• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

elfinke

DeathJr said:
Eh? S2 is 4.3" while iPhone is 3.7". The difference is colossal.

EDIT: Is there no option to merge continuous posts?

What are you misinterpreting? That ~4" (+/- 10%) size is perfect for phones. That middle ground (5" to 7") that these other things are trying to shoehorn into sucks - once you get that big you might as go all the way and have a 9"-10" tablet.

jambo

DeathJr said:
Watch the reveal video, the stylus is actually pretty handy and can be used for drawing and artistic purpose. You don't have to use it.

It's a phone! What drawing would I be doing on it that would require something more accurate than my finger? =\

It seems I'm wholly incapable of trolling. I kept trying to get a rise out of upset DQ fans and try as I might, nobody bit. Oh well.

What's happened in this thread today?

Kerrby said:
Is anybody here actually religious before this debate gets anymore heated :lol?
Used to be. Don't subscribe to the beliefs anymore, but I respect those that do and I still get annoyed when people get things wrong.

Bernbaum said:
I'm suggesting that instead of accepting Christ as a figurehead of a religion (along with all the supernatural trappings) that it's still possible to merely follow the example of someone who was selfless and taught to think of your common man. The fact that someone (son of god or otherwise) held strong altruistic values 2000 years ago speaks volumes about the inherit goodness of the human species.

Despite identifying as 'Christian' up until I was 16, not once did I believe the creation story (a sentiment paralleled by my Lutheran school, family and church) and I never quite understood the chief value of the faith - Christ's sacrifice. The death on the cross was always treated as this amazing event that still affects people emotionally to this day but it went right over my head. No-one has ever explained to me the logic behind how the death of a single figure results in the wiping clean of the slate and all I get are convoluted answers. In the end, that didn't matter to me - we'd go to chapel and the lesson every time was "You're going to do some dumb shit in this life, try not to hurt anyone" and that was a great lesson.

It wasn't until we got a genuine fundamentalist pastor on the scene who scrapped all of that and said 'Nope, all that magic stuff really happened' that I realised I wasn't really a Christian anyways.

I used to think so until I learned he was a pretty bad anti-semite.

Totally agree. The core beliefs of christianity (and I'm not a christian) are a solid way to live. If all you take from the bible is 'be a good bloke' then I think it's done it's job.

That said, Bill and Ted's 'Be excellent to each other' gets the point across is a much easier way.

I have a mate who is very Christian, but he essentially subscribes to that belief. He doesn't preach to anyone and definitely doesn't judge people. He who is without sin and all. I've never asked him about gay marriage, and I'm probably not going to. But still, he is what I think all Christians should be.

Yagharek

Kerrby said:
Is anybody here actually religious before this debate gets anymore heated :lol?

Some people are.

The problem with religion debates is that civility gets thrown out the window. It goes from an argument about ideas to an argument about people who believe in whatever they do.

I've had perfectly civil debates with work colleagues who are very religious (creationist, even) and whilst I think creationism is one of the most ridiculous ideas going around, I can still convey that thought without getting slapped for saying so.

I think that if you get upset about an argument on such a topic, it's often a sign that you don't like your ideas being tested. Personally, I'd be up for any of the most religious people in the world to debate me about my viewpoint, because I'm confident in it and confident that I have the understanding to rationalise my position in a coherent manner.

By the same token, if I came out and laid down an argument about radiometric data, astrophysics and Big Bang cosmology, Evolution and various other sciences that support a 13.7Bn year old universe created out of quantum fluctuations - and presented this to a hardcore YEC - if they truly believe what they say they do then they should be able to listen without getting upset. Hell, I've had such debates with doorknocking JW's and had a great chat with them.

tl;dr: it's about the tone of discussion, not the content

But I'm still right

Kerrby

Banned
jambo said:
Religion.

twintowerswithoutreligion.jpg

RandomVince said:
BIG WALL O' TEXT

I guess you could also say it's the personality that goes with it as well. Some less tolerant and pushy in their beliefs could lead to the discussion getting out of hand.

legend166

Bernbaum said:
Well, as an atheist I ignore both testaments in roughly equal measure but one of those tomes clearly has a higher proportion of everyday magic; boring extended family trees; lists of rules about what animals/objects/family members you can't have sex with; and fire and brimstone than the other.

Haha, clearly I wasn't talking about non-believers.

I can't get into a debate now because I've left work and have birthday festivities, but I'll try and get back to it tomorrow at work.

Well, after I go to a funeral for this lady from my church. 88!

Yagharek

Kerrby said:
I guess you could also say it's the personality that goes with it as well. Some less tolerant and pushy in their beliefs could lead to the discussion getting out of hand.

If you can't argue a point without remaining civil, then you should work on becoming a good sprinter.

I think that the reason so many people get shitty with Richard Dawkins is because his ideas are a direct challenge to their core beliefs. And when people who believe something strongly - but cannot say why, are challenged, they often retort with "yeah, well Dawkins is a dick".

Anyone who has seen him speak live, even debate live or interview the most devout people he can, would see that he is the very picture of calm, rational and polite debating.

Bernbaum

I'm just gonna say that it's because of people like my best friend who surfs and says grace before dinner; my closest colleague who listens to me whinge about everything and doesn't go out on Saturdays because she has has church commitments on Sundays; and legend166 who knows that Nintendo is rad and posts on atheist-happy NeoGAF, that even though I'm not religious I feel a little bit guilty about it and try not to pull punches like a lot atheists will usually do.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
I think that the reason so many people get shitty with Richard Dawkins is because his ideas are a direct challenge to their core beliefs. And when people who believe something strongly - but cannot say why, are challenged, they often retort with "yeah, well Dawkins is a dick".
He does a terrible job in trying to win people over. He frames the debate as us vs them in the beginning and then proceeds to preach to the converted, which is useless. Neil deGrasse Tyson once pointed this out to him publicly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2xGIwQfik

I do like Richard Dawkins a lot of the time, but I'm the converted.

Kerrby

Banned
RandomVince said:
If you can't argue a point without remaining civil, then you should work on becoming a good sprinter.

Anyone who has seen him speak live, even debate live or interview the most devout people he can, would see that he is the very picture of calm, rational and polite debating.

For some reason when I think of Dawkins I think of that guy who doesn't believe the holocaust happened.

Salacious Crumb

Fredescu said:
He does a terrible job in trying to win people over. He frames the debate as us vs them in the beginning and then proceeds to preach to the converted, which is useless. Neil deGrasse Tyson once pointed this out to him publicly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2xGIwQfik

I do like Richard Dawkins a lot of the time, but I'm the converted.

How else can you frame a debate?

Here's two interviews/debates where I think Dawkins handles himself very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1TpNSodDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMCsMesoWiw&feature=related

jambo

DeathJr said:
Agreed, I don't care about that either. Just want a big ass phone so I can laugh down on the iphone users, again.

I just buy what I think will be the best phone for me, but maybe that's just me. ;)

There are ways of framing an argument vis a vis religion vs non-belief that don't end in people being ridiculously mad at you. It's a part of the basic skillset of human interaction, called diplomacy.

Bottom line is that most people lead unexamined lives and the human mind is an irrational thing in its natural state. Real rationality takes years of training, a tremendous self-awareness and constant vigilance. Even if you know all the traps, you're still likely to fall into them.

When you point out to people their failures in applying logical thinking to a belief they hold, soften the blow. No doubt they will feel vulnerable already, having had their weaknesses shown to all and sundry already. Further poking and insults will only make them react emotionally, which isn't what you want, unless you're a troll, because it stops being a debate at that point and starts being a slinging match.

Don't be one of those people. And if you happen upon one of these people, do what I do and pay them no attention in future. There's even a handy tool on the forums to help you with that:

Ignorelist.png

Religion and Politics! Always a good post spinner! Never a quiet moment if you bring up either topic, keep you in work too if you get paid to discuss it.

Bernbaum said:
Space Marine? I'll buy it!
FYI AusGAF I don't play video games any more. This year I've played Portal 2 and half of LA Noire. Went back and replayed Halo: ODST which was fun.
You should check out Deus Ex 3! It is great. You should play it. That is about the length of pimping needed to get people to play.

Sutton Dagger said:
You're aware that marriage predates Christian doctrine? What's with Christians hijacking the definition, changing certain attributes throughout history and then screaming bloody murder when the rest of society wants to modernise the practice in contemporary society?
It's their thing. Just like corporations. Latch on and hope the money starts rolling in! People from every walk of life will take advantage of a situation if they see an opportunity to move up the ladder of society.

jambo said:
A bearded axe wound perhaps?

;)
You just made me vomit in my mouth good sir. Jolly good show!

Fredescu said:
I'm sure there are plenty of progressive Christians who can hold their faith while understanding that the bible was written in a completely alien culture.
That would be my partner. She is against gay marriage only because of the mistaken idea that it would force Churches to marry them against the wishes of the reverend/leader-in-robe. Once I discussed how it would be impossible for a gay couple to sue a church for not letting them have the ceremony there she was fine with the idea.

Bernbaum said:
The first pastor I ever knew tought us from day one 'Yup, just ignore the old testament, especially Leviticus' and posited that all we should get out of Christianity is to not be a dick.
That seems to be the way the Uniting church seems to run things from my outsiders perspective which is nice, very happy for my Son to attend when it is basically telling him to be a good bloke in the future.

HolyCheck said:
Guys I think we should start making the ausgaf 5 banner.
slow down.
FURIOUSAusGAF 5.0 - Fuck We Talk A Lot And Rarely About Game (And Never Play Any)

RandomVince said:
Isnt 3DS tracking ahead of DS atm?
It is also cheaper or around the same price against a much older piece of hardware. Dick Smith had it $50 cheaper than the DSiXL and the guy at the counter said they had sold more than the 3DS that month. Boggles.

Ydahs said:
Xenoblade hasn't arrived. Grass is green. I'mma go play me some Chrono Trigger.
Just spent an hour cutting damn green grass. Only 2 weeks growth. Damn you wet weather Warrnambool!

RandomVince said:
That would be awesome. Then list them as a terror group.
Sister-in-law is a part of the Revivalist Church. Yeah... :(

hamchan said:
I went to church once and all I could think about was going home and playing FF7.
This is the real question. Which video game church is your favourite? FF7 for me of course, that music! That moment with Aeris! Ah, to be young again.

Fredescu

Salacious Crumb said:
How else can you frame a debate?
Did you watch the video I linked? That explains it better than I could. If you're as educated and as eloquent as Dawkins, you should be able to employ some degree of persuasion. Some sensitivity to the mindset of your audience. "Persuasion isn't 'here's the facts, you're either an idiot or you're not' "

hamchan

Guys, how about we all work out our differences and chill by playing each other in the most casual and friendliest game ever:

Starcraft 2

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Don't be one of those people. And if you happen upon one of these people, do what I do and pay them no attention in future. There's even a handy tool on the forums to help you with that:

Ignorelist.png
But kittonwy had such a cute avatar! (I think they are banned now? Can't remember the last time I saw them post)

Also I love Dawkins but he really is a bit of a dick to anyone who doesn't share his views. Brilliant man and can't wait to see him next year but he does indeed preach to the converted.

Also I'm doing an assignment as an analyst telling people why I think BHP is a successful mining company and it is a hell of a lot of fun. I can insinuate all I want as long as some figures can back me up and I get to use all the current political stuff as well. This is what it feels like to get paid $150,000 p.a. for 5 hours work a week.

Yagharek

Fuck religion, fuck politics: what about the real controversy of the modern world....

Dragon Quest X on Wii U. Next gen is over, thanks for coming Xbox 3/PS4.

Kerrby

Banned
RandomVince said:
Fuck religion, fuck politics: what about the real controversy of the modern world....

Dragon Quest X with monthly subs possibly though!

midonnay

RandomVince said:

what the fuck!!! when did this happen? (rhetorical)

I haven't visited Gaming in a few days

Yagharek

Happened today. Wii version and Wii U version, latter with HD visuals. Mmo like, sub fees possible, single player mode but you may need to be online anyway.

RandomVince said:

Eh. DQ really only matters in Japan and there, the console pool has been shrinking for a good long while. Also:

- It's not Wii U exclusive
- It's MMO-ish
- It's probably coming later than the Wii version
- DQ has never been relied upon as a userbase builder, so its power in that regard is untested.

Jintor

Fredescu said:
Did you watch the video I linked? That explains it better than I could. If you're as educated and as eloquent as Dawkins, you should be able to employ some degree of persuasion. Some sensitivity to the mindset of your audience. "Persuasion isn't 'here's the facts, you're either an idiot or you're not' "

It's tricky because that's kind of the essence of athiesm, being a negative belief and whatnot. Like I've said elsewhere, it's tricky to put "I think your beliefs are a nonsensical mish-mash of ritual and legend around a core set of interesting moral rules" in a way that won't get people pissed off at you.

Jintor

Also, accidentally damaged my kindle somehow on Thursday, sent in a support ticket Saturday, parcel was waiting for me at home when I got back today. Score!

Deeku

Not sure how I feel about DQX.

Re religion: Went to Sunday school a few times as a kid and that's about it. I do have some crazy relatives in Canada who are into Hillsong though lol.

Also, saw this in the toilets at uni today. Not exactly original, but still got a chuckle out of me.
297qyo.jpg

Yagharek

midonnay said:
yeah, thats what I thought Randomvince meant :x

the meltdown would have been epic

I didn't say it was exclusive, just that its on Wii U and Wii. But its Nintendo exclusive.

And yes, there are meltdowns. Holy shit are there meltdowns. Port begging/stock price discussion/Wada resignation/Square Enix just shot themselves in the foot etc etc.

RandomVince said:
Why wouldn't it be coming out on the other next gen consoles? It is only announced on WiiU because it is the only one that has been revealed. The Vita shows how willing 3rd parties are to get on board the next gen train. Not to mention the Wii exclusive Tri didn't burn the PS3 and 360 to the ground in the West so I don't think they are too worried.

I'll chat more about the Revivalist church when I have more time. Nothing nice to say. They don't believe in medicine or doctors, instead they speak in tongues and do a prayer to fix their stomach aches.

Edit: BRAIN FART. No idea why I thought you were talking about Monster Hunter.
Anyway I don't think it will matter. Dragon Quest has never been as big as it should be over here.

Jintor said:
It's tricky because that's kind of the essence of athiesm, being a negative belief and whatnot. Like I've said elsewhere, it's tricky to put "I think your beliefs are a nonsensical mish-mash of ritual and legend around a core set of interesting moral rules" in a way that won't get people pissed off at you.
You start by stripping out words with insulting connotations, like "nonsensical" and substituting them with more neutral language. People make religion a part of their identity, like their nationality. How would an Afghan react to having their country described as backwards and barbaric?

Fredescu

Jintor said:
It's tricky because that's kind of the essence of athiesm, being a negative belief and whatnot.
Being an Evolutionary Biologist is not a negative. Explaining his speciality primarily by means of a negative belief is a trickiness entirely of his own making.

Jintor

commanderdeek said:
Not sure how I feel about DQX.

Re religion: Went to Sunday school a few times as a kid and that's about it. I do have some crazy relatives in Canada who are into Hillsong though lol.

Also, saw this in the toilets at uni today. Not exactly original, but still got a chuckle out of me.
297qyo.jpg

...you go to MQ?

viciouskillersquirrel said:
You start by stripping out words with insulting connotations, like "nonsensical" and substituting them with more neutral language. People make religion a part of their identity, like their nationality. How would an Afghan react to having their country described as backwards and barbaric?

'Mythological' is about the only other term I can think of. Unless 'beliefs with no basis in reality' works. I mean, that's pretty much the definition of faith, right?

If evangelists are going to tell me that I need to find God and that's the only way to be saved, I'm not gonna play with kid gloves on.

Top Bottom