• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Yagharek

There's a great potential for an in depth philosophical debate on that threads news bit. But gaf is not the place it will happen.

Someone mentioned proto humans. That in itself is a fascinating concept for a thought experiment. At the moment, human society is way too hung up on anything even remotely related to sexuality or gender. It seems to inspire an irrational overreaction in most people.

Dead Man

Clipper said:
We probably shouldn't keep reposting the line that got markot banned... I mean, the irony that banning someone for making a comment actually causes that comment to be posted even more is fun in a way, but it really should stop. Links to the offending post seem much more considerate of people that the comment would offend.
But how will they know they might be offended if they don't know what it is? Catch 22?

Shaneus

Planet_JASE said:
Question for all shrewd AusGAF shoppers: Where is the best place from which to buy in-ear headphones? Haven't had to buy a pair in mega years so I have no idea. Amazon taunts me with "We can't deliver to your address" crap even though I want to give them monies.

I remember people recommending Sennheisers the last time someone asked. I think I remember the number 300 or 400 in the model number? Any other recommendations?

Help me, you fine folks. Please?
If you want to spend around the $50-$100 mark, the best in-ear plugs to get are probably the Senny MX-300 (if you have a player you can wind down bottom-end on as these are a bit bass heavy). Once you do that, buy these (not from there though, cheaper on eBay) and you'll be happy for a long time. Probably not the best sound you'll get for that price (maybe) but you can get them at any JB and they're actually decent. If you want iPhone compatibility, there's one of those with an in-line remote (and full iPhone controls, just like the white Apple ones) whose model escapes me (but it's around the same price).

Hope this helps, o Jase my Jase.

Clipper

Fredescu said:
That's not ironic at all. Only the original post has any intent behind it. Anything in quotes is just what some other guy said.

I quoted it from memory out of laziness, mostly because I don't see the difference.
It is ironic. The act of the ban was to stop stuff like that being posted. If that action leads to it being posted more, then it's textbook irony.

And yes, I obviously know that it is not your intent to offend and I am not a subject of the prejudices used in the comment in question, but if I was of the type to be offended by those words, I doubt I would like other people repeating them even in quote form.

Dead Man said:
But how will they know they might be offended if they don't know what it is? Catch 22?
By link, they will read it once, they won't need to read it again, even if other people link it. If it gets posted multiple times, they may read it again each time.

Planet_JASE said:
Question for all shrewd AusGAF shoppers: Where is the best place from which to buy in-ear headphones? Haven't had to buy a pair in mega years so I have no idea. Amazon taunts me with "We can't deliver to your address" crap even though I want to give them monies.
I bought a pair of Shure SE215s on advice from some AusGAFers (Rahk and someone else?) and I love the hell out of them. They're feel unbreakable (compared to other earphones I've had), sound great and are comfortable.

I tried to buy them from earphonesolutions.com but at the time they wouldn't deliver to Australia. If they can now, great, but I bought from headphones.com.au in Perth and they were pretty fast (if a lot more expensive).

tl;dr: Get Shure SE215s from headphones.com.au.

Edit: Looks like they're out of stock.

Fredescu

Clipper said:
It is ironic. The act of the ban was to stop stuff like that being posted. If that action leads to it being posted more, then it's textbook irony.
The act of the ban isn't intended to stop stuff like that being quoted. If someone posted an article for discussion where someone said what markot said, they wouldn't be banned.

Clipper said:
And yes, I obviously know that it is not your intent to offend and I am not a subject of the prejudices used in the comment in question, but if I was of the type to be offended by those words, I doubt I would like other people repeating them even in quote form.
I see what you're saying, but we quote offensive stuff in this thread from news articles every day and have a rage about it. It's not common etiquette to only link to things like that.

Clipper

Fredescu said:
The act of the ban isn't intended to stop stuff like that being quoted. If someone posted an article for discussion where someone said what markot said, they wouldn't be banned.

I see what you're saying, but we quote offensive stuff in this thread from news articles every day and have a rage about it. It's not common etiquette to only link to things like that.
I wholeheartedly agree that discussion about it and even the reposting in quote form of it for discussion wouldn't and shouldn't be bannable. It would shut down a lot of valid and useful conversation. However, we aren't really discussing it any more, the reasons are clear, so putting the quote up on its own just seems to give the original words more power. It's an ethical dilemma, and I don't think it's wrong to repost the quote on it's own, but perhaps that we probably just shouldn't post it either.

Rahk

codswallop said:
I bought a pair of Shure SE215s on advice from some AusGAFers (Rahk and someone else?) and I love the hell out of them. They're feel unbreakable (compared to other earphones I've had), sound great and are comfortable.

I tried to buy them from earphonesolutions.com but at the time they wouldn't deliver to Australia. If they can now, great, but I bought from headphones.com.au in Perth and they were pretty fast (if a lot more expensive).

tl;dr: Get Shure SE215s from headphones.com.au.

Edit: Looks like they're out of stock.
I've found you really need something with decent build quality otherwise they can die pretty quickly if you're not super careful with them. First two in-ears I bought were V-Sonic and HiFi Man. Good sound but died after a few months. Then I got the Westone UM3X which were great for over a year until I lost them. Then I got the SE215 as a cheap replacement, which I am impressed with for the price and they've been going well for several months. Great build quality plus you can remove the cable and replace it if it ever dies.

I find that Sennheisers are typically overpriced for what you get, but they're pretty much all that is available in stores here. Their lower end headphones are bass heavy, have an unclear/muffled sound and lack detail. Never tried their in-ears though.

To: Rezbit, Rahk, Shaneus, jambo & codswallop
Re: Response

All,

You are godly gods amongst godly men. I thank you for your response but now you have my attention split between the Sennys and the Shures. When I had a look earlier today it seems it seemed the Senny 300/400 were the way to go. Now, though, I have another consideration in the Shures, backed my the venerable spirits of codswallop & Rahk; these seem to be an excellent set by all accounts, too. However, Shaneus used the phrase "o Jase my Jase," which counts for a fair amount.

Hmmmmmmm... looking at earphonesolutions, their international courier charge is $30, which put their price inline with headphones.com.au $125 price. Not sure if I want to risk a $100 headset using the $5 posting option.

However, the Sennys are only $69, which puts them at half the price.

Have any of you fine gentlemen, perchance, used both of these headphones and could pass judgement? I, by no means, have any qualms spending $125 of the Shures if they are worth the price but if they only just out perform a set priced $50 less...

As a bit of background, I will used these mainly when running, so they need to stay in place. When not listening to podcasts (which negates the quality aspect, I know) they will be put through their paces playing mainly electronica and rock.

Your responses, all, have been truly appreciated.

Planet_JASE said:
Have either of you fine gentle perchance used both of these headphones and could pass judgement?

My housemate uses the Senny's. He's on his third pair since he first bought one last year. Senny's have too much bass and build quality is not the best. The Shures I had were much better and any day worth the extra cash.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
6 months with the girl tomorrow.

Like to point out I have called her 'babe' once. The most stupid 'pet' name for a significant other.

‘Hey babe’ <-- Fuck right off.

Shaneus

I've gone through a few pairs of the Sennheisers. First set were ruined when I caught the cable on something. Might've been a table, might've been a hot chick trying to grab my attention. one stayed in my ear, the other fell out... cable split. Second set I inadvertently left half-hanging out my car door. They didn't survive and I had to deal with stock iPhone headphones until I could replace them. It was horrible.

On my third set now, but it's actually the iPhone-remote ones. Same things but different model.

I've had heaps of in-ear ones inbetween these three pairs, but they just feel like a good comfort headphone. Not flashy, but sound more expensive than they are. Don't forget they're easy to buy, too... can be found pretty much anywhere for a decent price.

The Shures may be better (and I wouldn't know, haven't listened to em before) but as someone who's a pretty nerdy audiophile, I can tell you that you'll do far worse than the Sennheisers. Worst case, you'll find them merely servicable. Chances are you'll be happier with them than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msD6pu3vQNI
This was pretty awesome. The Japanese get all the cool commercials.

Wow. People really are being moronic over the fact that Naughty Dog have said they will do map packs for Uncharted 3. Just like Uncharted 2. And every other big game of the last 3 years that has a MP component. I mean, even Homefront just released a map pack for christ sake! The fact that they are offering a Gears 3/LA Noire style season pass should be a good thing, not bad.

RandomVince said:
There's a great potential for an in depth philosophical debate on that threads news bit. But gaf is not the place it will happen.
The biggest thing we have as humans is choice. A lot of people don't want to see that element of choice changed in their society. Slowly people will come around to it.

codswallop said:
Bagels and cream cheese represent
Fresh bread rolls from the deli cut up with hummus on them. JOYFUL.

x3n05 said:
Hmmm, our order of 10 shirts got lost as well. What's going on with all these missing threadless orders?
Jay Jays et al are running a racket with the couriers to destroy any clothing packages from overseas. Maybe if Threadless pretend to be a pet food company a few more packages will get through the blockade.

midonnay

plastic sennheisers don't last very long if you have a big head :/

fucking built-in obsolescence

I guess the selling point is that its modular and you can replace parts

Planet_JASE said:
Have any of you fine gentlemen, perchance, used both of these headphones and could pass judgement? I, by no means, have any qualms spending $125 of the Shures if they are worth the price but if they only just out perform a set priced $50 less....
Though I haven't used both, I can attest that the Shures were comfortable on a recent 10-hour flight and managed to cut out enough noise that I even slept with them in without any music on.

I personally feel Sennheisers are overpriced and overappreciated, but that might be due to the cheap ($50) pair I have for when I use the PC. Shure are well known in the performance market (mics and headphones).

I think they sound great--I'm not one for dissecting audio quality since my hearing's not very good--and I owe many thanks to Rahk (and someone else, who I forget, sorry!) for recommending the SE215s.

Oh yes, and the cables on the things really do feel sturdy. Quite possibly overly thick, but I can live with that. The only thing you might find weird is that the cable goes over the ear and the buds are sort of upside down. Takes a bit to get used to but not something that should put you off.

Edit: Vietnamese baker who lives across the road and gives us boxes of free bread >>>>>>>>>>>>>> all.

midonnay

the cricket world cup wasn't in HD at all >_>

its a big scam. They got stuck with mpeg2 because of the country jumping in to digital tv early.

so HD got sacrificed for multichannels.

situation won't get any better until they upgrade to h264. (or the sporting bodies take action)

HolyCheck said:
lolololololol!
The fans get reamed again. Television rights have really been fantastic, how about some damn live-required clauses for fucks sake?

midonnay said:
the cricket world cup wasn't in HD at all >_>
its a big scam. They got stuck with mpeg2 because of the country jumping in to digital tv early.
so HD got sacrificed for multichannels.
situation won't get any better until they upgrade to h264. (or the sporting bodies take action)
Too expensive to upgrade the cameras at a lot of grounds. Would be nice to see governing bodies get off their arses and throw the money down to better the sport for the fans. lol again.

midonnay

nah, not the cameras...... there are millions of set top boxes that can only support mpeg2 so it may take a decade before there is a transition to the more efficient standard.

New Zealand didn't jump in as early as us and now have better looking television >_>

remz

roosters93 said:
All this talk is making me strongly consider getting shures the next time my sennys break.
Audio Technica Ad900, or Alessandro MS-1s for me... guarantee they own every other headphone in this thread P:

Deeku

codswallop said:
I think they sound great--I'm not one for dissecting audio quality since my hearing's not very good--and I owe many thanks to Rahk (and someone else, who I forget, sorry!) for recommending the SE215s.
Ugh, it was meeeee fool!!!

:)

midonnay said:
nah, not the cameras...... there are millions of set top boxes that can only support mpeg2 so it may take a decade before there is a transition to the more efficient standard.
Ah of course, sorry my irritation at other things distracted me. At least they didn't rush Digital as bad as 3D, wonder when that is going to come back around.

Shaneus

If mine break, I'm gonna replace it with a Dick Smith Funway into Electronics mono ear plug.

Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about:
c8e576e8e2a659a59372b535241434d414f4541.jpg

Shaneus said:
I've had heaps of in-ear ones inbetween these three pairs, but they just feel like a good comfort headphone. Not flashy, but sound more expensive than they are. Don't forget they're easy to buy, too... can be found pretty much anywhere for a decent price.

The Shures may be better (and I wouldn't know, haven't listened to em before) but as someone who's a pretty nerdy audiophile, I can tell you that you'll do far worse than the Sennheisers. Worst case, you'll find them merely servicable. Chances are you'll be happier with them than that.
The first part that I've quoted is very compelling. Cheap, sound better that they should, and are easy to get a hold of. The last point only seems to only matter because everyone that's bought a pair seems to have to buy 3 :)

The last point is quite important to me. I'm a reasonable level audiophile, whose tolerance is very heavily tempered by my budget, how much use they'll get and just exactly what that use will be. If I'm being honest with myself they'll mainly get used for podcasts and music while running, so the audio quality will need to be great enough that it cuts through the sound of my own ragged breath, thumping of foot of footpath and ambient traffic noise.

This puts the Senny's in front, so far. The build quality worries me somewhat.

codswallop said:
Though I haven't used both, I can attest that the Shures were comfortable on a recent 10-hour flight and managed to cut out enough noise that I even slept with them in without any music on.

I personally feel Sennheisers are overpriced and overappreciated, but that might be due to the cheap ($50) pair I have for when I use the PC. Shure are well known in the performance market (mics and headphones).

Oh yes, and the cables on the things really do feel sturdy. Quite possibly overly thick, but I can live with that. The only thing you might find weird is that the cable goes over the ear and the buds are sort of upside down. Takes a bit to get used to but not something that should put you off.

Edit: Vietnamese baker who lives across the road and gives us boxes of free bread >>>>>>>>>>>>>> all.
Hmmmmm... I like the sound of the build quality of the Shures, I really do. Also, they look like they may be a bit more suitable for running, as well. The design of them doesn't worry me at all, as I've had ones like that before. In fact, I'm sure I have an old set someone, I just for the life of me can't find them.

So basically I need to decide between Quality vs Price + Accessibility. The accessibility part is negated if the Shures won't break in 5 month.

So, quality vs price.

Thank you to everyone for you input. I really, truly appreciate your input.

Hang on... A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!!

remz said:
Audio Technica Ad900, or Alessandro MS-1s for me... guarantee they own every other headphone in this thread P:
:( Great, more choice...

Edit: They're not In-Ear :D The challenger is asked to leave. Huzzuh!

Deeku

Planet_JASE said:
So basically I need to decide between Quality vs Price + Accessibility. The accessibility part is negated if the Shures won't break in 5 month.

So, quality vs price.

Thank you to everyone for you input. I really, truly appreciate your input.

Hang on... A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!!

:( Great, more choice...
All shures, I think, come with a 2 year replacement warranty. So in the event that they do break, you send them in and they'll send you back a new pair. You probably won't need to use it though, I've had a few shures, oldest pair being 6 years, and they're all still in good nick. But I do take care of my shit, so I guess it depends.

Shaneus

Jase: I'm not sure what you're using as a source, but I would STRONGLY recommend getting one of these fuckers:
sansa-clip-8.jpg

Sansa Clip+. Not my hand.

After reading a metric fucktonne of reviews on them, I bought one off CotD for $50 (I thought it was new, was later told it was fact. refurb. Bit of a bitch, but whatever) and chucked in a 16gb microSD. Installed Rockbox and it's by far the best sounding audio player I've had... actually, probably about par with my Rio Karma.

With the Senny headphones, dial the lowest frequency down about ,2dB (? from memory) in Rockbox and it sounds perfect. Hooked the same 'plugs up to my iPhone and the difference was astonishing. Don't even listen to music on my iPhone at all any more, despite having to carry around 2 devices (the tactile feedback alone is better than using a touchscreen).

Planet_JASE said:
I like the sound of the build quality of the Shures, I really do. Also, they look like they may be a bit more suitable for running, as well.
I'm a self-confessed headphone-wrecker. I bought a pair of Philips noise-canceling earphones over Christmas in Singapore on a whim and they lasted maybe a month. Just plain up and broke, I can't even see where, but the cables are flimsy enough that I'm sure I busted something somewhere.

The Shures might not be as easy to stuff into a pair of jeans (actually I haven't tried, but I doubt they'd like it) but I feel like they'll last. The over ear thing is probably good for running, but in-ear phones should stay in if snug anyway...

Engadget said:
Andy just confirmed that Pittsburgh-based PittPatt, which Google acquired earlier this year, was responsible for the front-facing Face Unlock feature that we saw this morning. In fact, Google had to "slow down the process" because PittPatt's software was too fast to make folks believe that any security at all was involved.
Not quite sure if I believe that, but interesting if true... despite total failure in the demo at the press conference. The video of it looks good though.

Also!
Andy's showing off some easter egg on the Face Unlock feature that warps Walt's face, much like mashing the C-arrows in the intro to Mario 64.

Rahk

Jase, if you use earphone solutions look for a coupon code! AUSTRALIA = 10% off and there might even be better ones.

I just tried adding Shure to my account at earphone solutions and it seems to go through to the checkout. Cod, do you remember when it told you that you couldn't get them shipped to Australia? Was it after you put in credit card details etc.?

codswallop said:
The Shures might not be as easy to stuff into a pair of jeans (actually I haven't tried, but I doubt they'd like it) but I feel like they'll last. The over ear thing is probably good for running, but in-ear phones should stay in if snug anyway...
I frequently stuff them in my pants, usually not for extended periods of time though. When I'm not using them I just shove them in my bag. They're still fine after months of abuse.

But yeah, if running is going to be involved I probably wouldn't even bother with anything Sennheiser apart from the sports in-ear model, which appears to be $130 at JB. All the other models appear to be pretty flimsy.

The over ear design of the SE215 prevent them from easily falling out, and they isolate outside noise pretty well so you won't need to blast music to be able to hear it while running. You'll probably still be able to hear yourself running, but I doubt this is avoidable even with the sports model Sennheisers.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Bookmarked into my 'Hats' folder for investigation in the future when I take up night walking/running again.
Thank you deer sir.
Ewe are welcome! Do as much investigation into them as you can. Once you do, you'll want to kick yourself for not getting them sooner. Mine was a 4gb btw, but 20 once I got the memory stick. All up, around $70.

Not sure where to find them now... eBay maybe? Don't pay more than $50/$60 though, because I'm sure they'll appear again on CotD sooner or later for that price again.

Top Bottom