• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

It really is

QGJVTqK.jpg

Lot of great shit in there. Think I would be most keen for Jagwar Ma, King Krule and Lorde
They are words and letters that I know, just not in configurations with which I am familiar.

Actually, I might know a couple. Maybe.

If you don't know what hope is there for OldGAF? I know Adalita and Jezabels. And that is it.

You know more bands than me? Betrayed, by my favourite dead man.

I have no idea who any of those artists are. I obviously don't listen to JJJ enough.

Well, this makes me feel a tad better. I haven't listened to the radio since mine broke back in... 2008ish. And music was awful so I never went back.

jambo

I don't know any of those bands, but then I don't listen to Triple JJJ outside of the Hottest 100 and I get angry when reading Pitchfork.

Danoss

I'm glad I have people on the Google Pluses to keep me informed on how laughably bad D&D Next is sounding.

Some excepts from this full article: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130923

The editors and a team of designers will finalize work on the core game. This work consists of squashing bugs, simplifying things, and incorporating the final round of public feedback. The game’s foundation will be set in stone, as will the core options for the classes.

Meanwhile, a second design team will tackle a number of outstanding topics. These include the following elements.

The underlying math of the game.

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, these systems are aimed at specific subsets of players. Testing them in public would just result in a lot of people that the system isn’t aimed at giving us negative feedback. Thus, we’re showing these systems to groups that we know are in the target audience.

One particular person's thoughts, which are quite accurate:

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. 2+ years of design, a year of public playtesting, a FULL TIME design team, the backing of an enormous company, 40+ years of history to draw from, the largest playtest base of any RPG, a second set of designers , and they're only now working out the underlying math? And that underlying math is "aimed at a specific subset of players" and they're afraid of receiving negative feedback in a public playtest?

This kind of shit is embarrassing to all of us who don't have the luxury of full time employment at Hasbro, don't have health insurance, are struggling to keep ourselves fed, don't have ridiculous resources, and yet somehow manage to create more complex systems with working math frameworks in about a tenth of the time.

wYALZTJ.png

markot

Banned
D&D is a stupid thing.

Its a stupid set of rules for dumb games that rely on sucking money from monkeys.

Its like Warhammer, juts a big ole scam.

Danoss

So what exactly were they playtesting all this time if they didn't have the math worked out

That's a very good question.

You can playtest some other aspects to see if they are working as intended, adjust as necessary and remove ambiguities. Beyond that, if you haven't tested that the maths actually works, then you've quite possibly created a lot of extra work for yourself.

What they've done would be analogous to a builder constructing the majority of a house and then saying "we should probably check the foundations and make sure they'll hold, right?" That's amongst other acts of stupidity.

Depends what the focus of your system is on, I guess. If the maths weren't very important you could certainly leave it until later.

Everyone who hates D&D seems to because of the rules, so maybe this time they were figuring out a framework where the rules are less important? I haven't followed any of it, so I don't know...

Had a job interview this afternoon. Got a rejection 30 minutes later. Technology!

Danoss

Maths should be around about third in line, depending on the type of game. First thing is to have an idea what your game is about, second is to create ways for how your game is about this i.e. mechanics. After this point would usually come the maths to support it and make sure that the mechanics work.

Playtest will then test a whole bunch of this shit at once and it will usually break horribly. Most games either reach this point and die because they fail in execution or they fail before they even get there. This is taking into account the recommendation to playtest early to catch flaws before you iterate on them.

D&D can't play loose with the rules, their stuff is closer to a legal document than anything. While that is an exaggeration, it is 'rules as written' where words are chosen carefully and is heavily dependent on it. Everyone who wants something more modern and less strict are playing the likes of 13th Age and Dungeon World.

Had a job interview this afternoon. Got a rejection 30 minutes later. Technology!

Better luck next time mate.

So hey, here I am on a Tuesday/Wednesday linking to another Jimquisition like I do every week. Too bad. I'll keep doing it while he is putting up videos that make sense that doesn't seem to jell with the rumblings on NeoGAF at the time.

This week! Playing the bad guy! As a lover of K&L2 (not particularity the first one as the gameplay was incredibly mediocre although the story setup is fantastic) and Saints Row 2 this hit home really well.

Dead Man

Imma get some popcorn for this thread.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=684969
That first reply :/

So hey, here I am on a Tuesday/Wednesday linking to another Jimquisition like I do every week. Too bad. I'll keep doing it while he is putting up videos that make sense that doesn't seem to jell with the rumblings on NeoGAF at the time.

This week! Playing the bad guy! As a lover of K&L2 (not particularity the first one as the gameplay was incredibly mediocre although the story setup is fantastic) and Saints Row 2 this hit home really well.

I appreciate it because I always forget to check out his new videos.

You know more bands than me? Betrayed, by my favourite dead man.
Hey, can't help it if I know what the kids are listening too ;)

Shaneus

Re: that laneway festival thing that's on. I might out myself here as some kind of weirdo (shut up, Jase) that likes music outside of the demographic he's in, but damn if I wouldn't want to see Chvrches live. Love their shit.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
That first reply :/

He isn't entirely wrong though. Linux as a core is perfectly fine but it's general usability for the mass market consumer is far off from being there. That's the problem with open source, 10 people have 10 different ideas as to what option is best, so you end up with a mix of ways to do a simple task.

I still feel Linux needs it's own real application installer, like a windows .exe or an OSX .dmg file. That would help immensely with just installing a simple application, Instead of trying to do it manually via terminal or through some installer software based on the brand of linux you install.

SteamOS will be a nice idea, But once you move past big picture mode and stare at the desktop, There's going to be a lot of people who are going to be very confused.

ffs setups are fun and so is trouble shooting when you cant get past the first step.
"trouble connecting devices" no
"device too far away from computer" no
"video on how to add thigns" no
how bout telling me why the setup keeps telling me i dont have a logitech unifying receiver plugged into my computer when it clearly is

Top Bottom