• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

elfinke

http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2011/09/05/3310162.htm

If video games remove the possibility of "bad things" ever happening, all that's left is the glory of guns blazing, of enemies being sheered in twain by oversized blades. All that's left is violence without tragedy, violence without moral consequence.

The notion that "bad things" in games need have no consequence is entirely fallacious. There are many that use the choice to harm the innocent as a dramatic device, and do so to striking effect.

Interesting article, all the more poignant for the anime discussion taking place earlier (in a tangential way at least). I wasn't aware of the changes made to BF3 (removing civilians).

Shaneus

elfinke said:
http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2011/09/05/3310162.htm

Interesting article, all the more poignant for the anime discussion taking place earlier (in a tangential way at least). I wasn't aware of the changes made to BF3 (removing civilians).
Very interesting article. Possibly worth creating a new thread for.

It's a great point elfinke and one that I agree with wholeheartedly. Action without consequence breaks the reality of the situation. Even something simple liking killing a postal worker in GTA would benefit from the next time you walk into the Post Office you see a notice on a board paying respect to the worker. I felt like in RDR when you were up in the high country hunting bears the consequence of firing a weapon was that otehr animals in the area would turn their attention to you made the hunting more tense even before pulling the trigger.

Good article. It raises the question though of how you properly penalise doing 'bad things'. Deducting points kind of trivialises the killing of innocents and having the game just end is more frustrating than emotionally resonant.

Excellent article, collateral damage is expected in these kind of situations, I see no need to disable or remove it. Spoils the experience. A game is as game is a game. Treat it as such.

Shaneus

FallbackPants said:
Good article. It raises the question though of how you properly penalise doing 'bad things'. Deducting points kind of trivialises the killing of innocents and having the game just end is more frustrating than emotionally resonant.
Deducting points wouldn't really have an affect on the flow of the story in the slightest. You'd have to have an impact on the game world itself and have it be visible rather than just a downgrade in your characters HP or score. Reptile's example is pretty well spot-on. Something like that, or have it affect the storyline down the track somehow.

ClivePwned said:
console versions of Dead Island (wednesday) and Space Marine (thursday) for $58 from Big W this week
Best damn local deals I have seen in a long time. Also nice that they aren't doing that 'reveal the prices on the day' crap they used to do.

jambo

I think the real issue is that polls don't mean shit, marriage should be the right of every person, no matter the gender of the people intending to get married.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Best damn local deals I have seen in a long time. Also nice that they aren't doing that 'reveal the prices on the day' crap they used to do.
Yup, but for some reason still can't touch import prices. Being able to order something like DE3 day one for under $50 is ridiculous.

Kerrby

Banned
jambo said:
I think the real issue is that polls don't mean shit, marriage should be the right of every person, no matter the gender of the people intending to get married.

But that's not the definition of marriage though.

Jintor

jambo said:

pretty much

i love how he says the greens are pushing their crazy ideaology while totally oblivious to the fact that he is also pushing a crazy ideology

Fredescu

Kerrby said:
Joining two things is the definition of marriage. You can marry the Greens to Labor to form a minority government, or you can marry strong business to great IP.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Monday, fuck yeah.

importedstuff_09052011kuhb.jpg

And, no, I didn't buy the Bob the Builder table the stuff is resting on.

Kerrby said:

You're aware that marriage predates Christian doctrine? What's with Christians hijacking the definition, changing certain attributes throughout history and then screaming bloody murder when the rest of society wants to modernise the practice in contemporary society?

Jintor

I'm personally awaiting confirmation that Kerrby isn't trolling, although given his antics in the Gay relationships thread I'll not put down money on that

Kritz

Banned
Jintor said:
I'm personally awaiting confirmation that Kerrby isn't trolling, although given his antics in the Gay relationships thread I'll not put down money on that

Didn't he somehow turn the MLP thread in the OT into a gay thread, too? He also appears to have a problem with anime, which I'm going to extrapolate out a bit and infer something hidden behind that.

What'd he get banned for, again? I don't recall.

Jintor

That wasn't him, that was someone who was both part of MLP-Gaf and GayGAF, though he was definitely there being a silly goose

markot

Banned
Jintor said:
He does have some valid points in regards to methodology and how easy it is to game online polls though.
I dont think most people use online polls though in arguments, they use the ones by reputable organisations, who can be trusted if their methodology and track record is straight.

Kerrby

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:
You're aware that marriage predates Christian doctrine? What's with Christians hijacking the definition, changing certain attributes throughout history and then screaming bloody murder when the rest of society wants to modernise the practice in contemporary society?

que? I'm mimicking Julia Gillard. I don't make the law.

Kritz, how about you stop being a such a pussy and give me your insults straight up.

Yagharek

The irony of Jim Wallace lecturing anyone on democracy. The ACL is perhaps the least democratic organisation in Australia. Bunch of lunatics.

Kritz

Banned
Jintor said:
That wasn't him, that was someone who was both part of MLP-Gaf and GayGAF, though he was definitely there being a silly goose

Right, that was with the nyan pony person or whatever. Some guy being upset because some GayGAFer said he couldn't be in GayGAF because he was in PonyGAF or something.

Community hybrids are weird.

Kerrby said:
que? I'm mimicking Julia Gillard. I don't make the law.

Kritz, how about you stop being a such a pussy and give me your insults straight up.

Don't give me that shit, you know what you're doing, your homophobic views have come up a couple of times already. Would you like to actually respond to my critique given the definition of marriage has been hijacked by Christians.

If you're going to hold bigoted views, the least you can do is openly admit it right?

Kritz

Banned
Oh and Kerrby, if you just want this to devolve down to profanities I'm sure you could pick a few out of a hat and be just as well off. Besides, it's fun watching other people call you out for a change.

Yagharek

legend166 said:
megaaaaaaton

Indeed. I step out, cut up an orange and some kiwi fruit (plus banana/maple yoghurt = AMAZING COMBO) and come back, see the DQX thread has increased in size by 8 pages.

Check thread title has been edited.

8=======>

Bernbaum

ClivePwned said:
console versions of Dead Island (wednesday) and Space Marine (thursday) for $58 from Big W this week
Space Marine? I'll buy it!

FYI AusGAF I don't play video games any more. This year I've played Portal 2 and half of LA Noire. Went back and replayed Halo: ODST which was fun.

I was under the assumption that Insight was filmed a few hours before airing and edited together on the spot. That's not true. Looks like the topic I will be contributing to - 'Hacktivism' won't go to air for two weeks.

Kerrby

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:
Don't give me that shit, you know what you're doing, your homophobic views have come up a couple of times already. Would you like to actually respond to my critique given the definition of marriage has been hijacked by Christians.

If you're going to hold bigoted views, the least you can do is openly admit it right?

I'm not sure what you want me to say, are you trying to call me out for being a Christian?

Kritz said:
Oh and Kerrby, if you just want this to devolve down to profanities I'm sure you could pick a few out of a hat and be just as well off. Besides, it's fun watching other people call you out for a change.

LOL just like you tried to call me out just then but failed? I didn't turn the MLP thing into a gay topic, I was trying to defend one of them that GayGAF outcast.

DeathJr said:
How can anybody be against homosexuals? Lesbians are hot!

I'm with you ;).

Shaneus

DeathJr said:
How can anybody be against homosexuals? Lesbians are hot!
Hot lesbians are, yes. Others, not so much... in both personality and physical appearance. In fact, I'd go so far to say that I know more "pretty"/girly lesbians who are genuinely nicer people than tomboy ones... like they have some axe to grind or something.

Top Bottom