• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Gazunta said:
Yeah I have to admit that someone in the office asked me who he was when I broke the news.

><

I wish I was detached and aloof enough to not be inspired by anyone. But alas, I know I am going to lose my shit the day Miyamoto dies, or Minter, or Sim, or Rignall or any number of people that have and continue to inspire me every day. Some of these people I've met, some I haven't, but they've pushed me to become a better person and have improved my life in ways they will never know.

I tell you what though, it's been a really good day for figuring out who to remove from my FB / Twitter / G+

Was making a fairly stupid statement, i of course know who he is, but in a way really wish i didn't but not knowing who he is sadly wouldn't save me from the hordes of apple-savvy worshippers.

I don't think of Steve Jobs as anything more than the guy who introduced apps and the app store to the world on a mass, ease of access scale and the man who has influenced and probably ruined windows 8.(which im a bit upset about)

I am pretty unaffected by it BUT at the same time, today has made it fairly clear that he has been an inspiration to some people which i can see and am grateful for because there are not that many people these days that go out and get things done or put their ideas forward. So i'm glad for that.

Gazunta

Omi said:
Are you removing people from various social media networks for making bad Jobs jokes? :p
Hah, nah bad jokes are great as long as they're funny. Humour is always good in times like this.

It's the 'OMG YOU ARE ALL SHEEP HE IS JUST MARKETING A GADGET WHY NOT MOURN THE PEOPLE IN CHINA WHO MADE THE PHONES AND KILLED THEMSELVES" people that can fuck right off. It's people who are desperately trying to draw attention to themselves and appear above it all.

Scott Kurtz said this was our John Lennon. I think he's pretty much right there in certain regards. Definitely not the world peace angle, but the ability to just do his own thing and build a following around it. I respect anyone who does that a lot.

Edit: I just know Wozniak and Ive's contribution is gonna be completely ignored on the news tonight :/

Fredescu

x3n05 said:
Besides, before we know it, gaming will be DD only (a number of years yet, but still).
Yeah, I think that's mostly why I don't care. I prefer the convenience of DD over physical ownership, and I'll never be able to onsell that.

MrSerrels

Gazunta said:
It's the 'OMG YOU ARE ALL SHEEP HE IS JUST MARKETING A GADGET WHY NOT MOURN THE PEOPLE IN CHINA WHO MADE THE PHONES AND KILLED THEMSELVES" people that can fuck right off. It's people who are desperately trying to draw attention to themselves and appear above it all.

Quoted for Mega Power Justice. I hate dem motherfuckers.

Yagharek

Gazunta said:
Molyneux's funeral won't live up to the hype

Sorry

They should plant a tree and when you come back in 30 years you can see how much its grown.

edit: Just on foxconn suicides - I know it's not just Apple that is made there, but why shouldn't consumers be more cautious about where their goods come from, and support moves to reduce exploitative work practices? Is it that which you resent, or the fact it's being brought up now?

Because it is still a concern, no matter how you voice it.

By the same token, look at the death penalty in usa. Some absolute scum get it, but the punishment should not exist whatsoever. It's still salient to bring light to unsavoury practices when the opportunity arises.

Choc

Banned
i'm all for free speech serrels but i am disappoint you let some real cockheads comment in the jobs story on kotaku au

:)

don't take that the wrong way though, please. :)

MrSerrels

Choc said:
i'm all for free speech serrels but i am disappoint you let some real cockheads comment in the jobs story on kotaku au

:)

don't take that the wrong way though, please. :)

I haven't even gone through it mate - been out all day. Comments auto approve. Thanks for the heads up though - I'll have a gander.

web01

So are there any teachers on AusGAF?
I have to write my selection criteria to apply for a job as I graduate this year and it is really doing my head in. Here is an example of one of the criteria:

Demonstrated knowledge of initiatives in student learning including the Standards, the Principles of Learning and Teaching P-12 and Assessment and Reporting Advice and the ability to design curriculum programs consistent with their intent.

Its not so much answering the criteria that is the problem as much working out the best way to structure it and how much detail I should go into.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Clipper

So, is it really the case that nobody is interested in Amazon's $314US 320GB Uncharted 3 PS3 bundle including shipping to Australia I mentioned earlier? It's almost better than the CotD deal in my opinion, considering it's got twice the drive space and a game included for only $115 more. All games are region free too, as are many Blu-Rays, so the importing thing isn't a problem and Slims are apparently immune to YLOD too.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Clipper said:
So, is it really the case that nobody is interested in Amazon's $314US 320GB Uncharted 3 PS3 bundle including shipping to Australia I mentioned earlier? It's almost better than the CotD deal in my opinion, considering it's got twice the drive space and a game included for only $115 more. All games are region free too, as are many Blu-Rays, so the importing thing isn't a problem and Slims are apparently immune to YLOD too.

I would be interested if it was 7 days ago when I got paid..

i'm already 1/3 gone with rent yet to be paid ;_;

Tntnnbltn

web01 said:
So are there any teachers on AusGAF?
I have to write my selection criteria to apply for a job as I graduate this year and it is really doing my head in. Here is an example of one of the criteria:

Demonstrated knowledge of initiatives in student learning including the Standards, the Principles of Learning and Teaching P-12 and Assessment and Reporting Advice and the ability to design curriculum programs consistent with their intent.

Its not so much answering the criteria that is the problem as much working out the best way to structure it and how much detail I should go into.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I did all this 12 months ago, but I can't remember what I said. :/

WA's criteria was:
· Ability to provide purposeful and relevant learning experiences that cater for different student learning needs as outlined in the Curriculum Framework;
· Ability to use a range of assessment and reporting methods that show student achievement in relation to learning outcomes;
· Commitment to plan and engage in professional learning activities that support school and systemic priorities;
· High-level support and participation in team planning for curriculum policy and programs;
· Collaboration with members of the school community building a team environment that supports student learning.

How many words? How structured is the question? Are you being asked to address each point specifically or is it more of a general 'you need to cover this bunch of criteria somewhere in your words'?

Clipper

HolyCheck said:
I would be interested if it was 7 days ago when I got paid..

i'm already 1/3 gone with rent yet to be paid ;_;
It doesn't ship until November, so there's time for your next pay day :p.

HolyCheck

Clipper said:
It doesn't ship until November, so there's time for your next pay day :p.

ooo :D

"It is not possible to add a myki pass at this time as you have exceeded the maximum number of passes allowed on your myki at the same time."

I ONLY HAVE ONE PASS ON THERE, SO YOU'R ETELLING ME I CANT PUT A 2ND ONE ON THERE UNTIL AFTER THIS ONE EXPIRES THUS I HAVE TO PAY FOR EXPENSIVE TICKETS EACH DAYS WITH COINS BECAUSE YOUR DRIVERS ARE HEARTLESS WHO DONT CARRY CHANGE FOR THE WEEK IT TAKES FOR IT TO BE ADDED TO MY CARD?

GO AWAY

Kerrby

Banned
HolyCheck said:
ooo :D

"It is not possible to add a myki pass at this time as you have exceeded the maximum number of passes allowed on your myki at the same time."

I ONLY HAVE ONE PASS ON THERE, SO YOU'R ETELLING ME I CANT PUT A 2ND ONE ON THERE UNTIL AFTER THIS ONE EXPIRES THUS I HAVE TO PAY FOR EXPENSIVE TICKETS EACH DAYS WITH COINS BECAUSE YOUR DRIVERS ARE HEARTLESS WHO DONT CARRY CHANGE FOR THE WEEK IT TAKES FOR IT TO BE ADDED TO MY CARD?

GO AWAY

It could be worse, my mate put $100 on Myki and it said it didn't go on his Myki card. Then he called up Myki asking what to do and they said there's nothing they can do so he just carried around his receipt for months in case he got caught.

web01

Tntnnbltn said:
I did all this 12 months ago, but I can't remember what I said. :/

How many words? How structured is the question? Are you being asked to address each point specifically or is it more of a general 'you need to cover this bunch of criteria somewhere in your words'?

The Victorian criteria for graduates teachers is:

SC1 Demonstrated knowledge of initiatives in student learning including the Standards, the Principles of Learning and Teaching P-12 and Assessment and Reporting Advice and the ability to design curriculum programs consistent with their intent.

SC2 Demonstrate an understanding of how students learn and effective classroom teaching strategies and the capacity to work with colleagues to continually improve teaching and learning.

SC3 Capacity to monitor and assess student learning data and to use this data to inform teaching for improved student learning.

SC4 Demonstrated high level written and verbal communication skills and high level interpersonal skills including a capacity to develop constructive relationships with students, parents and other staff.

SC5 Demonstrated commitment and capacity to actively contribute to a broad range of school activities and a capacity to reflect on, evaluate and improve professional knowledge and practice

My understanding is you have to specifically address each criterion on its own but apart from that there are no other guidelines as to how much you should write or how it should be structured which is a little bit frustrating.

CIDER SEASON

Family are away for the night so I picked up a Schnitz pack and 4 Bulmers. Going to power through LA Noire and smash out some cider. Screw work tomorrow.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Holy you can have two passes on there.

Log into your account and see if it's actually lists a second and if itdoes, it probably expires in something like 2014. That would be a phantom pass, it's an error in the system that still hasnt been fixed. Happened to me a month or two ago. I just put in a complaint on the online form saying I think there's a false 2nd pass, remove that shit. They did within a few days.

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
CIDER SEASON

Family are away for the night so I picked up a Schnitz pack and 4 Bulmers. Going to power through LA Noire and smash out some cider. Screw work tomorrow.
man. i feel like some now. i hate you.

Tntnnbltn

web01 said:
My understanding is you have to specifically address each criterion on its own but apart from that there are no other guidelines as to how much you should write or how it should be structured which is a little bit frustrating.
Are you still in contact with a school from prac?

My supervising teacher was the head of department. He was actually in the middle of interviewing applicants for a role at the school when I was there, so I asked him for clarification on what the WA criteria meant and how I could demonstrate those. I remember that being really useful.

In the end though, for me it all came down to the cover letter which I sent you, and then a personal interview. On the two hour trip to the interview I had some sheets of paper and I was jotting down dot points for each of the criteria so I could bring up examples in the interview when needed. And that was it -- I got hired after the very first one.

HolyCheck

evlcookie said:
Holy you can have two passes on there.

Log into your account and see if it's actually lists a second and if itdoes, it probably expires in something like 2014. That would be a phantom pass, it's an error in the system that still hasnt been fixed. Happened to me a month or two ago. I just put in a complaint on the online form saying I think there's a false 2nd pass, remove that shit. They did within a few days.
why shoild i fix their error. i'll just put a 2nd one on when mine expires and ill print screen the phantom one and my inability to put on a2nd one due to their fault :D

web01

Tntnnbltn said:
Are you still in contact with a school from prac?

My supervising teacher was the head of department. He was actually in the middle of interviewing applicants for a role at the school when I was there, so I asked him for clarification on what the WA criteria meant and how I could demonstrate those. I remember that being really useful.

In the end though, for me it all came down to the cover letter which I sent you, and then a personal interview. On the two hour trip to the interview I had some sheets of paper and I was jotting down dot points for each of the criteria so I could bring up examples in the interview when needed. And that was it -- I got hired after the very first one.

Yeah I can speak to my last mentor teacher once school holidays is over which would actually be good idea. And thanks for sending your cover letter through that will help when I have to write mine on top of the selection criteria responses.

JOBS DIED? Shit I had no idea his health problems were so bad. :( I hate Apple but love the dude. Absolute legend. One of my dream jobs would have been Head of Marketing so I could hang out and absorb his brilliance every day. Dude was up there with Shiggy, Gates and Carmack as people I admired from a marketing standpoint.

Sister-in-law had a beautiful baby girl 3 weeks early today. Such a peaceful little thing. The contrast between this hospital visit and the one a little over a year ago was disturbing. Apparently she slid straight out in less than an hour from the water breaking, only 5 minutes after getting into a bed at the hospital. The gf was not pleased at that news.

Rezbit

I'm officially "used to be a teacher." Luckily didn't really have to go through much of that stuff when I got hired. Bailed out of the profession and heading BACK TO UNI WOO!

Deeku

guidop said:
Just for reference what was the cheapest price for Dark Souls?
Bought my LE at JB for 89. They have plenty.

Woo, got through the tutorial bit of Dark Souls unscathed. It's Demon's Souls 2 alright!

But I think I'll spend the next few weeks not playing and finishing my 4 assignments instead.

Game looks gorgeous too!

Agyar

commanderdeek said:
Bought my LE at JB for 89. They have plenty.

Woo, got through the tutorial bit of Dark Souls unscathed. It's Demon's Souls 2 alright!

But I think I'll spend the next few weeks not playing and finishing my 4 assignments instead.

Game looks gorgeous too!

Have the graphics changed at all since Demon's Souls? From the videos I've seen, it looks almost exactly the same (and not just in the graphics either).

Bernbaum

Saw that Dick Smith had the God of War HD collection part 2 for $50 and was hoping their price for ICO/SotC would be the same but they didn't have it on shelves.

Kerrby

Banned
Rezbit said:
I'm officially "used to be a teacher." Luckily didn't really have to go through much of that stuff when I got hired. Bailed out of the profession and heading BACK TO UNI WOO!

More like bailed so they didn't have to do a background check right?

Deeku

Agyar said:
Have the graphics changed at all since Demon's Souls? From the videos I've seen, it looks almost exactly the same (and not just in the graphics either).
Having only played the tutorial, the game does seem very familiar, but with more detail. I felt that there was more weight to my guy in terms of movement - he seemed a tiny bit sluggish for a guy wielding a dexterity weapon or maybe I'm just dreaming. Frame rate is a bit messy, especially when you go for the backstabs so hopefully that gets cleaned up with a patch or something.

I've played less than an hour, but everything felt instantly familiar, which is good or bad depending on how you felt about Demon's Souls. I have a feeling it's a lot bigger and open though, because there doesn't seem to be a Nexus like hub. (Maybe there is but I don't know).

Might squeeze in a bit of play during the weekend and see what the early levels are like.

Edit:

The movie intro was pretty awesome!

Bernbaum

It's not in the best of taste, but this tweet was the only one to make light of the situation and get a laugh out of me today:

2v35tsn.png

Yagharek

Because the tweet above is in bad taste.

edit: no, I'll post. The Endor party comparison is to suggest that microsoft is like an evil empire, but in principle apple make more "closed" operating systems than does windows.

So in that sense, microsoft is nothing at all like an imposing Emperor and apple is.

So it's not in bad taste, is not an attack on any person so to speak, but it will no doubt lead to misunderstandings by people anyway.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
JOBS DIED? Shit I had no idea his health problems were so bad. :( I hate Apple but love the dude. Absolute legend. One of my dream jobs would have been Head of Marketing so I could hang out and absorb his brilliance every day. Dude was up there with Shiggy, Gates and Carmack as people I admired from a marketing standpoint.
For a second there I thought you said "Shaggy". Damnit.

Sister-in-law had a beautiful baby girl 3 weeks early today. Such a peaceful little thing. The contrast between this hospital visit and the one a little over a year ago was disturbing. Apparently she slid straight out in less than an hour from the water breaking, only 5 minutes after getting into a bed at the hospital. The gf was not pleased at that news.
My sister was a little like that with her first and second. Mitchell took a little while to come out but his little brother was quick as a whip.

Have I posted this picture of my youngest nephew before? Probably. Don't care. In fact, it can serve as a reminder that even though great people will inevitably pass on, new generations can and will continue and follow in their footsteps:
rJGMO.jpg

Clipper said:

I'm very interested, I just have no monays.

Shaneus said:
For a second there I thought you said "Shaggy". Damnit.

Me too lul

Maybe, but Ballmer is also personally very unpopular with the staff within Microsoft and seen as ruining the company.

Also- how often do people ever mourn a CEO?

Bought Rage today but didn't get to play because I really wasn't in the mood. HN were out so I shelled out $79 at Kmart rather than dick around any more.

Jintor

Marshmellow said:
Was making a fairly stupid statement, i of course know who he is, but in a way really wish i didn't but not knowing who he is sadly wouldn't save me from the hordes of apple-savvy worshippers.

I don't think of Steve Jobs as anything more than the guy who introduced apps and the app store to the world on a mass, ease of access scale and the man who has influenced and probably ruined windows 8.(which im a bit upset about)

I am pretty unaffected by it BUT at the same time, today has made it fairly clear that he has been an inspiration to some people which i can see and am grateful for because there are not that many people these days that go out and get things done or put their ideas forward. So i'm glad for that.

He did a lot of really cool computer stuff in the 90s.

He also grifted money off Steve Wozniak for making Breakout on PC or something.

guidop

The Slap should be interesting it looks very good, anyone else panning on watching it?

it is on abc 1 at 8:30 I think

Yagharek

guidop said:
The Slap should be interesting it looks very good, anyone else panning on watching it?

it is on abc 1 at 8:30 I think

I cant wait til its over so they stop playing that godawful advert every half hour. Its more annoying than the coles ads.

Top Bottom