• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Fredescu

Jintor said:
If evangelists are going to tell me that I need to find God and that's the only way to be saved, I'm not gonna play with kid gloves on.
Then all you're going to achieve is a fight.

Jintor

My point is that shit be contradictory and the only 100% foolproof method I have found is to avoid these conversations altogether or to head them off before you get to that point. But I'm hardly going to start something.

Words are wind.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
commanderdeek said:
Not sure how I feel about DQX.

Re religion: Went to Sunday school a few times as a kid and that's about it. I do have some crazy relatives in Canada who are into Hillsong though lol.

Also, saw this in the toilets at uni today. Not exactly original, but still got a chuckle out of me.
297qyo.jpg

my friend did this exact experiment for her honours a year ago....

Rezbit

Okay sorry for the diversion *cough*, but HALP! Cross posting from PC thread. Some in steam might be aware of my little issue. Also I've forgotten my damn GAF password and forgot my ISP password so I can't log in on my new PC :|

Okay so for anyone who read my post regarding the flickering in some games, I have an update...insofar as I have tried heaps of things and nothing has alleviated it. The 560 ti and 21.5" Asus monitor are not cooperating it seems. I see about 3 dull pulsing lines in most games (never on the desktop, can't see it on Portal or Dawn of War II - always noticeably in FC2, Metro, Batman).

So I tried the integrated graphics on the 2500k with the same monitor, and there was no flickering. Okay sweet I thought, must be the 560 ti. Then, just to make sure, I tried another monitor (old 15" LCD) with the 560 ti, and there was no flickering.

With the 560 ti + 21.5" ASUS, I have updated/downgraded drivers to no avail, forced vsync and triple buffering unsuccessfully (through nvidia control panel and D3DOverrider), tried turning off equipment around like modem and speakers, and still nothing. I will try to track down a new VGA cord, but otherwise I am stumped. Maybe it should be noted that these 3 pulsating lines get worse with vsync off, and instead it's heaps of lines scrolling up the screen.

Any ideas?

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
Why wouldn't it be coming out on the other next gen consoles? It is only announced on WiiU because it is the only one that has been revealed. The Vita shows how willing 3rd parties are to get on board the next gen train. Not to mention the Wii exclusive Tri didn't burn the PS3 and 360 to the ground in the West so I don't think they are too worried.

Edit: BRAIN FART. No idea why I thought you were talking about Monster Hunter.
Anyway I don't think it will matter. Dragon Quest has never been as big as it should be over here.

Heh.

No reason it can't come to ps4, Xbox 3, but DQ is usually a one system title. But its also usually an offline RPG.

In any case, this is a potential major driver for Wii U online, and I suppose the Japanese equivalent of CoD in theory. It will drive sales.

Monster Hunter will be on everything though, unless serious moneyhats are used. Which could happen for sure, but I'll bet on 3DS, Vita, Wii U, PS4, iOS, PC and maybe Xbox versions someday.

hamchan

I'll get DQX for the Wii, no need to buy a WiiU for it lol.

Also Nintendo probably moneyhatted the game so I doubt we'll see it on the PS3.

Omikron

Some of you guys might be interested

The ALRC is conducting a review of the classification system in Australia. As part of this review, the ALRC will hold community focus groups to test the kind of content that may be permissible in higher level classification categories (MA15+ and above, including the Refused Classification category). This is a pilot project that will test a methodology for possible further assessment panels that might be held to determine community standards with regards to classification categories in the future.

The ALRC will convene two volunteer focus groups in Sydney at which participants will be asked to view and discuss films, computer games, publications and online content.

NOTE: Participants will be asked to view material which they may find offensive, confronting and disturbing.

http://www.alrc.gov.au/focusgroups

Salacious Crumb

My own goal when talking to religious people is not for them to give up on religion altogether, but for them to see that their religion should be personal and not forced on to other people, including their own children. I don't care if they're religious. I do care if they condemn homosexuals, deprive Africa of condoms, and force abstinent in the place of a proper sexual education.

Fredescu

Rezbit said:
Any ideas?
When you tried the different monitor and video card, were they set to the same resolution and refresh rate? Does the effect change if you change the resolution or refresh rate?

Jintor

Salacious Crumb said:
My own goal when talking to religious people is not for them to give up on religion altogether, but for them to see that their religion should be personal and not forced on to other people, including their own children. I don't care if they're religious. I do care if they condemn homosexuals, deprive Africa of condoms, and force abstinent in the place of a proper sexual education.

Works for me.

After this morning's failure with the sumo kicking us out, we headed to Akihabara in the afternoon after seeing a few sights.

Picked up a Zelda Famicom Disk (that I'll never be able to play) complete at what I think was Super Potato and got a free Super Famista 4 cart from their free box at the front. Was that or what looked like horse racing or strip mahjong. Also some Mario playing cards.

Got a Zelda LTTP complete as well, as that's always been my favourite Zelda. Not the best quality but it was only five bucks where at Super Potato a nice one was $30. Ought to be able to play that with my Honey Bee converter when I get home.

Jintor

Did you go up three flights of stairs into a tiny shop crammed with famicons and sega genesis consoles? Was there an arcade on the top floor? Were there Nintendo plushies all over the place? Was there a potato on their sign?

If so, you have been to Super Potato.

Rezbit

Fredescu said:
When you tried the different monitor and video card, were they set to the same resolution and refresh rate? Does the effect change if you change the resolution or refresh rate?

Different monitor and 560ti were set to a lower resolution (as it was a little 15"er). Same 60hz refresh rate.

With the ASUS 21.5" and the onboard 2500k graphics, it was the same resolution and refresh rate. Also, it doesn't show up in screenshots?

Jintor said:
Did you go up three flights of stairs into a tiny shop crammed with famicons and sega genesis consoles? Was there an arcade on the top floor? Were there Nintendo plushies all over the place? Was there a potato on their sign?

If so, you have been to Super Potato.
In that case I don't think it was. I was keeping an eye out for it but didn't spot it. Pretty happy with rifling through wherever we were though!

Addressing in Japan is probably the most confusing I've ever encountered.

Fredescu

Rezbit said:
Different monitor and 560ti were set to a lower resolution (as it was a little 15"er). Same 60hz refresh rate.
If you lower the resolution to the same on the bigger LCD, does it still appear? That would implicate the monitor. If they didn't appear it wouldn't necessarily rule it out though.

Does your monitor give you different port options? Which one are you using?

Shaneus

Shaneus talks about ReligiGAF:

I had a friend in high school who was/is a JW. Everything was pretty cool the whole time, except the whole no birthday celebrations thing kinda baffled me. I distinctly remember asking him one year if it was okay to sneak him a card. Other than that, it was never spoken about.

Cue a few years after high school finished, naturally we'd drifted apart etc. No biggie. See him with some fellow church-goers at my local train station handing out pamphlets. Had a chat for a few seconds then tried (what felt like) pushing some pamphlets on me. Really disappointed me. Suffice to say, that was the last time I saw him and will be my lasting impression... someone who grew to (from my perspective) put religion before friendship.

/end rant

Considered visiting a maid cafe, but most with the flyers have ignored us thus far. Don't really want to go to the ones that humiliate you. I get that enough in everyday life, thank you very much.

We leave Tokyo sometime on Thursday for Kyoto. Wife has bought so many dolls and paraphernalia.

Rezbit

Fredescu said:
If you lower the resolution to the same on the bigger LCD, does it still appear? That would implicate the monitor. If they didn't appear it wouldn't necessarily rule it out though.

Does your monitor give you different port options? Which one are you using?

Yep, still appears when I lower the res on the bigger one. Strange that it wouldn't do it with the onboard graphics though?

Monitor only has a vga port.

codswallop said:
Considered visiting a maid cafe, but most with the flyers have ignored us thus far. Don't really want to go to the ones that humiliate you. I get that enough in everyday life, thank you very much.

We leave Tokyo sometime on Thursday for Kyoto. Wife has bought so many dolls and paraphernalia.
Go to the @home Cafe! My wife and I went and it was a good time.

Fredescu

Rezbit said:
Yep, still appears when I lower the res on the bigger one. Strange that it wouldn't do it with the onboard graphics though?
Maybe your onboard isn't pushing the same framerate as the 560ti, and pushing up against the 60hz limit is bringing out the problem.

Rezbit said:
Monitor only has a vga port.
It was a 21.5" ASUS from PCCG right? All of those seem to have DVI and HDMI too. You definitely don't have a DVI port? There's a lot less than can go wrong if you go straight from DVI to DVI.

Fogz

So cracked and bought Dead Island off GMG and got a message saying they are out of steam keys.

They reckon they'll get more in a couple of days though.

Rezbit

Fredescu said:
Maybe your onboard isn't pushing the same framerate as the 560ti, and pushing up against the 60hz limit is bringing out the problem.

It was a 21.5" ASUS from PCCG right? All of those seem to have DVI and HDMI too. You definitely don't have a DVI port? There's a lot less than can go wrong if you go straight from DVI to DVI.

Tried limiting the frame rate in FC2 to 30fps and still had it.

Yeah, as soon as I got this one though it was off the site, so I probably picked up the last one. Definitely only vga, but the card has a vga port too, so it's vga->vga.

I do remember seeing the @home cafe -- I think it's one of the first, or famous right? It triggered something in my brain. We don't have any plans to go back Akihabara but if we get time we might do just that.

I dislike religion but appreciate the good it has done in our world. Too bad it has brought a lot of shit along with it. The misinformation of the masses is the hardest one for me to swallow, nothing pisses me off more than lying to people.

Religion for most people I have met has been a case of born into it (and accepted in various degrees, mostly positive and not people to push it on others) and using it as a crutch (people sexually abused or unemployed or lost in the world).

Faith tends to be something where you let go of your defined perception of control and open yourself up to the idea of believing in something that can never be made true in fact. To accept that what you believe is the most proof there will ever be and to be fine with that, to appreciate that.
I had a friend, probably the smartest person I will ever know, who was very strong in their convictions to Christianity although you would never know it even spending hours around him. He said to me that he believed in the idea, in what had been told, and did not care that he couldn't prove it. He felt it was the best part of his life but it wasn't something he would push onto other people because of its intangible nature. What is the point of forcing a view onto someone who will not fully appreciate it themselves? The idea of bolstering numbers has its advantages but for someone who was in it purely for the idea, and not all the trappings that come along with it, he could not care less if he was the only one alive who believed. The more the merrier but not at the cost of a human beings defining attribute of choice. And everyone can agree that if there truly is a god than the biggest gift he gave us was the ability to choose everything that is of our world, of how we use our world, of how to exist.

RandomVince said:
No reason it can't come to ps4, Xbox 3, but DQ is usually a one system title. But its also usually an offline RPG.
The same could have been said about Final Fantasy before it was announced to be going multi for XIII...

Fredescu said:
Then all you're going to achieve is a fight.
Exactly. It's especially obtuse given that the evangelising types do it primarily because the dire importance of spreading the message is usually a core belief of theirs.

They genuinely believe that their creed fulfills them and that people without it are lost without it. They do what they do out of a sense of altruism.

I just politely ignore them or if they push, gently remind them that we live in a society wherein their values are not universally shared and that they need to respect other people's views. No need to start no shit.

Rezbit said:
Okay so for anyone who read my post regarding the flickering in some games, I have an update...insofar as I have tried heaps of things and nothing has alleviated it. The 560 ti and 21.5" Asus monitor are not cooperating it seems. I see about 3 dull pulsing lines in most games (never on the desktop, can't see it on Portal or Dawn of War II - always noticeably in FC2, Metro, Batman)
So nothing on the desktop or some games? Only in some? Seems like a very strange problem. Could you check to see how much strain the GPU is under? Maybe run low settings on FC2 and see if it happens again?
I remember vaguely having flickering problems a few years ago and I think it was to do with overheating but my memory is horrible.

Jintor

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Exactly. It's especially obtuse given that the evangelising types do it primarily because the dire importance of spreading the message is usually a core belief of theirs.

They genuinely believe that their creed fulfills them and that people without it are lost without it. They do what they do out of a sense of altruism.

I just politely ignore them or if they push, gently remind them that we live in a society wherein their values are not universally shared and that they need to respect other people's views. No need to start no shit.

I'm not saying that I immediately start disparaging their beliefs, yeah? I mean I was in an hour-long, perfectly civil conversation with some dudes a week or two ago about religion which started when they asked me to take a 'spiritual survey' which turned out to be, surprise surprise, an obtuse way of trying to explain the gospel to me. But it's at the core of my mind even while I'm being polite about it, you know? And that's difficult to stay polite with.

Rezbit

reptilescorpio said:
So nothing on the desktop or some games? Only in some? Seems like a very strange problem. Could you check to see how much strain the GPU is under? Maybe run low settings on FC2 and see if it happens again?
I remember vaguely having flickering problems a few years ago and I think it was to do with overheating but my memory is horrible.

Nothing on desktop, games like Portal don't seem to have it.

Tried FC2 on low, seems to reduce it a bit but can still see it. CPU running about 45-50 and gpu about 50-55.

BanShunsaku said:
Religion?

QxvdN.gif

This is me.

I wrote a few rambling words about my current feelings on video games on my tumblr thingo.

The only game you were playing was Oblivion? Yeah, that'd put me off video games too.

But seriously, I don't play games like i used to. There just hasn't been anything that's really grabbed my for a while. Noire was fun, but as soon as I finished it I was done. Space Marine could be cool and I'm looking forward to Dues Ex, but my Xbox is in for repairs and my PC is too old to be playing anything.

I don't miss it until I have spare time. On a lazy weekend or an RDO I often feel like vegetating in front of a good game.

Oh shit, I just saw Rez mentioned Metro, I was digging that before my Xbox died

Yagharek

Philosophically I find religion distasteful because it presupposes the answer to everything from the get-go; god did it. I find it more intellectually appealing to start off from the point of have an idea, test it, refine it. The concept of a god should be the very last one we should visit as an explanation for why stuff exists at all.

When I look at what humans knew when gods were first posited as responsible for things existing, to me its clear that they were working with limited knowledge. Now we have observations of the quantum scale all the way up to the distant galactic super cluster scale, which is a scale of both time and space beyond anything known when people started creating gods.

The natural world makes more sense from a bottom up approach, and none of it requires a god to explain why, how or when.

Dead Man

Salacious Crumb said:
Well put. Not always so easy to achieve though.

Rezbit said:
Nothing on desktop, games like Portal don't seem to have it.

Tried FC2 on low, seems to reduce it a bit but can still see it. CPU running about 45-50 and gpu about 50-55.
Hmm. Might be a random setting on your Monitor? No change with a different refresh rate? I thought that having a different rate resulted in flickering. Might need to take the problem up with whoever you bought the card from, although then it means they have to recreate the problem which might not happen in their rig. For some odd reason I think my problem went away with time. I think it was happening playing FEAR on my old 6600. I also had a problem with the bearing on my PSU making a lot of racket during summertime 3 years ago that just eventually disappeared.

FallbackPants said:
But seriously, I don't play games like i used to. There just hasn't been anything that's really grabbed my for a while. Noire was fun, but as soon as I finished it I was done. Space Marine could be cool and I'm looking forward to Dues Ex, but my Xbox is in for repairs and my PC is too old to be playing anything.
That might be the problem. Having a PC that can play all the games has made it much more fun for me between SteamChat and SteamSales. Not to mention getting de3 for $28 and Arkham City for $25 from GreenManGaming. All it has taken is a GPU upgrade every now and then as the Q6600 keeps on trucking great, 6600->9800+->460.
A huge part of PC gaming for me is being able to go back and play the classics. Ripped all the Lucas Arts games onto my hard drive and jump in every now and then with ScummVM, GOG has a great range and if I want to play some quick Rise of Nations I can with a quick click of the mouse.

Rezbit

reptilescorpio said:
Hmm. Might be a random setting on your Monitor? No change with a different refresh rate? I thought that having a different rate resulted in flickering. Might need to take the problem up with whoever you bought the card from, although then it means they have to recreate the problem which might not happen in their rig. For some odd reason I think my problem went away with time. I think it was happening playing FEAR on my old 6600. I also had a problem with the bearing on my PSU making a lot of racket during summertime 3 years ago that just eventually disappeared.

Haha, I can only hope it goes away! Twiddled with all the different monitor settings, no love. Not sure it's something that I can necessarily return, as they would need to use the same monitor and gfx card, especially seeing as I haven't been able to recreate the result with onboard graphics/different monitors. Might be I should try a big sized monitor if I go to a LAN at some point.

reptilescorpio said:
That might be the problem. Having a PC that can play all the games has made it much more fun for me between SteamChat and SteamSales. Not to mention getting de3 for $28 and Arkham City for $25 from GreenManGaming. All it has taken is a GPU upgrade every now and then as the Q6600 keeps on trucking great, 6600->9800+->460.
A huge part of PC gaming for me is being able to go back and play the classics. Ripped all the Lucas Arts games onto my hard drive and jump in every now and then with ScummVM, GOG has a great range and if I want to play some quick Rise of Nations I can with a quick click of the mouse.

I think I'm going to get a new PC soon, but really its going to be mainly for watching things. I'm sure I'll get some games going, I do miss strategy games and I still haven't played SC2, and I'd be keen for the occasional AusGAF sesh, none of my mates really play PC games anymore either,

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Rewatched the finals of Catherine. So friggin entertaining! Atlus must be working on a XBLA version right about now after all the hype from yesterday.
Fuck you. Not only did you sell me on Vanquish, but you've also sold me on DE3 and now Catherine. It looks like the sort of game I could actually competitively play.

BanShunsaku said:
Sorry if old, this has been posted in OT.... but for those running Chrome this may be the most amazing extension ever
Oh man! This! This is good!

Shaneus said:
Fuck you. Not only did you sell me on Vanquish, but you've also sold me on DE3 and now Catherine. It looks like the sort of game I could actually competitively play.
Keep in mind that it is only local MP at the moment but it is DEFINITELY worth picking up if you like puzzle games as well as can handle anime. Atlus are already making a Persona fighting game, they must see the dollar signs in this idea too!

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Keep in mind that it is only local MP at the moment but it is DEFINITELY worth picking up if you like puzzle games as well as can handle anime. Atlus are already making a Persona fighting game, they must see the dollar signs in this idea too!
I'm guessing they'll patch in online multi maybe. I just loved that it gave off a massive Lode Runner vibe, but with a fatal twist. If the SP is basically just that with some quirky anime stuff, I reckon it'll be worth buying. Not at the price it's going for ATM, though... it has yet to bomba.

Gazunta

ClivePwned said:
Today is my first day of paid employment since last year.
Gratz! Welcome back to the eternal treadmill.

Holy crap this thread moves fast in one day.

I enjoyed my first day at my new job. It is a nice office and the people seem nice.

The walls do not have cracks in it and instead of the sound of a dying air conditioner and people yelling to each other about Doctor Who and each other's sexual predilections, I listen to a waterfall and people quietly talking about work.

I got an iPhone 4 and a MacBook today. They are neat.

My bibles are How To Win Friends And Influence People by Dale Carnegie, and How To Make Webcomics by Scott Kurtz, Kris Straub, Dave Kellett and Brad Guigar. I read them constantly over and over again.

It is time to draw PRESIDOG now.

Top Bottom