda gross. Not sure if it's as gross as the PRESS TRIANGLE TO BUY SHIT FROM THE PLAYSTATION STORE prompt when buying weapons at the gun store.

The app's free and doesn't have any IAP.

[*]Driving is improved from GTA4 but still has its quirks. Especially Franklin's "make the driving better" button that changes a car from flying all over the road to pinpoint precision in the push of two buttons.
[*]I really like Micheal's character. Franklin is pretty ordinary. I'm not too fond of Trevor, but have only played about 30 minutes as him.
[*]Game looks predictably like lowres poopoo on PS3. Artistically it's fine, technically it's some hot mess.
[*]The game prompts you several times to download an "App for your personal iFruit smart device". It took me four times seeing that message to work out it meant "Buy this thing on iTunes. For your phone. Your phone, not any of the in-game phones." Kinda gross. Not sure if it's as gross as the PRESS TRIANGLE TO BUY SHIT FROM THE PLAYSTATION STORE prompt when buying weapons at the gun store.
[*]Dialogue's still really good. Humour's still really dull.
[*]Shooting while driving is terrible. It's so clunky and awkward. I think every other open world game out there has solved the problem of controlling a driveby shooting, except for the series that introduced the mechanic.
[*]I don't like the Assassin's Creed 3 optional mission objectives. But at least it doesn't tell you about them until after you've finished the mission once so you're not constantly forcing yourself to play to suit some arbitrary optional objectives.
[/LIST]
Love love love the driving. Fun like San Andreas again, hated GTA4. Just so much more enjoyable when I can just whip it around everywhere at full speed. So much fun.

I really like the juxtaposition of pretty much all the characters, even the NPC's. Feels very lived in.

Game looks great compared to other open world console games!

App is free. Just a little paint job app for cars and shit. Eh.

Love the dialogue so far, really fun. Very dry, sarcastic, self-deprecating humour which I also enjoy very much :)

Yeah drive shoot sucks. It will auto-aim if you have the camera centered in the right general area though. Needs, NEEDS to go into slowmo when you carshoot like in Sleepy Dogs. Otherwise it is frustrating as fuck.

Optional objectives have been there since Gay Tony DLC dude! Which was also the best of the GTA4 'trilogy'.

A beat up 1969 Mach1. Well, less beat up now mechanically, but still pretty rough in the body. Been off the road for about 18 months. Well, been at the shop for 18 months, and sat in my driveway not moving for a year before that.
Niceeeeeeeee. Aside from the fact it is body damage though, that's the most annoying :(

Make 110% sure you get every molecule of rust out!

Dead Man

Niceeeeeeeee. Aside from the fact it is body damage though, that's the most annoying :(

I'll chuck some pics up when I get it back. I'm going to drive it for a while before I do the body, it was my daily driver for about 10 years before I decided it needed to be fixed up properly, and not driving it has been sending me bonkers.

God damn people talking about BB spoilers in public :mad:

6 hours into GTA5.

Impressions:

• Lots of HBO sex

For a map as big as it is I think it looks great, even if the faces are a little creepy looking.
Michael and Franklin are both pretty cool and omg the first time you switch to Michael
when he gets out of the car was SO cool. Aaaah he's the best. I think I'm getting a weird older man crush :|
I didn't realise what the ifruit thing was for.... That is really shitty. Way to break the immersion.

Shaneus

GTA5 is living up to the hype. Everything is improved out of sight.

Running 360 version with the Play disc installed, tons more texture loading than acceptable but I can't stand the noise of a disc in the drive! Will grab a cheap USB tomorrow to get rid of the problem.
The joys of the end of the generation!.
Perhaps you didn't catch it, but they're strongly advising *against* installing the play disc for 360. Install the install disc, play with the play disc in the drive but not installed :)

BTW I'm loving the colours used in this game. I'm surprised with the jaggies and the inconsistent framerate on PS3 (sure I read it barely dipped below 30, I'm finding it barely stays at 30 for more than a few seconds) but I'm loving the colours and some of the post-processing and colouring. Characters actually have texture and depth now, which I'm loving. I particularly loved this shot (which happened to be in that article you linked):
gta-600-1377717781.jpg

I've only just finished the
boat mission with Michael[/url] but I'll kind of agree with what most have said in this thread... Franklin feels quite one-dimensional, possibly because his sort of character has been in all the GTA games thus far (as in, a male, single, late-20s/early-30s petty criminal) or possibly he seems that way compared with Michael who's almost the opposite of what we've seen (and almost akin to an actual movie character we'd see in an action film, like Die Hard or True Lies that actually HAS some background to him like a wife and kids) in other GTA protagonists.

If I can theorise for a second, I have a feeling that with the way the Housers brushed off (ish) the lack of a main female character in the game, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the first Gay Tony-esque DLC will focus on a female character.

When he's done he can bog it up with some Adelaide tap water. Doesn't even need to mix it with anything, can be used right out of the tap!

PS. My Franklin is rocking the same 'fro/goatee as well. Big pimpin'.

Edit: Yo rep, even though they say there's no way you should install both the install and play discs on the HDD, they suggest that you could install the play disc to an (I'd assume) very fast USB flash drive. That way the play disc content is separated from the install disc content which doesn't happen if you install them on the same drive.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82284985&postcount=86

Deeku

Only played an hour or two, gta is gta I guess. But there's interesting stuff going on

World seems real dense

I jumped out of speeding car thinking it would be all slick like sleepy dogs....didn't happen, looked real freakin painful too. Probably wont do that again lol

If I can theorise for a second, I have a feeling that with the way the Housers brushed off (ish) the lack of a main female character in the game, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the first Gay Tony-esque DLC will focus on a female character.

32771-Blues-Brothers-dancing-gif-Zs26.gif

I'll admit I was kind of skeptical after that thread but seeing Franklin and Michael's relationship so far I think the way it's been done definitely works.

Also, I don't know how you messed up that spoiler tag so bad, but at least it doesn't really spoil much :p

Shaneus

32771-Blues-Brothers-dancing-gif-Zs26.gif

I'll admit I was kind of skeptical after that thread but seeing Franklin and Michael's relationship so far I think the way it's been done definitely works.

Also, I don't know how you messed up that spoiler tag so bad, but at least it doesn't really spoil much :p
You'd be surprised how often I *do* do it, before I can ninja everything back up again. But I think I'll leave it there now, as an indication that even perfect people can have their moments ;)

PS. I'm quoting your entire post because Blues Brothers.

I feel like I've just turned 18 again, playing San Andreas for the first time. So much fun.

Perhaps you didn't catch it, but they're strongly advising *against* installing the play disc for 360. Install the install disc, play with the play disc in the drive but not installed :)

Edit: Yo rep, even though they say there's no way you should install both the install and play discs on the HDD, they suggest that you could install the play disc to an (I'd assume) very fast USB flash drive. That way the play disc content is separated from the install disc content which doesn't happen if you install them on the same drive.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82284985&postcount=86

I know all that, that's why I noted it lol

As I said, couldn't stand the disc drive so was willing to put up with texture loading issues for the first night. Didn't notice it after the first hour though anyway thankfully.

another member of the ausgaf wiiu party question mark here my grammar is broken

welcome friend exclamation mark

how about that lego city undercover interrobang here

Hah! You best believe it.
As you can tell, 101 has been pretty much ruling what little social life I have left.
So goddamned good.

Thanks!

I can't tell what you meant by that last sentence but I haven't got around to playing Undercover yet :(
It's on my list after Wind Waker HD

Seeing as the cheapest place to get GTAV is through the US psn store, I guess I'll go buy some psn wallet funds from amazon.
Anyone here buy it from the us psn store? how were the download speeds?

BTW, first post in Ausgaf, Hi everyone!

Jintor

any plans to come back down to abbott's australia for a visit anytime soon deek or you gonna hide up in HK for the duration

Deeku

^Lol nautical theme, sounds fun! I just had a nice small dinner with some close friends.

any plans to come back down to abbott's australia for a visit anytime soon deek or you gonna hide up in HK for the duration
Probably during Xmas/new year to check out the new niece + family etc. If you're around then, guess we can hang and get some ramen or something

I now officially have US permanent Residency. For reals.
Got bumped to business class too. Which was nice.

In foggy LA today before heading up to Seattle. i said i was going to stay strong and wait for GTA on next gen (i only bought my wii u). But FUCKING COCKSUCKING HYPETRAINS!

I also saw a Tesla on the freeway. Fwoar!

Top Bottom