• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

No, it's because GAF is mass approving new accounts. We might get Choc back under one of his alias'

I'm gonna be honest, I've been a long time lurker of GAF. What pushed me over the line to join was all the live streams of GTAV that were being posted that I couldn't view with the links for with out quoting posts.

I was approved in less than 48 hours to my pleasant surprise.

I've always liked these forums though, so hopefully I'll stick around for everything else.

senahorse

Seeing as the cheapest place to get GTAV is through the US psn store, I guess I'll go buy some psn wallet funds from amazon.
Anyone here buy it from the us psn store? how were the download speeds?

BTW, first post in Ausgaf, Hi everyone!

I did, took close to an hour and a half to download and install.

senahorse

BTW I'm loving the colours used in this game. I'm surprised with the jaggies and the inconsistent framerate on PS3 (sure I read it barely dipped below 30, I'm finding it barely stays at 30 for more than a few seconds) but I'm loving the colours and some of the post-processing and colouring.

Coming from PC gaming the framerate is absolutely horrible, though knowing I can't have it any better (until the inevitable PC version) it's not so bad. Looking forward to getting stuck into it.

The game prompts you several times to download an "App for your personal iFruit smart device". It took me four times seeing that message to work out it meant "Buy this thing on iTunes. For your phone. Your phone, not any of the in-game phones." Kinda gross.
Well, that explains why the couple of minutes I spent trying to find the Apps on my in game phone came up with nothing. I just assumed that I needed to 'unlock' apps in my phone by doing more missions and just shouted "don't tell me about the bloody thing until I've unlocked it, ya carnts!!!" at the screen each time it popped up.

My impressions of the game are: it is very much a GTA game. It immediately feels just like every other time I've started to play one of the series, which is both a good and a bad feeling. Good, in that the game intrinsically holds a lot of potential in terms of world size, optional missions and exploration outside of missions and bad, in that the game holds a lot of potential in terms of world size, optional missions and exploration that will distract me from missions.

I've not played too many missions so far, so I'm still schmucking around the world with the one guy (that I hope I will get to kill at some point) yet still hopeful that this will be the first character in a long while where I feel that I'm in control of what I'm doing, not being a hapless dogsbody for every piece of shit person that I encounter.

The pluses are that it does look good for current gen consoles, miraculously so when compared to GTA4. The world is populated to varying degrees depending upon the area, making it seem realistic enough, but people seriously need to shut up. Too much talky talk, people. The play area seems quite huge; I spent a fair amount of time last night just exploring, both to be nosey and also to get rid of the fog of war on the map. PS- I hate you, fog of war.

The minuses are... well, I get the feel that I just won't like any of the characters in the game. Again. It's a little bit comforting to hear from some of you that one of the characters might be okay. I think I really began disliking the main characters once they began talking and Rockstar tried to inject personality into them. The wrong type. My biggest issue so far is that all my cars are drunk. Absolutely plastered. They slide around the road like the back wheels are coated in teflon. This will probably improve once I upgrade my driving stills, but still...

Actually, I've just realised that I just lied - my biggest issue is still the testosterone levels of the police. They go from calm to shooting you in the head at the drop of a hat. I accidentally scraped by car against a police car, which obviously pissed them off. However, as soon as I speed off, they immediately took that as a sign to freely shoot at me. When my car flipped and I got out, a friendly constable decided to ram me at full speed and murder me. That's the only way I can look at it. I was on foot. He was in a car. He hit me at 60mph knowing full well I would die. Straight up murderkilled me. For scraping a police car. Good job, game. There have also been a couple of times where the police has started chasing me for reasons unknown. Very very early on in the game you are driving
a tow truck and returning a car to an impound lot
. As I was entering the lot, the police went psycho. So I had to get out of the lot and evade them. In a
truck
. While still
towing the car
. It did not end well, thought it unfair as part of the mission to do that and I wondered how I was meant to finish the mission. When I retried the mission the police didn't pounce on me as I was pulling into the lot. Conclusion: ?!?

Anyway, I'm interested in opening the world up a bit more, unlocking stuff and seeing if the game draws me in. It's interesting seeing them take parts of their previous games, even ones outside of the GTA license and applying them to this game. I do wish to see where this goes and if I will actually enjoy switching characters.

Gazunta

Good morning all, here is a comic about every single time a non-gamer played a Nintendo 64 game!

Clive, good to hear you landed safely :) Nice working getting the upgrade!

Hello everyone :D

Long time reader, recent poster. First timer in AusGAF as well.

I usually end up being really behind in discussion(s) (and just revert to reading), but I'll see how I go on this thread :p

Welcome all newbloodcomers!

GTA V is definitely GTA IV+1. +RDR +LA Noire. Mucking around the desert it feels a lot like RDR what with all the pouncing deer and whatnot. After patching my 360 and installing, which took nearly 90 minutes (enough time to put out the rubbish, do some dishes, and cook katsu for dinner) I played for maybe four hours last night, I've only just unlocked the first two guys with the ability to switch between them (the
yacht chasing
mission was the last one I did) but most of my time was spent dicking around in the environment.

The map isn't Just Cause 2 big but it still takes a few minutes to fly a stolen jet across it, and then splash said jet into the sea. As Jase says, the cops are trigger happy, and my characters seem to die pretty easily. The car controls have reverted to more of a GTA3 engine style control, I was interested to see you could control the angle of the cars in the air and flip them over, you couldn't do that (that I recall) in GTA4. Definitely a lot more arcadey. Sports cars definitely have a slippery rear end but other cars are alright. Driving an oil tanker along a mountain dirt road is fun.

jambo

I actually kinda like the driving, and I loved it in IV.

It feels like a combination of the best aspects of the old driving model from III-SA and the new model in IV. Cars still slide around, but no where near as much as in IV. Also the brakes are a bit crazy, probably so you don't die so much from all the traffic accidents.

Also I've died a lot in this game, but only a few times has it felt cheap. Most times I was either driving too wildly, not using special abilities or just took on too many cops.

Love the line of sight police now, so easy to hide down a little side alley or in the suburbs. A tad harder when choppers are involved, but you just need to find a construction site or tunnel.

5/5 from me so far

Worst thing about GTA5 is that it is going to look and play so much better on PC. Can I have an invite to the Ausgaf social club? Same name as here.

I'll try, but the Rockstar Social Club website has been pretty dodgy for me over the past 24 hours.

Can I take the role as the moocher that comes in late, immediately suggests going to lunch and then leaves early because it's been a "pretty long and hectic day."?

Gaznuts, excellent cartoon.

Markot, anyone who threatens to leave over election results is a damn fool. Anyone who leaves because of one or doesnt leave anyway has already proven to be an idiot.

I left because of the ultra-limited (read: nonexistant) job opportunities for me. And because my name was picked from a hat. If i could have supported my family, i would have stayed. I may still fail in the US but ill give it my best effort.

I have had about 10 hours sleep over the last 3 days so i may start hallucinating soon. Put down the knife. Dont jump.

I actually haven't had any issues with the cops yet :| They annoy the heck out of me so I've been making an effort to drive carefully....

Good morning all, here is a comic about every single time a non-gamer played a Nintendo 64 game!
Clive, good to hear you landed safely :) Nice working getting the upgrade!
Hey man, some of us had tiny hands! >.>

Let's MAKE a boardgame or something.

That... actually sounds awesome.

I left because of the ultra-limited (read: nonexistant) job opportunities for me. And because my name was picked from a hat. If i could have supported my family, i would have stayed. I may still fail in the US but ill give it my best effort.

I have had about 10 hours sleep over the last 3 days so i may start hallucinating soon. Put down the knife. Dont jump.

Good luck to you. If given the chance to get US citizenship, would you take it?

Hello everyone :D

Long time reader, recent poster. First timer in AusGAF as well.

I usually end up being really behind in discussion(s) (and just revert to reading), but I'll see how I go on this thread :p

The trick is to not really worry about it and to just follow the discussion at the time. Or check on the thread multiple times a day. :p

I was approved in less than 48 hours to my pleasant surprise.

I've always liked these forums though, so hopefully I'll stick around for everything else.

We hope so too! Welcome to both of you! If you hang out on IRC servers or on Steam all day/night, we have a bot I wrote that echos chatter between the two protocols so you can use either. Do come chat, there's always at least 10-15 people on from 9am until roughly 10pm weekdays. All hours of the day/night Fri-Sun.

welcome newbies
snacks and refreshments over there ->

Gaznuts, excellent cartoon.

Markot, anyone who threatens to leave over election results is a damn fool. Anyone who leaves because of one or doesnt leave anyway has already proven to be an idiot.

What do you do Mr. Pwned

PS3 500GB with GTA5 for $300 shipped from Amazon UK

Free entry to Sydney museum this Friday night

Fucking fiending for more GTA but I'm picking up my grandparents from the train station as soon as I finish work, it's my granddad's birthday so there goes tonight too

>_<

lexi

Banned
lol, well it was a good article anyhow, even if the masses aren't ready for it :p I'm still enjoying the game though.

Don't get me wrong, I look forward to playing it on PC, I just think there's definitely room for critique. The article nailed it in the description of Rockstars' satire.

senahorse

lol, well it was a good article anyhow, even if the masses aren't ready for it :p I'm still enjoying the game though.

My gf hasn't played a GTA before but I have made her well aware of the sexism present, she'll be able to look beyond it but I didn't want her going in without knowing. Though I think she had a pretty good idea from the marketing material.

Dead Man

Don't get me wrong, I look forward to playing it on PC, I just think there's definitely room for critique. The article nailed it in the description of Rockstars' satire.

There is a lot of room for critiquing. They have improved a lot of things over 4, but they still have a lot of jank that should have ended with SA, and some of their design choices are baffling.

Dead Man

Is there going to be backlash? The only backlash I've seen so far is to the reviewers who didn't give it 10/10.

There will be, and it will be a lot quicker than 4, since people were already primed after the shitfest that was 4. I am really enjoying it so far, but it is definitely a solid 8 or 9, not a 10 for me.

jambo

Newly approved Bris-resident reporting for duty.

I'm gonna camp out in Aus-GAF for a while until I find my feet around here. :p (even though I've lurked for Christ knows how long)

Nice to meet you all!

Sidenote, apologies in advance for derailing the GTAV talk.

Carry on.

Seeing as the cheapest place to get GTAV is through the US psn store, I guess I'll go buy some psn wallet funds from amazon.
Anyone here buy it from the us psn store? how were the download speeds?

BTW, first post in Ausgaf, Hi everyone!

Welcome Juniors!

Steam ID?
360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer?
How many of your relatives has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far?
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery?
Would you buy a Crackdown 3?
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas?
iOS gamer or Android user?
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM?
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming?
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies?
UGG boots. Do you speak it?
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY?
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan?
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here.
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole?
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge?
Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez?
Any glass eyeballs?
Are you the one delaying all the fucking videogames into 2013 killing 3rd party support for the WiiU?
Are you Mayan or can use Maya?
Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time.

Danoss

Is there going to be backlash? The only backlash I've seen so far is to the reviewers who didn't give it 10/10.

That sort of backlash cracks me up. Reviewers should just give every game a 10/10 and call it a day. Publishers get what they want, developers get their bonuses and the angry gamer gets what they want.

Unless of course a brain-infested reader wants to actually know if the game is worthwhile. Perhaps they might come to realise that reading is not some giant hurdle to be avoided. Navigating to the bottom of the page no longer provides the same result it once did and they might actually have to read and comprehend some paragraphs of text about something they claim to enjoy very much, instead of interpreting a number based on an inconsistent scale that renders it somewhat meaningless anyway.

If this occurred, the contents of the reviews might be under a greater scrutiny. If the text can't be ignored and more people expect a certain level of quality beyond rewording a PR prepared document or the ramblings equivalent to a young adolescent, the standards have a chance at being raised.

Even if this was an experiment to take place over the course of a week or two, there could be at least one benefit besides the above. Those who haven't done so already might come to the realisation that a review is merely an opinion and not a statement of fact. It may even be seen that the views of the uninitiated are welcome and useful &#8211; if one is not familiar with a particular genre or oeuvre, their insight as an outsider is helpful to improve accessibility of newcomers to increase the audience size &#8211; to the benefit of most involved. Of course anything even remotely resembling this would be nothing more than a pipe-dream of those with even a modicum of intellect wishing that, should a variety of analyses even exist, they would not be drowned out in a sea of incensed individuals with nothing more than passion as the pillar with which to support them.

Last GTA swipe (for now): The tutorial popups that appear on screen are not there for long enough and are not apparent enough and were often missed or noticed far too late to read entirely. In the opening sequence, just after
taking the money from the vault
, you had to take position before exiting the building. Apparently I missed the hint about entering cover. Regardless of where I stood, I had people screaming at me to get into position. Even when I went to the glowy spot. Repeatedly. It wasn't until I thought that maybe I need to do something else to trigger the next part of the mission that I went into the controls and looked for a cover mechanic.

There were a couple of instances where the same thing happened for other hints. I'm not asking for them to be intrusive, but when people are firing at you and a small black box appears in the top corner, it may not get noticed.

Despite my grievances, I am looking forward to getting stuck back into it.

Dead Man

Last GTA swipe (for now): The tutorial popups that appear on screen are not there for long enough and are not apparent enough and were often missed or noticed far too late to read entirely. In the opening sequence, just after
taking the money from the vault
, you had to take position before exiting the building. Apparently I missed the hint about entering cover. Regardless of where I stood, I had people screaming at me to get into position. Even when I went to the glowy spot. Repeatedly. It wasn't until I thought that maybe I need to do something else to trigger the next part of the mission that I went into the controls and looked for a cover mechanic.

There were a couple of instances where the same thing happened for other hints. I'm not asking for them to be intrusive, but when people are firing at you and a small black box appears in the top corner, it may not get noticed.

Despite my grievances, I am looking forward to getting stuck back into it.

Yeah, it is about the only game about which I can say the tips/tutorial text is not prominent enough. You can at least go read it after, but that assumes you noticed it in the first place, and that you look it up in time since it has a very short window of being retained before being displaced by other info.

jambo

I had the same thing a couple of times, just seeing a pop up box as it faded out and missing out on information.

There is a briefs section in the pause menu, lists all pop ups and conversations from missions.

Dead Man

I had the same thing a couple of times, just seeing a pop up box as it faded out and missing out on information.

There is a briefs section in the pause menu, lists all pop ups and conversations from missions.

I only saw a limited list of the most recent ones, did I miss the full list?

Steam ID? Monkey_Ov_Doom (account name) or Mr. Gingerlicious (community)
360 Gamertag? n/a
PS3 thingy? n/a
Twitterer? Nope
How many of your relatives has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far? None that I am aware of :|
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery? Mr Connery (Butt Shex?)
Would you buy a Crackdown 3? No thanks
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas? No comment
iOS gamer or Android user? Android (phone)
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM? Non restrictive is fine by me
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming? I don't see why
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies? Cookies are a 'some times' food
UGG boots. Do you speak it? Nein
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips. Indeed :D
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY? I has 3DS
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan? Not so much
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here. Plenty to choose from... Megan Gale has always made my heart flutter <3
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole? Potential robot arsehole sent back through time
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN? baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider? Yes, aye, bloody oath
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge? Without it I would not have enough Mana
Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez? FieldsOfBattlez indeed
Any glass eyeballs? Not yet
Are you the one delaying all the fucking videogames into 2013 killing 3rd party support for the WiiU? No sir
Are you Mayan or can use Maya? Negatory
Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time. Cool story bro :D

That welcome thingy is so played out even Cliff Richard thinks its over stayed its welcome.
It's new to me :D

Top Bottom