• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Fredescu said:
Right stick to make the keeper dive.
I tried that and it didn't seem to do anything. I also tried mashing every control and I guess the keeper thought he knew better. No idea why they all kept stuttering when taking their shot, either.

Might have another crack tonight. If I can get some semblance of comfort with the game in the demo I might be inclined to pick up the real thing.

Choc

Banned
David Jaffe is amazing

'Amazing this review is the one being called 'controversial'. To me, the 10/10 review that either mentions the flaws of the game and still gives a perfect score OR the review that doesn't mention the flaws at all (an even worse crime, assuming the reviewer thought there WERE flaws) is the true controversial review. Gamers that don't see this as a problem need to wake up to the PR machine cause the Matrix has you. '

Exactly what i said with the 5/5 Gamespy review for BF3

Omikron

Tntnnbltn said:
There's a 30 second ad before I can watch a 40 second clarification on how they stuffed up. -_-

Oh, its worth it.

Presenter couldn't get through all the errors quick enough. Gotta be a clarification in an attempt to prevent an ACMA investigation.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Oh, its worth it.

Presenter couldn't get through all the errors quick enough. Gotta be a clarification in an attempt to prevent an ACMA investigation.

will happen regardless. They are fucked.

As soon as someone reports something the ACMA has to look at it.

Omikron

Choc said:
will happen regardless. They are fucked.

As soon as someone reports something the ACMA has to look at it.
Channel 9 sacked some people because they reported saying they were in a helicopter over the scene but instead they were on the pad.

That TT 'investigation' has far more potential to do damage.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Channel 9 sacked some people because they reported saying they were in a helicopter over the scene but instead they were on the pad.

That TT 'investigation' has far more potential to do damage.

like i said yesterday the journalist should be sacked and the producer

what he did is illegal in every state but QLD (and he knew it)

recording people for tv without their knowledge. Dear QLD wake the fuck up and make that illegal

Omikron

Choc said:
like i said yesterday the journalist should be sacked and the producer

what he did is illegal in every state but QLD (and he knew it)

recording people for tv without their knowledge. Dear QLD wake the fuck up and make that illegal

Can we link this to flouride in the water?

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Well what are you up to on the weekend? It is a family weekend away so I'm not sure how much time I will have.
Oh, I don't care anymore. I got my quote.

Seriously though, nothing planned. I should be cleaning the house and stupid, responsible stuff like that but if you'll be in town I'll make sure I'm free! Don't let it impact in the slightest on your family thing though. I know (in all honesty) I'd personally rather have family time when I can over friends pulling me away, I'm sure you're the same. Tiny kids > adults.

God damn. Trying to read that Jaffe blog thing, and almost suffocated on this sentence:
Eurogamer's conclusion/criticism about games that are super heavy on the 'experience' at the expense of the 'play' (like they claim Uncharted 3 is and like- by my own admission- GOD OF WAR 1 is***) is wonderfully thought out and presented and the only reason it's been labeled 'controversial' has nothing to do with the review itself and everything to do with the sad state of game consumers who have been so effectively conditioned by a number of the gaming press/gaming PR machines that these gamers leap to a title's defense-not that this gem of a game needs defending- without even being open to the reviewer's criticism (be it valid or not)
That, and half the time I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not. Haven't finished reading it, though.

Bernbaum said:
Someone, somewhere has bought and owns the Samuel L. Jackson arm from Jurassic Park.

My mission in life is to meet
and murder
this lucky person.
It's all IT up in this thread.

jambo

My bet is on GTA V being set in Washington D.C.

Also I've always found it interesting that most people say that GTA should to stay within the US, even though it's made by a British studio.

Having said that, I agree that it should stick to the US.

Darklord said:
If it's like GTA4 and not a spiritual sequel to SA I'll be gutted. It sold more than any GTA and for good reason!

GTA IV actually surpassed GTA SA in sales last month, 22 M to 21.5 M ;)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So i'm thinking of biting the bullet and picking up the little HP proliant microserver as my storage box. I won't actually be picking up any hard drives as they have increased in price and will continue to increase due to the floods.

This little thing

I'm thinking I might throw in some older smaller hard drives and mess around with unraid, freenas, whs 2011, linux + mdadm etc etc. To see which one ends up being the best solution before i decide to throw all my media on it.

evlcookie said:
So i'm thinking of biting the bullet and picking up the little HP proliant microserver as my storage box.
I just picked up a Synology DS1511+ a couple of weeks ago. Besides one of the HDDs being DOA I've found it really great. Much better than my old WHS box; it's smaller, quieter, runs everything I need, and plenty of stuff I don't.

Jintor

Choc said:
David Jaffe is amazing

'Amazing this review is the one being called 'controversial'. To me, the 10/10 review that either mentions the flaws of the game and still gives a perfect score OR the review that doesn't mention the flaws at all (an even worse crime, assuming the reviewer thought there WERE flaws) is the true controversial review. Gamers that don't see this as a problem need to wake up to the PR machine cause the Matrix has you. '

Exactly what i said with the 5/5 Gamespy review for BF3

I agree with him on the latter part, but a 10/10 review that mentions flaws is a controversial review? Most places I see these days clarify that a 10/10 game (or 5/5 game) isn't a perfect crystal gem of a game that has zero flaws or problems that will ever be found.

Bernbaum

I bought the Steve Jobs bio on iBooks, thinking it would be a nice distraction for me to read between my regular batch of fiction, and then this morning someone gets in the elevator with a hardbound copy and the book is fucking huge.

Choc

Banned
Bernbaum said:
I bought the Steve Jobs bio on iBooks, thinking it would be a nice distraction for me to read between my regular batch of fiction, and then this morning someone gets in the elevator with a hardbound copy and the book is fucking huge.

interesting

i bought it from book depository so this interests me a lot. If its to big ill just get the ipad version lol

jambo

Bernbaum said:

It's 929 pages on the default iPad iBook settings, although that includes the footnotes and other stuff.

Jintor

Well, at least one of his books was too big for the binding to physically hold it as a single book, so he just split it into two.

I have a copy of ASoS that's a single paperback volume. The problem isn't the volume of his writing but the huge-arse font publishers like to use for printing.

A Bible printed at that font would be heavy enough to kill someone with.

Help me AusGaf Kenobi. You're my only hope (without going to whirlpool)

My parents want prepaid internet for their hous Since they spend large chunks of the year in Europe, they don't want a contract. What's a really good prepaid option.

They have used a (i'm guessing 3G) dongle modem from Crazy Johns for the last two years but that only lets them use one laptop and they now have a hand-me-down iPad 1. It's also pretty sluggish. They just browse the net and check email.

Preferably better than the barely there Optus reception I get with my iPhone when I visit them.

Choc

Banned
ClivePwned said:

My parents want prepaid internet for their hous Since they spend large chunks of the year in Europe, they don't want a contract. What's a really good prepaid option.

They have used a (i'm guessing 3G) dongle modem from Crazy Johns for the last two years but that only lets them use one laptop and they now have a hand-me-down iPad 1. It's also pretty sluggish. They just browse the net and check email.

Preferably better than the barely there Optus reception I get with my iPhone when I visit them.

Telstra wifi router

$99

Omikron

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I have a copy of ASoS that's a single paperback volume. The problem isn't the volume of his writing but the huge-arse font publishers like to use for printing.

A Bible printed at that font would be heavy enough to kill someone with.

The bible doesn't have to be heavy to result in people dying.

midonnay

ClivePwned said:

nearer inner city - vividwireless (best bang for buck)

outer suburbs - Telstra (best coverage)

if you buy the devices outright (gateway router, vivifi etc) vividwireless doesn't have a contract.... its month to month.

jambo

ClivePwned said:

My parents want prepaid internet for their house. Since they spend large chunks of the year in Europe, they don't want a contract. What's a really good prepaid option.

Get them to pick up a Telstra pre-paid mobile broadband plan that comes with a Portable Wi-Fi hotspot and not just a USB dongle.

Gazunta

Tomorrow night for us on on 360 Choc :)

The wife has been dutifully warned that Daytona will be what's happening that night so no Real Housewives of Nebraska or whatever.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
codswallop said:
I just picked up a Synology DS1511+ a couple of weeks ago. Besides one of the HDDs being DOA I've found it really great. Much better than my old WHS box; it's smaller, quieter, runs everything I need, and plenty of stuff I don't.

I thought about picking up a synology as well. One of the cheaper 4 bay ones. I think because it uses it's own thing for raiding, I'm a little afraid that if it does bite the dust then i'm stuck with hard drives i can't recover stuff from. Where as if i use say WHS then it's at least in ntfs and i can just try and pick stuff off it.

Unraid seems to suggest that if you do lose say 2 drives in a 4 drive raid, You can still get whatever data is off the 2 drives left instead of it all being lost.

Also I think part of me wants to learn what a raid is all about, why i'm using it, if i even should use it and so on. On top of that it would give me a chance to learn a little more about home networking since the goal is for it to be connected to my house (when i get one, ok if i get one) sometime down the future.

I seem to learn and retain information best when i'm actually hands on, Reading a book or a wiki gets me no fucking where.

Yagharek

Jintor said:
I agree with him on the latter part, but a 10/10 review that mentions flaws is a controversial review? Most places I see these days clarify that a 10/10 game (or 5/5 game) isn't a perfect crystal gem of a game that has zero flaws or problems that will ever be found.

The 10 from IGN is and should be controversial because its nothing but ball-licking from a juvenile site full of manchildren "reviewers". It would have some meaning if they actually criticised games, had some credibility in general despite their shitty articles all the time, had some writing skills and saved just a little bit of hyperbole from time to time.

A 10 from ign is as meaningless as asking a hyperactive pre-diabetic 12yo if they like chocolate. Of course they fucking do - neither have any self control.

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:
Tomorrow night for us on on 360 Choc :)

The wife has been dutifully warned that Daytona will be what's happening that night so no Real Housewives of Nebraska or whatever.

Nope should be tonight about 9pm

X360 is updated Wednesday evenings

Gazunta

Choc said:
Nope should be tonight about 9pm

X360 is updated Wednesday evenings
OH SHIT YES YOU'RE RIGHT

DAYTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

new c64 iOS app and Daytona, Best day ever confirmed

Choc

Banned
if you want to see fifa go mental fred

go into the sliders and turn up acceleration and running speed to 100 for both CPU and USER

lol

What the hell is it about the Uncharted franchise that makes Sony fanboys lose their marbles? I see it in Vita threads all the time wherein they invariably list Uncharted Vita as an undisputable system seller. They hail it as the second coming of Call of Duty, Halo or Mario when in sales terms, it is probably more on par with Metroid or Demon’s Souls.

Top Bottom