• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Shaneus

evlcookie said:
How does Daytona handle with a controller?

Maybe I will grab it on psn, first time I've turned my console on in months
Pretty good with a controller. Little twitchy, but not as bad as 2001 on its best settings. The speed wheel, despite lack of FF and decent rumble, is surprisingly awesome with it. Seriously. If Daytona was the only game you could play with it, it would still be worth the $60.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
fappenmeister said:
Having the Coles song stuck in your head interfering with your sleep pattern isn't awesome. At all.

Down down prices are-SHUTUP

Fuck you fap-pen-mesit-er !

@Shaneus - So what's the #1 advanced time on the leaderboards? I'm guessing it has global boards.

Shaneus

evlcookie said:
Fuck you fap-pen-mesit-er !

@Shaneus - So what's the #1 advanced time on the leaderboards? I'm guessing it has global boards.
Will tell you when I get home. Remind me tonight!

PS. Try getting the Daytona theme stuck in your head. There you go.

Bernbaum said:
It's against the rules to have an alt account, reptilescorpio.
I don't. I mean this is my alt... no, uh. I'm not his altern... uh... errrr... geeeez.

Uhhhh, well... I am not affiliated with reptilescorpio, any of his subsidiaries nor his parent company, OzGameShop.

HolyCheck said:
Does anyone else get depressed when they're not included in one of these now pagely giant quote posts?
Great, now I'm your enabler. Happy now? We're both in a dysfunctional relationship now.

Shaneus said:
I *am* bringing a webcam.
My popcorn and lubricant is ready.

Shaneus said:
PS. The best ever form of Milo was the ORIGINAL Milo bars which was essentially bricks of Milo covered in a tiny little bit of chocolate. Then they started adding caramel and rice bubbles and shit and that was the day my childhood died.
I cannot disagree with this. Try as I might, I cannot.

Shaneus said:
Grease Dance for Kinect?!? Sign me up, motherfuckers. I'll get my T-Birds jacket while it downloads.
*sigh*

commanderdeek said:
I think there was only one person that genuinely thought that, but I'm still not sure if he was serious or not.
On those long, lonely nights it doesn't matter what's real or not.

Shaneus said:
You know, I think this Games on Demand thing is really going to take off here in Australia:
http://i.imgur.com/ZhWHO.jpg
I don't even think that it came out at that price for retail, did it? I seem to think that most places were selling it for $79.95 upon release. Anyway, even though I already own it and could still pick it up for under $20 I'm willing to pay the premium for the convenience of playing it off of my harddrive.

reptilescorpio said:
I like to think that I am starting a revolution against something or other. Maybe it is meant to be a reminder that everyone should be doing more work and less constant posting on GAF. Maybe I am looking out for you guys and your productivity, which in no small part is making this partially great nation move forward. Not backward. Forever swirling around and around.
I agree with you, person on the internet of whom I have never met and am not now, nor have ever been reptilescorpio. My work hours have changed, I have less time to visit a couple of times during the day and sometimes don't get a chance in the evening of morning to look at this thread. HyperPosts are the only way to catch up.

I remember back in the day (gather around children, an old man is talking) I was part of an email group. I forget what the old name of this technology was, but it got consumed by Yahoo and became YahooGroups. Anyway, you would send an email to a particular email address and that would distribute it to all the members.

The group had a rule which was that you weren't allowed to post multiple times per day and you had to HyperPost 9if you had multiple things to say). During it's heyday it received quite a number of posts and all the discussions were quite intelligent and involved.

tl;dr most emails sent to the group were gigantic ubernovels of discussion and ideas that would even make my reptilescorpio's posts look diminutive.

Rahk said:
I think they joined around the same time too. Probably approved in the same batch. Hmm.
Internet Detecting is a bannable offence. Keep on diggin' buddy and I'll make sure you go down with me. I mean us. I mean we won't go down because I, I mean we have done nothing wrong.

Fredescu said:
Going to have a guess and say that there is not as much day 1 demand for DVDs and Blu Ray's because usually the content has already been viewed and they're often a purchase for second viewing.
I don't think I agree. I think there is probably the same small percentage of people that get a movie day one much like with the gaming community. Having said that, I think this may have diminished slightly i recent years and it's moved to a day one download attitude. Much like the day one complete season DVD release of a series has been replaced with week by week TV Rip downloads of each episode.

RandomVince said:
Can someone explain to me how street dates are good for the customer?
Apart from the points Fred and Choc have brought may I also posit this: it ensures all stores have the product in stock. As many larger chains get their shipments early by necessity, they have a greater opportunity to sell early. If they sell early this takes sales away from smaller shops which makes it harder for them to stay open which reduces competition which allows a store to charge whatever price they want.

If you think the local prices are bad now, imagine what they could be if there is only one chain that the can buy them from.

Shaneus said:
Eurogamer:

Uncharted 3 - 8/10
Daytona USA - 9/10
Troll :)

I dare you to post that in the UC3 review thread.

reptilescorpio said:
Some places ship well in advance of street date. I got my copy of Tactics Ogre from Zavvi the same day it was available in the UK. Amazon and Newegg sound like they ship a few days before release too.
OzGameShop doesn't, as I just found out with Batman. They shipped it on release date in England, with us being 10 hours ahead, that pretty much meant that they sent it at the end of release day for us, which was 2 or 3 days after most places started selling it over here. Le sigh, still no Batmans.

Salazar said:
Reptile messed up some quote tags. He's slipping.
The title shall be mine.

Omikron

I bought The Watchman + The Walking Dead (books) yesterday, in guilt today I put money on my mortgage.

Thinking this guilt spending could work.

Fredescu

Planet_JASE said:
I don't think I agree. I think there is probably the same small percentage of people that get a movie day one much like with the gaming community. Having said that, I think this may have diminished slightly i recent years and it's moved to a day one download attitude. Much like the day one complete season DVD release of a series has been replaced with week by week TV Rip downloads of each episode.
It's not a small percentage with games. Week 1 at least is the best sales week for most games, and usually by a very wide margin. I admit to being completely ignorant of the sales patterns for DVDs. I also admit to being a little too happy that I was finally quoted in a megapost.

Bernbaum

Shaneus said:
Pretty good with a controller. Little twitchy, but not as bad as 2001 on its best settings. The speed wheel, despite lack of FF and decent rumble, is surprisingly awesome with it. Seriously. If Daytona was the only game you could play with it, it would still be worth the $60.
Fantastic news.

That speed wheel is great.

senahorse

evlcookie said:
How does Daytona handle with a controller?

Maybe I will grab it on psn, first time I've turned my console on in months

pfft

This Cookie:

wheelpromain.jpg

do it :D

but put the shifter on the proper side

senahorse

The stand is great, very sturdy and adjustable. I have a full cockpit as well but it took up too much room. The beauty of the wheelstand is when I am done with it I can just fold it up and put in the corner or in a closet :)

Fredescu said:
It's not a small percentage with games. Week 1 at least is the best sales week for most games, and usually by a very wide margin. I admit to being completely ignorant of the sales patterns for DVDs. I also admit to being a little too happy that I was finally quoted in a megapost.
While I will agree that the DVD market certainly has longer legs than the game market the first 3 to 4 weeks of a DVD's release window is similar.

For example, sales for the recent Harry Potter film dropped 43% in the second week of it's release. The recent Transformers file debuted at #1 in it's first week with 716000 unit and two weeks later sold only 220 000. This is slightly more surprising when you think of the lack of social integration of DVDs, as far as multiplayer style functions go.

There's a few sites that deal with weekly sales of box office / DVD / Blu-ray. One I found was http://www.the-numbers.com.

Shaneus

Bernbaum said:
Fantastic news.

That speed wheel is great.
I still can't come to terms with using it in FM4... just doesn't feel like I could get close to the times I get with a controller. It is a great peripheral, just a shame it doesn't detect tilt as well. Going left to right in Afterburner Climax is AMAZING, but there's no way to go up or down :(

But yeah, with Daytona, it works really, really well. Gave the accel/brake max sensitivity for the triggers and kept the gear changes on the face buttons. Force feedback setting doesn't seem to make any difference, but there are heaps of corners that require a slight turn which just aren't possible with the 360 pad's analogue stick.

Jintor

Seriously, idiots in Gaming? Uncharted 3 is "critically flopping"? Go fuck yourselves.

/edit false alert, drinky troll thread

Jintor

Anyway, I need a new phone, sub $200, unlocked so I can jam my old SIM in there. Ozbargins says vodaphone stores have some kind of crazy-ass sale going on that's not yet being advertised or whatever for discontinued stock, so that might be my best bet, but what does Ausgaf recommend?

Gazunta

Choc said:
gaz did you read my blog, what u think?
You pretty much hit the nail on the head and a lot of what you said matched some of the conversations that happened in the office yesterday and this morning.

Not only will this kind of thing end midnight launches (which is a damn shame, because I really enjoy them) but it'll be the end of us getting games day and date (or even ahead of time like NSMB Wii) with overseas. If we can't be 'trusted' to stick to a street date then we're going to go back to waiting a few weeks after the US releases, which just means more imports, which lowers local orders, which means some games don't get local releases at all.

Which probably won't affect anyone in this thread, but still. :)

November 7 to 11 is gonna be really interesting.

Gazunta

evlcookie said:
People using 4 - 2 - 4 gear changes in daytona and even 2 - 3 - 4 make me wanna cry.
Wait, why? I've always gone 4-2-4 on Sonic turn. Should I be going 4-3-4?

Fuck me Daytona is incredible. I wish I wasn't on a strict NAT. I wish I knew how to fix that. If that means I need to buy a new router or whatever, so be it? How can I find out?

Gazunta

codswallop said:
Latest comic was spot on, Gaz.
Thanks! I totally forgot I didn't do a comic last night, Daytona will do that to a man.

One of those "This is gonna suck I only have 30 minutes to do this before work oh God it's gonna suck" situations that turned into "huh, I really like this one a lot how the HELL did that happen?!" deals.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Gazunta said:

Fuck me Daytona is incredible. I wish I wasn't on a strict NAT. I wish I knew how to fix that. If that means I need to buy a new router or whatever, so be it? How can I find out?

No no, You never go 4 - 3 - 4. The secret to success is 4 - 1 - 4 around that first corner.

You also never go 4 - 2 - 4 around any of the rest of the corners. What you use is a secret! (well not really) but i'm going to pretend like it is, until i get the game and beat people's times, then it's yours for free! ( again, not really)

Yagharek

I'm enjoying Arkham City now that I've passed that tricky boss. I don't like the pure trial and error method though. Doesn't feel as organic as say metal gear, Zelda or metroid boss battles. I'll probably grab it on Wii u too. Its only a minor quibble. The next boss battle was excellent though. That forced variety did play like an mgs3 boss battle. Sort of like the fear.

Still don't get why catwoman was put in a pass. You never use her.

legend166

I wish I got Batman used. Every time the Catwoman parts came along I just went "ughhhhhhhhhh let me get back to Batman".

Talk about a pace killer.

Arkham Asylum >>>> City. Truth.

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
I see you got kotaku'd choccers

good job! Though fact-checking took a dive, according to comments.

some of them dont know what they are talking about jint :)

some do, absolutely, but some are wrong.

some of them are in such denial lol :)

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
I'm enjoying Arkham City now that I've passed that tricky boss. I don't like the pure trial and error method though. Doesn't feel as organic as say metal gear, Zelda or metroid boss battles. I'll probably grab it on Wii u too. Its only a minor quibble. The next boss battle was excellent though. That forced variety did play like an mgs3 boss battle. Sort of like the fear.

Still don't get why catwoman was put in a pass. You never use her.

You do, in the main missions its interspersed

if you dont have the code, it plays her missions as a cut scene

senahorse

Gazunta said:

Usually just means you need to forward a few ports to your xbox IP, or even just make the xbox a DMZ (really not a huge issue, as long as you set a static IP for your xbox's MAC address). I can go through it with you on steam chat some time to get it all working if you want.

Yagharek

Choc said:
You do, in the main missions its interspersed

if you dont have the code, it plays her missions as a cut scene

Ok, yes, you "DO" use her, but so rarely as to make it pointless.

Agreed with legend. Asylum is better, so far.

Edit: whoo, palindrome post.

jambo

Kerrby said:
Let us know if you get one!

Hopefully. I've seen them hanging around in a few JBs and EBs around town.

EDIT: Dammit just remembered I'm catching up with someone for lunch. Might do some late night shopping instead.

Jintor said:
Seriously, idiots in Gaming? Uncharted 3 is "critically flopping"? Go fuck yourselves.

/edit false alert, drinky troll thread

Looks like Drinky may have actually been banned this time.

Unless they can grey his name out without banning him

Edit: Looks like they just changed his name to be greyed out :lol

Shaneus

DualShadow said:
Looks like Drinky may have actually been banned this time.

Unless they can grey his name out without banning him
Custom tag :p Just like how my tag should say "Gold GAF subscriber" but they changed it back to Member so others wouldn't get an inferiority complex.

jambo

Shaneus said:
Custom tag :p Just like how my tag should say "Gold GAF subscriber" but they changed it back to Member so others wouldn't get an inferiority complex.

Yours should be something dirty about Webber.

Shaneus

jambo said:
Yours should be something dirty about Webber.
Nah, I actually like not having a custom tag. Mixin' with the common folk, that's my scene ;)

Besides, once F1 season's over I'll have to find something else to be a fanboy about for a few months! Wonder if Daytona or FM4 will still be topical enough by then...

Top Bottom