• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Jintor

RandomVince said:
Ok, yes, you "DO" use her, but so rarely as to make it pointless.

Agreed with legend. Asylum is better, so far.

Edit: whoo, palindrome post.

I tried to go back to the combat the other day. I missed all the incremental improvements that City has brought in. I think in game-design terms Arkham Asylum might be better because it choses to restrain itself in scope and in map design, but I enjoyed Arkham City a lot more.

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
GAF Gold Membership.
Yup. I had one, but because I don't want to gloat about my financial support of the site, I requested that it be changed back.

Because I'm just that awesome and modest.

Fredescu

DeathJr said:
Pardon my ignorance, but how does one go about getting a custom tag?
1. Stumble upon a tag fishing thread. Now that Dragona is gone I don't think these happen anymore.
2. Be involved in a megathread that an admin is also heavily involved in, ie NBA or NHL.
3. Do something really stupid. This doesn't happen anymore because people would be deliberately stupid just to get a tag. Immense stupidity still gets accusations of tag fishing, even though it rarely happens anymore.
4. Do something particularly amazing. Pretty rare. See: Feep, BruceLeeRoy
5. Organise a competition with admin involved and arrange a tag for the winner. Haven't seen this happen in a while, but Haunted got one for winning the Mario Strikers comp.
6. Be a mod.
7. Be friendly with an admin.

Fredescu said:
Those games aren't the middle ground, they were AAA budgeted games that didn't meet their targets. One of the devs was shuttered and the other had mass layoffs with those left behind doing interface work on CoD.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449832

This is what I am talking about when I say middle ground. Not $100 million games but the ones between nice indie games on the iOS and Steam and COD. AA games if you want to call them that.

Deeku

Dammit Fred, we could have convinced DeathJr to start a thread in the OT!

But I guess that would have been pretty mean.

DeathJr said:
Pardon my ignorance, but how does one go about getting a custom tag?
Do something amazingly awesome or amazingly stupid. Got my first one by making the mistake of thinking that a one-off decision not to brand me extended in the general case.

roosters93 said:
What is this referring to
Feep gave every GAFer a download code for his game (which I'm yet to redeem, by the way). BruceLeeroy made these incredibly in-depth OPs for official threads that could essentially double as marketing pamphlets.

Fredescu

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Feep gave every GAFer a download code for his game (which I'm yet to redeem, by the way).
He didn't get tagged for that.

BruceLeeroy made these incredibly in-depth OPs for official threads that could essentially double as marketing pamphlets.
The Uncharted 3 thread was tastefully understated.

Having trouble using my phone as a wifi hotspot. As soon as the hotspot becomes active, the 3g network disappears.

Same issue while using USB tethering. Problem with phone or network?

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:

This is what I am talking about when I say middle ground. Not $100 million games but the ones between nice indie games on the iOS and Steam and COD. AA games if you want to call them that.
That's not really middle ground. That's the second rung on the ladder. Those games aren't dead anyway. Stuff like Witcher 2, Dark Souls, Metro 2033. Profitable AA games.

Wait, so they never replaced his Scribblenauts dinosaur one? He gave everyone on GAF a free game, for crying out loud.
In the post Dragona era, tags are super rare. People in that thread basically begged over and over for him to even get the Scribblenauts one.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:

Yeah, that very much sucks. I'm actually finding more joy in the <AAA games already in my collection mainly due to the fact that they feel like they've had a bit more TLC put into them because they don't expect marketing alone to push it. Possibly also means they're more likely to be innovative in one way or another to set themselves apart read: The Saboteur, Blur.

To be honest, even looking back I think I've enjoyed all those games more than the AAA ones. Would something like Vanquish be categorised as AAA? I'm guessing not, given that there was very little marketing for it and there's definitely a feel to it that it's not a huge-budget title.

Choc

Banned
i am not going to defend IGN far from it but perhaps they should have told journalists that if you play on easy you dont get the full game

when i know that is the case with a game, i tell them to ensure they play on normal at least.

Yagharek

Jintor said:
I tried to go back to the combat the other day. I missed all the incremental improvements that City has brought in. I think in game-design terms Arkham Asylum might be better because it choses to restrain itself in scope and in map design, but I enjoyed Arkham City a lot more.

Asylum was a remarkably focused game, and all the better for it. City is a bit overwhelming and spreads itself a little thin, but as you tease more and more details from it, the better it gets.

Fredescu said:
In the post Dragona era, tags are super rare. People in that thread basically begged over and over for him to even get the Scribblenauts one.
That sucks. I'm pretty certain all my current tags are because of Dragona, though I suspect that my original tag was someone else trying to be funny.

Shaneus

Holy shit, WHEN THE FUCK DID SCRIBBLENAUTS COME OUT FOR iOS?!?!?!?!

Is it worth it? I only ever played a small demo on a DSL, never had the full game. $5.49.

Jintor

Shaneus said:

Is it worth it? I only ever played a small demo on a DSL, never had the full game. $5.49.

For six bucks? Fuck yes. It's Scribblenauts remix, too, which means you get the Adjective System of Super Scribblenauts and the levels of Scribblenauts 1 and 2.

Yagharek

Shaneus said:

Control issues like scribblenauts ds. That was fixed in super scribblenauts though.

Btw, ign can learn a lot from today tonight.

Jintor

Choc said:
i am not going to defend IGN far from it but perhaps they should have told journalists that if you play on easy you dont get the full game

when i know that is the case with a game, i tell them to ensure they play on normal at least.

The main thing that irks me about online sites getting stuff like this wrong is that the deadline for publication isn't as solid and as all-encompassing as print, so they shouldn't be rushing through games like that. Presumably they still have deadlines because they want the review to go up with the game, for instance, but this is just madness.

Also fuck that easy mode shit, I review games on hard! (Except when it's too hard!)

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
Control issues like scribblenauts ds. That was fixed in super scribblenauts though.

Btw, ign can learn a lot from today tonight.
Massive issues or just minor ones? Issues that wouldn't have been fixed in this "Remix" one? It IS 1.1 so I'm wondering if they were fixed or that was just a bug fix release...

legend166

Anyone up for some Renegade Ops tonight?

Also, I forgot to mention that I was on TV the other night. Joy of Sets. My sister was the crowd participant in "Not On My Network" and I was sitting next to here. Wheeeee!

Jintor

Shaneus said:
Massive issues or just minor ones? Issues that wouldn't have been fixed in this "Remix" one? It IS 1.1 so I'm wondering if they were fixed or that was just a bug fix release...

I don't know what Vince is talking about because Scribblenauts Remix on iOS is, as far as I know, the newest iteration combining features from both Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts.

Shaneus

Jintor said:
Holy shit, this is amazing.

IGN, IGN, how low can you go
How's your perfect 10 now, Uncharted 3 fans?
lol.gif

Perhaps if IGN played it on Normal they'd bump it down to an 8.
legend166 said:
Has it finally been released on PC yet?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:

Also, I forgot to mention that I was on TV the other night. Joy of Sets. My sister was the crowd participant in "Not On My Network" and I was sitting next to here. Wheeeee!

Sister?

Pics and video footage is required.

Also i'm surprised the show is still on, Isn't it getting like 5 people a week watching it?

Yagharek

Jintor said:
I don't know what Vince is talking about because Scribblenauts Remix on iOS is, as far as I know, the newest iteration combining features from both Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts.

And you review games? :p

Interesting.

Control issues were that touching an object would also often send max walking in that direction. Including to his death. Very frustrating.

The ds sequel moved character control to the d pad and item selection remained via touch screen.

Deeku

Choc said:
so the ASX

guy i know runs the infrastructure team @ ASX

feel sorry for him
:eek:

I had no idea since I've been immersed in my stupid assignment.

Couldn't have picked a better day to glitch I reckon, what with all the news happening now lol

jambo said:
Planning to use tethered laptop whilst driving?
Nope, I don't drive half the day anymore. New job is office job. Car is parked all day.

Anyway, any idea about the tethering problem? I've got internet at work but today the branch manager is visiting and he's using the desktop to play poker.

Jintor

RandomVince said:
And you review games? :p

Interesting.

Control issues were that touching an object would also often send max walking in that direction. Including to his death. Very frustrating.

The ds sequel moved character control to the d pad and item selection remained via touch screen.

I don't review iOS games :p

/actually I think we've gotten confused about something here. You're talking about the control problems with Scribblenauts DS, not Remix, right? In that case you're correct, that was frustrating as shit.

midonnay

you always see traders on the floor in movies screaming their heads off and waving their hands dramatically...... isn't it more orderly to input stuff into the computers?

Top Bottom