• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Jintor

RandomVince said:
No, I mean it doesnt stop the DS library from existing. It's a tangential point at best. :p

Yeah, but you were talking about the 3DS and comparing it to the DS early-term. It's not an accurate comparison anymore.

jambo said:
i-GgW57X4-L.jpg

Mike and Jerry aren't always entirely on the nose.

Yagharek

Jintor said:
Yeah, but you were talking about the 3DS and comparing it to the DS early-term. It's not an accurate comparison anymore.

Mike and Jerry aren't always entirely on the nose.

That comic reads two ways though. I reckon you could go through 40 phone games before finding one that has as much longevity as anything worth $40 on DS (ie the premium price games, mostly 1st party).

Plus, Chrono Trigger. :p

and buttons

hamchan

Biggest tell for the 3DS will be Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. If those fail to give the 3DS a big boost in sales and development support then yeah, I'll admit the 3DS is fucked.

Card Boy

Banned
Shaneus said:
I'd go to CDKeysHere. Only one I've used and I've never seen them have a bad rap.

The thing that bugs me is i don't know the legit guys from the dodgy grey market russian cdkey seller guys.

All these websites have a similar name its confusing.

elfinke

RandomVince said:
No, I mean it doesnt stop the DS library from existing. It's a tangential point at best. :p

Indeed, and that's a fair point.

I have had a DS since forever (Blue/Black version, work perk), and aside from playing Layton (which I fucking loved) and Scribblenauts on it, it's never been used. Couldn't get into Mario Kart on it, and didn't like normal Mario.

I simply have not devoted the time to it that it probably deserved. That and my hands cramp up after using it. Portable gaming just isn't my thing :(

hamchan

Gez said:
The thing that bugs me is i don't know the legit guys from the dodgy grey market russian cdkey seller guys.

Aren't all of them selling cheap Russian cdkeys?

jambo

RandomVince said:
That comic reads two ways though. I reckon you could go through 40 phone games before finding one that has as much longevity as anything worth $40 on DS (ie the premium price games, mostly 1st party).

And at the same time, if you buy a $1 game on the iPhone and it sucks it's no where near as bad as buying a $50 game on the 3DS and it sucking.

Who cares about $1?!

Card Boy

Banned
Shaneus said:
I'd go to CDKeysHere. Only one I've used and I've never seen them have a bad rap.

On futher analysis it seems like CDkeysHere and Cdkeysdirect are the same website down to the same layout, prices and number of games.

Fusebox said:
Woah, dem names... did you go to school in New Orleans?
Nope, just rural north-west Victoria.

Gez said:
It begins....

A user on one of Australias biggest bargain websites just posted the 20000 Dirt 3 keys from that AMD leak.

Tsk tsk tsk tsk.
Indeed. I was shocked it wasn't taken down straight away as there a plenty of sources online saying people who use the codes will get their account banned. Plus it is stealing.

hamchan said:
Biggest tell for the 3DS will be Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. If those fail to give the 3DS a big boost in sales and development support then yeah, I'll admit the 3DS is fucked.
Deja vu. The Nintendo Cycle.

Gez said:

Yeah that is what makes me a bit more willing to use GMG as they have great customer service to go along with the great CD Key prices. Plus it looks pretty!

Jintor

Hah, I'm using my 3DS time to catch up on the DS's amazing library. As I've mentioned before, I picked up Radiant Historia, The World Ends with You, Monster Tale and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (or whatever the Eu release is called), and I'm sure there's a bunch more games I need to legit buy.

I got a fucktonne of mileage out of the ol' DS.

And at the same time, if you buy a $1 game on the iPhone and it sucks it's no where near as bad as buying a $50 game on the 3DS and it sucking.

Who cares about $1?!

But the liklihood of all 50 games sucking is pretty damn high on the iPhone, while the 3DS should (theoretically) have a higher benchmark of quality. Of course that's not actually true, but the sooner Nintendo recognise they have to enforce price tiering based on quality and production value, the better off everyone will be.

Card Boy

Banned
Choc said:
gamersgate isnt

when i was in media i had a press account, they are very much legit

I know gamersgate is legit, as they are a DD service like Steam/D2D, instead of a cdkey seller website.

hamchan said:
Aren't all of them selling cheap Russian cdkeys?

It seems this one might be Turkish.

Choc said:
gamersgate isnt
when i was in media i had a press account, they are very much legit
Gamersgate, D2D, Impulse, Origin and Steam can all be lumped into the more organised DD sellers whereas the CD Key sellers look to buy cheap and give you the code rather than get them direct from the Publisher. GMG go direct to publisher too.

Yagharek

hamchan said:

Well yes, those two games sure as shit better ignite the sales or there is trouble for 3rd party support. But that said, DS was in trouble until Nintendogs lit a fire under the market's arse. What's to say another breakout game might not happen on any platform.

elfinke said:
Indeed, and that's a fair point.

I have had a DS since forever (Blue/Black version, work perk), and aside from playing Layton (which I fucking loved) and Scribblenauts on it, it's never been used. Couldn't get into Mario Kart on it, and didn't like normal Mario.

I simply have not devoted the time to it that it probably deserved. That and my hands cramp up after using it. Portable gaming just isn't my thing :(

That's fair enough.

The platform has its benefits from supporting a number of play styles but if you cant hold it without cramping then you're not going to get anything much out of it as a main system to carry around.

Personally, so far as phone games go, Ive yet to find any that are even remotely interesting. One dot enemies, katamari, pac man ce2, some ww2 flying game, infinity blade, ilomilo, geodefense and a few others I forget the name of. All of them just control poorly, even something thats a simple touch screen tower defence game (geodefense).
It's a platform I have no interest in or enthusiasm for.

As far as Im concerned, smartphones are for portable web browsing and checking footy scores when out and about.

Yagharek

jambo said:

Who cares about $1?!

You can return a bad $50 DS game for a refund.

You can't return 50 bad $1 iOS games for refunds.

Jintor

The thing is, my number one favoured games to play on portable platforms are either tactical strategy, RPGs, or visual novels, and none of those could survive on a .99c pricing scheme. No way in hell. Ports from products that already earned their money back on other platforms don't count.

elfinke

RandomVince said:
Personally, so far as phone games go, Ive yet to find any that are even remotely interesting. One dot enemies, katamari, pac man ce2, some ww2 flying game, infinity blade, ilomilo, geodefense and a few others I forget the name of. All of them just control poorly, even something thats a simple touch screen tower defence game (geodefense).
It's a platform I have no interest in or enthusiasm for.

Yeah I'm much the same. I've got a few MB worth of games on my iPhone, all bought for measly dollars, but very few of them count for actual experiences beyond the day or week that I bought them. The ones that do, can trace their heritage pretty predictably too - Infinity Blade/Plants vs Zombies/Dungeon Raid/GeoDef etc.

RandomVince said:
As far as Im concerned, smartphones are for portable web browsing and checking footy scores when out and about.

Yup, this type of use is far and away my favourite thing about mobile phones of 2011 too! 'tis the bees knees.

Ydahs

Oh boy, Xenoblade is amazing. Two hours in and I already know it's something special.

If you have a Wii, buy Xenoblade.

Rahk

Guess I'll get Space Marine on GamersGate to support the devs at a price that isn't gouging me nor them.

Jintor

Ydahs said:
Oh boy, Xenoblade is amazing. Two hours in and I already know it's something special.

I have Xenoblade, it's getting me to start it that's going to be the problem

I've gotten it into my head that I want to play on Dolphin and that's going to involve me finding enough free time to figure out how to use Dolphin, rip the thing to my Wii and transfer it to my computer, and then probably I'll upgrade my system before I even do that for the hell of it

why do I make things so pointlessly complicated

jambo

I've hardly touched my 3DS over the past few weeks. I downloaded the free Ambassador games so I'm sure that will changed, but I've been addicted to Drop7 on my iPhone for about 6 months now. Amazing game!

RandomVince said:
You can return a bad $50 DS game for a refund.

Within 7 days and not at all at some stores.

elfinke

Jintor said:
I have Xenoblade, it's getting me to start it that's going to be the problem

I've gotten it into my head that I want to play on Dolphin and that's going to involve me finding enough free time to figure out how to use Dolphin, rip the thing to my Wii and transfer it to my computer, and then probably I'll upgrade my system before I even do that for the hell of it

why do I make things so pointlessly complicated

Holy shit, that's the same thing I did. I bought it, played the first 20 mins, then set it aside pending my PC upgrade to enjoy it on Dolphin and not have to share the TV.

That was a week ago or so, and now I'm not sure I'll get around to it >>

I suck at being a gamer at the moment.

Yagharek

Ydahs said:

I just hope The Last Story and Pandora's Tower are just as much worth waiting for next year.

jambo said:
Within 7 days and not at all at some stores.

In which case you can still sell it on or trade it in. No such option exists for smartphone games.

If you're spending $50 blind though, why would you buy at someplace that doesnt let you try before buying?

Jintor

Well I'm still playing Driver: San Francisco, Bastion, and Radiant Historia at the same time and I wrapped up Human Revolution less than a week ago, so I can't be a 'bad gamer' as such :p

Bernbaum said:
I'm in Sydney!

Now I just have to survive the next 12 hours without getting stabbed by teenagers.

Pre-emptive strike is called for. Just attack the first teen you see and the rest will leave you alone.

Why can't I pre-order Bloodrayne on the PSN? The other 3 games are there. Hmm.

Choc said:
Come on Choc! That GT5 CE was sold out yesterday! Also wish I could have gotten in on that $10 Ratchet. Picked up Move Heroes for $17 last week at least.

Rahk said:
Guess I'll get Space Marine on GamersGate to support the devs at a price that isn't gouging me nor them.
I wish I could just buy the damn thing direct from the Developers. Cut out all the middle men who take so many cuts of the RRP that the people who actually made the damn thing get like 3%.

Kritz said:
Yeeeeeey my parents are getting divorced! :/
Sorry dude. Hope things remain civil and they can at least keep communication lines open. My Uncle has been divorced twice and it skewed how I look at marriage. At this point though with a child it really doesn't matter whether I am married or not to my partner, financially she will be linked to me for quite some time, so I don't mind getting married.

markot

Banned
Bargains!

Kirby's Epic Yarn? $30! http://gifts.myer.com.au/au_kirbys-epic-yarn-wii-online-special_d_11249.aspx

Wario Shake Dimension? $30! http://gifts.myer.com.au/au_nintend...he-shake-dimension-online-special_d_1832.aspx

Mario and Luigi, Bowsers inside story? $29.95! http://gifts.myer.com.au/au_mario-luigi-bowsers-inside-story-ds-online-special_d_15998.aspx

Also they have Donkey Kong and SMG2 for 50 each.

Pretty good deals imo!

Also, steel diver is 20, worth it >.>? http://gifts.myer.com.au/au_steel-diver-3ds_d_15604.aspx

markot

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Those are bargains for console games? Steam has spoiled me :p
Yeah, but how many of those steam bargains do you actually play >.>? (I got tonnes of games on steam ill never touch in reality.....)

Kritz

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Sorry dude. Hope things remain civil and they can at least keep communication lines open. My Uncle has been divorced twice and it skewed how I look at marriage. At this point though with a child it really doesn't matter whether I am married or not to my partner, financially she will be linked to me for quite some time, so I don't mind getting married.
It's Tasmania, man. Nowhere to run off to.

I dunno how it'll turn out. Mother's buying a house up in Brighton, we're selling our current house and businesses... No idea where my father will end up but I'll have to stick with him because uni. Also my father's parents have both passed away so he doesnt have any other close relatives in Tas.

I'd love to take this opportunity to get my own apartment or something, but font have the money to do so. Have 13 grand in the bank, but no income.

Will probably have to find a job. Don't think my dad makes enough to pay bills + living for us both. No idea what'll happen with my sister, either.

Fun times ahead.

Kritz said:
It's Tasmania, man. Nowhere to run off to.

I dunno how it'll turn out. Mother's buying a house up in Brighton, we're selling our current house and businesses... No idea where my father will end up but I'll have to stick with him because uni. Also my father's parents have both passed away so he doesnt have any other close relatives in Tas.

I'd love to take this opportunity to get my own apartment or something, but font have the money to do so. Have 13 grand in the bank, but no income.

Will probably have to find a job. Don't think my dad makes enough to pay bills + living for us both. No idea what'll happen with my sister, either.

Fun times ahead.
You will find a way to make things work mate. Even take a part time job and take up some Centrelink payment since you are at uni so you can sustain yourself in a house with some other uni students. Take the opportunity to branch out a bit and give your parents some space while still coming back around for dinner and to get your clothes washed. Who knows, maybe everyone will end up happier in the end.

Echoplx

markot said:
Yeah, but how many of those steam bargains do you actually play >.>? (I got tonnes of games on steam ill never touch in reality.....)
I play as many as I can, thing is I'm always more 'hyped' for new releases so I end up playing them instead :p
reptilescorpio said:
At least retail games you can sell off once you are done with it to recoup a bit of the cost.
That's true, personally I don't like trading games anyway, always like to hang on to them.

Top Bottom