• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

reptilescorpio said:
Wow, that is a metric fucktonne of skins. Being able to purchase them individually is good, too. Purchasing skins, though... eh. 240 Allards?

I don't begrudge anyone for buying this stuff, it's just that I don't get it.

Agyar said:
I bought the pink skins, because they're gangsta.
A question for you, my fine sir: do you really get to see your skin that much? Or is this something that you primarily purchased for other people to see?

hamchan said:
Heh, I was worried I was going to have no bandwidth left to download Batman on PC this month, then I remembered it comes out next month. :D :D

:(
Either you are about to get a really awesome surprise in 2 weeks or this is saying that the PC released has been delayed.

Seriously? Man, that's shitty.

Master Race, Ho!

Jintor said:
I'm already preemptively dreading/am excited for having to replay Arkham City when I buy it for myself next month
Right now, I don't know if I hate you or hate you.

I'll leaning more towards hating you.

Jintor said:
It's the toughest!

How will I find time to watch all this unreleased anime?
Something that hasn't been released shouldn't take up too much time to watch, surely... Right?

TBD aren't getting their copies of the Dark Souls guide until between Saturday-Monday, this information comes from the Future Press Facebook page.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
15 for crysis 2? Neat. I might pick it up for that and I noticed the gmg tweet on bf3. Hopefully there's a coupon as rahk mentioned. Then I will grab it.

Ew, something is up with GMG.

If you click on the EA promo thing it brings up a list of EA games on sale, BF3 is listed there for $40, but if you add it to your cart is shows up as $50 at checkout.

Crysis 2 does the same thing, end up as $20. :(

It looks like it is something to do with prices being listed in pounds and then converted back.

They need to fix that shit, Crysis 2 is listed as $15, comes up as 13 pounds on product page and then comes to $20 at checkout.

legend166

reptilescorpio said:
It worked fine in the past because development costs were much, MUCH lower than these days so if a game did not live up to expectations they weren't out a few million dollars. A bomba these days means a publisher will stop taking your calls and you will be forced into making less positive business decisions just to try and keep the wolves out the door.
The concept that developers purposely cut content to create extra money is extremely hard to make a blanket statement on. You see stuff like bonus costumes/colours that in the past would have been released for free, or map packs which the PC community (which I assume you have a history in considering you bought up the packs) have always been nasty about. Map packs are a sign of the times.
In the past publishers released them for free on the PC in order to keep people focused on their title rather than jump over to a competitor, while these days almost every title has a MP mode with a select few holding the majority of the market share creating a very profitable market for pay-for map packs (as shown by the insane amount of money made from COD map packs). Since most of these titles are on 12-24 month cycles with incredibly high production and marketing budgets, along with increasingly expensive overheads utilised to make the MP experience better than the last, publishers can see map packs of a way to make the initial investment (and continuous improvement) worthwhile. Without paid map packs I wouldn't be surprised to see an even more cutdown initial release.

Used game sales is a cancer on developers and is a part of why they are dying lately. Games can be gotten for much cheaper than in the past and the prices have not increased along with inflation anywhere near as bad as other commodity's. Used games means consumers can effectively rent games rather than pay full price for them. Imagine if multi million dollar productions suddenly slash their prices from the $100RRP to $15 like a movie? I agree that there are WAY too many middle men in the process, pushing up the price for consumers, but the retail used game market actively promotes not handing a cent back to developers making it even harder for them to negotiate budgets with publishers. If Deus Ex sells 800k copies but 3 million people play it that doesn't mean it will break even or get a sequel. Publishers have been trying to get these 2 figures closer together for years, Project $10/PSN Pass and MP modes are just the latest ideas for trying to make the markets practical to co-exist.
I don't have anything bad to say about PSN Pass other than the obvious, that in 10 years I won't have access to that content. Which I won't anyway since the servers will be long gone and all the patches with them. Aside from PC games and closed consoles this will be a problem for the connected generations.

Piracy isn't an issue that I put much weight behind as I would argue that AT LEAST 50% of pirated downloads are by people who never would have bought the game in the first place, otherwise they would have found some other way to invest some money in the product such as import or rent the title. Those who don't want to pay will still pirate regardless of how hard you make it. When piracy measures hinder the experience of the paying customer is when publishers lose face very quickly. If I buy this game with the impression it will work it better damn well work. Sure, this generation has been irritating with so many day one bugs (some never even getting attention) but games have ALWAYS released with bugs. The worst thing is for a perfectly designed game to be withheld from you by something introduced to stop people who won't even have the version of the game you hold. Similar to that feeling of annoyance at the start of a DVD when it takes 5 minutes to get past all the bullshit that you have already complied with, that you paid good, hard earned money to sit there and be told not to be a dirty, cuntish pirate when you obviously haven't. Because the pirates ripped that bullshit out already. The pirates never see the systems put in place to stop them, that is the entire idea of pirating. Once publishers learn that people will buy a game if you market it DIRECTLY to them, rather than trying to gain mass acceptance as well as budget not just their productions, but also their expectations, they will find projects to be much more acceptable.
Another point of discussion is the high cost of entry to the market that comes from middleware and source holders but that is a discussion for another day. I would love to see costs come down a lot though.

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is a load of crap.

legend166 said:
I'm gonna go ahead and say this is a load of crap.
Any particular part? Would you care to turn this into an actual discussion or are you just fine with saying it's crap and resting you argument there?

Sure, it's a fine point you make, but others may not see it that way...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
BanShunsaku said:
Ew, something is up with GMG.

If you click on the EA promo thing it brings up a list of EA games on sale, BF3 is listed there for $40, but if you add it to your cart is shows up as $50 at checkout.

Crysis 2 does the same thing, end up as $20. :(

It looks like it is something to do with prices being listed in pounds and then converted back.

They need to fix that shit, Crysis 2 is listed as $15, comes up as 13 pounds on product page and then comes to $20 at checkout.

It seems correct. It's just converting it from pounds to USD. $12.78p is $19.88USD which is what it comes up as in the checkout.

midonnay

has woz ever commented about being swindled the bonus money?

a couple thousand dollars was alot back then... he could probably have invented something amazing

evlcookie said:
It seems correct. It's just converting it from pounds to USD. $12.78p is $19.88USD which is what it comes up as in the checkout.

Yeh I know that conversion is correct, but:

R4E0y.jpg

evlcookie said:
Pretty sure you can email them and ask them to change your region so you can pay in US dollars too. Some sort of geoip thing.

midonnay

gaf am cry. Putin isn't a superhero...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-07/putin-action-stunt-questioned/3336942

A spokesman for Vladimir Putin has admitted one of the Russian prime minister's latest action man stunts was in fact a set-up.

Dmitry Peskov told the Dozhd online television channel late Tuesday that the soon-to-be Russian president's discovery of an ancient amphorae in the Black Sea while scuba diving in August was staged.

"Putin didn't find down there jugs that had lain there for many thousands of years. It's obvious," Mr Peskov said.

"Of course, they were found in the course of an expedition several weeks or days earlier.

"Of course, they were left there or placed there. It's completely normal. There's no reason to gloat about this and everything else.

For those interested in the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

bgr.com said:
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
9mm thin
4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD with curved glass
TI OMAP 4460 dual-core Cortex A9 processor clocked at 1.2GHz
1GB of RAM
32GB of built-in storage
5-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front
1080p HD video capture support
LTE/HSPA depending on carrier
Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
NFC
1,750 mAh battery
http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/06/samsung-galaxy-nexus-full-specs-revealed-verizon-wireless-exclusive/

Choc

Banned
I reckon that the reason why the media has not gone bananas over the 4S was that Jobs did not present it

Cook did not have the 'best thing ever' ego and presentation style. It felt like watching a boring HP and Micrsoft keynote

If Apple can't recapture that charismatic presentation style that makes Apple press invites the hottest tickets in tech (for press conferences), they could be in trouble. It was those keynotes that made people generally rush out on the day and buy the thing or a few days later. Steve made them excited, Cook does not.

Gazunta

Games publications who are answering their phones now: you are awesome.
Games publications who are NOT answering their phones: you suck

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:
Games publications who are answering their phones now: you are awesome.
Games publications who are NOT answering their phones: you suck

why you calling them

some of them are playing BF3 Single Player my friend ;)

Ydahs

Funny how I spent five or six hours trying to debug a programming assignment last night with no result, yet I managed to find the solution in a little under an hour this morning.

It was actually due last night and I had given up, but thankfully our lecturer extended the deadline to this arvo.

Gazunta said:
Calling them to to let them know about the upcoming PRESIDOG point and click adventure game, it's gonna be awesome

every action you make the voice of Dave Foley says OH PRESIDOG

OH YES

I'd buy that, even with an online pass.

Ydahs said:
Funny how I spent five or six hours trying to debug a programming assignment last night with no result, yet I managed to find the solution in a little under an hour this morning.
If you're going into a living where you'll do a lot of programming... Get used to that.

Gazunta

Markot, I'm excited because it means I have an iView device that connects to my TV.

Heaps better than watching on an iPad with headphones.

markot said:
Pay for content thats free? WHERE DO I SIGN UPPPPP?!
Apparently you don't need a gold subscription for BBC, so I imagine iView and SBS will also be the same. Just the premium ones you need a gold subscription.

Omi said:
Understatement of the week at least.

Morning shower revelations are amazing.....
I'd say toilet revelations are great too, but it just sounds odd...

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
Apparently you don't need a gold subscription for BBC, so I imagine iView and SBS will also be the same. Just the premium ones you need a gold subscription.

That's because its illegal for a company to make money off rebroadcasting BBC communications. It's against the UK law which allows the BBC to be public funded.

I believe ABC is the same but SBS is a half commercial channel. You may need gold for that

Kritz

Banned
JAMBO / BANANA

MINECRAFT 1.9 BETA PRERELEASE VERSION 3 IS OUT

OMG

:( need to go to uni for a while but

SOON

this is my best post all week

Clipper

They are really putting iView and stuff on the 360 behind the XBL Gold pay gate? iView has been on PS3 for free for years now, along with Plus 7 or whatever that service is. I wouldn't be surprised if SBS On Demand works in the browser too, I'll have to check that when I get home.

Oh wait, thought the pay thing was confirmed... Surely that part of it must have been announced somewhere?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Kritz said:
JAMBO / BANANA

OMG

SOON

Maybe this time it will be easy and straight forward and you wont all awkwardly bash me on mumble when i'm in the channel ;_;

jambo

Kritz said:
JAMBO / BANANA

OMG

SOON

Played a little bit earlier, the potion stuff looks pretty cool and there are some interesting new blocks.

Also, BABY ANIMALS

tZC5k.png

=D

Kritz

Banned
HolyCheck said:
Maybe this time it will be easy and straight forward and you wont all awkwardly bash me on mumble when i'm in the channel ;_;

I didn't, it was jambo!

Steps to do this shit:
Download http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre3/minecraft.jar
Stick it in %appdata%\.minecraft\bin and overwrite the old one
Run minecraft.exe. Minecraft.exe is not minecraft.jar. It's the thing with the grass block.
Join server / single player.

Top Bottom